Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 party selling car (seller is brother of guy gone to states)

Options
  • 13-02-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Is written permission from his bro good enough by fax?
    How do I know what his sig ever looked like in the first place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hmmmmm, as a buyer, people are always aware...........and your right to be on edge about this. If i called about a car and discovered someone was selling it on behalf of someone, well - i'd probably go elsewhere as its a buyers market and there a lot of metal out there.

I'll give you an example. About 3 years ago, I had a verbal deal (subject to conditions) done on a 02 BMW x5 located in london. I was about to fly over to pay and collect the vehicle when I called the guy to finalise details and then he let slip he was selling the x5 for his mate who was gone back to south africa. Alarm bells started to go off in my mind.......and I persued a rigerious line of questioning resulting in a lot of questions not being answered satisfactorily in my mind. So, I walked away from the deal.

3rd party's can be off putting in a deal.....savvy buyers are aware out there and as a buyer, you are going to be sure. Otherwise you could lose all your hard earner.

best of luck anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

request a "colour" copy of drivers licence and passport from the real seller.
    this can be done very simply in this day and age. you dont need to keep them but just see them. it will give you the signature and photo. if its his brother then ther may be some resemblance. try and get it sent from his work email as canfirmation ring him at work if he is working in US.
    if they are genuine then this shouldnt be a problem for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

The colour ID copy is a good idea.

Just thinking I will then call Grisham at CSI - he owes me a favor and Interpol and run the IDs. The Lithuanian seller is off home after two years in Ire, the bro (owner) went to America.

Price is great, could easily be genuine, could easily be a scam.

Either way Im going to text him and offer him a swap for my GF motor bike (she said I could have it during our last fight) and my fathers lawn mower. (He said he was paving the entire garden)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Sounds dodgy as fcuk and is actually fraud seeing as someone has to forge the actual owners signature, I would have nothing to do with it. Remember this guy could be selling his mates car who's gone on holidays, a stolen car which he got the VLC of, really could be any number of ways it could be dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think you lot need to relax just a little bit. I've sold cars for my father, my mother, my brother, his fianceé, various friends etc. Never a problem.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think you lot need to relax just a little bit. I've sold cars for my father, my mother, my brother, his fianceé, various friends etc. Never a problem.

In your case did the buyers ask to meet the owner prior to the sale?
    Did you sign the log book for them?

In this case the owner isnt even in the country FFS.

Dont know about you but I cant risk loosing a few K on a dodgy motor.

There are naive, trusting buyers all over the place, me I prefer to err on the side of caution. The country is full of “relaxed” buyers who then got shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

If the log book corresponds with the car I cant see the problem ..it happens all the time with people selling cars for others

How do you think people have the log books in the first place ?

What exactly do people think is the conspiracy if the person on log book is not personally selling the car ?

Barr wrote: »
    If the log book corresponds with the car I cant see the problem ..it happens all the time with people selling cars for others

How do you think people have the log books in the first place ?

What exactly do people think is the conspiracy if the person on log book is not personally selling the car ?

If his say junkey bro sells the car while the owner is on hols and contests the sale on his return who do think will end up with the car?

Just because someone has the log book - doesnt mean they were given permission to sell it. Is it poss the log book was in the owners manual in the car when it was stolen?

Could the two people be in collusion to defraud in some way?

Without written proof stating that the third party has been given the ok to sell youd be naive to buy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The legal owner.

The legal owner.

Who is the legal owner in this case?

The bro sells without permission?

• Advertisement

This car in question is a 3.5K 2001 - Quick sale -(worth 6 - 6.5)
    and too good to be true.

Instead I will pay circa 8K from a dealer for a 2002

Id love to save that 4.5 but if the bro / flatmate / thief / junkey lover / is not arsed confirming all I have asked for, Id prefer a legit car that one that disappears without trace using the third set of keys he kept just for that purpose.

There are so many variations of what can happen when buying from a third party its just not worth the risk, and more so if both parties have no ties to this land

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

worded wrote: »
    In your case did the buyers ask to meet the owner prior to the sale?
    Did you sign the log book for them?
    Never. I have done, although i'd generally try to get whoever owned the car to sign.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Never. I have done, although i'd generally try to get whoever owned the car to sign.

Its no problem who signs, provided no one contests the sale.

If the orig owner says you didnt have their permission to the police a week later
    - then what? Who owns the car?

Advertisement