Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous posting in work and jobs?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anonymous posting in work and jobs? I just tried to start a thread without being logged in, just to check and it didn't seem to allow it. I know a lot of boardsies work together or in the same industry so maybe some people would prefer to be able to post anonymously? If I had a sensitive issue that I'd like help with I know I woudn't feel comfortable posting under my own user name where colleagues/friends/family (I know boardsies in all categories!) could see. This is especially true when it comes to salaries (some people are very private about discussing this) or being unfairly treated in the workplace, for a lot of people it's a personal issue as you spend so much time in work and it takes up so much of your life (unfortunately!). I spend a bit of time on the work and jobs forum and people are very helpful. I just thought this could be a way for people to seek help if they don't want to identify themselves.

I suppose they could just post in PI but you do get more detailed advice in work and jobs.

Anyone agree? (Bring on the cat pictures!)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

watna wrote: »
    Is there anonymous posting in work and jobs? I just tried to start a thread without being logged in, just to check and it didn't seem to allow it. I know a lot of boardsies work together or in the same industry so maybe some people would prefer to be able to post anonymously? If I had a sensitive issue that I'd like help with I know I woudn't feel comfortable posting under my own user name where colleagues/friends/family (I know boardsies in all categories!) could see. This is especially true when it comes to salaries (some people are very private about discussing this) or being unfairly treated in the workplace, for a lot of people it's a personal issue as you spend so much time in work and it takes up so much of your life (unfortunately!). I spend a bit of time on the work and jobs forum and people are very helpful. I just thought this could be a way for people to seek help if they don't want to identify themselves.

I suppose they could just post in PI but you do get more detailed advice in work and jobs.

Is Tom being a big meanie? Actually it's a pretty good idea!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If it wasn't abused I think it would be a good idea. They'd hev to be screened by the mods before they got approved so it would be up to them. I wouldn't advise posting in PI unless it's an actual personal issue.

BTW, very few threads get cat pics that don't deserve them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Is Tom being a big meanie? Actually it's a pretty good idea!

Tom Dunne bullies me!
    If it wasn't abused I think it would be a good idea. They'd hev to be screened by the mods before they got approved so it would be up to them. I wouldn't advise posting in PI unless it's an actual personal issue.

BTW, very few threads get cat pics that don't deserve them.

aww :(

Tom Dunne bullies me!

aww :(

Strike Team against one of our own, could be a problem!

Just for you ;)truth.JPG

Seems to make sense alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Overall, sounds like a sensible idea, providing it was pre-moderated.

BTW - to anyone who knows Watna - he has a sensitive issue regarding work that he'd like help with *

* but you're not meant to know about it :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Two edged sword. Be careful.

You could also get sneaky employers trying to draw out information from / confirm their suspicions about posters.

Hagar wrote: »
    Two edged sword. Be careful.

You could also get sneaky employers trying to draw out information from / confirm their suspicions about posters.

Make everyone except the mods anon? Non?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's overall a good idea. Pre-moderated posts a la PI should ensure that it would work OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Is there anonymous posting in work and jobs?

well, you could try askaboutmoney which is hosted by Boards, without actually being one. Lots of accountants and solicitors there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

BTW - to anyone who knows Watna - he has a sensitive issue regarding work that he'd like help with *

Watna is a chick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Watna's a guy? Watna you're a guy?

Why did I think you were a woman? :eek:

I'm a woman. I've checked!

A woman that luckily doesn't have any work issues.... yet! I just thought it might be helpful as there are sensitive issues being discussed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Tom Dunne bullies me!

You deserve it.

I'm a woman. I've checked!

Yup. Just checked. She is a she.

As for the original idea, I think the benefits outweigh the risks. I have a few ideas for threads, such as "what to do about moaning female co-workers".

Jackz wrote: »
    Watna is a chick.

well ... there's the sensitive issue uncovered

well, you could try askaboutmoney which is hosted by Boards, without actually being one.

fairly certain it isn't hosted by boards

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

well, you could try askaboutmoney which is hosted by Boards, without actually being one. Lots of accountants and solicitors there.
    Uh.....there's no link between boards.ie and askaboutmoney.com

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, no link. We kinda like them though and they kinda started out here (afaicr, could be wrong). Other then that we are fellowtravellers on the road of community building...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

No link, and I don't think they started out here. Brendan's a nice chap tho.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think the lads used to answer questions here and then thought "this seems like a good idea for a site"... no? Either way, I like them they seem like nice guys.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    As for the original idea, I think the benefits outweigh the risks. I have a few ideas for threads, such as "what to do about moaning female co-workers".

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Gets my vote, I was considering leaving work for quite some time and wanted some reasonable advice but was unable to post here because of the numerous co workers who post on boards.

Actually one of them has already posted in this thread.

what about something like a "work problems" sub-forum, which has a (pre-moderated) ability to post anonymously?

what about something like a "work problems" sub-forum, which has a (pre-moderated) ability to post anonymously?

Hrm, sounds like a way for people to bitch at their heart's content.

Yep, sounds good.

Hrm, I'm far too positive in this thread.

Why would it need a separate sub-forum? Would it not be better to have them all in together?

I do think the ability to post anonymously would be a great help, though, whether it is in it's own sub-forum, or the main forum.

Tom:

I suppose it would be useful because there are two distinct types of posts in the work&jobs forum.

1. General work questions e.g. types of work / how is somewhere to work / how to handle interviews etc

2. "I'm having this problem at work" posts

It may be more useful to posters to separate the two from each other, and there is certainly sufficient volume to justify a subforum.

Tom:

I suppose it would be useful because there are two distinct types of posts in the work&jobs forum.

1. General work questions e.g. types of work / how is somewhere to work / how to handle interviews etc

2. "I'm having this problem at work" posts

It may be more useful to posters to separate the two from each other, and there is certainly sufficient volume to justify a subforum.

There is a good volume on the work and jobs forum. It's fairly active. probably because we all have jobs and spend so much time there! I didn't think of a subforum but that could be a good idea.

"I'm having this problem at work" posts

A sort of work related PI. :D

Yeah, sure if the volume is there, why not.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    A sort of work related PI. :D

Yeah, sure if the volume is there, why not.

Exactly!

Forum request submitted.

Have also PM'd the other Work&Jobs admins

• Advertisement

Good stuff, roundtower, you're quick on the ball today! Hopefully this will work out now, people seem to think it's a good idea anyway.

Advertisement