Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course would benefit me as a starter in IT

Options
  • 13-02-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I would like to start a career in IT and was told that a ECDL course would be a good start, is this true? What are the best colleges/schools in Dublin to achieve this?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

MWK1811 wrote: »
    I would like to start a career in IT and was told that a ECDL course would be a good start, is this true? What are the best colleges/schools in Dublin to achieve this?

Thank you

As somebody who has taught ECDL I would say not friggin' likely. It's an introduction to general apps such as Word and Powerpoint, it doesn't teach you much about IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MWK1811

Thanks for the advice. Is there a beginners course you would suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

depends what areas of IT you are intrested in really. A pretty cool one that i have always wanted to go on is a course called "Ethical Hacking". anybody ever do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

An ECDL course is a very, very basic introduction to some aspects of computing - file and folder management in Windows, internet access, the Microsoft Office packages and basic internet stuff. Its good to do, if you have no experience using computers at all.

If you have experience, it might be an idea to look more into courses like the A+ Certification. This is a much more in depth course, looking into the functions of the hardware and repairs.

Of course, it really all depends on what aspect of IT you really want to get into. Its quite a large field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Go for the A+, as far as I remember the ECDL was a basic certification to prove office skills such as word powerpoint excel etc. Even then its very very basic

A+ as aidan said would be much more beneficial if you want to do any sort of serious IT work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

warrenaldo wrote: »
    depends what areas of IT you are intrested in really. A pretty cool one that i have always wanted to go on is a course called "Ethical Hacking". anybody ever do that?

Dont think the Ethical Hacker course, is for beginners really.

Thank you. Any idea on good schools/colleges where this can be done... Preferably in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

MWK1811 wrote: »
    Thank you. Any idea on good schools/colleges where this can be done... Preferably in the Dublin area?

I think you should answer the questions above, before deciding on doing a course.

What exactly do you want to do? Support? Programming? Web design? Databases?

Support and then maybe branch out into a more specific field. In doing a little research I have noticed that CompTIA A+ would be a good starting point, any advice would be appreciated?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The A+ and Network+ will give you a solid understanding of how computers and networks work. If you want to move into Linux, there's a Linux+ exam which gives you a brief introduction into Linux commands. On the Windows side, there's the Windows XP MCP exam which is reasonably in-depth but fairly easy if you've used XP a lot and are competent fixing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GoodEnough

Any PC maintenance and Repair courses, a lot of colleges do basic start-up courses 10 too 15 weeks to give you an understanding of parts and how a PC works and then move onto CompTIA A+, just google PC Repair Dublin, I did this a few years ago got a job where i work in troubleshooting and work part-time for myself, opportunities are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

A+/Network+/MCP XP

I'd say do those starting off. And whatever you study when it comes to IT, do NOT just read the books. Get the equipment and hardware and DO what you're studying.

So if I understand all the helpful advice everyone has so kindly shared... Start off with a PC maintenance and Repair course and then move on to A+/Network+/MCP XP in that exact order?

How much harder is it doing these courses correspondently (Distance learning) than in a classroom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GoodEnough

Distance learning is ok if you have a good fairly decent knowledge of computers and have easy access to online tutors this is a must, it suits ppl that dont have the time to make it too the classroom, but if you can i would advise to do so.

If you think you know about computers i would move straight too any of the A+ courses instead of the basics

Advertisement