Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Gym quiet hours

Options
  • 13-02-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

What are the quiestest times for the UCD gym on a weekday or weekend? Due to its lack of any decent equipment I'm getting very annoyed waiting for all the GAA players for to finish with their 50 bicep curls and bench presses.

I have a programme that I need to do in a specific order so it gets quite annoying have to wait for equipment to free up. It was so bad today I just stopped and left the gym.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theleprechaun

I used to find from 8-11 am fairly quiet. But that was when i used to go-got too lazy since then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Sundays are always quiet in my experience. Saturdays I found the afternoons, ~2-6 to be best and weekdays the only quiet period would be the mornings, before 12 I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Sangre wrote: »
    What are the quiestest times for the UCD gym on a weekday or weekend? Due to its lack of any decent equipment I'm getting very annoyed waiting for all the GAA players for to finish with their 50 bicep curls and bench presses.

I have a programme that I need to do in a specific order so it gets quite annoying have to wait for equipment to free up. It was so bad today I just stopped and left the gym.

Any help appreciated.
    Pathetic losers the lot of them. I used to see them in there, they mostly strut and try and stick their chests out, with these desperate looks on their faces, like they were scared or something. We used to ask them if they wanted to join the boxing club, and then we have a good laugh at them when they said no. Still, there are savage women and savage times to be had down Ballyspiddjamesduffery-On Sea during the Summer, so its only right they would want their pecs in order.:D:D:D

Think I'll head down for around 9am in future and Sat mornings. Even around 10 today it was too much.

Although I think the real problem is not the busyness but thelack of any decent equipment. Only one squat rack, about 4 oly bars and hardly any room to deadlift, military presses or rows. Gah.

What about upstairs??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Think I'll head down for around 9am in future and Sat mornings. Even around 10 today it was too much.

Although I think the real problem is not the busyness but thelack of any decent equipment. Only one squat rack, about 4 oly bars and hardly any room to deadlift, military presses or rows. Gah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You mean doing my lifting upstairs or using the machines?

Well upstairs there aren't as many mirrors to check your form if lifting and I try and avoid machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

One of the oly bars went missing recently. Still not back. Pain in the hole.

Don't know which are worse, the packs of thick GAA mudsavages or the packs of ignorant schoolkids. Both types favour the 3 inch ROM bench press, bicep curls mostly from the hips, quarter "squats", and this new fad which is like some sort of wierd bicep curl using a barbell plate, usually jerky and not really moving much at all.

That and the squash players who sometimes jam the balcony with the pulldown machines; they're not even members of the place, wtf are they doing there.

You mean doing my lifting upstairs or using the machines?

Well upstairs there aren't as many mirrors to check your form if lifting and I try and avoid machines.

Yeah, upstairs machines....

I found the back machine very good.

I have to agree with most of the opinion, Sundays is best. Most people go and get wellied on Saturday.

Join the boxing club if you want to be fit. Only a few quid per year and you ge t fit in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

IT Loser wrote: »

Join the boxing club if you want to be fit. Only a few quid per year and you ge t fit in no time.

What way does that work IT, do you have to box in competitions or can you just do it to keep fit?

Flume wrote: »
    What way does that work IT, do you have to box in competitions or can you just do it to keep fit?

Its up to you. You don't have to fight, you don't even have to spar. You might get asked but you can turn it down. Mostly, its softly softly. Its a two hour thing three nights a week. You can't go wrong. Go down on Friday to Hall C {the little one } between 8 and 10 or 5-7 Monday and have a word with whoever is running the show.

Or you could go down now, 7-9 Wednesdays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Finally someone who agrees that UCD gym is full of pathetic d1ckheads and wont call me an angry physco for expressing my feelings! I deal with the beanpole twats be running madly around the gym, being extremely possessive about equipment and insisting to people that I work in with them. Though I have no problem with anyone working in with me. It can be done if you act like you own the place. Sad as that seems. Since I joined that gym, I have seen excercises and weight movements done that I had never seen before. What an innovative bunch they are. The 1/8 squats always crack me up. I too have found the quietest times to be morning, but thats only natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I hate the UCD gym.I went in there last year to have a look around because I was considering joining.However,a 5 minute tour was enough to put me off for life.Since then i've heard countless stories which often make me wonder how anyone gets a workout done in there.
    If the UCD gym wasn't so crap I wouldn't have found the gym where I am currently a member(the best gym ever!!).So in a way im kind of glad that I was turned off by it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

fatal wrote: »
    I wouldn't have found the gym where I am currently a member(the best gym ever!!).So in a way im kind of glad that I was turned off by it

Where is this magical place you speak of? I'm a member of crunch in UCD and its grand to me. I'm there 3 or 4 times a week and get a good workout done everytime, I've gotten to know a good few of the regulars there and their sound guys. The kids piss me off though, most of them havent a breeze what they are doing and take way too long on each machine/bench/bar because they travel in packs.

look out for the tall boggers who do only bench press and struggle to even lift the bar. its just great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Your elitism is pathetic.. Ok they mightnt have a clue what theyre doing but at least theyre making the effort.. Not everyone is a fitness guru with a meticulous workout plan.

forbesii wrote: »
    look out for the tall boggers who do only bench press and struggle to even lift the bar. its just great.

HAHA I have heard alot of those stories-guys who walk in,"do" the bench press for half an hour,flex their "muscles" in front of the mirrors and then walk out with a big grin on their face.
    farva wrote: »
    Where is this magical place you speak of? I'm a member of crunch in UCD and its grand to me. I'm there 3 or 4 times a week and get a good workout done everytime, I've gotten to know a good few of the regulars there and their sound guys. The kids piss me off though, most of them havent a breeze what they are doing and take way too long on each machine/bench/bar because they travel in packs.

Do you really really wanna know:D?
    The place is called Pinnacle gym.Its by far the best gym that I have ever been to.The atmosphere in this gym is unlike any other.Everyone is willing to help each other out and no one hogs the equipment like they do in other gyms.Even someone like me feels welcomed by the behemoths who regularly patrol the gym;)

fatal wrote: »
    Do you really really wanna know:D?
    The place is called Pinnacle gym.Its by far the best gym that I have ever been to.The atmosphere in this gym is unlike any other.Everyone is willing to help each other out and no one hogs the equipment like they do in other gyms.Even someone like me feels welcomed by the behemoths who regularly patrol the gym;)

I had a look at the bebo there (the only source of info that I could find on the internet for it) and the facilities look good but a bit small and it doesnt seem to have any cardio equiptment? I like to get 3 cardio sessions done a week along with my weights - keeps the gut away! Is pinnacle expensive?

I find most people in UCD are fairly decent, I'd be quite friendly with 9 or 10 regulars (most of them aren't in UCD though) who'd be fairly big and into their lifting - and their only too happy to help people out! I get asked the odd question when somone is working in with me on something and I'd do my best to help them out.

forbesii I would agree that there are a lot of guys there who don't have a clue what there at, but you'll get that everywhere and as karmabass said at least they are trying. When I started off I hadn't a notion what I should do, but I learned over time by researching and asking questions. And with an attitude like that you don't seem to willing to help anyone else out, which I think is pretty ****ty!

I had a look at the bebo there (the only source of info that I could find on the internet for it) and the facilities look good but a bit small and it doesnt seem to have any cardio equiptment? I like to get 3 cardio sessions done a week along with my weights - keeps the gut away! Is pinnacle expensive?

I find most people in UCD are fairly decent, I'd be quite friendly with 9 or 10 regulars (most of them aren't in UCD though) who'd be fairly big and into their lifting - and their only too happy to help people out! I get asked the odd question when somone is working in with me on something and I'd do my best to help them out.

forbesii I would agree that there are a lot of guys there who don't have a clue what there at, but you'll get that everywhere and as karmabass said at least they are trying. When I started off I hadn't a notion what I should do, but I learned over time by researching and asking questions. And with an attitude like that you don't seem to willing to help anyone else out, which I think is pretty ****ty!

They do have cardio equipment but nothing like the unecessary number of treadmills and bikes which you find in UCD gym(pointless!?!).Its not huge nor tiny but the size of it has never really been an issue.They also have a full size ring and matted area for martial arts/boxing.
    Its alot cheaper than most of the other gyms out there.For your subscription you're not only getting a gym membership but also a great friendly atmosphere-something lacked by other gyms which I have used in the past and which makes achieving your goals that much easier

I'm on hand to help anyone that asks. I have no problem with that at all. Its the lack of etiquette in use up there that really gets to me. Guys using the squat rack for things other than squats or using the bench press for tricep extensions. Ive been in queue for that thing and its just baffled me how ignorant people can be. Sitting chatting with their mates when they can see someone is waiting to use the equipment. Not everyone is a student with all the time in the world on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I go alone at 7 in the morning.

The guys there at that time are genuine blokes just doing their workouts.
    Sure, there is no-one to impress at that time anyway.
    You can get your workout done without waiting on anything.

There is one numpty though and the way he does deadlifts guarantees a dodgy spine for the future.
    I think he likes the sound of the bar crashing to the ground.

You can learn a lot from one or two of the guys in there.
    There is this one guy who is there religiously and I have to say his technique is spot on.

Crunch should be ashamed of themselves when it comes to gym supervision.
    There are never gym instructors on the gym floor. Just the odd receptionist checking her emails.
    I would hate to have an accident downstairs if there was no-one around because the cctv only covers about 30% of the weights area.

• Advertisement

forbesii wrote: »
    Guys using the squat rack for things other than squats or using the bench press for tricep extensions.

I'd disagree about that; there is no power rack in Crunch and sometimes its necessary to use the squat rack for exercises that one would normally use a power rack for. Similarly if there are no adjustable benches free I wouldn't see a problem with someone using a bench for another exercise.

Anyone know where one of the Olympic bars is gone? Its really starting to annoy me!

Yeh, I saw Gav(the gym instructor) and the eastern European cleaner dude bringing it up from the weights room about 2 weeks ago and it was snapped. One of the sides where the weights go on was completely broken off!! Completely agree with you that its really annoying with 1 less bar, and knowing crunch it'll probably be months until its replaced.

they are down to two lights in the bench press room... bet with one of my friends they'll have to get down to one before they replace it.

prob we'll both be wrong, get down there and find it lit by candles.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Where exactly do I find the free-weights room? Down that corridor between the two sports halls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

When you enter crunch turn left and walk all the way around until you're in the room where the spinning classes are held, then just go down the stairs to the free-weights area.

There are other free weights rooms hidden away in the sports centre but they are only for people involved with the elite athlete program ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Out of curiosity, are there ever girls down there? I've heard it referred to as the men's area by a Crunch staff member (with the women's being that awkward alcove in the cardio area), and I was wondering how true that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I've never seen any girls down there, but I presume there wouldn't be a problem if they went down.

I train there regularly with my girlfriend. More often than not she's the only woman down there. It's just a matter of ignoring the stares and getting on with your own workout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

It's a bit annoying that there are stares to begin with; I feel a bit looked at just using some of the machines on the main floor. Good to know that the option's available, though.

Advertisement