Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Gym quiet hours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

With the outfits alot of the girls wear in the gym, I cant be blamed for sneaking a peek:D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

PennyLane wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, are there ever girls down there? I've heard it referred to as the men's area by a Crunch staff member (with the women's being that awkward alcove in the cardio area), and I was wondering how true that is...

I train there regularily with my boyfriend, as mloc mentioned, usually about 4 times a week and to be honest, 99% of the time I am the only girl down there, but the odd time there are one or two other girls I have seen down there (there was one today!). Really its not a problem, unless you are exceptionally self-conscious, you do get a few looks but if you're down there Im guessing you're in some way serious about your work-out and its just a case of getting on with it and what you're doing.

You're be supprised at the amount of guys down there who dont know what they're doing (poor form, technique etc) which you will be able to pick out yourself, and are standing around looking at each other as well as you, so its not just subject to you! To be honest, any of the guys down there who are in any way serious themselves about what they are doing are concentrating on what they are down there to do, and are also very encouraging and helpful if you need a hand with anything. Its not so bad dont let it put you off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 KiwiChick

Bui wrote: »
    I train there regularily with my boyfriend, as mloc mentioned, usually about 4 times a week and to be honest, 99% of the time I am the only girl down there, but the odd time there are one or two other girls I have seen down there (there was one today!). Really its not a problem, unless you are exceptionally self-conscious, you do get a few looks but if you're down there Im guessing you're in some way serious about your work-out and its just a case of getting on with it and what you're doing.

You're be supprised at the amount of guys down there who dont know what they're doing (poor form, technique etc) which you will be able to pick out yourself, and are standing around looking at each other as well as you, so its not just subject to you! To be honest, any of the guys down there who are in any way serious themselves about what they are doing are concentrating on what they are down there to do, and are also very encouraging and helpful if you need a hand with anything. Its not so bad dont let it put you off!!

I am down in the weights room 4 times a week to and I hardly see any girls either. There will be a few stares but don't let it put you off, the ones doing the staring are the same guys that aren't able to lift weights to save themselves!
    I find it pretty friendly down there, if you need to work in with someone or need help with an exercise then just ask and you'll have no problems. In saying that make sure you pick someone that looks like they are actually working out and making an effort, you don't want advice from some of the weeds that have the really bad technique.

mloc wrote: »
    I'd disagree about that; there is no power rack in Crunch and sometimes its necessary to use the squat rack for exercises that one would normally use a power rack for. Similarly if there are no adjustable benches free I wouldn't see a problem with someone using a bench for another exercise.

I get the point about the squat rack but I don't think it's fair that someone puts a bench in the middle of it and starts to do shoulder presses while the bar and rack are there and it needs to be used. happened to me before) Also have been in Crunch and needed to do bench press and there were 2 guys doing one arm rows on it, again the bar was just waiting there. I didn't bother to ask to work in, I was too annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I go at about ten o clock in the morning on wednesday and thursdays with a friend of mine. I've had to wait for the squat rack once or twice since January so its not too bad!

Everyone's pretty friendly down there, if its busy I just ask can I work in with them, I've yet to have someone refuse!

On the squat rack, I use it for Squats (obviously) and the shoulder press. I like the height of the pins for racking the bar after a set, makes the whole thing nice and easy! I think its just gotten busier since they took away two of the olympic bars. I asked one of the staff and she just laughed and told me that I must have missed it down there. Yes love, I somehow missed a seven foot piece of shiny steel.

My favourite and most hated thing about Crunch is the multitude of guys who squat in the smith machine (bad enough) and then go down about a foot when they actually do start squatting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

IT Loser wrote: »
    Yeah, upstairs machines....

I found the back machine very good.

I have to agree with most of the opinion, Sundays is best. Most people go and get wellied on Saturday.

Join the boxing club if you want to be fit. Only a few quid per year and you ge t fit in no time.

How would one go about joining the boxing club, never done it before but would like to join

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Out of curiosity, are there ever girls down there? I've heard it referred to as the men's area by a Crunch staff member (with the women's being that awkward alcove in the cardio area), and I was wondering how true that is...

To be honest if I heard a Crunch staff member referring to it as the mens area I'd have them fired.

More women should train down there. If you have paid your gym membership you have as much right to be down there as the rest of us.
    If women spent more time doing weights and less time on cardio they would be in far better condition.
    There is one girl that trains down there on her own regularly, does her own thing with her mp3 player and she is in far better condition than most of the guys there. Her technique is decent too.

I'd rather see ten girls lifting weights down there than 3 idiots in rugby socks chatting on the bench press.
    Seriously lads. Rugby socks, in the gym?

Anyway ladies, lift weights and get your moneys worth out of Crunch.
    The weights in the upper section are about as much use as rugby socks in a gym.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Well, as my starting point was basically blubber, maybe I'll make the move downstairs once 2 kgs stop producing results. :p

The 'ladies area' in Crunch is a joke, if you want to get anything out of your workout stay away from it.
    When I first joined I was told about the ladies area and got my hopes up but when I saw it I didn't know what to think. How could anyone expect to any results from working out with those little dumbells?

I guess everyone still has the mind set that if women lift weights they'll get too muscley(not true!)
    The staff at Crunch don't help matters if they're giving out directions to the 'ladies area' and telling women that down stairs is where they'll find the mens area - the cheek of it!

My favorite part is that I've been noticing a bunch of guys working there recently, so I'm assuming the idea of gender segregation was just a figment of that particular staff member's imagination. But yeah, I can get a decent workout from the "ladies" area (as evidenced in part by my sore arms this morning), but probably only because, as I said, I started out with the strength of your average two-year-old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

by the way will everybody start complaining to the main desk about getting that olympic bar replaced. ive complained twice now with no reaction and am going to complain every second day I'm there from now on. if nothing is done im going to complain every day. also wouldnt it be great if they marked the dumbells so you know what the hell weight your actually lifting. complain about that too. just inundate them with complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

anyone up for starting a sort of members union?

I was thinking about it for a while, getting a few regulars together and gettings issues sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Oh god, forgot about the dumbells, god they're useless. I can never find any weight even close to what I'm looking for and if I do, I can only find the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

forbesii wrote: »
    by the way will everybody start complaining to the main desk about getting that olympic bar replaced. ive complained twice now with no reaction and am going to complain every second day I'm there from now on. if nothing is done im going to complain every day. also wouldnt it be great if they marked the dumbells so you know what the hell weight your actually lifting. complain about that too. just inundate them with complaints!

Tell me about it! Since they got those "new" dumbells (clearly cast offs from another gym) there isnt enoght room to store them and its near impossible to find the matching dumbell as they have no markings and all look so similar!! The lack of the 5th olympic bar is getting a bit annoying at this stage. Admittedly I dont squat or deadlift, but for my benching/incline benching its very irratating at peak times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

well if we all nag the absolute sh1te out of them constantly theyll get so pissed off theyll do it.

well if we all nag the absolute sh1te out of them constantly theyll get so pissed off theyll do it.

Yeh fair point. I might start complaining too. But I guess that its a cheap and cheerful gym, what we get for €160/year!

farva wrote: »
    Yeh fair point. I might start complaining too. But I guess that its a cheap and cheerful gym, what we get for €160/year!

I know people don't pay much for membership (non-students pay a bit more) but equipment still needs to be replaced and maintained. If something breaks it should be replaced, if someone complains and wants the weight marked properly on the dumbells then it shold be done. I'm all for giving them a hard time if it needs to be done. If enough of us complain then they're going to have to something about it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

To be honest the state of the place is dreadful. Aside from the mood lighting effect they are going for in the bench press room, between the missing and broken equipment they're really adding a whole new challenge to your workout! Especially at busy times where you might be waiting for ages to get onto a bench/rack, or more notably, to get your hands on one of the olympic bars, you then have to try figure out what you're lifting cause nothing is marked properly. The other day I turned my back on the bar I had FINALLY managed to comandeer for deadlifts to get some more weights and someone ran off with it! Also some of the older lighter sets of dumbells are literally falling apart. We are actually paying to use this "facility", its not like its a free service!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I like the idea of everyone constantly complaining to them.
    I nagged them for weeks when the lock on the gents locker room was 'gone'.

I'll happily do a sneak survey of the place and take a note of everything wrong and date it.

I mean, with the dumbbells, all it takes to tighten them, is like a small hex key.
    And print some new sticker labels.
    All the weights are in lbs ffs. It's like the mid 20th century.

Crunch UCD is where all the other branches equipment goes to die...

I don't buy that attitude - You only get what you pay for....
    Crunch UCD owe its clients a service in a safe environment, irrelevant of how much the membership costs.

I fully agree with that! Cost of the gym membership is not the issue, they should be doing the basics and keep everything running properly.

It's not just the weights thats a problem either.
    A couple weeks back I was on a dodgy treadmill and the mat kept stopping and I almost came off it, I told the girl at reception that it needed to be turned off because it was unsafe and she said that she couldn't do it or put an out of order note on the treadmill but I could leave a note for a trainer. I went and found a trainer and told them the problem and they said they'd do something about it.......
    Surprise! 2 nights later I went back to the treadmill and it was still on and still dodgy!

Would it be worth trying to get in touch with the owner(s) and let them know whats going on? Obviously nobody is getting anywhere complaining to the staff there so that might be the next step since a lot of people are getting fed up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Sangre wrote: »
    Oh god, forgot about the dumbells, god they're useless. I can never find any weight even close to what I'm looking for and if I do, I can only find the one.

Very annoying the way half them are in pounds and half are in kilos. I always work in kilos so its annoying dividing everything by 2.2.

KiwiChick wrote: »
    It's not just the weights thats a problem either.
    A couple weeks back I was on a dodgy treadmill and the mat kept stopping and I almost came off it, I told the girl at reception that it needed to be turned off because it was unsafe and she said that she couldn't do it or put an out of order note on the treadmill but I could leave a note for a trainer. I went and found a trainer and told them the problem and they said they'd do something about it.......
    Surprise! 2 nights later I went back to the treadmill and it was still on and still dodgy!

There is more than one treadmill with that problem, your right it is really dangerous. My favourite has to be the spinning bikes though, there is SOMETHING wrong with EVERY SINGLE one of them!!!

What else doesnt work properly... half the the benchs down stairs dont lift up at all and most of them have the handles unscrewed so its a b1tch to lift it up in the event that you actually find one that goes up.

Zamboni hit the nail on the head with "Crunch UCD is where all the other branches equipment goes to die..."

Whoever's made off with the odd weights downstairs has now struck upstairs as well, it seems.

And regarding the treadmills, it seems like every other one I get on has the incline function broken. Not to mention the horrible noises coming from half the cross-trainers. I really look forward to using my own operative treadmill when I'm home for the summer...

Fear not... the 2 olympic bars will apparently be returning to the weights room soon. I was talking to the instructors the other day and he told me that they got 1 new one to replce the 2 broken ones, but that they were getting someone in to weld(yes weld) the 2 broken bars. I don't know about you but to me welding 2 80 quid bars isn't acceptable, someone is bound to get injured when they break again!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Whoever's made off with the odd weights downstairs has now struck upstairs as well, it seems.

And regarding the treadmills, it seems like every other one I get on has the incline function broken. Not to mention the horrible noises coming from half the cross-trainers. I really look forward to using my own operative treadmill when I'm home for the summer...

I hate it when I realize I'm the one on the squeaky crosstrainer!

Hahahahah oh god yes, I'll actually move to a different one if there's one open. The third from the left in the front row is really bad, and I think the third from the right in the back is, too. And the one on the right in the pair that are randomly chucked in back by the rowing machines.

I'm not sure how I feel the fact that I now know which ones are the squeeky ones....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Is the gym open tomorrow ?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

No its closed all weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

ok thanks tan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

thinking about joining the gym this year. Have only being to a gym twice before so I dont really know how to do any of the excerises the correct way. I'd feel like a right eijit beside the muscled dudes of ucd! putting me off but i really need to gain some muscle and lose a bit of the....eh....flab?? :o

Advertisement