Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downspeed - eircom

Options
  • 13-02-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi there,
    I'm a customer of eircoms on the home broadband plus package,
    allowing me 2MB/s download speed,
    however for example when torrenting, legally of course, I get no more than 20kb/s or little more at max.

But this morning for perhaps only 10minutes, I hit speeds of 4.16MB/s, which was phenomenal for me, how is this possible, and why in general can I never reach this or at least something close to a decent download rate?
    If anyone knows I would love to know, I don't like being baffled :D
    Thank you,
    Bitterstudent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi there,
    I'm a customer of eircoms on the home broadband plus package,
    allowing me 2MB/s download speed,
    however for example when torrenting, legally of course, I get no more than 20kb/s or little more at max.

But this morning for perhaps only 10minutes, I hit speeds of 4.16MB/s, which was phenomenal for me, how is this possible, and why in general can I never reach this or at least something close to a decent download rate?
    If anyone knows I would love to know, I don't like being baffled :D
    Thank you,
    Bitterstudent.

Use Encryption in your Torrent client, that should help if Eircom are restricting torrents. Utorrent offers encryption if yours doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 40,120 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Could have been your torrent client fooling you.

More relavent is the fact the maximum you have acheived before is 20kb, you need to configure your router or client properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

yeah, I've always considered my crappy download speeds to be relative to my router settings and such.

I am sure this was not some trick though, as I was downloading an 8GB linux distro, 3Gb downloaded in 10minutes with this a fluctuating 4.16MB/s download speed. I find it very unusual,

The only conclusion I can come to is that it was eircom working on the exchange, which somehow managed to result in a sudden burst in speeds, as they have been carrying out updates recently on our exchange here in Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,120 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maybe it downloaded that 3 gig already and it appeared that it was downloading but actually taking it from you hard drive.

3gig in 10 minutes would be more akin to 44 mbps not 4.1

No, I was download around 4.16MB per second not minute, within 10 minutes+ I had downloaded 3.5GBs+ which is quite unusual I am sure.
    I have a screenshot I took when I seen this column showing the download rate as well as the fact I have a half downloaded distro of 8GBs which I only just started.

I shall email eircom on the matter. It's a good complaint but I'm truly baffled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

No, I was download around 4.16MB per second not minute, within 10 minutes+ I had downloaded 3.5GBs+ which is quite unusual I am sure.
    I have a screenshot I took when I seen this column showing the download rate as well as the fact I have a half downloaded distro of 8GBs which I only just started.

I shall email eircom on the matter. It's a good complaint but I'm truly baffled.

Not a chance of downloading that in 10 mins. That would require roughly 6MB/s which is a 48Mbit connection.

What boggles says makes more sense. You had downloaded x amount so far and when you loaded up your torrent client it scanned the existing parts that had been downloading, checking each part is correct and that is why it gave the illusion of downloading at that speed.

perhaps this is true. It would most certainly make a lot more sense!
    But the fact that I went from having 2GB download and ten minutes later to have 4.8GB completed, has confused me, but perhaps I have missed something and is simply an error on my behalf.

Advertisement