Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA worthwhile?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭

I was considering doing the Cisco CCNA course. Anyone any opinions on whether this is worthwhile or a waste of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

moved to IT certification [from Work&Jobs]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The CCNA is a very good networking course.

That aside, what do you want to do? what are you trying to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

I suppose I'm just trying to further my qualifications really. A lot of job specs seem to have an MCP/CCNA as a desirable qualification. I feel a bit stale at the moment after 13 years in school and 4 years in college, I'm now not learning anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

First off the CCNA and MCP exam are vastly different.

Are you working in IT at the moment? If so, what systems do you work on?
    Do you do any work on Cisco equipement?

If this is just learning for the sake of learning, which is admirable, then I would push for one of the Microsoft Certs. They aren't neccessarily better but I think they could help you more in a day to day capacity than the CCNA would. If your using Vista go for the 70-620 or XP 70-270.

Passing one of those exams will get you an MCP/MCT qualification and it will ease you into how MS do exams, the format, that kind of thing.

If you do go down the MS route, make sure you register yourselves for the "Second Chance" offer thats on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Unless you work with Cisco gear all the time, the CCNA would be quite difficult.

As Static said, might be better going down the MS route with the easier client exams such as the Vista or XP exams (just to clarify the 70-620 gives you an MCTS rather than an MCT qualification :D )

Also they are good start points for either MCSA/MCSE 2003, MCDST, MCITP: Consumer or Enterprise Support Technicians and the newer Windows Server 2008 certs.

Also if you do get any of the server qualifications they are a very handy route into the Cisco stuff as you will be dealing all that stuff as part of your job if you do work with any of the bigger operations that have any sort of networking capability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement