Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ireland Manager, GioTrap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Ok now we have our manager(world class one at that) let us assess the squad in a fair manner. I understand results are what and how players should be judged, but there is a lot in these Irish players.

Given-Not one person here can deny his class, especailly with Ireland. Like David Healy with N. Ireland he must be called world class as his performances merit it.

Our defence is weak, but in Dunne we have an exceptional player. A bit flimsy on the ball at times, but has pace and a brilliant tackler. I hope we can get Finnan back, I really do. If he was to come back, it means we have two very very good players in defence. Does anyone think perhaps Joey O' Brien should be the other CB?

Midfield is good on paper. We have reasonable depth on the wings, McGeady is a talent, Duff despite what many have said plays like the Blackburn Duff for us. Ireland and Andy Reid have a lot of good movement, and Reid is an exceptional passer. Then we have Carsley and Steven Reid. Hopefully we will have Garvan in the top flight next season!!! Perhaps the McCarthy kid will start to show his promise?

I think we need to do something with the strikers. I think the Trap will play Keane with Ireland playing off him. However if we need pace perhaps we could call on the Scannel guy at Palace. Only 18.

Seriously would he have accepted if he thought we were a poor team? He knows he has something to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just heard him there on the radio saying that he has no problem asking his old friend Arsene Wenger to release Liam Brady to be part of his management team.

I'm really optimistic about the appointment of Trapattoni.

Well between what youve just said there BaZmO and also hearing that Capello respects Trapa, it looks as though he is the real 'gaffer' amongst high profile managers. Plus, club managers may be a little bit more willing to release their players for friendlies because, well...its Trapa!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

It's got to be a one and all show of support for El Trap. Today is the brightest day there has been for quite a while to be an Irish Soccer Fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wonder how many eL games he'll go to.

I hope I get to sit beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DesF wrote: »
    I wonder how many eL games he'll go to.

I hope I get to sit beside him.

I doubt he'll go to Division 1 games.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I doubt he'll go to Division 1 games.
    I doubt I'll be at all Away games either.

I could go to Dalyer, Inchikip, Thomas Davis, UCD...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The amount of respect the guy is building for himself before he even steps foot in ireland.

- Not leaving till his contract runs out; almost unheard of in modern football
    - Leaving his Bulls with the title; Thats not an empty promise which we(i'm sure) will all watch close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Plus the fact that he's English, and has played for England.

No more mercenaries please.

ffs.

If you play for your country at u21 level you can still change as long as you dont play for the senior side.

If O'Hara has irish connections bring him in to ****! He looks like he could be a quality player and theres nothing wrong with having quality players in the team.

I wonder will this make Kevin Nolan change his mind. Good midfielder who can score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I doubt I'll be at all Away games either.

I could go to Dalyer, Inchikip, Thomas Davis, UCD...

I'd say he'd be the kind of guy to give some little skanger a good clip around the ear hole :D

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'd say he'd be the kind of guy to give some little skanger a good clip around the ear hole :D
    Less of the personal abuse plz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

God, when you think back to that dark evening when the Cypriots hammered us or when we needed a goal with our last kick to beat San Marino. And now? Now the sun is shining down on Dublin and Trappattoni is our manager! Absolutely brilliant.
    Even during the calamitous "i'm the gaffa era' i always thought we had a squad good enough to qualify for tournaments, all we needed was a good manager. Now we have a proven world class manager!! Qualification is guaranteed of course, but what a chance. I'm excited!

And yes, Dunne most certainly for captain. Like he should been two years ago

monkey9 wrote: »
    Qualification is guaranteed of course
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAH

lol

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAH

lol

Sh!t, i meant NOT guaranteed.

I know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

pfft! the guy didnt even make it onto the SFA's shortlist for the scotland job............:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

He is known in Austria and Germany for being a total crazy man, shouting and ranting in his own version of barely comprehensible german. I hope he brings this to Irish soccer :D

edit: !!! Look at his reaction to Salzberg conceding a goal at 4:48 on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXpw7svQwU
    where have we seen this before?

The bloke is an absolute nutjob. Perfect for Irish manager's sole. The fans will love him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

what's this religious stuff about ?

Pal wrote: »
    what's this religious stuff about ?

He's Italian, he's fairly religious, he carries holy water with him. Lots of Catholic's in their late 60s do this, it's nothing strange.

his sister is a nun apparently.

he was born on St Patrick's Day.

He's a decent manager, maybe god is on his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

joe123 wrote: »
    DesF wrote:
    Plus the fact that he's English, and has played for England.

No more mercenaries please.

ffs.
    If you play for your country at u21 level you can still change as long as you dont play for the senior side.
    No, that's not right.

----

So, El Trap plays 4-2-3-1 usually? I think it'd be better having Keane as one of the trio behind the target man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

armour87 wrote: »
    Hes approaching 70 and doesnt even speak English

And how old is Ferguson? 67 isn't he? Trap will have 10 games max per year, and then add a few more in if we qualify for a major tournament. No problem to him.

Will be interesting to see who his backup team are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

armour87 wrote: »
    Saw his big rant as manager of Bayern last nite :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bqp64q7kHmw

BTW, that's a great video. Imagine the wobbler he'll throw when he sees the likes of Kilbane and Carsley in his squad! :D

"Ireland are not a second-rate team, they are supposed to be a first-rate team," insisted Trapattoni

What a hero. This is what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

DesF?

Where is the link to what made you start this thread?

Please tell me that is a joke.

DesF?

Where is the link to what made you start this thread?
    I can't link to what was a live news bulletin on RTE Radio, but this is the closest I can get.

I hope this meets with your approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This will be interesting now

We have got a great manager, it's time to see if the players are as good as made out. I think he will get us to the playoffs, but we all know how rubbish our record is in them, and there would be no Iran to save us this time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Trapattoni promises 2010 qualification

lol Certainly beats Staunton - 'if we can get second place then fair play'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

darkman2 wrote: »
    lol Certainly beats Staunton - 'if we can get second place then fair play'

And Delaney too! http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/europe/standings/group=250479/quotes.html

Hahahahha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

new it wouldnt be el tel! layed a fortune on it! woop woop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

GioTrap? wtf is that? El Trap does not like people giving him new nicknames :mad:

DaveMcG wrote: »
    At least we don't have to worry about the age thing then; sure if he drops, he'll be back 3 days later! :D

The wit!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Great appointment, thought it would never happen . I was a bit worried about the age thing, but then I saw him training and kicking the ball around with his players yeterday on SSN.

This is gonna be great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I can't link to what was a live news bulletin on RTE Radio, but this is the closest I can get.

I hope this meets with your approval.

It could still be a Delaney lie. He may have paid that guy from Emmerdale to pretend he's Trap.

I'm not convinced.

People keep going on about his age as if he uses a walking stick or something.

The new man says

Ireland are not a second-rate team, they are supposed to be a first-rate team," insisted Trapattoni

Qualifying for the World Cup in 2010 will be hard, and playing against the Italian team will make me proud, but it should be possible for Ireland to come first

Compare that to the defeatist tripe under Staunton before he even got the job. This is the attitude we need.

I'm not convinced.

Then why did you lock the other thread. And remove your sticky?

My only concern is that he said he looks forward to working with Don Givens.....arghhhhhhhhh.

Perhaps Ireland coming back is not a formality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Everything that's been said on the thread has been reported by Sky as well. It was on SSN wasn't it? Not to mention online: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3141852,00.html

Anyway, what a feckin' great day. To think when we were all calling for Stan's head that we'd get a manager the calibre of Trapattoni. With the writer's strike also officially finishing today, it's pretty good all-round :D

• Advertisement

Then why did you lock the other thread. And remove your sticky?
    pretty sure he was joking...

pretty sure he was joking...
    Pretty sure he* knows I know that.

*lol

Im looking forward to the press conference!

Pretty sure he* knows I know that.

*lol
    shut up

Ah c'mon, happy thoughts lads. Fast forward to the full house at Croker days for the World Cup qualifiers with Trapa running out onto the pitch before kick off with the holy water.

shut up
    that's what you are, but what am I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

PSI is a female?:D

Didn't see that coming tbh

tbh

WTF is 'GioTrap'?

darkman2 wrote: »
    WTF is 'GioTrap'?

I prefer Trapa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

We need to get some liverpool fans in here to make up some songs which include his name..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement