Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ireland Manager, GioTrap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sounded like we'd havbe put up the cash for Trap regardless of O Briens involvement, but that grassroots would have suffered for it. inspiring.

Fair play from Dennis O Brien though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stekelly wrote: »
    ? Surely its a good thing that they got someone else to fund something they would have had to pay for themselves. Assuming its as they say there really isnt a way to give out about them on this.

I don't think they "got" someone to do it, I'd imagine O'Brien just came forward himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Apparently he approached them last November with the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Fair play to Denis O' Brien. I'm sure being Irish, as we do, there'll be sh1t loads of cynicism over his motives, i couldnt give a flying ---- what his motives are, he's put his hand in his pocket and should be commended for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Me too. The outcome is great so I would have no problem thanking him for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

did you see denis o'briens personal wealth!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

According to the Sunday Times Rich List 2007, Denis O'Brien's net worth was €2.262 billion (£1.498 billion), the fourth richest individual in the Irish rich list. An expected substantial flotation of Digicel on the New York Stock Exchange in 2006 did not materialize as O'Brien took 100% ownership of the company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_O%27Brien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Sounded like we'd havbe put up the cash for Trap regardless of O Briens involvement, but that grassroots would have suffered for it. inspiring.

Fair play from Dennis O Brien though.

+1

Also more ammo for the Corkonians to tell us we've been saved by 1 of their own!!!! Maybe he wants to set a precedent so nobody will think anything of it when he gives Roy the Boy 5m quid a year to take over from Trap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

woohoo, we actually got him then :D.

Now i need to make sure I get satelite TV set up over here so I can see Ireland's matches. Can anyone tell me who has the broadcasting rights for our qualifiers?
    +1
    Also more ammo for the Corkonians to tell us we've been saved by 1 of their own!!!!

Bleedin jackeens wha, find opportunity to slag off Cork even when it's something positive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Well I'm pleased we have a manager. I'm pleased our manager is a winner. I'm pleasedour manager has experience. I'm sligtly worried about the style of football we're going to play - he likes his target men - Recall for Docs???? ;);)

Seriously though, all credit to Delaney, he's done wonders here, I'm glad we have such a shrewd, competent, efficient person at the helm of the FAI....otherwise who knows what might have happened......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Is some sort of typically Irish 'debate' trying to be raised about Denis O'Brien sponsoring Trapattoni? So far nobody in this thread cares about who or how Trapattoni is paid. We really do look for any little bit of controversy dont we?

Lets be happy that we have a top class manager moving forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Rockee wrote: »
    Is some sort of typically Irish 'debate' trying to be raised about Denis O'Brien sponsoring Trapattoni? So far nobody in this thread cares about who or how Trapattoni is paid. We really do look for any little bit of controversy dont we?
    In fairness, by fleeing the country, O' Brien is essentially using money that should have paid for schools and hospitals to give an Italian a nice retirement jig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Beat me to it. The guys a joke plain and simple. Not everything he does is bad but plain and simple he's incompetant.

If by incompetent you mean that since he took over there are now more footballers than Gaelic footballers and hurlers combined, the LoI has been dramatically improved and the most decorated manager in Europe has taken the reigns and as it turns out at a nominal cost to the FAI, well I would love to know what your idea of success is.

The constant whinging is getting tiresome. At least wait until the day after the Delaney led FAI land Traps essentially for less than they paid Bobby Staunton to call him a "joke" and "incompetant" (sic).

If by incompetent you mean that since he took over there are now more footballers than Gaelic footballers and hurlers combined, the LoI has been dramatically improved and the most decorated manager in Europe has taken the reigns and as it turns out at a nominal cost to the FAI, well I would love to know what your idea of success is.

All down to John Delaney is it? Who was our last manager again? The LOI has not been dramatically improved at all, and any progress would have sweet f*ck all to do with Delaney and the FAI if it did occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

In fairness, by fleeing the country, O' Brien is essentially using money that should have paid for schools and hospitals to give an Italian a nice retirement jig.
    He's under no obligation to pay Irish tax. Would you say the same of anyone else who decides to base them self in another country while still classifying them self as Irish and traveling on a Irish passport.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

there are now more footballers than Gaelic footballers and hurlers combined (sic).

is there really? have you a link?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    All down to John Delaney is it? Who was our last manager again? The LOI has not been dramatically improved at all, and any progress would have sweet f*ck all to do with Delaney and the FAI if it did occur.

No, but the reality is the organisation he is in charge of have pulled off a magnificent coup. And still the whingers arent happy.

Some of you either walk around with a rain cloud over your heads all day or simply have not got a clue.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    is there really? have you a link?

ERSI survey on participatory sport. More basketballers than hurlers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Bluetonic wrote: »
    He's under no obligation to pay Irish tax. Would you say the same of anyone else who decides to base them self in another country while still classifying them self as Irish and traveling on a Irish passport.

I hope this helps.
    Oh right. Maybe we should just all go and declare ourselves residents in countries with favourable tax regimes. Oh, I forgot, Joe Soap on the street isn't rich enough to own a private jet, so they can be flown between the tax haven and country of residence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ERSI survey on participatory sport. More basketballers than hurlers too.

wow thats a suprise i always thought there was way more GAA players than soccer players.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

No, but the reality is the organisation he is in charge of have pulled off a magnificent coup. And still the whingers arent happy.

Some of you either walk around with a rain cloud over your heads all day or simply have not got a clue.

+1

We are the nation of begrudgers and whingers after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Dunphy suggested back in November that a benefactor could help secure the best man getting the job....all hail Eamo for putting the idea out there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I suppose it's better than Joe Public having to stump it up. How in ever, it just goes to show how much of a joke the FAI are when they can't even afford to pay the manager. Desperate times for the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

stepbar wrote: »
    I suppose it's better than Joe Public having to stump it up. How in ever, it just goes to show how much of a joke the FAI are when they can't even afford to pay the manager. Desperate times for the FAI.

Ah here, they could afford to pay a manager. We couldn't afford to pay a manager of that quality, having read this forum for a good while I've noticed people are under no illusions about the fact that we can't afford to pay for top notch. So instead of settling for less, they've gotten someone in to make sure they can go that bit better. Fair play to them like.

stepbar wrote: »

Jesus wept.

If they turned down the money you would be giving out as well. The level of criticism the FAI get, even on a day like today is unprecedented.

No-one is suggesting that they couldnt afford Traps without this, but thats a million a year that can now go to the grassroots.

You would want to have some personality issues to be trying to attack the FAI today. Astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

lol look who Aldridge recommends for managing the u-21 or u-18s

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7243113.stm

"The benefit of Trapattoni's experience must be allowed to filter through to the grassroots of Irish football.

John Aldridge is encouraged by the Italian's desire to get Liam Brady on board and he is hoping that other former Republic of Ireland players will be attracted into the FAI's coaching structure.

"Besides Chippy (Liam Brady), you have under-21 and under-18 managers and you should be getting in people who know it's all about.

"We shouldn't just have schoolteacher types.

"What about Jason McAteers as an example of someone we should be getting in? He's been there and done it."

He'd probably forget you can only call up players with irish connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Why do we need a new thread for this exactly? It's not as if the OP was terribly insightful.

Merging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jesus wept.

If they turned down the money you would be giving out as well. The level of criticism the FAI get, even on a day like today is unprecedented.

No-one is suggesting that they couldnt afford Traps without this, but thats a million a year that can now go to the grassroots.

You would want to have some personality issues to be trying to attack the FAI today. Astonishing.

Never thought I'd say this but you're talking a lot of sense in this topic

well played

I'm delighted with Trappatoni's appointment. I couldn't care less where the money came from. So does that mean I ignore everything that Delaney has done wrong? Lets remind ourselves here.

- I'm not happy because John Delaney is still in charge of the FAI. After being promised a "world-class manager" in 2005, Steve Staunton was given a FOUR year contract for a job he was completely underqualified for, and will probably cost over £1.4m in compensation alone given that he only "managed" (for want of a better word) for 21 months.

- The FAI did not appoint Giovanni Trappatoni, don't forget that. The three man panel did. Remember Delaney saying he was distancing himself from the process a couple of months back? How many Football Associations on the planet don't even appoint their own managers?

- Don Givens was put in temporary charge of the Irish national team. The man with more enemies than hot dinners himself.

- Delaney is aiming high this time around though, he says we're aiming for the playoffs. Call him realistic if you want but if you don't set your sights high then you'll only be disappointed.

- Fans not allowed to voice their opinions at games with "Delaney Out" banners or posters....

- In Delaneys time in charge of the FAI, Dublin City, Limerick, Kilkenny and very nearly Shelbourne and Shamrock Rovers, have gone out of business. Progress indeed. Clubs are being fined for the most ridiculous things, every EL fan knows that. The licensing farce. The Genesis Report. Delaney has done nothing good for domestic soccer.

- He has given himself a 6 year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

OMG listen to setanta sports now.

The fat dolan guy is ranting like a mad man :eek:

• Advertisement

Only caught the end, what did he say roughly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I'm delighted with Trappatoni's appointment. I couldn't care less where the money came from.

TBH I do care about where the money comes from esspecially since it comes from a tax exile. Its absurd that a cash rich organistion of an International soccer team has now plumbed the depths of patheticness we normally associate with the likes of Russia subsidising their national manager (Abramovich) - I dont like this precedent. I think this is a bad precedent for a country not known for this sort of thing. We may get away with Trapattoni's committment but next time out managers will only be looking for the dosh. Will they really care about the Irish team or fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I f*ckin hate Pat Dolan, most annoying "pundit" in the world (and I include Andy Gray in this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Unearthly wrote: »
    Only caught the end, what did he say roughly?

Basically slaughtered Trapa

Saying the wools being pulled over our eyes.

We should have got lippi.

Trappatonni is too old, past it, he's just after the money.

Slagging the holy water and the pope.

cheers

lol

Wonder did Dolan back Venables to cause such an outburst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what about? dont have setanta

<edit> bit late, cheers!

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    cheers

lol

Wonder did Dolan back Venables to cause such an outburst

Wonder did Dolan apply for the job?:D

BTW cant wait for Venables reaction.

darkman2 wrote: »
    TBH I do care about where the money comes from esspecially since it comes from a tax exile. Its absurd that a cash rich organistion of an International soccer team has now plumbed the depths of patheticness we normally associate with the likes of Russia subsidising their national manager (Abramovich) - I dont like this precedent. I think this is a bad precedent for a country not known for this sort of thing. We may get away with Trapattoni's committment but next time out managers will only be looking for the dosh. Will they really care about the Irish team or fans?

Are we really "cash rich" after Staunton though?

Obviously Trapattoni isn't doing it because he loves the Irish team or fans, he's getting a nice paycheck for it, and fair play to him. Anyone would do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, I for one am uneasy about Denis O'Brien's financial involvement. Its one thing having a genuine businessman with bona fide credentials giving some money for grassroots football, but its another thing for a businessman who's financial wealth is built on a "dodgy" background allegedly and is still subject to scrutiny by a tribunal of the state (fact) which has yet to report (fact) but going by its records so far, it is clear that his dealings were not all above board. Also, he went public on his sponsorship of the role and he had the choice of staying anonymous. Is he trying to buy his way back into the public's good books?

Ironically on the RTE Six-One news Delaney said that the FAI would have been able to afford Trapattoni without O'Brien's money and that his money will be used for the grassroots of the game.

I'm sorry, but you cant have it both ways.

Its good to get in Trapattoni, although I wont judge him overall until I see performances and results as the past is of no use to us, but its another thing if Denis O'Brien as been involved in getting him in. That tarnishes it somewhat and something that we could have done without.

Redspider

There is something about O'Briens involvement that has definately taken the gloss off this and 'uneasy' is a good way to describe it. I hope it works for us but I dont really like this precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

redspider wrote: »
    Ironically on the RTE Six-One news Delaney said that the FAI would have been able to afford Trapattoni without O'Brien's money and that his money will be used for the grassroots of the game.

I'm sorry, but you cant have it both ways.
    :confused: Why not? Surely thats wrong. The fact O'Brien has given the FAI the money surely means that they can have it both ways. And surely this is a good thing? No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Really?!

This surprises me. I have a lot of time for Dolan and usually relate to a lot he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Same here Nunu, I am a fan but if he attacked Trap then I have no time for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It's the FAI ffs :rolleyes: Backslaps all round :rolleyes:

Look, its a great day for Irish soccer fans but don't start congratulating the FAI for their part in all this. If we had to have engaged a world class manager 2 odd years ago we'd probably be heading to Euro 2008 by now and said manager would have paid for himself. Ah but no, we get the class dunce :rolleyes:

Let's face it the FAI have no shame. The FAI should have just shut their gob and said nothing. They didn't need to in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

While O`Brien seems to have coughed up the cash for the good of the team he supports as opposed to any type of "Ireland Success: brought to you by X Industries, a subsidary of Y Conglomerate", Tony O Donoghue was on RTE tonight and you could sense the "FFS" in the way he delivered the news to an maith liom caca milis Sharon Ni Beholain. It is unprecendented. It is a woeful summing up of the FAI that they need an extrernal bribe. Fcuk sake, half of the country has one Ireland jersey. A significant proportion, like myself, have both the home and away shirt. A few more have the home shirt, the away shirt, the training tracksuit and the goalie jersey. Exactly how does the FAI not have enough dosh of its own with maybe close on half the public having bought their gear in the last 2 years? Not to mention the, what, 290,000 people (by my reckoning for the 3 Croker games) who have paid in 2007 and 2008 into Croker?

shane86 wrote: »
    While O`Brien seems to have coughed up the cash for the good of the team he supports as opposed to any type of "Ireland Success: brought to you by X Industries, a subsidary of Y Conglomerate", Tony O Donoghue was on RTE tonight and you could sense the "FFS" in the way he delivered the news to an maith liom caca milis Sharon Ni Beholain. It is unprecendented. It is a woeful summing up of the FAI that they need an extrernal bribe. Fcuk sake, half of the country has one Ireland jersey. A significant proportion, like myself, have both the home and away shirt. A few more have the home shirt, the away shirt, the training tracksuit and the goalie jersey. Exactly how does the FAI not have enough dosh of its own with maybe close on half the public having bought their gear in the last 2 years? Not to mention the, what, 290,000 people (by my reckoning for the 3 Croker games) who have paid in 2007 and 2008 into Croker?

The FAI has the money. 35 million in reserves alone I heard thats why I dont understand this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Who the fück is Pat Dolan?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Setanta sports pundit!! Jeez he really let loose tonight!! Thought he was gonna wreck the place! He maintained the whole process stunk!! Poor Brian Kerr couldn't get a word in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Can anyone here shed some more light on Trapattoni's managerial career? I'm too young and Wiki isn't very helpful in this regard.

I'm curious as to how he originally became the Juventus manager having played at Milan for the most part of his playing career, then managing Milan for one season without success. And then why did he quit in 1986, and how did Juve fans react to him managing Inter in between his two spells there?

Also, what exactly happened with Bayern Munich? He managed them for a season in 94/95, then went to Cagliari the following year, only to return to Munich and win the domestic double over two seasons. If his first spell was unsuccessful then why did they take him back? And what was he doing at Cagliari? That seems akin to Ferguson taking over at Portsmouth or somewhere like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i suppose the connection with denis o'brien could have been done without im sure i read an interview with delaney that he stated the FAI had very healthy finances and had record profit last year.but i aint gonna let that sour the day its a great feeling hearing trap's name than when they announced that prick stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i'm not sure if this was already posted.his english is fairly good im sure come may it will have improved quiet a bit.
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid958992159/bctid1416618418

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement