Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ireland Manager, GioTrap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I'll stick to the real thing thanks.

have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

DesF wrote: »

Fai put money into the domestic game.

Just lol.

The FAI pump huge money into the grassroots. To deny that is foolish. That chip is blinding your view of reality.

An extra million to keep the blazers in four course meals more like.

:rolleyes:

Have you proof the FAI are misappropriating funds? Otherwise you really should watch what you type.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of the FAI will know Delaney has castrated the blazers and centralised power. You know this.
    Yeah, let's just forget everything they've ever done in tha past, and concentrate on the one half decent thing they've done. Sweep everything under the carpet.

I'm a Rovers fan, I have far more previous with the FAI than you. In fact Shels fans should get down on their knees and thank the FAI for allowing their, ahem, 'business model' continue as long as it did. No-one is talking about sweeping things under the carpet, but anyone who denies the FAI are a better run organisation across the board under Delaney is either has an agenda or not a clue.

They get enough criticism valid and otherwise when things go wrong and they deserve praise when things go right. FAIrs FAIr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Have you proof the FAI are misappropriating funds?

I have.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4610306.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

'boss hogg' dolan is ranting again in the Star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wow, OhNoYouDidn't just won this thread with his last post. Love the shels reference.

Indeed.

Lets hope if the FAI legal team are reading that that they share the same blinding wit you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

FAIL

The FAI + L Plate manager Stan. I don't think people will forget that joke as quickly as you OhNoYouDidn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I can say for a fact that the FAI do invest heavily in grassroots, saying they don't is nonsense.

rkm wrote: »
    FAIL

The FAI + L Plate manager Stan. I don't think people will forget that joke as quickly as you OhNoYouDidn't.

Slavin Bilic.

rkm wrote: »
    FAIL

who is forgetting? I was more critical than most on Stan from day 1 because I have an insight into one of the reasons he was hired that hasnt really been made public. I was furious at the FAI then and the whole of his farcical reign. That is one of the legitimate criticisms I was saying are fair game.

But the question is why are we still talking about it?

• Advertisement

Slavin Bilic.

Thats just wonderful. So the FAI were right to appoint Staunton after promising a "world-class manager"? Or what on earth is your point here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

because I have an insight into one of the reasons he was hired that hasnt really been made public.

:eek:

we're through the looking glass people. Please, spill the beans??!!

But the question is why are we still talking about it?

Because we can't just ignore it ffs. You can't go out and promise gold and deliver silver, and expect people to forget about it. Stan was given a four year deal, and is still being paid for it.

What you are asking us to do is ignore that Staunton ever happened, you cannot deny that.

Because we can't just ignore it ffs. You can't go out and promise gold and deliver silver, and expect people to forget about it. Stan was given a four year deal, and is still being paid for it.

What you are asking us to do is ignore that Staunton ever happened, you cannot deny that.

How did you get that from what I read? This is insane.

On a thread in relation to the new boss, people are still giving out about the old one. Thats unhealthy.

There is a time and a place and this is neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

eirebhoy wrote: »

Thank you eirebhoy, thread back on topic. Lads, put the Stan thing to rest. Look at the name of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I can't wait for all the terrible puns(which have already started here)

'Italians to fall into a Trap ?'
    'Giovanni is Trapp-ed , as FAI refuse to let pensioner out of his contract :eek: '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Big Ears wrote: »

'Giovanni is Trapp-ed , as FAI refuse to let pensioner out of his contract :eek: '

"Offside Trap : Gio Puts his foot in it with Lovely Girls comment!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

kinaldo wrote: »
    Can anyone here shed some more light on Trapattoni's managerial career? I'm too young and Wiki isn't very helpful in this regard.

I'm curious as to how he originally became the Juventus manager having played at Milan for the most part of his playing career, then managing Milan for one season without success. And then why did he quit in 1986, and how did Juve fans react to him managing Inter in between his two spells there?

Also, what exactly happened with Bayern Munich? He managed them for a season in 94/95, then went to Cagliari the following year, only to return to Munich and win the domestic double over two seasons. If his first spell was unsuccessful then why did they take him back? And what was he doing at Cagliari? That seems akin to Ferguson taking over at Portsmouth or somewhere like that.
    Bump.

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0214/tardellim.html

Marco Tardelli to assist Trapa. NICE!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

kinaldo wrote: »
    Bump.

Anyone?

I was too young to remember any of his career in the 80's, but at a guess Id say the Heysel Stadium disaster had a big say in him leaving Juve. That dark day signalled the end of an era for Juventus.

I was an avid watcher of the German game in his time there so can shed some light on that. At the end of the 93/94 season after guiding Bayern to the title Beckenbauer moved up stairs to become club president. Trapattoni took over the club, whose players at this stage were already appearing more often on the front pages of the paper thant he back pages. The club earned the nickname FC Hollywood because it was becoming a soap opera off the field. That season was very trying for Trapattoni and he resigned citing language difficulties...the club did not want him to go.
    As a stop gap measure Beckenbauer stepped in as coach again for one season and they actually won the UEFA Cup. Meanwhile Trapattoni was sacked for the first time in his career at Cagliari, a job he took up, probably ill advisedly, after his unexpected departure from Bayern.
    Bayern got back in touch and persuaded him to take charge again beginning the 96/97 season.

How did you get that from what I read? This is insane.

On a thread in relation to the new boss, people are still giving out about the old one. Thats unhealthy.

There is a time and a place and this is neither.

Okay, you are saying that its ridiculous that people are still criticizing the FAI after appointing Trapattoni.

I'm saying that just because they've ticked one box correctly doesn't mean we should ignore the fact that so many others weren't.

"But the question is why are we still talking about it?"

Thats the quote that makes me believe you want to ignore the Staunton saga.

It was Tardelli who sold Robbie Keane right? I don't think it means anything, but still weird how things come around again. I doubt Keane thought he would be dealing with Tardelli again.

I was just thinking, if Il Trap is succesful, but decides after two years to leave, maby Tardelli will become number one?

Also, does anyone think this could perhaps get some players in the Irish team moves to Italy? Maby Doyle, or Hunt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I was just thinking, if Il Trap is succesful, but decides after two years to leave, maby Tardelli will become number one?

Also, does anyone think this could perhaps get some players in the Irish team moves to Italy? Maby Doyle, or Hunt?

I'm curious and concerned that its a 2 year contract, considering Stan got a 4 year deal. That means that he may walk post WC2010 regardless of the outcome. How long then to get a new manager?

As far as players going to Seria A? Steady on, Doyle and Hunt (did you send them Valentines DesF? :p) wouldn't survive in Seria A. Hunt's game is basically soley suited to the EPL - high energy frenetic stuff. Doyle wouldn't like the marking and quality of defending.

Duff may do well, where he'd get more protection. Keane might make another go of it. The pace could suit Andy Reid, but I don't think any club would go for him.

Who else? Maybe McGeady?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Rockee wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0214/tardellim.html

Marco Tardelli to assist Trapa. NICE!!! :D:D

Yes, this is the same guy who's team (Inter I think) got caught with a load of prostitutes:rolleyes:

Cant get anymore classy then that.

• Advertisement

Anyone see his profile on wiki?

On 14th February 2008, Tardelli confimed that he will be on the Republic of Ireland national football team coaching staff when Giovanni Trapattoni takes over as manager in May. Tardelli is likely to act as Trapattoni's assistant. With Liam Brady soon to be appointed as another assistant, the holy trinity of football coaching will be complete. On the day of the announcement of his joining the Republic of Ireland coaching team Irish bookies have slashed odds of Ireland winning the next world cup to evens.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/b/b8/Tardelli1982.jpg

Which one of you wrote that?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm curious and concerned that its a 2 year contract, considering Stan got a 4 year deal. That means that he may walk post WC2010 regardless of the outcome. How long then to get a new manager?

His contract is from May 1st 2008, for 2 years, which means it ends April 30th 2010, he could be gone PRE WC2010 :eek::eek:

Unless there is some clause which says he has to stay if we qualify.

How many times have we heard of coaches leaving before major tournaments?
    Doyle and Hunt (did you send them Valentines DesF? :p)
    Yeah, and Longers.

And you, did you not see it :(:(

Who else? Maybe McGeady?
    Probably wouldn't be confident enough to play in Italy :rolleyes:

His contract is from May 1st 2008, for 2 years, which means it ends April 30th 2010, he could be gone PRE WC2010 :eek::eek:
    :

Its two years with two additional one year options. After two years either side can agree another year or either side can walk away. Same as Kerr, but after 2 years the FAI decided not to renew.

Okay, you are saying that its ridiculous that people are still criticizing the FAI after appointing Trapattoni.

I'm saying that just because they've ticked one box correctly doesn't mean we should ignore the fact that so many others weren't.

"But the question is why are we still talking about it?"

Thats the quote that makes me believe you want to ignore the Staunton saga.

I am saying in a thread about Trappatoni, whay are you talking about Stan? If you want to give out about Stans appointment, open a thread 3 years ago.

Do you think when Rovers got Scully the talk was about why McGuire hired Collins?

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Wasn't Tardelli the player in that famous footage from the '82 World Cup Final when he scored and ran toward the crowd shaking his head, clenching his fist with a look of sheer emotion on his face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

monkey9 wrote: »
    Wasn't Tardelli the player in that famous footage from the '82 World Cup Final when he scored and ran toward the crowd shaking his head, clenching his fist with a look of sheer emotion on his face?

Thats him - hopfully bring some emotion to the irish squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah that's the chap alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest, even if he had a 4 year contract, if he wanted out after 2, he'd be gone. Contracts mean next to nothing these days, as we can see with Scotlands last 2 managers. At least this way, if either party wants out, its over after 2 years, and if both want to continue, we'll continue.

Unless there is some clause which says he has to stay if we qualify.

How many times have we heard of coaches leaving before major tournaments?

I have some recollection from one of the news broadcasts about it that its a 2 year deal running to the end of the world cup if we qualify.

And on Tardelli, here he is in all his glory!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WjoCfRVTw9s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Are we really "cash rich" after Staunton though?

Obviously Trapattoni isn't doing it because he loves the Irish team or fans, he's getting a nice paycheck for it, and fair play to him. Anyone would do the same.

I have to say, i don't think he's doing this for the paycheck if that's what you're implying. If you're not, fair enough.
    I think we're paying him roughly the same as he is on at Salzburg. The club is owned by a millionaire so he could have just stayed there and took the pay check. At 68 years of age, he's a multi-millionaire so he could have just retired and seen out his days comfortably.
    I think this is purely a football decision. He sees it as a challenge, his last big one and thinks we can qualify.

I think a huge factor in Trapattoni taking the job was the fact that we have Italy in our group. I think he has a bit of unfinished business there.

Independent.ie
    An unrelenting rage to win
    Capello and Trapattoni are 10 years apart but, in relating to players, they could be from the same womb

By James Lawton
    Friday February 15 2008

Giovanni Trapattoni and Liam Brady will scarcely need to rehearse any bad-cop, good-cop routines if, as seems likely, they revive a partnership underpinned by their days at Juventus -- a classic relationship between a master coach and a player of both superior talent and competitive mentality.

Brady, perhaps while coaxing back into the fold the hauntingly gifted Stephen Ireland, has the paternal touch developed as overseer of Arsenal's apparently endless stream of young virtuosos and then if somewhere along the road a touch of serious discipline is required, it is of course implicit in the Trapattoni deal.

Which would you prefer? A little ungentle persuasion by the gardai or that now celebrated YouTube glimpse of a displeased Trapattoni bursting into life?

The truth appears to be that even in this celebrity age, extravagantly rewarded footballers still yearn, in some case maybe subconsciously, for the force of strong leadership. Footballers are, by the nature of their existence, insecure. They clamour for some of the certainties of life that can be so elusive in a world where disaster can be just one game away.

A powerful reminder of this old truth has come with the extraordinary impact on the England team of Trapattoni's compatriot Fabio Capello.

Nearly a decade separates the two men, but in their achievements and their priorities it appears they might have come from the same womb and at roughly the same time. Interestingly, both expressed interest in the challenge of picking up the pieces of England left by the disastrous period under the control of Sven Goran Eriksson and Steve McClaren. What they saw was an alleged superpower dwindling almost beyond sight for the lack of some of the most fundamental qualities of a successful team: basic discipline, continuity, and, perhaps most of all, the command of someone who could quite simply tell them what to do, on and off the field.

While the younger man won what most would regard as the more demanding challenge -- and a commensurate salary -- the task ahead of Trapattoni in Ireland is remarkably similar.

He has to fill a void left by inadequate leadership. In Ireland's case this was due to the flimsiest of experience. First Brian Kerr, then Steve Staunton were invited to cover ground they had never known before. Capello's inheritance was a complete breakdown in any sense that superstars like David Beckham, Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen were answerable to much else beyond their own demands on themselves.

For Ireland now, confidence in their wisdom of their choice, of the man and the tradition he represents, can only be hugely enhanced by the initial impact of Capello on England.

Last week's 2-1 friendly victory over Switzerland may not have lit up the sky above North London but the aura surrounding the new coach, his style, his unforced authority, plus the fact that the rejected, unfit David Beckham was flying back to La-La land in a spectacular huff and that Owen was apparently in a state of shock that he had not even been invited off the bench, was nothing less than astonishing. Afterwards, questions which might have troubled Sven and McClaren bounced off Capello as though they were paper arrows.

Was he troubled by cries of support for Beckham (before his replacement David Bentley settled into a performance of thrilling promise)? Why should he be troubled, Capello asked. Players made themselves popular with fans for various reasons, but none of them had anything to do with the coach.

He saw players in a different light, the most significant illuminating what they might contribute to the team. Yes, he respected Michael Owen, but all players were level when it came to one of his selections.

Puzzled

Was Capello worried about any possible adverse reaction from Alex Ferguson or Rafa Benitez for the unusually extended playing time for Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard. Capello was only briefly puzzled. Then he said that he had a job to do and the most important aspect was assessing the quality of his new players in the course of the game, not just the cameo roles Eriksson, particularly, threw around like confetti.

Maybe the most eloquent point made by Capello was found in the demeanour of his players. If they were smarting over new requirements, like dressing properly, attending meals punctually, clearing the team hotel of agents and other hangers-on, the majority did not show it. Indeed, some could not recall a more statesman-like after-match performance from temporary captain Gerrard.

It happened that Gerrard produced a display of remarkable composure. His play had a thread of coherence that so often had not accompanied his rampaging instincts while on international duty. Yes, he said, there was so much to do but the atmosphere in the team was good. There was a high commitment.

YouTube may not have been drawn to the post-game performance of Capello. But that did not separate him from Giovanni Trapattoni. As his somewhat more volatile countryman had done at a time of bitter disappointment in the performance of key players, he had made clear his potential for anger if his values were ever ignored. In this, they shared, absolutely, one abiding emotion.

The good news for both England and Ireland is that it is an unrelenting rage to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Thats a good read, nothing we didn't already know - but interesting

The guy is right, the two actually do face similar challenges at this moment in time. England are not a dead cert to qualify either, Croatia as they showed are a cracking team, who manage to blend very good players and teamwork, and Ukraine are quite similar to Ireland in style, but not with the same class of players.

Actual when Traps appointment was announced the other day Skynews went with a similar comparison. Although it was a bit annoying when they said, "Coming up after the break in the sports news, 'How Ireland could afford to get Trapattoni'"
    And then the actual report compared the successes of both managers noting that Trap had 19 trophies compared to Capello's 10.

Tbh, they did seem a little p1ssed off that we got a manager that's just as good as theirs at at least they seemed a bit sarky about it in their reprt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I have to say, i don't think he's doing this for the paycheck if that's what you're implying. If you're not, fair enough.
    I think we're paying him roughly the same as he is on at Salzburg. The club is owned by a millionaire so he could have just stayed there and took the pay check. At 68 years of age, he's a multi-millionaire so he could have just retired and seen out his days comfortably.
    I think this is purely a football decision. He sees it as a challenge, his last big one and thinks we can qualify.

thats what i like to hear, he's not just takin the job until another offer comes his way (like imo what venebles would have done), he knows its difficult and he is going for it! fair play to him! go traps!!

SONO IL CAPO-I'm the gaffer (in italien)

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Actual when Traps appointment was announced the other day Skynews went with a similar comparison. Although it was a bit annoying when they said, "Coming up after the break in the sports news, 'How Ireland could afford to get Trapattoni'"
    And then the actual report compared the successes of both managers noting that Trap had 19 trophies compared to Capello's 10.

Tbh, they did seem a little p1ssed off that we got a manager that's just as good as theirs at at least they seemed a bit sarky about it in their reprt.

Of course they are raising an eyebrow across the water. Trapattoni has more trophy's and accolades to his name yet we got him for quite less money then the FA are paying Capello.

People did you know Ireland have only lost seven competitive games in seven years(if Spain is not included)...that is astounding. 3 of those games were in the last campaign, less than Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

People did you know Ireland have only lost seven competitive games in seven years(if Spain is not included)...that is astounding. 3 of those games were in the last campaign, less than Scotland.

Unfortunately stats work both ways

Who was the last good team we beat competitively? Holland 2001 I think

We just have to turn those draws into wins:(

Yeah agreed, it does look nice though. I guess you could say the last good team we beat was Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Not being able to beat any decent team away from home is a major problem too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

IIRC Stan lauded the fact he won 9 out of his 11 competitive games, or was it that he was only beat in 3 of his (iirc) 14 games in total.. The Scots pulled off that unreal win in France via that cracker of a goal by McFadden (best of the campaigns by any country I saw, which made it all the more awful they went out like they did). As was said, we have not pulled off an away win against the big boys abroad in years, best from my memory was holding France to a draw in Paris.

Good when you read it, but lets face it, it was dying second goals from Ste Ireland and Finnan, plus aother Ireland goal in a Wales match we should have won 3-0 and thatr we were lucky not to draw in, which prevented us going to 4th or even 5th seeders. Litreally seconds seperated us, the 1990 quarter finalists, from going to the spot reserved for ex Soviet cast offs. In international terms it would have been an unprecendented decline of Leeds Utd or Notts proportions, and one that could well have taken a decade to climb out of. I didnt believe it at the time but people were right, its best we didnt make it to Euro 08. If we had won our 3 final games, and the Czechs had made some monumental triple **** up meaning we took it by (iirc) a single point after a Cyprus win against them, Stan would still be boss, we would make an utter arse of ourselves in the group stage and get knocked out, but Stan would still be in his job post tournament for merely getting us to Switzerland.

Shane have you been drinking? That post seems interesting but normally you write extremely clearly.

When you have your thoughs, you must actually edit that post, as I like what you were getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Shane have you been drinking? That post seems interesting but normally you write extremely clearly.

Yes :D Punditry in the Dunphy style.

B1 in honours LC English :P Which is why the level headed me speeks teh goddz inglishisms. If you think the above is bad check out my waffling rambling after having been in the pub since 1pm for Ireland v Wales and (the match aftwrwards that, at the time, actually meant something) Scotland v Italy.

I waffled on boards until 11 with long winded rambling about bastard Italians and how i felt sorry for all the sound as a pound ****ers id got acquainted with in Glasgow on a previous weekend there over the summer, at which time i got a call about a house party in christchurch, at which i rang a mate, told him to get a taxi and bring a bottle of vodka i knew was hanging round his gaff (it didnt belong to him....but still)

Anyways, back to the fuzzball.......

So.......is this what we can expect in Malahide?:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inliCpILdCE&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Big Ears wrote: »

I've been telling colleagues to 'shut their Trappatoni' for the last day.... very satisfying!! (especially to my mate who is whining about the €450 he fluted away on Houllier with a El Tel hedge for good measure!! :rolleyes:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement