Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polenta. Does anybody use it?

• 13-02-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Polenta. I like Italian cooking and have goten past the stage now of trying to be authentic as I can, Making my own pasta etc...

I wouldnt mind trying Polenta. Does anybody use it? can I get it in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Two ways to serve polenta. Wet, as a porridge type addition to a plate, or set - where the cooked polenta is allowed to cool in a tray. It can then be cut into blocks or wedges and grilled or baked.

Like pasta, rice, spuds - polenta doesn't taste of much on it's own. Needs the addition of goodies to boost the flavour. So season with salt and pepper, add butter or cheese. I have a recipe from Quaglino's cookbook for wet polenta with cauliflower. It is very good - might have gorgonzola in too, iirc.

To cook it, the instructions on the box are fairly accurate. Pour the required amount into a pan of boiling water, stirring constantly. As it thickens it will start to throw globs of polenta out of the pan, so have a lid ready. Most polenta in the supermarkets is quick cook, so about 20 minutes and it is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dulux

Excellent, as I said I have a load of recipes for polenta but didnt know we could get it here in the supermarkets! I will give a couple a go and try them out on the familly and post results here :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

And when cooking it stir, stir and stir it again. You can't stir the stuff often enough during the cooking time.

It's best cooled and grilled later though IMHO rather than serving it as porridge.

Advertisement