Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunne for captain?

• 13-02-2008 2:56pm

So we are all delighted that the FAI have finally landed a good manager. Now we need to look at the team to find a leader on the pitch and I think Dunne is the man to do it. Playing out of his socks this year for city alongside Richards. Robbie Keane can be on his day a good striker but he has so many of days & I dont think he has the right attitude to lead a country onto a football pitch.

So Dunne for Captain? Discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I concur. No to RK and Dickie has come such a long way. Might as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bit of a no brainer this one.

+1

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bit of a no brainer this one.

+1

I disagree, I actually know a few people that dont think Dunne would be a good captain because of his messy younger days. Just getting opinions!

Terry had some messy younger days as well didn't he?

KaG1888 wrote: »
    I disagree, I actually know a few people that dont think Dunne would be a good captain because of his messy younger days. Just getting opinions!

Ah here. The guy is 28. His 'messy younger days' are long, long gone. He's been club player of the year the last three years and leads by example on and off the pithc. There's no better candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Absof*ckinlutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Absof*ckinlutely.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

well he's the obvious choice with given as vice.
    who knows what the new man has in mind though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No. No. No. No.

Don't take it off Robbie.

DesF wrote: »
    No. No. No. No.

And let's keep Delaney in the job while we're at it. Both great at what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

No. No. No. No.

Couldn't disagree more tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Dunne for captain

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In terms of the captaincy, it is always important to remember that we as the punters are really not qualified to comment on who is or isn't a natural leader in the dressing room and well respected by their teammates. There is more to the captaincy than on the field performance. Plus, seeing a player shouting out instructions doesn't neccesarily mean they are effectively communicating anything.

Are their calls good? Clear? Are their calls and finger pointing actually respected and followed by the other players?

It is fashionable to say that Keane is a "bad" captain. But then why is has he been given the armband at spurs also? Maybe he does and says things that are vital in the run up to games? Maybe he is a natural leader and works hard to engage with all members of the squad and help players to fit in and be comfortable in the international environment. Maybe the little he says on a pitch is quality over quantity. And the players respect the fact that he runs his socks off?

Or maybe not.

The point is that I really think this is a area that we can only guess at and a thread like this is pretty lol pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's exactly because of his messy days that he should be captain. The fact that he has come through that, turned his career around and transformed himself into one of the best centre backs in the premiership. He's an inspiration to the younger players if they're going through the same things and i'm sure can provide plenty of advise. Also leads by example on the pitch as well. SG Eriksson was saying he was ill over the weekend with tonsilitis and came straight from his bed to put in the performance he did against Utd. I'd say he's got the respect from everyone he plays with and under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah agree

Big game player, leads his team from the back.

Just hope Keane doesn't take it personally if he is stripped off the captaincy

It shouldn't be taken off Robbie.

It shouldn't be taken off Robbie.
    This isn't the LOI Des, we got the message the first time :):p

kaimera wrote: »
    This isn't the LOI Des, we got the message the first time :):p
    feck off gah boy :D

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The point is that I really think this is a area that we can only guess at and a thread like this is pretty lol pointless.

Aren't there so many threads that would meet this category?

I wanted a discussion about it because I feel as a leader, Robbie didn't do it on the pitch. When we were going through that shocking time with Steve Staunton I never once seen Robbie giving the motivation to players on the pitch, ever! He was just too quiet throughout it all and a leader does not do that. I seen no encouragement towards the players or the sometimes workable approach of going nuts at certain people. Lloyd your probably right about him having a big influence behind the scenes but I think it is much more important to have the influence on the pitch. Look at players from the past that did that job for their teams - Tony Adams, Roy Keane etc. Their attitude on the pitch transpired to the team & they won games. Thats what we need and Dunne seems like the type to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think it would be harsh to completely overlook Given if he wanted it. I'd also consider Carsley a great candidate

• Advertisement

Given turned it down the last time before they gave it to Robbie so I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

its only an armband and a coin toss!! who cares! if dunne is already leading by example anyway and organising the team etc, what difference will stickin an armband on him do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think giving the armband to Dunne will have any effect on the team. He leads on the pitch as it is. We need somebody to be the captain who represents what we are trying to achieve, and Keane is that. He has to be how we intend to play in the future, because we have a lot of techincal talent at our disposal now, and we need to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Seeing as captain is an honoury role (IMO) and it leads to this nonsense that the capt always plays if he is fit, Shay Given is the only option IMO. Seldom has a bad game, true leader, 110% commited.

Not to disrespect Dunne, but even at that surely its less of a snub to Keane to give it to a longer serving player rather than a guy who is only a year older than him.

Aren't there so many threads that would meet this category?

Yep, if you're smart - posting in soccer forums is a huge waste of your time. I'm not smart obv. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

+1 for dunne and id make robbie vice captain .keane has had a few great seasons at spurs and i think its coz jol/ramos have told him wot to do/gameplan,its seems with ireland he is giving a free reign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ok im not robbies biggest fan...infact i rele do NOT think he should have ever been made captain, he doesnt have a strong leadership mentality, but more than that, i dont think a striker should be made captain, pretty much any other position could but strikers have to be upfront, consentrating on goals first and foremost! defenders or defensive midfielders is ideal for a captain, which is why dunne would defo get my vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Going against the grain here but I reckon Given should be captain.
    The bad decisions of Dunne in his youth may be in the past but I haven't forgotten them

micmclo wrote: »
    Going against the grain here but I reckon Given should be captain.
    The bad decisions of Dunne in his youth may be in the past but I haven't forgotten them

So John Terry should not be captain of Chelsea or England for facing assault charges?

Roy Keane should never have captained United or Ireland after he was too p1ssed to play for Ireland back in '93?

Bobby Moore should have been stripped of the England captaincy for being accused of robbing jewellery at the 1970 World Cup?

Dunne leads by example on the pitch and is a mture and level headed olayer. He is now settled with a young family and is the best candidate. At least he may want the job, unlike Given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Given for captain i reckon.

As PHB said, Dunne already leads on the pitch (similar to Carra at Liverpool), perhaps giving the armband to Given will persuade him to stay out of retirement for as long as possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think it should be taken off Keane because he takes too much stick on account on being captain. Granted somes times it's deserving but a lot of it is excessive an imo only because he's the captain.

The captaincy should always be given to someone who is more or less guaranteed to play the full 90 mins if fit. And as far as we're concerned that'd only be Dunne or Given and as Dunne is already the captain of his club and an outfield player he'd get my vote. (not that my vote counts or anything, but if it did that's who I'd go for!)

Wow, this is developing into the silliest thread I've ever seen on this forum. And that's saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Dunne has been tipped to be captain according to the rumours. You read it here first.

Unless you read the Sunday World today. As I did.

In which case, you didnt read it here first. But hey, tabloids are never wrong :rolleyes:

Positive in my view. Robbie has to stop being guaranteed his game tbh, it has cost us dear already.

btw, what is this craic re what Dunne got up to in his youth, I didnt hear of it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Also Sven has apparently been telling Trap that Dunne is the best centre half in the premiership. :) I bet Dunne is in the team of the season this year. I remember he got Sky's motm one year in Old Trafford, Anfield, Highbury and Stamford Bridge. Obviously he didn't get the one against Chelsea this year but has probably been motm in the other 3.

shane86 wrote: »
    Dunne has been tipped to be captain according to the rumours. You read it here first.

Unless you read the Sunday World today. As I did.

In which case, you didnt read it here first. But hey, tabloids are never wrong :rolleyes:

Positive in my view. Robbie has to stop being guaranteed his game tbh, it has cost us dear already....

i completely agree with this, he's gotten complacent and just underperforms because of it! dunne should rightfully be captain, strikers cant see the game unfold fully, defenders can!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If he was complacent he'd maybe get a bit lazy, wouldn't feel under pressure as much. The opposite is the case for Keane.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    If he was complacent he'd maybe get a bit lazy, wouldn't feel under pressure as much. The opposite is the case for Keane.

how so? he is lazy, the chap looks like the hamburgler (hah sorry couldnt help it) he doesnt chase the ball ....like he does at spurs even, and when he has his game week in week out he doesnt feel under pressure and therefor becomes complacent!

shane86 wrote: »
    btw, what is this craic re what Dunne got up to in his youth, I didnt hear of it myself.

He was a little too fond of his alcoholic beverages. Came to training still half cut more than once. Himself, Nick Weaver and Jim Whitley were apparently notorious around Manchester's party scene at the time. Whitley eventually got sacked cause he went too far and he was on Sky recently talking about his battle with alcohol. Dunne copped on just in time or he would have ended up on the scrap heap as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I don't know what difference either it wouls make if dunne was made captain. Captaincy should be for those who strive to impress the manager so they may gain the armband. Dunne doesn't need to strive to impress the manager he is great already. An immense leader and a massive presence on the field for ireland and man city. Dunne is indeed very similiar to Carra at liverpool in the sense that he automatically leads even without the armband. It is imo very hard to pick a captain leaving dunne aside. I have always thought that keane was over-rated although in his defence he is having a fine season this year.There is no point giving it to Shay just to keep him away from retiring. Give it to a budding young decent prospect in the team that in time the team will grow to respect and look to in the future. We are building for the future at this stage. Give it to a player like mcGeady although it is hard to determine if he possesses the quality to be a captain. It is a toughie alrite. Suppose it will have to be dunne if we are going for experience...but i would prefer a younger captain for the years to come...

stick-dan wrote: »
    I don't know what difference either it wouls make if dunne was made captain. Captaincy should be for those who strive to impress the manager so they may gain the armband. Dunne doesn't need to strive to impress the manager he is great already. An immense leader and a massive presence on the field for ireland and man city. Dunne is indeed very similiar to Carra at liverpool in the sense that he automatically leads even without the armband. It is imo very hard to pick a captain leaving dunne aside. I have always thought that keane was over-rated although in his defence he is having a fine season this year.There is no point giving it to Shay just to keep him away from retiring. Give it to a budding young decent prospect in the team that in time the team will grow to respect and look to in the future. We are building for the future at this stage. Give it to a player like mcGeady although it is hard to determine if he possesses the quality to be a captain. It is a toughie alrite. Suppose it will have to be dunne if we are going for experience...but i would prefer a younger captain for the years to come...

Imagine the uproar amongst the armchairs if that happened. The guy has nothing (at the moment) to suggest he should be given an armband. He's a winger, 21, not very experienced etc. Sure why not give it to Stephen Ireland?

No it has to go to someone who has been around for a long time and knows what it's like to lead a team, especially a struggling one.

• Advertisement

but young captains are not always a bad thing. I only used mcgeady as an example i know he is not captain material i just couldnt think of a young irish player who is....i just think we need a fresh approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that's one of the most illogical posts i've seen on this forum...
    i don't think you understand what being a captain involves...

nigel reo coker was only 21 and he was captain of west ham...he led them to promotion and also to the FA CUP final. youth and captaincy are not unheard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

nigel reo coker was only 21 and he was captain of west ham...he led them to promotion and also to the FA CUP final. youth and captaincy are not unheard of.

but you don't captaincy to someone BECAUSE they are young. correlation does not equal causation.

but i never said hand it to mcgeady because he was young i clearly said he doesnt have the quality to be captain if you reread my post:D

i am sorry if my point went astrue. I would prefer to see a long term captain is all. I dont like keane as captain and dunne doesn't need the armband he is too good already.Maybe that clears my point up a bit.

Yes and Southgate was in a similar position at Palace around 1994. It definitely does happen. However, there is no young player playing in a prime position that you could tout as a captain for Ireland. You go with the best you have, no matter what their age. Our best is Dunne.

yeah i do agree you go with the best i was just saying dunne is as influential as a captain without needing the armband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Dunne for captain. No doubts....Its as obvious as the fact that Kevin Kilbane is rubbish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Dunne for captain. No doubts....Its as obvious as the fact that Kevin Kilbane is rubbish...

who would you rather at left back than kilbane?

cm2000 wrote: »
    who would you rather at left back than kilbane?

I'd rather three at the back. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement