Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunne for captain?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Dunne for captain. No doubts....Its as obvious as the fact that Kevin Kilbane is rubbish...

*yawn*

He isnt Ronaldo. He isnt Titus Bramble neither.

What he is is a guy who rescued 4 valuable points for us by way of goals against the Czechs and San Marino. Goals that prevented us slipping to 4th seeders or even worse.

**** El Tel, it seems Sven is already helping Trappa re build our team :D Thank the lord for post WC 2006 English managerial xenophobia, otherwise he might still be in the job and couldnt give a toss about Stephen Ireland and Dunne.

Sven to take over when the 76 year old Trappa retires in 2016 with two European champ cups and two apperances in the latter stages of the WC under his belt :D:D Its actually quite odd that Sven actively want his players playing internationally. Yes, it boosts their profile, and potentially their worth on the transfer market, but the likes of Wenger and Fergie often give the impression theyd sooner their players didnt play internationals (friendlies at least). Sven seems to actively want Dunne and Ireland playing against Serbia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

cm2000 wrote: »
    who would you rather at left back than kilbane?

My love for that man started out as being a touch sarcastic and ironic, but the more I see him the more I actually respect the guy. If only the more talented players on the squad had the passion and commitment he has, then maybe some of them would be challenging him for the position of most experienced and most capped player in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    My love for that man started out as being a touch sarcastic and ironic, but the more I see him the more I actually respect the guy. If only the more talented players on the squad had the passion and commitment he has, then maybe some of them would be challenging him for the position of most experienced and most capped player in the squad.
    Here here! It's getting a tad boring at this stage listening to people constantly taking the p1ss out of a Kilbane. He's certainly no Zidane but show me another player in the current squad that has given more commitment and passion the Irish team.

People are too quick to give him stick but also too quick to say that modern players lack loyalty and commitment. IMO he has been fantastic servant to his country.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Here here! It's getting a tad boring at this stage listening to people constantly taking the p1ss out of a Kilbane. He's certainly no Zidane but show me another player in the current squad that has given more commitment and passion the Irish team.

People are too quick to give him stick but also too quick to say that modern players lack loyalty and commitment. IMO he has been fantastic servant to his country.

Key words there too. He sings the anthem and is as Irish as any player in the squad. I read an interview with him in the Evertonian magazine in his Goodison days (wasn't specifically about Ireland or anything like that) where he was saying how he never felt English and always wore an Ireland jersey growing up. It could have been made to sound like cliched stuff but came across as 100% genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He is definitely an Irish legend alright and a valued member of the squad BUT I don't htink he's an effective left back. Maybe a back three of Dunne, O'Shea and A N Other (Finnan) with Kilbane as a left wing back so he has that bit of cover. Plus most of our best players are midfielders so why not accomodate an extra one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Do you know when you're walking down the street and you can't whipe a smile off your face? That's Kilbane 24/7. :) I love this short clip from before the Brazil match. Everyone's all normal and serious while the usual crazy funny thoughts are going through Kilbane's head. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1SYuFd2Ksw

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He is definitely an Irish legend alright and a valued member of the squad BUT I don't htink he's an effective left back. Maybe a back three of Dunne, O'Shea and A N Other (Finnan) with Kilbane as a left wing back so he has that bit of cover. Plus most of our best players are midfielders so why not accomodate an extra one?

Don't think there is much chance of Trapattoni playing three at the back. He'll go 4-2-3-1 most of the time, if the past is anything to go by. I can't see Kilbane threatening for a place on the wing, and he has done reasonably well at the back so far. He has certainly done well enough to convince me that he deserves a shot. I can't really see much of an alternative, considering that I'd play O'Shea at the back with Dunne, and Kelly right back. Unless Andy O'Brien comes back that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Don't think there is much chance of Trapattoni playing three at the back. He'll go 4-2-3-1 most of the time, if the past is anything to go by. I can't see Kilbane threatening for a place on the wing, and he has done reasonably well at the back so far. He has certainly done well enough to convince me that he deserves a shot. I can't really see much of an alternative, considering that I'd play O'Shea at the back with Dunne, and Kelly right back. Unless Andy O'Brien comes back that is.

Yeah i agree that those will probably be Trap's tactics alright, it's just a shame we're so short on defenders at the moment. I suppose Kilbane at left back is a better option than McShane at centre half so I'm happy to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

McShane-Dunne for me is a very good partnership imo. Poor McShane's getting a very raw deal. Andy O'Brien had nothnig less than a top class partnership with Cunningham. Put him beside O'Shea and he looks absolutely terrible. The difference is O'Brien shouldn't have to rely on someone to move him into the right positions. McShane is still very young and like a lot of centre halves that age needs an experienced guy beside him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Everyone's all normal and serious while the usual crazy funny thoughts are going through Kilbane's head. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1SYuFd2Ksw
    He was probably thinking about the time his shorts fell down! :D

The other thing about Kilbane is that he can be played in several positions so as a utility player he should always be in the squad. He's also got a wealth of experience.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    McShane-Dunne for me is a very good partnership imo. Poor McShane's getting a very raw deal. Andy O'Brien had nothnig less than a top class partnership with Cunningham. Put him beside O'Shea and he looks absolutely terrible. The difference is O'Brien shouldn't have to rely on someone to move him into the right positions. McShane is still very young and like a lot of centre halves that age needs an experienced guy beside him.
    I agree, the O'Brien/Cunnigham partnership was class. Their clean sheet record was actually quite surprising. I think in time McShane would come good with Dunne as his partner. What he lacks in pace and experience would certainly be made up by Dunne.

Advertisement