Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to sell old/valuable books

Options
  • 13-02-2008 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I have a load of old books and magazines from my attic from maybe 20/30 years ago. Before I hand some of them on to the charity shop I want to make sure none of them are valuable. Theres some rare ones there I think like complete sets and that.
    I want to select a few I think might be rare and go to a valuer or book antiquarian but how can I be sure they wont rip me off by telling me theyre arent that valuable when they are... There may be nothing valuable there but I want to be sure. Im in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I have a little experience here as I shifted a lot of stuff out of an attic a couple of years ago.

The only way to be sure is to collect up the ones you think are valuable and do a search online for them , highly sought after ones will always show up very quickly on an online search.

Keep in mind the condition of the books magazines / theyve been in an attic , any discoloration /yellowing , tearing , water or damp damage will wipe huge value of any that were valuable. Especially when it comes to magazines.

Valuable copies of magazines typically change hands in plastic baggies and the top price grabbers look almost new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I would start with the first editions. You could always email the list to a reputable dealers to get a valuation. Naughtons in Dun Laoghaire may be able to help.

Advertisement