Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Write off or fix myself?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Ok, so I had a run in with a pole sticking out from a railing in my girlfriends apartment block the other night. I wrecked the left tail lamp and the surrounding body of the lamp . Its a mazda 323 00 reg , when I rang quinn they gave me a garage to go to , went to the garage today and he said that it was crashed there before and it will just be a write off as he qouted close to 2000 to get it fixed and its only valued at 3000. I've only been driving a few weeks so should I
    (a) Claim it on my insurance, loosing my no claims bonus and having my premium go up but getting about 2800 for the car.

(b) Get my friend to fix the panel (about 300-500 euro) and buy the lamp myself (80 euro) . and then (b.1) keep the car or (b.2) sell the car .

What does the wisdom of the boards think.
    ( the nct is up next month , so any work needs to be good enough to pass)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Sell it on the cheap with the damage, and buy a new car, no point claiming on your policy once no other party was in the accident..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

Given the prices of the same model and age I could prob get 3-3500 for it after its fixed.
    I dont think I'll go to the insurance either way, but what i
    I'm not sure about is if I should keep the car after its fixed or sell it?
    I like the car and would prob buy the same model with more features (elec windows/sunroof etc ) if I was to buy a newer car.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a car for about 3000-3500
    Thanks in advance for any advice btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If this guy is quoting €2k for the repairs, maybe the damage is a lot worse than just the panel and the light?

Advertisement