Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hangar 9 Piper J-3 Cub Power 46 ARF ?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about buying this plane Piper J3 Cub.
    It comes with installed E-Flite Power 46 motor (equivalent to .46 nitro engine) .
    I wonder if this power will be enough to keep this plane airborne and, most importantly, if it can handle extra pound of weight (NiMH batteries) ...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hi Dennis,
    Well, that will fly.. Like a Piper with a 46, but not with lots of power to spare !
    NI-MH will be fine, but if I was you, I will go Lipos straight away ! :rolleyes:
    You can now find 4 or 5 cells battery at good reasonable prices these days ! :)

Well worth to invest in Lipos !

And here is the review of the IC version :
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544809

And here, the same, but with a BL power 60 on 6s2p lipos...
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547559

Enjoy ! :p

Fred

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I agree with Fred on the power issues Dennis.
    An 80 inch plane on 12 cells or 4S lipo .... not really ... sure it would be able to stay in the air and limp around, but at takeoff and landing it would be entirely under the wind's control - not yours. Ok in Arizona maybe, definitely no good here.
    On 16 cells (heavy) or 5S it would be OK, but underpowered for Irish conditions, maybe ok in UK.
    On 18-20 cells (very heavy) or 6S you got a flier. Power. Control. Will do what you want the way you want it.
    but watch the budget! Thats a lot of batteries, and you're about to find out why many "big plane folks" choose glowfuel engines instead of electric.

err .... looking at this setup .. I assume you can fly already. :)
    Just that it's a lotta cash to mash up on the 1st day! Learner planes don't cost so much as this.

Well, I will disagree on one thing here with you Norman :p

If you stay in the 6S (A 6S2P is only 2 3cells lipos put together...) lipos range and under, that don't cost much than an IC version (ok, over 6S, you start to feel the pain, especialy your credit card ! :D)
    And in a long term, that's even cheaper to run (just see the cost of a gallon of petrol...)

But that is true that the first investment is big... It's like buying your Nitro fuel for the year in one go... :rolleyes:

But that is true that the first investment is big... It's like buying your Nitro fuel for the year in one go... :rolleyes:

Well yes. That's what I mean. ... I would only do it in electric myself.

The piston engine large plane seems cheaper when initially buying the gear. So most newcomers choose liquid fuel for large models. Therefore they have a pay as you go basis fuel cost for nitro fuel, whereas a leccie flier has a paid up front fuel cost for rechargeable batteries.

What swings electric for me is the clean oilfree models, carseats, clothes, hands, no need for bottle of detergent and wipe rags in toolbox, etc :D

A couple of years back I had an ARF glowfuel J3 Cub which was designed for glowfuel with an OS engine, but I fitted electric and batteries instead. It behaved rather like the glow version would have done if it had a 4-stroke fitted instead of a 2-stroke. It was a nice flier. I am sure the 80" Cub would be lovely whichever way it's done.

Totally right ! Put all the gears you just need to get the thing fly, beside the plane and the radio, and at the end, this is not that cheap !

And forgot about the oil, smell, noize and so on ! :p

The future is electric ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

coolwings wrote: »

What swings electric for me is the clean oilfree models, carseats, clothes, hands, no need for bottle of detergent and wipe rags in toolbox, etc :D

Thanks folks for having conversation here :)

collwings, I have same reasons, you mentioned, to stay 'electric' .

Looks like, big purchase will be waiting till next xmas :(
    will buy LiPo stuff this season for my smaller planes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 superflyguy321

Hi can anyone tell me where in Ireland I can get Radio controlled planes at reasonable prices. I have bought from China many times and Enlish is good for sale but becomes poor after sale. So really I would prefer to buy at home for that reason. I just find it mucho expensive here, but I suppose thats the price you pay for back up, Isnt it? All suggestions welcome, ta.

Have you read this thread so far? The posts contain the answer to your question.

Also ... read the General Guide Thread as it contains many helpful suggestions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

Hi can anyone tell me where in Ireland I can get Radio controlled planes at reasonable prices.
    coolwings wrote: »
    Have you read this thread so far? The posts contain the answer to your question.
    OK, I'll bite, where in this thread, does it mention places where someone can get r/c planes at reasonable prices?
    r011in

PS Aha, I found what happened! This question was also posted elsewhere and you're answering it here. Now I understand.

Advertisement