Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost it!

• 13-02-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey... Im new to boards but here goes..... im a 26 year old living in Co. Kildare, I spent my summers in pony camp etc when i was a kid, until i was 8 or 9 and loved every min of it... anyways my brother recently bought a pony she's 14 2h (4yrs old) and I thought I wouldnt have a problem riding her.. but have just realised that I have lost all my confidence! I know shes quite young for an inexperienced rider but im totally in love with her! and would love to build back up my confidence, im a bit embarassed to do novice lessions at my age so my question is (finally) does anyone know of a good riding school in the Naas area that are good with adult lessons?? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Go to novice lessons, get over your embarressment.

I learned to cowboy way, i took the falls and turned out a very good rider.

Confidence comes with familarity, i suggest you get the lessons :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JoKing1

Haha the cowboy way... i love it... pretty sore tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

Go for it!!! Think you will find plenty of adults taking lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of adults taking lessons these days :D

I know we have waiting lists for all our evening lessons;
    Go for it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JoKing1

Ok Ok.... I'll just have 2 get over the embarrassment n go 4 it... just have a pic in my head of me n a crowd of 5 year olds in an arena lol.. Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its a good idea to take lessons from the point of view of the pony's welfare as well as your own. They need strong and confident riders at that age, and I personally wouldnt recommend the cowboy approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I agree with fits, youngsters need experienced riders to teach them, generally novice horse + novice rider = disaster. You'd be much better off learning on a schoolmaster/mistress under the instruction of a good teacher, I'm sure there will be other adults, maybe choose to go during the week if you want to avoid being in a class with kids? Good luck! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

fits wrote: »
    Its a good idea to take lessons from the point of view of the pony's welfare as well as your own. They need strong and confident riders at that age, and I personally wouldnt recommend the cowboy approach.

All our houses were broken the normal way..

I refer to being on the back of a horse around the same time as i could walk :D

i refer to "the cowboy way" as just being on horses all my life up into my early 20's, sometimes spending 8 hours a day riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

snyper wrote: »
    All our houses were broken the normal way..

I refer to being on the back of a horse around the same time as i could walk :D

i refer to "the cowboy way" as just being on horses all my life up into my early 20's, sometimes spending 8 hours a day riding.

I was envisaging rodeo shows :D

cool enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

OP, you asked about schools suitable for adults near Naas. As an older adult I had no problems starting in Kill. There are plenty of lessons for adults of varying abilities from Tue to Sun. There will be kids around but never in an adult lesson. I cant say if its the best or worst school, but I enjoy it. Havent done group lessons anywhere else.

I've been to Abbeylands, Clane a few times and its got a good atmosphere, helpful owners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement