Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Painting The bottom half of a Golf bumper

Options
  • 13-02-2008 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Hi was wondering if it is possible to paint this? Have been told I may need to buy a new black part to have it painted. It will be a brand new golf so can't see why I would have to buy a new part.

Also anyone any idea of the cost of this?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Most people get the dealer to spray it at no extra cost if the car is brand new. Cost should be no more than 200e. If so your being robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Thanks local body shop was saying 550 to take it off and spray it also that I would have to get a new panel at a cost of 150. Nearly laughed down the phone.

Said that if he paints the one on the car that it is more likely to chip as the paint won't stick properly to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

alexmcred wrote: »
    Said that if he paints the one on the car that it is more likely to chip as the paint won't stick properly to it.
    It's going to chip anyway, given where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's the bottom half of a back bumper if it's a Golf.

Those prices are crazy btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Don't go near that bodyshop then. You can't get primed golf rear valances so a new part makes no difference. They just have to use a special primer when working with textured black plastics such as door handles. A good bodyshop will have no problem. 200 max I would say. Also its easy enough to remove the rear valance and do it. Ask the dealers to get it done on the new car maybe. To be honest though it doesn't look good painting the standard back. Depending which golf you have ie one with showing exhaust such as the gt 170, then like me you should buy the gti rear which has a groove on it and get it part colour coded. Similar to how the rear is done on the r32.

• Advertisement

I disagree, I think they look good painted!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I disagree, I think they look good painted!
    I think it makes the rear look too big and needs to be broken up. I wonder is that why VW gave the golfs the ugly black valance? Either way it will be better than standard. It depends on the colour too I suppose. Dark colours it will suit but not so sure about silver. Red should be nice too. I can't wait to get mine done.

Have a look over on uk-mkvs.net for some photos of painted rears. Theres less painting to be done on the gti rear so maybe a cost of 150 for part colour-coding and then 150 for the rear as you said before. 300 seems a good price for it?

It's the 140 Gt I'm getting so I just want the front center bit to be black. I like the fact that the tailpipes are hidden. The guy reckons that the black part that is already on the car needs to be replaced with a part for the paint to adhere better to.

I think he's wrong as long as you can alter the surface to take the paint.

I have already gotten the dealer to install a parrot 3200ls as part of the deal reckon I would be pushing it to get them to do the bumper as well.

I can't see why the surface won't take the paint if prepared correctly.

alexmcred wrote: »
    It's the 140 Gt I'm getting so I just want the front center bit to be black. I like the fact that the tailpipes are hidden. The guy reckons that the black part that is already on the car needs to be replaced with a part for the paint to adhere better to.

I think he's wrong as long as you can alter the surface to take the paint.

I have already gotten the dealer to install a parrot 3200ls as part of the deal reckon I would be pushing it to get them to do the bumper as well.

You say the front bit? I take it you mean you bought the older GT and not the Gt sport which had the centre bar(number plate region) colour coded and not black? You're also doing the rear.. there is no other surface you can buy for the rear and yes it can be done. Move onto another bodyshop if they're not capable to do a simple colour coding job. Try the official VW bodykit.. the rear is nice. Check it here.
    They are expensive though!

How do you find the 140? I just bought a 170 and love it!

• Advertisement

Sorry no I will be taking delivery at the start of next month can't wait. No She will have the black center bumper so I want to color code the back valance so the front center will stand out all the more.

Ah ok sorry I get you now. Have a look at this anyway http://uk-mkvs.net/forums/2/1173927/ShowThread.aspx#1173927
    Just a thought:D

Thats the rear I'll be fitting to mine soon. Again its just the normal gti rear part colour coded. He fitted the 170 exhaust to his 140 though. Doubt you'll go down this route but its an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

I don't see what the problem with painting the bit that comes with the car is.

I had a new grill, rear valance and fog light covers painted on my TT last week. They were just black plastic bits as standard. Paid 400 for the whole job. And the valance and fogs were on the car 8 months. So definitely no need to buy a new black part.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

kluivert wrote: »
    Most people get the dealer to spray it at no extra cost if the car is brand new. Cost should be no more than 200e. If so your being robbed.

In 2005, I was going to buy a new Golf, 1.6 with Sport Pack (couldn't afford a GTI :() and in a certain VW dealership in North County Dublin near the M1 and a Big B&Q and Havey Norman and not too far from Dublin Airport (which will remain nameless ;)) the sales guy refused point blank to get the lower part sprayed for me as "it would invalidate the warranty as it's a non-standard modification".

I mean, a piece of black plastic, being sprayed silver to match the rest of the car!?

Have you ever heard something so stupid!?!? I ended up leaving, going a mile down the road to an Opel Dealer and bought an Astra instead.

That "KNOB" in the VW Dealer made me lose all faith. I wonder if I put an air freshener in would that invalidate the warranty!?

:)

Advertisement