Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Parts: Opinions Please!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Your blowing half your budget on that GT.yer mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He wants a class card for the gaming!

does he know thats a micro mobo?
    and its not pci-express 2.0?

Erm.. he does now i guess! his tower is only a mid size one, i don't think it'll take an ATX mobo

upgrading usually works out costing more than you think.

You order a mobo cpu etc and you have a video card in mind.Next thing you know you need a better PSU and some bits and bobs and VOILA!Its €600!

TBH for €450 he's better off going to Aldi or something and buying one of their special offers.And i'm not taking the piss there.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what kind of monitor is this going to be hooked up to?

Will you be doing any overclocking?

Also i'd have a look on adverts.ie first. You could pick up a lot of that stuff second hand and save a packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

You need a good solid power supply for the 8800gt

Get a better motherboard that supports pci-e 2.0

L31mr0d wrote: »
    what kind of monitor is this going to be hooked up to?

Will you be doing any overclocking?

Also i'd have a look on adverts.ie first. You could pick up a lot of that stuff second hand and save a packet.

Monitor - 2 regular 17inch

Overclocking - no

What is considered a solid PSU? he has a decent 400/450 watt i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks OK to me - if it's only a 17" monitor, save some cash and go with a 384mb 8800GS or even a 256mb 8800GT. Or, on the Ati side, HD3850.

Long as his PSU is decent 400-500w is sufficient, as for the cost, not overly expensive, considering you are replacing the entire core of the PC?

You don't need a mobo that supports pci-e 2.0. If you're sure it'll only take mAtx then by all means but if it's an Atx case, then it's better to go for a full size mobo - much more room for potential upgrades.
    TBH for €450 he's better off going to Aldi or something and buying one of their special offers.And i'm not taking the piss there.

What's that meant to mean? Instead of upgrading to Core 2, solid graphics card and a better mobo/ram combo, he's supposed to go out and buy some low end crap that's probably the same as the machine in question prior to upgrading?

You don't need a mobo that supports pci-e 2.0. If you're sure it'll only take mAtx then by all means but if it's an Atx case, then it's better to go for a full size mobo - much more room for potential upgrades.

Nice one man, I'm pretty sure it'll only hold m-atx, he won't need any more upgrade slots so a big board probably isn't necessary Can you only get pci express 2.0 on atx?

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

What's that meant to mean? Instead of upgrading to Core 2, solid graphics card and a better mobo/ram combo, he's supposed to go out and buy some low end crap that's probably the same as the machine in question prior to upgrading?

Low end crap?Do your homework pal.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_4958.htm

i'm offering good advice not confrontation

Actually built by Komplett

http://www.computerbild.de/videos/Video-zum-Test-Aldi-PC-Medion-Akoya-MD8830_2254133.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He's upgrading, I fail to see why you recommend to him an entire PC that's totally inferior to the parts he had already chosen. That costs way more then the OP wanted to spend and is vastly inferior to the upgrade path the OP originally choose - so again, why would he choose it?

It doesn't matter if Bill gates built it himself, it's nowhere near as good as the hardware originally picked out by the OP. And that's all that matters. For someone who posts so regularly here, I'm a bit stumped that your advice to someone looking to upgrade to a kick ass gaming set up with a budget of 450 is to buy a low end multimedia PC for 599. Because that's just what you've done...what would you do if someone came in looking for a graphics card for 100 euro? Recommend them a second hand Pentium 3? :D

Advertisement