Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a full watercooling setup for my PC

Options
  • 13-02-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok, i'm thinking I won't be upgrading my sig rig anytime soon, so I want to silence it.

But I have no experience with watercooling and whats needed. So could someone recommend all the components i'll need and where I can get them from (preferable all from the same e-tailer to save on shipping)

I'm going to want to cool my Quad, NB, SB, 2x8800GTX's and possible my HDD's. For fans i'll be running some 800rpm S-Flexs (maybe 1200rpm but on a controller)

I'm guessing i'll need a triple rad for this also, which will also mean i'll need another case to house it *sigh* so a recommendation on a good large case that could house a complete watercooling setup as well as all my HDD's would be appreciated.

Budget? ... lets say €500 for the watercooling gear not including the case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im in a similar boat as yoruself. I used to watercool but have lost touch in the last while. So ill be following this closly to look for ideas. I do know though, that the silverstone tj-07 and the tj-09 are excellent cases to watercool with. Lots of room and easy to hide the cables without havign to butcher your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Oh I will be reading akimbo to this thread. Just looking for advice on which brands to go for, what kind of tubing I need. What has worked for people here.... etc

Ok lets start with logistics. Will a triple rad with 3 800rpm fans be enough to cool all the components I listed above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Ok heres some eye candy shops:

These are three Ive used in the past two weeks.

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/ EXCELLENT (but awaiting a lot of stock) email before you buy
    http://www.over-clock.co.uk/acatalog/ HAVENT ORDERED FROM THEM
    http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php RAPIDO DELIVERY

And of course no post is right without mentioning Petra's!

Whats a good brand to go for for the different blocks I need and what kind of thickness of tubing should I get?

Do you think I should set up 2 different loops? Like have 2xdouble rads, one cooling the 2x8800GTX's and the other cooling the rest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

yeah id say dual loop keeping one for the graphics card's and the other for everything else.
    what case is it l31mr0d?
    im also looking to wc my rig and will watch this closely :)

all i know about brands is "friends dont let friends buy thermaltake"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Lmrd for cooling ur 2xgfx,cpu(hdd's are a waste btw , why not nb ?)you are going to need a dual loop are a loop in serise (2 rads and maby 2 pumps),

for cases my case is a great case i you get rid of the front hhd bay you can fit a pa120.3 and pa120.2 which is all you need.

for parts,

2xEK full block for ur gfx
    EK block for Nb
    D-teck fusion or Ek supream for cooling cpu
    2xddc 3.2 18w (powerfull and quitesmall)
    2xEk RES or swiftech micro res or t line

for tubing 7/16 is good does not require clamps since it is quite tight on the barbs.

some other nice cases for a dual loop would be the tj-07 (antis case), lian li v2000

just have alook at the watercooling gallary on XS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i was jus lookin at water-cooling there a few days ago, havnt a clue about it but personaly id go for the thermaltake kandalf lcs n use that as the first stepping stone, its just too big for my liking. also, i was lookin at this big ass yoke, looks class, plus its also a kit, and ya can have an optional fan http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/watercooling/reserator1-v2

dont go near thermaltake they mix silver and copper,they allso use cheap parts,go for a custom loop,also that zalman tower is passive so it would just be par with air cooling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

be sure to update your build log when you start building it!

• Advertisement

here where u can mount the 2nd rad ,

DSCN2322.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

i love those thermochill pa rads, i'm stuck with a stupid aquacomputer dual rad right now i really need to change my setup. I'm thinking for a dual loop getting two of these cause they're neat and save a bit of space and hassle.

was board so said i make ya a good build :)

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop

cpu block,2 gfx blocks,nb block,2 res's

EK-Supreme - Plexi (universal socket) EK-Supreme - Plexi (universal socket)
    - Fittings 1/2" ID
    49.95EUR (11.970,02Sit)

EK-FC8800 GTX/Ultra EK-FC8800 GTX/Ultra
    - Fittings 1/2" ID
    160.24EUR (38.400,00Sit)

EK-NB EVGA 680i Acetal EK-NB EVGA 680i Acetal
    - Fittings 1/2" ID
    33.95EUR (8.135,95Sit)

EK-Multioption RES 250 rev.2 EK-Multioption RES 250 rev.2
    - Fittings 1/2" ID
    79.89EUR (19.146,00Sit)
    Sub-Total: 324.04EUR (77.651,97Sit)

2x360 mcr rads

http://www.specialtech.co.uk
    Swiftech MCR320QPK 3 x 120mm Radiator Swiftech MCR320QPK 3 x 120mm Radiator
    total:114

2xddc/top

http://www.petrastechshop.com/

2x Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo

total:

so

total :
    ---

now this is all top parts/try and shop around :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

any news on the build l3imrod?

yeah sorry about the delay, and cheers awhir for the recommendations. Looks like I might be getting a car in the next few months so thats going to take priority for now. I'm going to continue reading around about watercooling and keeping an eye on Anti's build log ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

OK L3imrod, it just so happens I have just lashed out on my new watercooled rig just this week. I usually upgrade my PC every 12months or so, but due to the lack of any real progress on the Graphics and CPU front over the last roughly 12months I can spend my budget on a new case and custom watercooling setup.

There's a number of different MMods cases, from ones for 2 systems in one box, 2 watercooling loops etc etc. As I am just going to have a Quad and 1 GPU (no SLI) I have decided with this pump and the 1/2" tubing I don't need 2 loops. One of the other cases allows for 1 triple rad loop, and 1 single rad loop, should that suit your requirements more.

This is what I have gone for.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p3WWkKSXp93AIjXGokV9OIQ

I have always wanted a mmods case, so now is the time to get one. I am planning on keeping it along with the pump, rad, radiator etc. for the next number of years.

Copypasta of ther excel sheet below

Grouping Part Description From Ref# Availability Price

CASE: Mountain Mods U2-UFO Horizon over-clock 144 pre-order £315.00
    Fan/HDD Rack over-clock 267 stock £9.39
    Blanking Plate aqua-pcs na stock £8.49

H2O COOLING: Thermochill PA120.3 Tripple RAD no fits aqua-pcs na stock £47.50
    Thermochill PS120.3 RAD Shroud aqua-pcs na stock £9.99
    12V Laing D5 Pump 1/2" over-clock 397 stock £57.87
    Swiftech Apogee GTX Extreme CPU block 1/2" specialtech na stock £41.29
    Swiftech Stealth 8800 series GPU block 1/4" aqua-pcs na stock £54.00
    EK-NB North Bridge EVGA 680i block 1/2" no fits aqua-pcs na stock £19.10
    EK NF4 Rev 1.1 for South Bridge 1/2" over-clock 78 stock £19.98
    2 x EK Mosfet 680i 1/2" over-clock 500 stock £44.76
    EK Multi-Option Res400 Rev2 Reservoir 1/2" over-clock 174 stock £28.78
    Koolance Drain Valve no fits aqua-pcs na stock £7.50
    2 x 3/8" BSP to 1/2" Barb - Nickel (for RAD) aqua-pcs na stock £3.90
    4 x 1/4" BSP to 1/2" barb (for GPU & Drain) over-clock 22 stock £4.62
    12 x O-CuK 1/2" ID Steel Reinforced PVC Tubing 1ft over-clock 361 stock £12.60
    20 x 10mm to 16mm Worm Drive Clips over-clock 6 stock £10.00
    2 x Fesser One UV Black Coolant 1Ltr specialtech na stock £13.96

FAN COOLING: 8 x SilenX Fan Ixtrema Pro Red LED fans specialtech na stock £122.40
    8 x AC Ryan Meshx Fan Guards 120mm specialtech na stock £15.36
    Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Fan Controller Black specialtech na stock £18.84

COSMETICS: Alphacool LCD Display 240x128 Black Scan LN15462 stock £70.49
    AC Ryan TWIN10 CCFL 2 x 10cm Red catode light specialtech na stock £53.49
    Akasa Cable Management Kit specialtech na stock £4.56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Inquitus wrote: »
    OK L3imrod, it just so happens I have just lashed out on my new watercooled rig just this week. I usually upgrade my PC every 12months or so, but due to the lack of any real progress on the Graphics and CPU front over the last roughly 12months I can spend my budget on a new case and custom watercooling setup.

There's a number of different MMods cases, from ones for 2 systems in one box, 2 watercooling loops etc etc. As I am just going to have a Quad and 1 GPU (no SLI) I have decided with this pump and the 1/2" tubing I don't need 2 loops. One of the other cases allows for 1 triple rad loop, and 1 single rad loop, should that suit your requirements more.

This is what I have gone for.

my whole family would linch me if i even concidered buying something like that lot!
    your gonna have some sweet rig when its finished!

oh AND DONT FORGET THE WORK LOG!!!

sorry for the bump but i'm back into getting a watercool setup together now. I installed a second 8800GTX into my P180 and the noise is doing my head in, also the overclocked RAM, Quad, 4xHDD's, 2x8800GTX and the ridiculously hot SB mean I can't even put the side on the case anymore... which completely negates the whole point of owning a P180

So my first big question is about the case. I don't really mind height and length but width would be an issue in the space i'm working in so a MMods case would be out of the questions.

What would be the best case currently to house a triple and dual rad internally as well as everything already in my system?

i'll rep+ for all help given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TJ-09 FTW, loads of space, pullout motherboard tray and looks great, here

Mount triple rad on top like Awhir & other double rad in hdd bay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

TJ-07 is still better for cooling, and looks better when watercooled. Especially as you can hide all your rads down the bottom.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    TJ-09 FTW, loads of space, pullout motherboard tray and looks great, here

Mount triple rad on top like Awhir & other double rad in hdd bay

But is there bigger? I really don't mind however high or long it is, plus aesthethics mean nothing to me, I don't care if its fugly as long as its functional.

Anti wrote: »
    TJ-07 is still better for cooling, and looks better when watercooled. Especially as you can hide all your rads down the bottom.

Only the Tj-07 is smaller

What about the Lian-li's? Is there any of those I could add to my shortlist. I want at least 3 I can read up on to see which will be the best.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What about the Lian-li's? Is there any of those I could add to my shortlist. I want at least 3 I can read up on to see which will be the best.

there is too manny lian li'sto list :) so im only going to list 2

1.V2000 -lagre like the tj07 and has the bottom chamber which is handy for putting rads.

2.A70B -my case just look at my log and you will know all about it :)

awhir wrote: »
    there is too manny lian li'sto list :) so im only going to list 2

1.V2000 -lagre like the tj07 and has the bottom chamber which is handy for putting rads.

2.A70B -my case just look at my log and you will know all about it :)

what clinched it for you when you where choosing yours?

great air cooling , loads of space ,well built,options of fitting a 120.3 and 120.2 inside the case,looks cool,once moded with mobo holes very easy to run cables,able to fit 10 hard drives ,Its a Lian Li /!!!!! its a great case for watercooling as there is so much room to work with and you got so many options .

If i were you i would go for a 120.2 on the top (room for hdd's) and a 120.2 down in the botom hdd bay.

btw just look around the LC part of XS and you willl find the case you want.

I'm starting to edge towards the TJ07, although the V2000 does look tempting. I think the TJ07 has a lot more watercooling worklogs out there so it should be pretty simple to just follow them. Although so far, most of the logs seem to require the builder to own a metal working shop.. I have a dremel :( I don't want to have to double my budget buying tools for this thing.

Anyone have a workshed with some metal machining tools I could use? Preferably around dublin ;)

Anti had A tj-07 in his add on adverts, but the add appears to have vanished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm starting to edge towards the TJ07, although the V2000 does look tempting. I think the TJ07 has a lot more watercooling worklogs out there so it should be pretty simple to just follow them. Although so far, most of the logs seem to require the builder to own a metal working shop.. I have a dremel :( I don't want to have to double my budget buying tools for this thing.

Anyone have a workshed with some metal machining tools I could use? Preferably around dublin ;)

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=36

Check out there modding and powdercoatiog service.

Advertisement