Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a full watercooling setup for my PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok I think i've settled on the TJ07.

now I just need to choose everything else :rolleyes:

I'm going to be using 2 loops so should I also go for 1 pump and 1 res or 2 of each? I've seen some build with double rads that only have 1 pump and res? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

im building a new rig and using 2 loops.

im 50/50 on wether to use 2 pumps. but ive got 3 here so its not a huge issue. more of performance and noise is the problem.

but im probably gonna use 2 independant loops.
    2 pumps 2 res 2 rad's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

2 loops means that they will be seprate so yes you will need 2 pumps,2rads,2 res's/tlines,blocks.

you could go for a tripple and a dual rad as they fit nicly in the bottom of a Tj07

awhir wrote: »
    2 loops means that they will be seprate so yes you will need 2 pumps,2rads,2 res's/tlines,blocks.

you could go for a tripple and a dual rad as they fit nicly in the bottom of a Tj07

yeah... i'm going to start needing recommendations on where to house everything. I also want to have 4 HDDs in this thing. HDD space seems to be one of the biggest issues from the logs i've been reading. I was thinking about mounting the dual rad in the top then having the triple rad on its side in the bottom. It might leave enough room for a HDD caddy and the PSU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

A tripple rad will mean you will have to remove both hdd cages. but that dosent matter. Go to woodies/b&q and just buy some screws, rubber mounts and fit the hdds in the 5 1/4 bays. Or you can mount both hdds cages in the front. Ive seen this done on XS a few times now. Looks trick as **** if the screws are black/chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The V2000 is horrible imo, looks like a powermac that got beat with an ugly stick! :D

hmm... yeah i've seen some logs where the HDD cage was modified to fit in the 5" bays. I could also maybe get one of those MMods brackets that lets you mount the HDDs off the rad.

Ok, so how important is RAM, HDD and NB (SPP) cooling? I'd like to have no fans in this system except for the rad fans. Should I look into watercooling all of those also?

ram,hdd,nb(may be hotter on a nivida) cooling is unimportant none of these need good cooling to work.There just for bling bling

IF you are doing 2 loops go for Cpu-SB and Gfx-Gfx

you can just put a low profile copper sink on the NB or some of the stock heatpipes acctualy are just a cooler with the heatpipe lying over and a fancy cap covering the sink.

IF you are doing 2 loops go for Cpu-SB and Gfx-Gfx

So should I use the triple rad to cool the CPU and SB? and then use the dual rad for the gfx cards?

In regards to the reservoirs, should I just go for 2x5" bay reservoirs like these ones?

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=45

personaly i would go for a Ek res as they are the SEx.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i was warned away from those 5" bay resevoir's

i was warned away from those 5" bay resevoir's

where you given a reason why?

EDIT: From doing a bit more reading around I can't find anything bad being said about bay reservoirs. It would also save the headache of having to mount them somewhere in the middle of the case.

What do people think about these reservoir/pump combos?

http://www.xspc.biz/baypump750.php

How does this look for the layout of the first loop?

53984.jpg

L31mr0d wrote: »
    where you given a reason why?

EDIT: From doing a bit more reading around I can't find anything bad being said about bay reservoirs. It would also save the headache of having to mount them somewhere in the middle of the case.

What do people think about these reservoir/pump combos?

http://www.xspc.biz/baypump750.php

im drunk but 5" res are suppposed to leak and meant to be much harder to bllllleeed then EK resses,just post a froum on Es and they will tell ya ..

andyt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Hey L31mr0d what are you doing with that Tuniq Tower when you sort out your water cooling?

Auvers wrote: »
    Hey L31mr0d what are you doing with that Tuniq Tower when you sort out your water cooling?

This is probably going to be a long build. It will probably be near the end of summer before I have all the parts and am ready to start it. Also, I don't know if i'll be selling the Tuniq, i'd like to keep it as a backup should I have issues with the watercooling.

Also, how does my loop look? Is there a convention to what order things need to be in a watercooled loop?

RAD > CPU > RES > PUMP > SB > mosfet

im drunk but 5" res are suppposed to leak and meant to be much harder to bllllleeed then EK resses,just post a froum on Es and they will tell ya ..

andyt

yeah thats my only worry is leaking and cracking. But it would be so convenient to have the res mounted in the drive bay and it would also make refilling a cinch.

Also, what needs to be done when bleeding an EK res?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

make sure you put a drainage point at the bottom of each loop.

something like this is dead handy

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=608058

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Inquitus wrote: »
    make sure you put a drainage point at the bottom of each loop.

something like this is dead handy

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=608058

Yep handy alright but I wouldn't use that koolance one as it's made of aluminium, and we all know what happens with alu and copper. I use a Danger Den fillport for drain.

And like Andy said don't go for a bayres, they're hard to bleed and that xspc pump/res looks particularly bad IMO. The pump is, well frankly just crap. Stick with a DDC or D5 for pump, and I'd go with an EK res or a swiftech microres.

Why is all the koolance crap Aluminium :/ fools!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This is probably going to be a long build. It will probably be near the end of summer before I have all the parts and am ready to start it. Also, I don't know if i'll be selling the Tuniq, i'd like to keep it as a backup should I have issues with the watercooling.

Also, how does my loop look? Is there a convention to what order things need to be in a watercooled loop?

RAD > CPU > RES > PUMP > SB > mosfet

Personally i always go pump,rad,cpu,sb/nb/mofset,pump

The reason for this is you want to remove as much heat from the water as possible before it touches anything. And the pumps can add a few degrees to the water.

Anti wrote: »
    And the pumps can add a few degrees to the water.

... especially if the pump is actually submerged in the water :rolleyes: thanks for the loop advice anti, it makes more sense.

I think i'm going to go ahead with this loop anyway. I've been advised over on XS to go for some low restriction blocks.

I was thinking the Danger Den MC-TDX for the CPU? Does anyone know some good blocks for the chipset and the mosfet?

D-Tek Fuzion is low restriction and everyone seems to be using them... Havent seen many people with DD blocks lately

:)

kk go for the D-teck fusion its low flow on stock but if you will be bowing it and maby putting a nozzel :) (increases pressure for better contact but will increase restriction but depends on which size nozzle you use ) I would go for the Ek sb and a 2 EK mosfet's.

Tbh you will only having 3 blocks in the loop so restrtiction should not be a problem , i would reccomend you go for the a bowed - niozzeld fusion as you will gain around a 4c from stock.

go for a more powerfull pump like a d5 or a DDC.

Btw why are you not mounting the rad on the bottom you will most likey have to mod the top as Thermochill rads have diffrent fan spacing to other companies so i would not say it would match up on the spacing in the Tj07(all u would need to do is drill a few holes tho ! )

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151627

what do you mean by bowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

what do you mean by bowed?

it means that the copper is manufacturered to bend in the middle like a bow and applies increase pressure on the middle of the processor, you know the way they advise you to apply thermal paste to the middle of the core2duos. Make sure you get a back plate with them cause other wise the block will distort and bow your board which is not good.

oh and i advised royal against a bay res as my experience with them over the years has been nothing but crap, tube res or t-line all the way and t-line means no restriction. keep the maintenance easy and don't get too caught up in flow rates:D

requiem1 wrote: »
    oh and i advised royal against a bay res as my experience with them over the years has been nothing but crap, tube res or t-line all the way and t-line means no restriction. keep the maintenance easy and don't get too caught up in flow rates:D

ok so if I don't go for a bay res where should I mount 2 reservoirs and 2 pumps inside this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

get the xspc ddc pump top res combo (link) and that'll do the job and also everyone on xs will love you for it:) as for mounting them it depends on your hardware but i'm gathering you'll have a thermochill 120.3 in the bottom and you could squeeze them in their or possibly at the bottom of the bottom of the drive cage, have a look at this thread for inspiration.
    whats your final spec?

maby something like this http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=208 you can get some brakets for it or just mount it around the 51/2" bays.

bow:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142998&highlight=bowing

• Advertisement

requiem1 wrote: »
    get the xspc ddc pump top res combo (link) and that'll do the job and also everyone on xs will love you for it:)

well making XS happy is the last thing i'm looking to be doing. Whenever someone asks about how to silence their PC's its like "n00b!!! this is XS dude, fo sho, wez all ab00t the hurtz yo, if yo w4n7 silence head over to [H].. i.e. n00b centr4l... pwnd"

In regard to that xspc ddc pump top/w res, have you got any pictures of how that actually joins together?

Also, i'm looking for advice on tubing and barbs? Do I need to buy barbs seperate for every block or do they come with them? Also how do I work out if i'm going to need a joint for the tubing to stop kinks?

Also, from reading around the consensus seems to be to go with 1/2" barbs and use 3/8" tubing? Anyone done this before?

Advertisement