Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a full watercooling setup for my PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

L31mr0d wrote: »
    well making XS happy is the last thing i'm looking to be doing. Whenever someone asks about how to silence their PC's its like "n00b!!! this is XS dude, fo sho, wez all ab00t the hurtz yo, if yo w4n7 silence head over to [H].. i.e. n00b centr4l... pwnd"
    :D
    In regard to that xspc ddc pump top/w res, have you got any pictures of how that actually joins together?
    if you're looking for how to mount the res top on the ddc pump here's a pdf of how to do it
    Also, i'm looking for advice on tubing and barbs? Do I need to buy barbs seperate for every block or do they come with them? Also how do I work out if i'm going to need a joint for the tubing to stop kinks?

Also, from reading around the consensus seems to be to go with 1/2" barbs and use 3/8" tubing? Anyone done this before?

Yes most blocks you buy will have them as standard however always check, avoid xspc barbs and my personal favourites are ek's but dangerdens have never leaked on me and they have new barbs out
    image.php?type=D&id=348?1207649198742
    and for the sake of an extra $2 per foot get tygon. If you don't want to use hose clamps the consensus is 7/16" ID. I have used 3/8" with 1/2" barbs and the crappy pvc tubing tore at the bottom but I can't vouch for tygon cause that stuffs more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

go for 7/16" or 1/2" which ever you rather,7/16" is nice since you need no clamps but i think the fat look of 1/2" is cool :)

the res mounts to the DDc (u get rid of the orignal top of the DDc) UR best of just getting everything off Ek or buying from US (petra=massive savings)

The new DD barbs the "Fatboys" are supposed to be very nice and if you want even sexyer barbs you can get the compression fitting ones(bittpower and koolence make them)

awhir wrote: »
    go for 7/16" or 1/2" which ever you rather,7/16" is nice since you need no clamps but i think the fat look of 1/2" is cool :)

the res mounts to the DDc (u get rid of the orignal top of the DDc) UR best of just getting everything off Ek or buying from US (petra=massive savings)

The new DD barbs the "Fatboys" are supposed to be very nice and if you want even sexyer barbs you can get the compression fitting ones(bittpower and koolence make them)

now if we start entering compression barbs into the situation things could get complex given they don't fit on d-teks and he'd have to go for an EK supreme not to mention wall thickness and all that crap.

quick question awhir where did you get the hard drive mounting thing that connected to your rad? I need something like that for a scenario i'm in:)

Lol yes forgot about the D-teck there :)

amm its not mine was just showing it to fallcuss as an idea,Not sure try :

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/
    www.over-clock.co.uk

they should have something like that

found something similar from aqua computer but only holds one hard drive i'll have to figure some other way of solving the problem, thanks dude:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok this thread is probably going on for a lot longer then it should :rolleyes:

I'm just about there and i'll be posting my build list for critiquing soon (hopefully today) i'm just wondering what people think about Mosfet cooling? Do you think its needed?

I was hoping to just install the Thermalright HR09 mosfet coolers on my 680i but from reading around they supposedly aren't compatible with it. Should I just leave the stock coolers there or get some mosfet blocks and add them to the loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Mosfet blocks are nothing but unnecessary restriction in a loop, I draw the line at NB watercooling. There really is no need to WC anything beyond CPU/GPU/NB, not to mention when you've got lots of blocks and tubing it can look fugly.

Just wanted to say something else; checking prices of petras vs specialtech/chilledpc they seem to be almost the same now and specialtech works out cheaper for laing pumps and all EK stuff, and of course Thermochill rads. Most UK stores sell Yate Loon's now too, which is another reason I wouldn't go with petra over them. The €/£ is so good I don't think I'll be buying from petras again anytime soon.

nibble wrote: »
    Mosfet blocks are nothing but unnecessary restriction in a loop, I draw the line at NB watercooling. There really is no need to WC anything beyond CPU/GPU/NB, not to mention when you've got lots of blocks and tubing it can look fugly.

Just wanted to say something else; checking prices of petras vs specialtech/chilledpc they seem to be almost the same now and specialtech works out cheaper for laing pumps and all EK stuff, and of course Thermochill rads. Most UK stores sell Yate Loon's now too, which is another reason I wouldn't go with petra over them. The €/£ is so good I don't think I'll be buying from petras again anytime soon.

ok but i'd like to put something extra on the MOSFETs. It's a real nutshot that Thermalright doesn't support the evga 680i... I mean it must be the #1 680i board sold. There is going to be very little air movement inside this case so anything that isn't being watercooled needs to at least have a heatsink on it. I've already got some heatsink for the RAM.

Also, the problem i'm having trying to finalize my order is that a lot of these watercooling stores have very little stock. I mean chilledpc is a joke.

Apart from these stores is there any other ones I should be looking at?

specialtech
    aqua-pcs
    chilledpcs
    petratechshop

Most UK stores sell Yate Loon's now too, which is another reason I wouldn't go with petra over them. The €/£ is so good I don't think I'll be buying from petras again anytime soon.

Petras yate loons are different and tend to work better with radiators

• Advertisement

requiem1 wrote: »
    Petras yate loons are different and tend to work better with radiators

Hmm, I think chilledpc have the curved blade yates but I'm not too sure though.. The hooha on XS about this a while back was about petras vs some other US store.

confused about NB/SB blocks.

Ok i'm trying to find a block for the NB and SB for my 680i

Can a block that is used on the NB also be used on the SB? I can't seem to find any evga 680i blocks that specifically say they are for the SB.

i.e. can this block be used on both the SB and NB?

http://www.aqua-pcs.co.uk/ek-nb-evga-680i---clear-770-p.asp

Ok this is how my 2 loops are looking so far.

I need some advice now in regards to clips, coolants and where to get deionized water? All advice appreciated. Please C&C my build also.

LOOP 1

CPU Block D-Tek Fuzion CPU Block
    Mosfet Block MIPS MCH146 Mosfet 1
    Mosfet Block MIPS MCH147 Mosfet 2
    NB Block EK-NB EVGA 680i
    Res XSPC Dual 750 Bay Res/Pump
    Rad ThermoChill PA120.2 Radiator
    Pump XSPC Dual 750 Bay Res/Pump
    Tubing XSPC 3/8" ID Flexible tubing

LOOP 2

GFX Blocks EK-FC8800 GTX x 2
    SB Block EK-NF4 rev 1.1
    Res EK-Multioption RES 150 v2
    Rad ThermoChill PA120.3 Radiator
    Pump 12v Laing D5 Vario

Ok i would get rid of the pump in loop one as you will need a good pump there as there will be a good bit of restriction due to the 2 mosfets maby a 2nd D5 or a DDC.

why not just get 2 DDc 3.2's ?there small ,powerfull and look sexy.

go for Masterkleer tubing ment to be the best after tygon.

hmm... actually i've had a night to think about it and i'm going to scrap the mosfet blocks (I can't find any definitive proof that they are actually needed), also I think i'll take your advice, should the pump fail in the res it will be a headache to replace. I do like the idea of a bay res just for convenience of refilling. Here is what the new loops look like.

LOOP 1

NB Block EK-NB EVGA 680i
    Res ???
    Pump ???

LOOP 2

SB Block EK-NF4 rev 1.1
    Res EK-Multioption RES 150 v2
    Pump 12v Laing D5 Vario

For the pump, i'm looking to hopefully get my whole order from aqua-pcs.co.uk. If i'm not getting the XSPC bay pump/res, which one of these should I replace the pump?

http://www.aqua-pcs.co.uk/pumps-137-c.asp

and which one to replace the res?

http://www.aqua-pcs.co.uk/tube-reservoirs-133-c.asp

Also, in regard to clips, will any of them do?

http://www.aqua-pcs.co.uk/tubing-clips-290-c.asp

heres what I think the loops are going to look like

54631.jpg

The question marks on the blue loop is where should I put the pump, the question marks on the red loop is where should I put the res?

you can mount the 2 ek res's in the 51/2" bays if you look around you will se it done :)

amm the ddc's they sell are the old ones ,so i would go for the D5.

why not build the same order on petras and see does it work out cheaper ? just use 50$ shippin as a reference.

awhir wrote: »
    you can mount the 2 ek res's in the 51/2" bays if you look around you will se it done :)

amm the ddc's they sell are the old ones ,so i would go for the D5.

why not build the same order on petras and see does it work out cheaper ? just use 50$ shippin as a reference.

Nowhere sells the old DDC2's anymore, no matter what the specs say. You haven't been able to get them for like 9 months now.

Yep I'd say go side by side mounted from the drive bays for the res'. You could place both DDC's in the drive bays too, they should fit.

Ok, this is going to be my loops... i've got to do some measuring but I think this will work well. It will also free up most of the 5" bays for my 4 HDDs, fan controller and DVD drive

In regard to tubing. If I get tubing with an ID of 3/8" will I need to also get horseclips when attaching it to the barbs?

LOOP 1

NB Block EK-NB EVGA 680i
    Res EK-Multioption RES 100 Rev2
    Pump 12v Laing D5 Vario
    Tubing ???

LOOP 2

SB Block EK-NF4 rev 1.1
    Res EK-Multioption RES 100 Rev2
    Pump 12v Laing D5 Vario
    Tubing ???

54843.jpg

• Advertisement

I thought this might help if you don't already have the reservoirs but you can get two reservoirs linked together from ek people find them handy for dual loops
    RES-LINK1.jpg

if ur just putting 360 rad + psu down there you should have room for harddrives , or u could put the 2 pumps down there.

or why not put the 2 rads down there ?

I thought this might help if you don't already have the reservoirs but you can get two reservoirs linked together from ek people find them handy for dual loops
    RES-LINK1.jpg

hey man, cheers for this, yeah it looks exactly like what I need. Going to do some reading up and see what other peoples experiences have been with it?

Just wondering how i'd refill the lower res?

Oh and Awhir, yeah once I get the case and parts i'll probably revise the build depending on where things fit. Putting the pumps in the lower section seems like a good idea.

For tubing, how much should I be looking at getting. Would 10ft be enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

why not have two triple rads back to back in the bottom of the case instead of one at the top of the case as well?

KamiKazi wrote: »
    why not have two triple rads back to back in the bottom of the case instead of one at the top of the case as well?

because 2 triple rads won't fit with the PSU installed

Don't go with that res because it is just a single res, you'll be mixing water from each loop and you end up defeating the purpose of a dual loop set-up. Two separate EK res' would fit in that case fine so it's not necessary.
    10ft should do it, and go with masterkleer 7/16".

Don't go with that res because it is just a single res, you'll be mixing water from each loop and you end up defeating the purpose of a dual loop set-up. Two separate EK res' would fit in that case fine so it's not necessary.
    10ft should do it, and go with masterkleer 7/16".

Yeah i've been asking around and this is the case. I thought it had the option for having 2 seperate chambers and fill points. But as it doesn't I think i'll be sticking to my original plan of 2 x 100ml EK res'

btw, where can I buy deionized water in ireland? Do chemists sell it?

sorry about the late response but nibble already pointed out that its a single reservoir but you can use a single res in two loops, actually just read a thread about a guy using one, i'll find it for you a drop the link to you.

Actually got some stuff of petra today for my rebuild..i'll have to put a worklog together when i get done modding:D

EDIT: forgot to say you can fit a double and a triple in the bottom of the case ans get the psu in there

sorry about the late response but nibble already pointed out that its a single reservoir but you can use a single res in two loops, actually just read a thread about a guy using one, i'll find it for you a drop the link to you.

Actually got some stuff of petra today for my rebuild..i'll have to put a worklog together when i get done modding:D

EDIT: forgot to say you can fit a double and a triple in the bottom of the case ans get the psu in there

but that defeats the point of having 2 loops .......

• Advertisement

Most motor factors have it, and halfords sell it too I think. I got a good few litres here when I was buying some other stuff a while back http://www.cpconline.ie/

Advertisement