Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC/NTL Wireless Broadband Setup

Options
  • 13-02-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have rang up NTL to get another Broadband connection in the apartment, however they said you can only have one connection and that I need to setup a wireless Network in the house.

They will sell you a router(49.99) that is compatible if you are a new customer (a free one if its for the 6mb), however for existing customer they do not supply them.

Does anyone know what type I should go for? Is there much to setting it up. I rang the Customer Service and they had not a clue. Also the guy in the house who uses it currently has a work computer that prevents him from installing software, will he still be able to connect directly or will he have to access it through the wireless.

UPC/NTL are a joke :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

well Eircom post them out to you in a cardboard box and make you set it up yourself.. that's a bit of a joke aswell IMO. :rolleyes:

oh to answer your question (which seems to come up quite often here), I would recommend a Linksys WRT54G Router. I have Chorus/NTL aswell and that's what I use - have 1 PC, 2 laptops and 2 XBoxes working fine on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

Loveless wrote: »
    well Eircom post them out to you in a cardboard box and make you set it up yourself.. that's a bit of a joke aswell IMO. :rolleyes:

oh to answer your question (which seems to come up quite often here), I would recommend a Linksys WRT54G Router. I have Chorus/NTL aswell and that's what I use - have 1 PC, 2 laptops and 2 XBoxes working fine on it.

Cool thanks, do you have to install software on any of the computers. Does one of them have to be switched on all the time for the wireless to work?:confused:

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

pele10 wrote: »
    Does one of them have to be switched on all the time for the wireless to work?:confused:

No, they can be very easy to setup. You don't need to install software in order to configure the router, but the Easy Setup on the CD can be handy if it's your first time doing this.

The router does all the work, so you don't need to have a PC turned on all the time in order for it to work. The router takes the Internet connection from the Chorus/NTL box (into the WAN Port on the router) and then splits it into local IP address for every computer that is connected.

You can normally have up to 4 computers plugged directly into the router, and any number of laptops can be connected wirelessly at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

A standard cable router will work and the only setup you will have is plug it.
    You don't have to install anything to get it working the only thing you will have to do is set a password on the wireless and how to do that should be in the manual

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

Cheers guys, must head to computer shop over the weekend...:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

can you tell me the make of router upc/ntl provide for the broadband package.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ipodrocker wrote: »
    can you tell me the make of router upc/ntl provide for the broadband package.

AFAIK they have been supplying Netgears. Most likely this model:

http://netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is this still the wireless router upc provide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Yes but they will be moving to an all in one solution modem and wireless router in one. Its scientific atlantic(cisco)branded too so it should be great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Looks like it. I signed up again a few months back and got that white wifi router.

Just use it for the wifi though.

• Advertisement

DingDong wrote: »
    Yes but they will be moving to an all in one solution modem and wireless router in one. Its scientific atlantic(cisco)branded too so it should be great quality.

Hmmmmmmmm, do you know if this all in one solution can have the router turned off. I really prefer using my IPCop hardware and only use NTYL's equipment as a wifi point.

Doesn't sound likely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

DingDong wrote: »

Interesting. Any idea when they'll be coming out? 1 less piece of equipment to plug in is always a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Can't remember the expected launch date I heard.
    At a guess I expected it to be this model
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sean-nirvana

howya doin, this might be a bit off topic but i have a cisco modem and on ntl. but when i try to get into the router via "192.168.1.1" it gives me some poxy authentication login that i don't have details for..here's what it looks like
    http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z185/sean_nirvana92/-_-.jpg
    thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hey DingDong,

Any idea when this product is due to be launched?

Am a TV/BB customer about to go with a VOIP phone service, so this could be good for me.

Cheers,
    majj

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Hi, just got NTL broadband yesterday and have hit a snag so if someone could help me out that'd be great!

I've read the FAQ sticky and it's helped me alot. This is the point I've reached.

5) I can connect to wireless network but can't connect to the Internet

Follow these steps to try and pin point the problem:
    a) Open a command prompt. Start->run->cmd.
    b) In the command prompt type ipconfig /all. If your ip address under your wireless card is 169.254.xx.xxx or 0.0.0.0 then the problem is that you are not being assigned an ip address by your router. If not, note the ip address listed for "Gateway" and move to step c).
    c) If there is no ip address listed for "Gateway" then this is your problem. If there is an ip listed, type ping x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip listed for the gateway. If this ping times out, then the problem is that you do not have a valid connection to your router. If you do get a response to the ping, then the connection between your PC and rotuer is fine, so move to step d).
    d) Type ping 66.102.9.104. If the ping times out then the problem is between your router and internet connection. If you get a response, move to step e).
    e) Type ping www.google.ie. If this times out then the problem is that your dns servers are not configured.

The text highlighted in red is where I've gotten stuck!:( There is no ip address listed for "Gateway" so where do I go from here?

PLEASE, any help would be much appreciated!

Hi, just got NTL broadband yesterday and have hit a snag so if someone could help me out that'd be great!

I've read the FAQ sticky and it's helped me alot. This is the point I've reached.

5) I can connect to wireless network but can't connect to the Internet

c) If there is no ip address listed for "Gateway" then this is your problem. If there is an ip listed, type ping x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip listed for the gateway. If this ping times out, then the problem is that you do not have a valid connection to your router. If you do get a response to the ping, then the connection between your PC and rotuer is fine, so move to step d).

PLEASE, any help would be much appreciated!

Have you tried a wired connection? Does that work?
    Are you using all hardware from UPC [modem/router] and changed nothing?
    What hardware are you using, exactly?

RangeR wrote: »
    Have you tried a wired connection? Does that work?
    Are you using all hardware from UPC [modem/router] and changed nothing?
    What hardware are you using, exactly?

Wired connection works fine. I am using a modem and router provided by NTL. UPC recordable digibox with Cisco router, model no. EPC2425. There's a 'reset button on the back. Worried about pushing the thing since I have a laptop working at the moment and would rather not lose all connection when I'm just guessing.

In my PC I've a Belkin network car, model no. f5d7001.
    I finally got the belkin card to see the router by powering off the router for >10 minutes, (as recommended in the STICKY).

Wired connection works fine. I am using a modem and router provided by NTL. UPC recordable digibox with Cisco router, model no. EPC2425. There's a 'reset button on the back. Worried about pushing the thing since I have a laptop working at the moment and would rather not lose all connection when I'm just guessing.

In my PC I've a Belkin network car, model no. f5d7001.
    I finally got the belkin card to see the router by powering off the router for >10 minutes, (as recommended in the STICKY).

Ok, hang on a minute. That's some important bit of information that should have been mentioned in your first post.

You're problem is not with the NTL equipment or connection but with the computer you cannot connect.

There may be a software conflict [usually third party software that came with your wifi card] that is probably causing some sort of conflict.

Assuming that the problem computer is your PC desktop and NOT a laptop...

Did you install the software that came with the wireless card, other than the drivers?
    If so, remove this software. It's not needed. We'll get you going using Windows built in software.

You using Windows XP or Vista or something else?
    What Service Pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

howya doin, this might be a bit off topic but i have a cisco modem and on ntl. but when i try to get into the router via "192.168.1.1" it gives me some poxy authentication login that i don't have details for.

i know on linksys the default username is Admin and leave the password blank, so maybe try that. If not that then just search in google for the default username and password for your particular equipment.
    Loveless wrote: »
    to answer your question (which seems to come up quite often here), I would recommend a Linksys WRT54G Router. I have Chorus/NTL aswell and that's what I use - have 1 PC, 2 laptops and 2 XBoxes working fine on it.

seconded on this...well i have the WRT54GC...whatever the difference is, and it works a treat on the NTL cable broadband. Basically, instead of pluggin an ethernet cable from your computer into the NTL modem, ya plug one from the modem into the router and it sends the wireless out that way. Also if ya wanna connect using the cable, theres 4 ethernet ports on the router anyway.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    Ok, hang on a minute. That's some important bit of information that should have been mentioned in your first post.

You're problem is not with the NTL equipment or connection but with the computer you cannot connect.

There may be a software conflict [usually third party software that came with your wifi card] that is probably causing some sort of conflict.

Assuming that the problem computer is your PC desktop and NOT a laptop...

Did you install the software that came with the wireless card, other than the drivers?
    If so, remove this software. It's not needed. We'll get you going using Windows built in software.

You using Windows XP or Vista or something else?
    What Service Pack?

I did install the software that came with the wireless card but only because I couldn't get the card working by installing drivers downloaded from the net.

Using Windows XP
    I've service pack 3 installed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Collie147

if you change your IP to anything from 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.100 and the gateway to 192.168.1.1 (DNS to 192.168.1.1 too) it should work. The internet explorer log on is the gateway address (192.168.1.1) and the username and password is blank for both, Id recommend changing this though cos then anyone can access it. Im not sure what the advanced username and password is, Im trying to find that out for myself, if anyone knows, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Collie147

acually scrap that I didnt read that. You have to configure your router NOT to act as DNS and to make the Cable modem the DNS (i.e. using the IP address it's using, you'll only find this out by connecting your computer up to it and checking your settings that way, take em all down cos you'll need to input them into your router. Basically you have to use it as a gateway and stick the address it connects to as static. so when you stick in your own network settings on your computer you just put in the ip address range of the router, and the gateway as your router and it should just go through as a pass through. I'm not sure about your subnet mask though, that might need to be 0.0.0.0 since your router will undoubtedly have a different ip to your static internet connection, but I think 255.255.255.0 will suffice and it'll make its own mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ruaghain

Lads,

I recently got the new cisco router from UPC installed - used to have the old netgear one (which was class and worked perfectly), I have a NAS (DNS323) attached to it running twonky media server - but ever since I've gotten the new wireless router I'm not able to access anything on it from my xbox - it doesn't even find it on the network - what a pain in the as*!! Anybody else come across this problem?

Thanks,
    R.

Advertisement