Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transferring VRT??

Options
  • 13-02-2008 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone, ive been on boards for ages, just never registered until today, its a great site. I have a bit of a wierd question.

Im going over to collect a car i bough in the UK at the weekend, its an old car (over 10 years), and vrt is close to a 1000 on it. The thing is, i have another of the exact same car (which i bought in England a few years ago) which has been VRT'd, But never driven as the engine packed in just after i got it home!!

So im wondering, is there anyway legally i can say transfer the vrt on my old car to the new one to avoid paying another 1000 euro?? Or could i apply for a change of vehicle details, and change the chassis number on my old cars log book to the new chassis number, so i could then put the old plates on my new car???

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm afraid you can't legally do either. What you could do is an engine swap, if that's any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 thecatempire

Ye i was thinking that, but the body on the one im getting is alot better, less rust, etc. Just out of interest, what if i just put the irish registration plates on my new car?? (im sure someone will have a go at me for saying that!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What you're proposing (in both posts) is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ye i was thinking that, but the body on the one im getting is alot better, less rust, etc. Just out of interest, what if i just put the irish registration plates on my new car?? (im sure someone will have a go at me for saying that!)
    Eh, yeah. It's fraud.

Rovi - duh! thats why im asking, to see if there is anyway i can legally do it. if i didnt care about doing it legally, i wouldnt have put up a post about it, i would have just done it. I know you change engine numbers and other vehicle details, so i wondered if i could change the chassis number.

Anan- thanks, im guessing it would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was a similar thread I think a while back and the gist was that "the car" is the chassis. The VRT is paid therefore for the chassis. If you swap the same litre engine it could be considered a engine restoration and should be ok I think.

Now what you are saying is "I'm buying a second similar marque and want to transfer VRT" which is not legal afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

biko wrote: »
    not legal...

...but that need'nt stop you. I know of it having been done, however if you were detected it is likely that the car would be confiscated/impounded.

I wouldnt be worried at all about being found out, its more i know if you are in a bad accident insurance companies tend to check chassis numbers etc dont they?? So i would be worried about that, thats why id like to do it legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

biko wrote: »
    There was a similar thread I think a while back and the gist was that "the car" is the chassis. The VRT is paid therefore for the chassis.

Except for.........Land Rover's, (older, iirc) Ranger Rovers, Land Cruisers, lots of older cars (classics), beetles, etc etc.

Oh, and motorbikes.........I bought a brand spanking new frame for a Honda a few years ago, from Honda, for less than the cost of repainting the original...........£30 !! Not much demand for new frames/chassis !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement