Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Dublin Never Again! Vax Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Options
  • 13-02-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Doesn't the receipt say it needs to be returned in it's original packaging in a saleable condition?

Why didn't you just pack it back up. If they had handed the vacuum cleaner to you when you were buying it out of it's packaging would you have accepted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

*sigh*

as is stated in loads of other threads and the sticky, the item is not faulty therefore you are not entitled to anything. If the shop decides to give you a refund or replacement that's a goodwill gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All the contact info is here. Bit of a pain having to ring a UK number, unless you have the BT Ireland phone package. If you did take it apart and stick it back in the box, the manager wouldn't have a clue whether any of it's missing or not!

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosStaticPageSecondLevel?langId=-1&storeId=30001&includeName=ContactUs.htm#contact

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Firstly, please do not post your complaint twice. I was very tempted to lock your thread because of this.

Generally Argos are very good in dealing with returns. Some products are excluded from their returns policy, but I don't think vacuum cleaners fall into this category.

They do state the following on their website (bold added for emphasis)
    Most things we sell are covered by our 30-day money-back guarantee. Just return them to any store, unused in their original undamaged packaging, in a saleable condition, with the receipt, and we'll give you a refund

I would disassemble the vacuum at the very least. That might suffice to return it.

It might also be worth returning to the store and dealing with a different person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mackey

Get a Life Morons! All I wanted was customer service details and I got them!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

:p:p:p:p:eek::eek::eek:

Success - Got a FULL REFUND and an apology for the behaviour of Moron Manager :eek::eek::eek: in Argos. Maybe he'll be offered a job on Boards!!! HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!

Read the Argos returns policy and take a deep breath.

I have deleted your comment from the other Argos thread. Please do not post on this topic in any other threads or forums. Consider this a warning. If you do so again, I will ban you.

Why have you told me this twice? You've never made a mistake, have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Having worked for Argos for 7 years, I've dealt with many customers like the OP. The dimensions of the products are available in the book. Before she brought it home, she could have looked at it in store to see if it was suitable for her/her home. Even if its an item to be assembled, you can generally get an idea of its size and weight.

OP, if I had been the supervisor on duty in store, I would have refused you a refund. I can imagine that Customer service rep in the UK will tell you the same. But you have every right to pursue the matter as you see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

while the manager was rude not to get someone to help you out to the car, he is under no legal obligation to take it back and the argos return policy specifically states "in a resaleable condition". when you brought it back it wasn't in a resaleable condition so he was perfectly within his rights to refuse you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The manager was dead right to refuse a refund.
    Have another look at the magazine, it probably shows the size and weight. I'd almost gurantee the box shows the weight and most heavy items in Argos have a warning symbol so the staff don't hurt themselves.

Why couldn't you disassemble it and put it back in the packaging?

I don't work for Argos but I was there buying something yesterday.

On the back of my receipt there's a paragraph.

"So if, for any reason you are not completely happy with your purchase simply return your item unused, in the original undamaged packaging, in a saleable condition with the receipt, to any Argos store within 30 days of purchase we will exchange it or offer you a full refund, and that's guaranteed"

There's more to it than that but that's the important part. It's in their catalogue too and I'm pretty sure it's plastered around the shop.

And really, it's common sense. Do you think Argos want to have an employee messing about for an hour trying to unassemble your vacuum cleaner? What do you think they do with the unbroken stock they get back. They sell it. At least make an effort to try and make it saleable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

So you buy something from a catalogue and it turns out to be too heavy and too big. It had to be made up and you bring it back inthe "made up" state and then get angry they refuse to take it back.

Specs in the catalogue should have given you an idea but why not look around in a shop where they have them or a similar one on display?

An oh ...typing in caps doesnt make you right.

major thread backfire btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

major thread backfire btw

Should really be worse, its her own fault as I'm sure the manager tried to explain to her then to come on here ranting!!! trying to bad mouth Argos even though there were within their rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

seen two ppl in argos about 2 weeks ago trying to return two seperate vacumn cleaners which were well used and obviously not re-salable.

one woman claimed the suction went but even when the manager tried showing her how to empty the "bursting" dust container and clear out the filter she was having none of it and still insisted on a refund(which neither of them got). nothing wrong there only a lack of common sense imo

maybe these more powerful cyclonic bagless cleaners should have a warning that when you start using them they will suck up several years worth of dust and dirt from carpets which is of course going to clog the filters almost immediately!

Mackey wrote: »

I posted the first comment when I saw the double post in this thread and in the Electrical forum.

I posted the second comment when I saw that you had posted for a third time in the other Argos thread in this forum.

You posted the exact same comment three times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Look get over it. Did you read the size and weight dimensions in the catalogue? Obviously not. Did you read the return policy on the back of your receipt? No. Did you bother unassembling the vacuum cleaner before returning it? No. It's not Argos' fault you seemingly cannot read what is printed in black and white in a catalogue or on a receipt, nor that you seemingly have no knowledge of consumer law.

Rather than badmouthing Argos maybe spend the time removing the self-inflicted bullet from your foot instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yeah. Seems kind of lazy to have returned it fully made up. That gives an impression of "I could give a f*ck, I couldn't be bothered" kinda attitude.

Why is it Argos' problem that you couldnt lift it?

Why is it Argos' problem that you didnt check out the product better?

Shur we'll all just feel sorry for you and booo evil Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cheers to the Argos manager, jeers to the OP :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

^^^ not very helpful.

It's your own fault OP and surely it weighed as much when you brought it out of the shop?
    If you want a refund disassemble it and take it back. End of story.

She's edited her posts above. Now she says she's got a refund. Damn pity if it's true. Idiot customers like that make it harder for good customers to get treated well.

I used to work in a shop years ago. If a customer was nice and had half a brain they'd get whatever they wanted. We wanted to keep them. If they were an idiot they'd get their rights and nothing more. Customers like that are no great loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Get a Life Morons! All I wanted was customer service details and I got them!!!!!!!
    now your being insulting like the argos manager.see how easy it is.

If all she wanted was customer service details why didn't she just look in the catlogue??? Or even on the Customer Service link on www.argos.ie

If only companies like Argos made their policies clear to the customer. Like printing it on the back of the receipt, in the shop, in the catalogue and on their websites it would clear up any confusion. Oh wait ....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The op was lazy and wanted people to do the work for him/her, its sad that people are too lazy to look in books, websites or backs of receipts as already noted,

Doesn't matter now as the op has ran home to his/her parents by editing out there first post in this thread, its not fair when people make fun of them! :rolleyes:

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

She's edited her posts above. Now she says she's got a refund.

Editing the OP ought to be a hanging offense on boards. This thread is forever ruined (wasn't much to start with) and anyone coming here will not have a clue what all the posts are in response too if nobody quoted the OP.

What a disaster and worthy of a ban in my humble opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Chances are the OP only got a refund because argos just could not be bothered listening to him/her being extremely rude (and most likely abusive, from the tone of posts placed on boards here) so were willing to cut their losses and be rid. Sickening, and it makes working in customer service extremely hard but unfortunately its sometimes the only way to win.

Perhaps its best just to bin this thread? First off, argos are not in the wrong in the slightest and were she to buy the vac in powercity (or DID, harvey norman's etc.) the treatment she received when attempting to return it would have been no different. So the title is misleading. And now the thread makes no sense since its been chopped and edited.

Leaving the modding to the mods people.

The OP may have posted in haste, but there was a fair bit of jeering here.

:D:D:D:D

she never even mentioned customer service details in her OP. i think we know who the moron is here

edit:just timed myself gettting the customer service details

www.argos.ie->customer services->Contact us-FAQS->click here to contact us->0044 845 640 2020
    time: 15 seconds

• Advertisement
Advertisement