Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

dannym08 wrote: »
    god that M1/M50/M32 interchange is horrible,
    I think the design on the junctions is fine..... However I do have and issue with the lane allocation on the M50 NB approaching the junction. In particularly the section just past the Ballymun interchange.
    Here is a pic i took last week.
    M50.JPG
    It's madness that that same number of lanes (two) are allocated for the N32 as are allocated for the Airport, M1 NB and M50 (City bound, towards Port Tunnel).
    At this junction, the N32 is the exit and should only have one lane allocated.

The lane allocation should be:
    Lane 1: Airport/M1 NB
    Lane 2: Airport/M1 NB
    Lane 3: Port Tunnel/City
    Lane 4: N32 EB (Becoming 2 lanes after M1 Exit)

And when the lanes become 5....

Lane 4: Port Tunnel/City
    Lane 5: N32 (Becoming 2 lanes after M1 Exit)

The current 2 / 2 lane allocation will lead to tailbacks!!!!
    Please change this M50 management!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I think the design on the junctions is fine..... However I do have and issue with the lane allocation on the M50 NB approaching the junction. In particularly the section just past the Ballymun interchange.
    Here is a pic i took last week.
    M50.JPG
    It's madness that that same number of lanes (two) are allocated for the N32 as are allocated for the Airport, M1 NB and M50 (City bound, towards Port Tunnel).
    At this junction, the N32 is the exit and should only have one lane allocated.

The lane allocation should be:

The current 2 / 2 lane allocation will lead to tailbacks!!!!
    Please change this M50 management!!!
    I agree 100% whats going to happen is you'll have lane 1 and 2 congested while lane 3 and 4 will be free leading to people driving down lane 3 and trying to merge back into lane 2 at the last minute causing all sorts of problems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

triple-M wrote: »
    not N3 users tho, october 2010 for the n3 interchange completion! :(

I know. Another year of hell due to the Auburn Avenue roundabout being in such close proximity to the M50 roundabout. Another year of queuing from the Phoenix Park station flyover all the way to the M50 every evening. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

I agree 100% whats going to happen is you'll have lane 1 and 2 congested while lane 3 and 4 will be free leading to people driving down lane 3 and trying to merge back into lane 2 at the last minute causing all sorts of problems

I drove down this road on Saturday evening and thought exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Its a bit of stupidity alright. Fixable though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Heroditas wrote: »
    I know. Another year of hell due to the Auburn Avenue roundabout being in such close proximity to the M50 roundabout. Another year of queuing from the Phoenix Park station flyover all the way to the M50 every evening. :(

In relation to Auburn Ave Roundabout, from 6am tomorrow there will be a new layout from here to the M50 Interchange. The third lane (right lane) will be closed and the bus lane will be turned into a running lane. Approaching Auburn from the city, the left lane will be left only while the other two lanes will be for straight ahead. This layout will be to facilitate excavation of the new permanent lanes in the existing median, the deepest section being 4.4m below existing road.

Also after the M50 Interchange outbound to Scott's, the third lane will be closed here too, for median works. Since the old M50 NB on ramp re-opened last week, this lane has not been needed and has generally been empty. These works are to facilitate median works and creation of a turning lane into Total Fitness from the N3 outbound. This lane will be required for the next phase of Scotts, a T-junction layout.

Again in the vacinity of the N3 tonight, the layout of the SB Off ramp will be changed. Traffic will now be directed over the newly constructed bridge and straight up to the lights. This should speed up effectivness of the lights as there will no longer be an incline before the stop line so traffic should move off a little faster

M50 Traffic Management

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see what it's like tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Thank you very much for your update. Your updates here are extremely useful as I'm sure you have already gathered by the responses in the past few weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

armada104 wrote: »
    As far as I can see it's actually the other way round. All movements from the N3 inbound are freeflow. Staying on the N3 outbound will involve using the roundabout as well as going N3 outbound to M50(N)
    Yea, sorry, I meant inbound.
    As 32 is less than 50, then it is by definition a primary route....
    I know it has an N number, but it's just a glorified distributor road for the city.

I predict mayhem at the Auburn Avenue junction for the next few months. It was very slow today at lunchtime. I dread to think what it will be like this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's asphalt down on all the route visible on the route from the M1S to M50 Ballymun-bound, the full offslip and almost all the onslip, bar about 5m right at the join to the M50 mainline. I don't know if the bridges are done, but the join from the bridge is done and that was a big gap a few days ago

Some of the slip roads at the Sandyford junction (J13) seem complete, lined and signposts up. I may have missed something, but cannot see why they have not yet been opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

nordydan wrote: »
    Some of the slip roads at the Sandyford junction (J13) seem complete, lined and signposts up. I may have missed something, but cannot see why they have not yet been opened.
    could be drainage related maybe?not too sure myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

nordydan wrote: »

Don't worry, they did the same with the off-ramp(Abbeyleix direction) on the N7 at the Port Laoise roundabout.

Don't worry, they did the same with the off-ramp(Abbeyleix direction) on the N7 at the Port Laoise roundabout.

That was due to land access I think. No such issues here AFAIK

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

October 2010 for opening of N3/M50 multiplex. It can't happen quick enough.

I think with this and the M3, the traffic situation through the Blanch urban sprawl zone should be improved somewhat. One thing though is the the dualler between the M50 and the start of the M3 is due for a Lucan Bypass-style overhaul - bus and cycle lanes both ways and 6 driving lanes. In addition, the completion of the long-proposed Cherryhound-Ballycoolin road would allow traffic up at Ballycoolin to access the M50 using the N2 which would take it off the N3. Get the finger out Fingal!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Plenty of work going at the Junct 3 on ramp from the tunnel, curbs and stone down

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

new vid of red cow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUIjbp9k_8Y
    courtesy of dubdade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

The big up and over for M1 South to M50 freeflow has tar down. It looks to be coming to an end in terms of finishing. The M50 to M1/M50 PT still needs some tying in work and hasn't had any tar applied yet. Perhaps "M50 Traffic Management" might know if they are still on schedule for opening these freeflows by end of October?

Also there were loads of guys working on the PT to M50 slip this morning as well. Looked like one of those big pushes when they are trying to finish off something before opening so I'd expect it to be quite soon as well.

PS. Thanks for the updates so far M50 Traffic Management!!

In relation to Auburn Ave Roundabout, from 6am tomorrow there will be a new layout from here to the M50 Interchange. The third lane (right lane) will be closed and the bus lane will be turned into a running lane. Approaching Auburn from the city, the left lane will be left only while the other two lanes will be for straight ahead. This layout will be to facilitate excavation of the new permanent lanes in the existing median, the deepest section being 4.4m below existing road.

A Garda is needed to police this outbound junction in the evening. People still whizz up the inside lane and then bully their way in at the lights. It's bad enough that buses and taxis do it but it's compounded by ignorant motorists.
    Tonight at 5pm was very light yet it still took 20mins to travel 400m and get through the junction and head southbound on the M50. That outbond route is now a complete disaster.

I'm going to give up that route and travel home via Finglas. It may be a longer distance but it appears to be quicker..... at least until the Castleknock roundabout is fixed in the Phoenix Park. :(

• Advertisement

cargo wrote: »
    The big up and over for M1 South to M50 freeflow has tar down. It looks to be coming to an end in terms of finishing. The M50 to M1/M50 PT still needs some tying in work and hasn't had any tar applied yet. Perhaps "M50 Traffic Management" might know if they are still on schedule for opening these freeflows by end of October?

Also there were loads of guys working on the PT to M50 slip this morning as well. Looked like one of those big pushes when they are trying to finish off something before opening so I'd expect it to be quite soon as well.

PS. Thanks for the updates so far M50 Traffic Management!!

The end of October is looking less likely at this moment in time. Due to restrictions on nightworks, roadstone are slightly behind where they wanted to be. Nevertheless the slips will hopefully be open in the next month. This will mean we will also have 4 lanes northbound from Ballymun, 1 for Airport/M1 NB, 1 for the new freeflow to M1 SB and 2 for the M1 Interchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Cheers M50. Thanks for the update. I head M1 NB off M50 anyway so I'll be allright :)

.......This will mean we will also have 4 lanes northbound from Ballymun, 1 for Airport/M1 NB, 1 for the new freeflow to M1 SB and 2 for the M1 Interchange

Still can't understand the logic of this. As many of us have pointed out in previous posts.... this will be a disaster.
    Long term, how can two lanes be justified for N32 traffic (I know it will be the old roundabout that can feed all routs, however in practice it will be only N32 traffic), while the other two lanes will serve the Airport, M1-NB, City, and Port Tunnel.

As i said previously the layout should be:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭sk8board

didn't the M50 slip on to M1 North always have 2 lanes? (well, one lane that split into two; one for M1N, and one for Airport/M1N

I use this every day; Id be very interested to get a definitive answer from the person from M50 Traffic MGT (or is there an answer in previous pages?)

I can't imagine why we need two lanes for the N32!, although I guess they did some sort of traffic analysis before agreeing a layout.

Surely replacing the 2 existing lanes from M50N to M1N is the easiest thing to implement of the entire M50 upgrade; its not likes theres not enough room!

sk8board wrote: »
    didn't the M50 slip on to M1 North always have 2 lanes? (well, one lane that split into two; one for M1N, and one for Airport/M1N

I use this every day; Id be very interested to get a definitive answer from the person from M50 Traffic MGT (or is there an answer in previous pages?)

I can't imagine why we need two lanes for the N32!, although I guess they did some sort of traffic analysis before agreeing a layout.

Surely replacing the 2 existing lanes from M50N to M1N is the easiest thing to implement of the entire M50 upgrade; its not likes theres not enough room!

The real issue is the allocation of the four lanes just after the Ballymun Junction. (The lane allocation at the M1/M50 junction itself is OK).
    Below is a picture i tool a few weeks back.

The Two lanes to the right of the "Large Dashed Line" are for the N32, while the other two are for all other routes (Splitting into additional lanes closer to the M1/M50 Junction).

As other posters and I have pointed out, this will lead to:
    1. Potential tail backs in lanes 1 and 2
    2. People driving down the underused lane 3 and 4 and merging with lane 2 at the last minute (again causing tailbacks, as well as been dangerous).

There is no point overstating it....it's not a complete disaster, but I believe it is poor lane allocation that does not optimise the capacity of the motorway/junction.

93190.JPG
    Looking at this image, this lane (the one the photo was taken from) would work best if it split just before the junction so just before the lanes diverge.

lane 1 - M1N & Airport
    lane 2 - M1N
    lane 3 - M50 PT
    lane 4 - M50 PT & N32
    lane 5 - N32

Having the 4th lane split is better, otherwise some traffic joining at Ballymun for the N32 would be forced to cross all lanes to be in the right lane and run the risk of being rear ended by speeding traffic in the right lane racing to one of the left slips.

Account suspended!

oops! it looks like the M50 team forgot to renew the domain name. m50.ie

Account suspended!

oops! it looks like the M50 team forgot to renew the domain name. m50.ie

Back up now, they must have heard you!

I keep looking at the picture of the upgraded N3/M50 interchange and I have a couple of questions.

1. Will that main roundabout be completely freeflow when it is finished?

2. Will outgoing traffic heading towards Navan still be using that roundabout when the work is done?

3. Northbound traffic on the M50 looking to head into town - will that traffic still use the roundabout too?

The picture on the M50 website seems reasonably clear bar those items above.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    I keep looking at the picture of the upgraded N3/M50 interchange and I have a couple of questions.

1. Will that main roundabout be completely freeflow when it is finished?

2. Will outgoing traffic heading towards Navan still be using that roundabout when the work is done?

3. Northbound traffic on the M50 looking to head into town - will that traffic still use the roundabout too?

The picture on the M50 website seems reasonably clear bar those items above.

Maybe this view is a bit clearer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement