Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭sk8board

The real issue is the allocation of the four lanes just after the Ballymun Junction. (The lane allocation at the M1/M50 junction itself is OK).
    Below is a picture i tool a few weeks back.

The Two lanes to the right of the "Large Dashed Line" are for the N32, while the other two are for all other routes (Splitting into additional lanes closer to the M1/M50 Junction).

As other posters and I have pointed out, this will lead to:
    1. Potential tail backs in lanes 1 and 2
    2. People driving down the underused lane 3 and 4 and merging with lane 2 at the last minute (again causing tailbacks, as well as been dangerous).

There is no point overstating it....it's not a complete disaster, but I believe it is poor lane allocation that does not optimise the capacity of the motorway/junction.

actually, now that I think about it; there is a similar situation coming in the Naas Rd between Newlands cross and the M50. The traffic for the M50 N + S is all in 1 lane, and there there are 2 lanes for City.

It works, but only barely, and it only works because people use the middle lane to get through the lights at Newlands cross, and then move into the M50 lane further up.

Anything is an improvement to the M1/M50 junct, so roll on completion.

Also, will the new M1/M50 junct relieve the traffic from backing up the M1 in the morning, from Donabate to the Airport junct's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

sk8board wrote: »
    Anything is an improvement to the M1/M50 junct, so roll on completion.

Also, will the new M1/M50 junct relieve the traffic from backing up the M1 in the morning, from Donabate to the Airport junct's?

All traffic from the M1 SB to the M50 SB will be freeflow. The only traffic from the M1 in the mornings that will be using the existing traffic lights will be N32 traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Maybe this view is a bit clearer

That's a lot clearer. Thanks for that.

Will that main roundabout be free-flow or will there still be traffic lights on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Maybe this view is a bit clearer

Would you have similar "updated" view for the N2/M50 junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Would you have similar "updated" view for the N2/M50 junction?

I'd like to see that too as there are some extra structures being built that just don't appear on the existing images. I'm guessing N2 north to M50 north will be free flow as will N2 south to M50 south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

oddiot wrote: »
    I'd like to see that too as there are some extra structures being built that just don't appear on the existing images. I'm guessing N2 north to M50 north will be free flow as will N2 south to M50 south.

Will be, most of the work on the n2 interchange so far has been part of the loops for the free flow on both sides. They have started the structures on the ashbourne side, including the ramps, plenty of stone/ground work done in the field to the left of m50 as going northbound. The esb poles were in the way but were cleared a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

sk8board wrote: »

I'd say most of that is due to merging at Lissenhall and at Holywell. There should definitely be auxilliary lanes between the Holywell and Airport junctions to reduce the merging in the short term and to Lissenhall in the longer term.

Come next month with the trains back it should help it do :)

Davy wrote: »
    Come next month with the trains back it should help it do :)

This is more likely to happen ;)

mDevil.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Heroditas wrote: »
    ...Will that main roundabout be free-flow or will there still be traffic lights on it?

By it's nature any roundabout (signalled or not) is not a Freeflow junction.

As for the traffic lights... I assume they will keep this roundabout signalised.
    I belive they are going to keep the M1/M50 roundabout signalised and that will have less traffic movements than the N3/M50 one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

cargo wrote: »
    The big up and over for M1 South to M50 freeflow has tar down. It looks to be coming to an end in terms of finishing. The M50 to M1/M50 PT still needs some tying in work and hasn't had any tar applied yet. Perhaps "M50 Traffic Management" might know if they are still on schedule for opening these freeflows by end of October?

Also there were loads of guys working on the PT to M50 slip this morning as well. Looked like one of those big pushes when they are trying to finish off something before opening so I'd expect it to be quite soon as well.

PS. Thanks for the updates so far M50 Traffic Management!!

The M50 to M1/M50 PT up and over now has a few layers down on it too. Final layer not down on either free flow bridge yet. Same story for the PT to M50 slip, it has plenty of tar down but it's not tied in to the mainline yet. I wonder what they will get done over the weekend?

As for the traffic lights... I assume they will keep this roundabout signalised.

I hope not. Otherwise there won't be much of an improvement outbound on the N3. The main problem outbound is the fact that there are traffic lights at Auburn Avenue, followed by the lights at the M50 roundabout only 200m further on.
    If they keep the lights at both of these junctions there will still be massive tailbacks in the evenings.
    I'm not as optimistic about these upgrades as I was previously. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Heroditas wrote: »
    I hope not. Otherwise there won't be much of an improvement outbound on the N3. The main problem outbound is the fact that there are traffic lights at Auburn Avenue, followed by the lights at the M50 roundabout only 200m further on.
    If they keep the lights at both of these junctions there will still be massive tailbacks in the evenings.
    I'm not as optimistic about these upgrades as I was previously. :(

I totally agree. I'm thinking worst case, but "M50 Traffic Management" said in this thread that the M50/M1 roundabout would be signalised. (Which I disagree with as only N32 traffic will be using it).
    I can only assume the same is going to be the case for the M50/N3 roundabout.

Can you clarify "M50 Traffic Management"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Same story for the PT to M50 slip, it has plenty of tar down but it's not tied in to the mainline yet. I wonder what they will get done over the weekend?
    There is a 15 foot trench there at the moment in a certain part.

The M50 to M1/M50 PT up and over now has a few layers down on it too. Final layer not down on either free flow bridge yet. Same story for the PT to M50 slip, it has plenty of tar down but it's not tied in to the mainline yet. I wonder what they will get done over the weekend?

These show whats done to the on the ramp heading towards the tunnel, pics are looking north.

4017641332_cf627de444_b.jpg

4017640640_c1d7093bd5_b.jpg

The above ramp now has an extra layer of hardcore, they were prep-ing it friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The ramp from the M1S to the M50 Ballymun bound has wearing course on most of it, there's a few squares missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

The end of October is looking less likely at this moment in time. Due to restrictions on nightworks, roadstone are slightly behind where they wanted to be. Nevertheless the slips will hopefully be open in the next month. This will mean we will also have 4 lanes northbound from Ballymun, 1 for Airport/M1 NB, 1 for the new freeflow to M1 SB and 2 for the M1 Interchange

Hi M50 Traffic MGT,

Do you have any update on above, how far out is the finish on this junction now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

celticbest wrote: »
    Hi M50 Traffic MGT,

Do you have any update on above, how far out is the finish on this junction now?

The new freeflow from the M1 NB to the M50 SB will open on Thursday 5th November

The freeflow from the M1 SB to the M50 SB will partially open (one lane) on Thursday 12th November

Below are some up to date images of the interchange

All traffic from the M1 SB to the M50 SB will be freeflow. The only traffic from the M1 in the mornings that will be using the existing traffic lights will be N32 traffic

When all the freeflows are in operation, the N32 exit onto the roundabout traffic lights will be completely redundant (except for the odd motorist forgetting about the freeflow). as there will be nothing going around that part of the roundabout.

Will these lights be removed, the other sets of lights will have much lighter traffic to deal with, could they be removed as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The new freeflow from the M1 NB to the M50 SB will open on Thursday 5th November

The freeflow from the M1 SB to the M50 SB will partially open (one lane) on Thursday 12th November

Below are some up to date images of the interchange

Thank you for the pictures. I am wondering - I started a thread on it elsewhere - whether the gantries on the Motorway will have VMS signs installed on them when construction finishes? Do you know if this is the case?
    They look built to take variable signs. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Hi

Technically isn't it freeflow from m50 to m50, as the m1 only starts north of junction ?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hi M50, is the Auburn roundabout going to be replaced by a traffic light controlled junction or a flyover and slip roads?

Thansk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Random wrote: »
    Hi M50, is the Auburn roundabout going to be replaced by a traffic light controlled junction or a flyover and slip roads?

Thansk
    traffic lights unfortunately,check out the picture in post #421 it has a pretty good view of the auburn avenue junction

triple-M wrote: »
    traffic lights unfortunately,check out the picture in post #421 it has a pretty good view of the auburn avenue junction

I thought it was to be a light junction too, but that picture shows a under pass for the auburn ave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Davy wrote: »
    I thought it was to be a light junction too, but that picture shows a under pass for the auburn ave
    it actually does look like an underpass in that pic now that you mention it,must be an error or a bad picture because if there was to be an underpass there there would be no need for a break in the road markings for the straight through lanes over the junction

It'll be a nightmare coming off the M50 heading northbound and trying to head into town on the N3 when this work is completed.
    You'll still have to navigate the roundabout but if they remove the traffic lights you'll have to contend with all the traffic heading outbound.
    I can see the benefit of all this work to improve the traffic flow inbound on the N3 but there doesn't appear to be any real improvement on the outbound traffic - all the outbound traffic will still use the Auburn Avenue junction and the existing M50/N3 interchange roundabout.
    It'll still be bedlam in the evnings if you have the traffic lights at Auburn Avenue and then lights on the M50 roundabout.
    Please tell me I'm missing something here. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Please tell me I'm missing something here.
    The roundabout won't be so busy?

Just wishful thinking on my part really. Looks like it'll still be pretty awful.

armada104 wrote: »
    The roundabout won't be so busy?

Just wishful thinking on my part really. Looks like it'll still be pretty awful.

Exactly. In the morning you will still have heavy quantities of traffic outbound to Blanchardstown, thus necessitating the need for lights to allow northbound traffic coming off the M50 wishing to head towards Ashtown to access the N3.
    In the evening, these lights (Assuming there will still be lights on the existing roundabout), combined with the lights at the Auburn Avenue junction means we will have a situation broadly similar to what we have now.
    If this is still kept the same, we will contine to have delays anywhere from 30-45mins to get onto the M50 in the evenings when heading outbound.
    The traffic outbound was backed up 100m east of the Phoenix Park flyover on Friday afternoon at 3pm. I can't see how it will be improved with this fix they propose. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Why are there struts on the medium and either side of the dual carraigeway then being built at the moment? They're just past the Auburn roundabout heading past the travellodge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement