Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

Hi M50 MGT,

there was total bedlam at the N3 flyover eastbound this evening. People had no idea what lane to be in, or which lane they were in. Half the drivers were indicating to get into another lane with the other half sitting on their horns. This is at best going to cause some road rage incident and at worst a (low speed) accident

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also awaiting Tallaght-Firhouse s/b update please.
    ditto. Any update on progress on southbound from Ballymount to Dundrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

kbannon wrote: »
    ditto. Any update on progress on southbound from Ballymount to Dundrum?

This is the latest on Firhouse to Dundrum.

Tallaght-Firhouse not mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Indeed.
    Take 4: Patiently awaiting information on Tallaght-Firhouse progress & expected completion. As patiently as I pass the 25 mins it takes me to get from Red Cow to Firhouse most mornings now ;)

Anyone else interested to know as well as myself, Wibbler, kbannon, & Redsoxfan that I can recall for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Redsoxfan wrote: »

3 lanes will be ready to open from Tallaght to Firhouse NB & SB by the end of the year but the process of auditing and taking over the road by the relevant authorities may take longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

pc123 wrote: »
    Hi M50 MGT,

there was total bedlam at the N3 flyover eastbound this evening. People had no idea what lane to be in, or which lane they were in. Half the drivers were indicating to get into another lane with the other half sitting on their horns. This is at best going to cause some road rage incident and at worst a (low speed) accident

I was on the Trim bus stuck in this as well. At one stage we didn't move for 20 minutes. It took me over 2 1/2 hours to get home. It's a crazy situation on the N3 now leading up to the Auburn roundabout and M50. Something needs to be done soon to alleviate this traffic (Garda traffic wardens or change the lights sequencing) while these works are in place.

3 lanes will be ready to open from Tallaght to Firhouse NB & SB by the end of the year but the process of auditing and taking over the road by the relevant authorities may take longer

So could Firhouse to Sandyford be opened while Tallaght to Firhouse is awaiting audit?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mickdel

Question: If the new layout is working so well can you explain to me then why its taking 2 & 1/2 hours to commute to Trim every evening?? A journey that should take no more than 1hr 10. And i'm a regular commuter have been for over 12 years and never seen it so bad. The only evening we seem to get home at any resonable time is on a friday, when you lads have finished up at 4 o'clock!!

Mickdel wrote: »
    Question: If the new layout is working so well can you explain to me then why its taking 2 & 1/2 hours to commute to Trim every evening?? A journey that should take no more than 1hr 10. And i'm a regular commuter have been for over 12 years and never seen it so bad. The only evening we seem to get home at any resonable time is on a friday, when you lads have finished up at 4 o'clock!!

The layouts do not change on a daily basis. We do not have any extra lanes open once construction finishes. It is more than likely a traffic light issue. There are no differences in layout between a Tuesday and Friday evenings

Well then why were Bus Eireann requesting a meeting with yourselfs to clear up the issue? As not only were buses not able to get out of the city but buses were not able to get in?? And if it is a traffic light issue surely its bad traffic management on your behalf as oppose to just a build up of traffic! Surely yous must have factored in the amount of traffic on the road prior to putting in place your traffic plan?? Your answer still does not clarify why its taking nearly and hour and 20 mins more than normal to get to trim if traffic is flowing so smoothly??? I aprreciate that the work has to be done just think more thought should have been put into the initial traffic plan as oppose to letting people suffer for a few months... Last night took 5.30 bus from Bus aras and didn't reach the m50 roundabout till 7.05pm...bad traffic plan in place....

• Advertisement

Well then why were Bus Eireann requesting a meeting with yourselfs to clear up the issue? As not only were buses not able to get out of the city but buses were not able to get in?? And if it is a traffic light issue surely its bad traffic management on your behalf as oppose to just a build up of traffic! Surely yous must have factored in the amount of traffic on the road prior to putting in place your traffic plan?? Your answer still does not clarify why its taking nearly and hour and 20 mins more than normal to get to trim if traffic is flowing so smoothly??? I aprreciate that the work has to be done just think more thought should have been put into the initial traffic plan as oppose to letting people suffer for a few months... Last night took 5.30 bus from Bus aras and didn't reach the m50 roundabout till 7.05pm...bad traffic plan in place....

We are not denying that traffic may be worse than usual but once again there will be three lanes open from Auburn to Scott's by tomorrow night. Bus Eireann did not request a meeting with us, they attended a weekly meeting and the dirruption was only one aspect of what they were concerned about. As this is a major route for both Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus, the location of permanent bus stops is a key issue in minimising disruption to traffic flows once works are complete

Look don't want to seem to be getting on your case about it and can understand that there will inevitably be disruption and delays cause of the nature of the work you are doing. But is it not possible to do most of the heavy work outside peak time commuter travel time??? The auburn roundabout was blocked the other night with lorries takin muck and clay away.. As i said already i do understand but 2 and half hours to travel every eveing after working all day is a bit too much...Hopefully new layout tomorrow night will alleviate some of the congestion and traffic will flow more smoothly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

guys, i know it's fairly frustrating (got caught there one pm last week, but luckily i can change my route) but try to keep the tone nuetral with the q's towards M50 TM. They have come on here and the response to their bits of info has been welcomed.

If we start having a go at this poster they'll probably just disappear off here altogether. We don't know their role in the organisation and possibly they are just a messanger. I would hope though the suggestions given here are taken back by M50 TM to whoever looks at the issues.

I've even seen suggestions and requests to change designs of junctions etc. I'd say from the username of the poster that they have nothing to do with the actual design/build of the road but is employed in the seperate company overseeing the traffic management during the works. (they may even be just employed by a seperate PR company for disseminating the info on the job)

@ Mickdel, not have a go at you or anything but just in general the tone has started to turn negative towards M50 TM. (and no I'm not his/her mother :D)

I just don't wasnt to lose them and their vital updates on the M1/M50 junction.... any day now...... (although i did see them pumping water off the new inside lane this morning as you come down SB on the M1... oh dear..)

I know Cargo, don't want to sound negative and yes am little bit fustrated with it all but i do agree and am very grateful to M50 TM for comin on here and tryin to help out by explaining some of the difficulties there havin, god knows i know it wasn't perfect in the begining. i worked long enough on similar jobs to understand.. as i said hopefully will all work out for the better in the long run..... And as for M50 TM was not havin a go more was just venting a little fustration and do appreciate that u've takin the time to respond and explain...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

AlekSmart wrote: »
    .....every project requires an amount of responsible bodies or individuals just enough to ensure that NONE of them actually ARE responsible for whichever elements are problematic.....as is apparent in the Governance of the Country itself.

Amen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Really finding it difficult to get to work on the M50 motorway the past few weeks with the Finglas and Blanch north bound off ramps gone to the dog no matter what time of day it is. Also the M50/M1 interchange is a disaster! (there was a tailback for over 2kms today outside rushhour northbound taking nearly half an hour.

I realise that its some pain while the upgrade work is being done but its impossible for Joe Public to get traffic updates when Live Drive is not on the air.

It would be very useful to have a few of those mobile display signs we often see on the M50 giving journey times for the badly effected off ramps - in advance of those slips. It might also help alleviate traffic at those off ramps.

On a lighter note has anyone got the a final design for the M50 Roundabout. Junction 6 or a link to it somewhere...thanks

From lunchtime tomorrow there will be 3 lanes open from Auburn Ave Roundabout to Scott's Roundabout on the N3 Outbound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

From lunchtime tomorrow there will be 3 lanes open from Auburn Ave Roundabout to Scott's Roundabout on the N3 Outbound
    At the moment it's a complete joke. The lanes on the M50 roundabout all merge and mix before the Blanch roundabout and then again on the roundabout. I'm shocked I haven't seen more accidents. "N3 use both lanes" and one of them is for M50 North only!

Anyways, good to hear there's 3 lanes opening. Will there we 3 lanes open on the Auburn roundabout too?

What's the time frame for removing the Auburn roundabout?

What's the time frame for removing the Blanchardstown roundabout?

How do you access Total Fitness currently? It used to be between Blanch and M50 inbound but the exit appears blocked today from glancing at it as I passed earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Random wrote: »
    What's the time frame for removing the Blanchardstown roundabout?

According to yesterday's update (1 page back) the Blanchardstown / Scotts roundabout will be gone by November 23rd. There's a map attached which shows the roundabout replaced by a T junction.

• Advertisement

Driving home this evening, I noticed that speed limit signs were being placed at the Tallaght onramp (Northbound), and, heaven help us, 'No U-Turn' signs at the bottom of the slip. I don't recall ever seeing such a sign at the end of a slip before?

It would suggest (to me) that Tallaght-Ballymount could be open very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The No U Turn signs are sometimes used in place of No Right Turn signs at the bottom of slip roads. I don't think they're the correct signs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I'm very sceptical that these lanes will be completed by years end, never mind commissioned, but I live in hope! :)

Have to say last night traffic flowed alot smoother through Auburn Roundabout and up onto M50 Roundabout. Tink this was due more to the fact of having a Garda stationed on the Auburn RA to direct the traffic.. Hopefully with 3 lanes opening up this eveing the traffic should flow alot better... ave to agree with Random, can't believe there haven't been more accidents as everybody just seems to be in any lane they want and take any exit they like at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭sk8board

This has now been pushed back to next Monday night

great news, thanks. really starting to look like its nearly ready this morning.

question: will cars still be able to go M1S -> M50S using the existing N32 interchange (roundabout and traffic lights?)

i.e. there will effectively be 3 lanes for people going M50 south bound? (1 fly-over + 2 existing)

coupled with the re-introduction of the Belfast line trains, that should remove a some congestion on the M1 south from Lissenhall to the Airport each morning

sk8board wrote: »

question: will cars still be able to go M1S -> M50S using the existing N32 interchange (roundabout and traffic lights?)

i.e. there will effectively be 3 lanes for people going M50 south bound? (1 fly-over + 2 existing)

Yes, unless there are plans to close the section of roundabout that crosses the N32, thus making that part of the Junction exclusively for N32 traffic.

edit: is the now flyover 2 lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭sk8board

edit: is the now flyover 2 lanes?

yes, but the 'M50 guy' said they were only opening 1 lane last night, now its Monday night, I assume still just the 1 lane; possibly pecause theya re still tieing in the M50 part of the lanes just this morning

both M1 off-ramp lanes to the flyover looked completed to me this morning, but hey, I'm not arguing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Went through the M1/M50 Interchange this morning and the M1 South to M50 South connector was being lined!!!

Fingers crossed for Monday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

25 Minute queue this morning to get off at Finglas from M50 northbound. Will it be like this untill April?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Truck jacknifed Southbound after Finglas I think... Road is closed, driver is trapped, queue mayhem...

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=92304

- I wonder if someone trying to skip the queue caused this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement