Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

from aaroadwatch.ie...

From 6am Thurs 30th Oct a temporary layout will be in place on the M50 northbound between J5 Finglas and J3 M1 until Wed 12th Nov. Traffic will be separated to make way for works between the two lanes just before J5 Finglas. The two lanes will remain fully operational. However, northbound traffic wishing to exit the M50 should remain in the left lane. Both lanes will allow traffic to continue North on the M50. Signs will be in place giving motorists advanced warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Median width should ideally be 3 metres on narrow-median motorways.

from aaroadwatch.ie...

From 6am Thurs 30th Oct a temporary layout will be in place on the M50 northbound between J5 Finglas and J3 M1 until Wed 12th Nov. Traffic will be separated to make way for works between the two lanes just before J5 Finglas. The two lanes will remain fully operational. However, northbound traffic wishing to exit the M50 should remain in the left lane. Both lanes will allow traffic to continue North on the M50. Signs will be in place giving motorists advanced warning.

Looks like they have moved one lane of traffic onto the new road, but only for the section between Finglas and Ballymun - not all the way to the M1 roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Looks like they have moved one lane of traffic onto the new road, but only for the section between Finglas and Ballymun - not all the way to the M1 roundabout.

Do does this means they are working on the outer lanes and the hard shoulder?

the bridge at finglas isn't wide enough to work on two new lanes and maintain 2 traffic lanes. When diverting one lane onto the new surface, they free up the middle lane to add new surface wide enough to then move traffic onto the new two inner lanes. once traffic is moved to inner lanes they will do the outer sections.

not sure they need to do same southbound. (the drainage is on northbound side, reducing the width of available road)

But same will happen at Blanch as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Guess no one knows the answer to my question. The Irish never pay attention.....:rolleyes:

Ireland eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

mysterious wrote: »
    Guess no one knows the answer to my question. The Irish never pay attention.....:rolleyes:

I stopped reading after your second sentence.

I've no idea where the recow bridge is.

mysterious wrote: »
    First thing I've noticed is that they should of knocked the two old bridges at the recow and widened them.

You don't use the N7 for commuting me thinks. otherwise you would know what that would have meant for traffic and joined the resistance.... :)

and to get a proper answer ring the planning department. they work in mysterious ways.... ;)

lane painting between Blanch and split at Finglas and north of Finglas and M1 has commenced...

Looks like the switch to inner lanes will happen very soon.

I wish they would wait and split the lane at Blanch at the same time when they realign the mainline. That way the inner lane would be permanent and only need for one more realignment.. but that would be too much to ask...

lane painting between Blanch and split at Finglas and north of Finglas and M1 has commenced...

Looks like the switch to inner lanes will happen very soon.

I wish they would wait and split the lane at Blanch at the same time when they realign the mainline. That way the inner lane would be permanent and only need for one more realignment.. but that would be too much to ask...

thats so right! one alignment would be the key and waiting a while longer for alignment would be no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Does anyone have any idea when the new flyovers and bridges at M1 / M50 roundabout are due for completion? It seems ver vague on the nra website where they mention a rough 2010. I assume the south side portion will be finished after the northside portion.

Also, are they going to open the 3 lanes before this other work is completed? Or are they waiting for it all to be completed first?

just spotted on traffic cams...

M50 north between Finglas works and M1 has been moved to new middle lanes.

Site0Camera89.jpg

thats interesting, quicker than i thought they would move the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

just spotted on traffic cams...

M50 north between Finglas works and M1 has been moved to new middle lanes.

Site0Camera89.jpg

Yeah that happened overnight... They are currently putting cats eyes on a large stretch of the N3-N2 section at the moment, the line painting has all been done, hopefully they will move another large section of the road to the new inner lanes soon.

thats cool is the cats eyes n3-n2 north and south bound? so quiet soon the traffic will be moving a good distance along the new carraigway

here is "official" timetable from m50.ie
    Northbound Carriageway New Traffic Management Scheme

A new traffic management scheme for the northbound carriageway between Junction 5 (N2) and Junction 3 (M1) was implemented on the 11th November. Northbound traffic in this section is now travelling on the newly constructed median lanes. This traffic management scheme will be extended over the coming days to include Junction 6 (N3) and it is intended that by Friday 14th of November all northbound traffic will be travelling on the newly constructed lanes from Junction 6 to Junction 3.

Southbound Carriageway New Traffic Management Scheme

It is planned that the southbound traffic will be diverted onto the newly constructed median lanes between junction 3 and Junction 6 on Thursday 20th November 2008.

another week of pain in the mornings...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

This seems to be moving at a good pace now. When is the M1 junction due for completion?

at least by the end of next week we can all drive on the new median lanes, then the progress on the junctions can start full swing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

ipodrocker wrote: »
    thats cool is the cats eyes n3-n2 north and south bound? so quiet soon the traffic will be moving a good distance along the new carraigway

Only travelled N-bound on this this morning. Im sure they are doing it S-bound too but its dark now, so wont be able to see it on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Also another notice up on M50.ie for the far end of this upgrade. i.e Southern End. Only affecting traffic during the night.

Upgrade works from Friday night the 14th November 2008 for the next two weeks

Night works will commence on the M50 Mainline between J13 Ballinteer Interchange and J14 Sandyford Interchange, North & South Bound to facilitate the construction of the additional third lane. Works will commence at 10pm and finish at 6am.

The first phase of the works will involve closing both south bound lanes on M50 Mainline from 10pm with Traffic being diverted off the mainline at J13 Ballinteer and rejoining the M50 at J14 Sandyford via the on bound ramp. This phase is expected to last one week. On completion of phase one the second phase will commence and involve both North bound lanes being closed from 10pm with traffic being diverted at J14 Sandyford and rejoining the M50 at J13 Ballinteer. Each morning, traffic will be rerouted back on to the M50 by 6am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

This seems to be moving at a good pace now. When is the M1 junction due for completion?

Best check www.M50.ie and www.nra.ie. I'd guess around 18 months, possibly a few months sooner as a lot can be done without interfering with existing traffic flows.

cargo wrote: »
    Also another notice up on M50.ie for the far end of this upgrade. i.e Southern End. Only affecting traffic during the night.

does anyone know the purpose of the closure like why both lanes are closed. i know it says to construct the third lane but what are they doing exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

They're relaying the original two lanes. There's a pdf up on m50.ie that says the mainline construction for phase 2 won't be finished until the summer.

as of today there is a split southbound at Blanch...
    and from aaroadwatch...
    There is a temporary layout on the M50 southbound at J6 Blanchardstown until Friday 5th Dec approx ;

so hopefully in 10 days or so the southbound lanes will be all on new middle section.

guys, get a move on to do same northbound...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Drove the M50 northbound earlier and they are making good progress between J6 (blanch) and J5 (finglas). The third lane is effectively done outside of the junctions.

Steviemak wrote: »
    Drove the M50 northbound earlier and they are making good progress between J6 (blanch) and J5 (finglas). The third lane is effectively done outside of the junctions.

True. my guess is this will be slip lane just between those junctions to reduce merging traffic. Southbound is a few weeks behind in this respect. a longer slip southbound for the N2 merge would help the N2 traffic a lot...

Lets hope they'll remove the split at Blanch soon... Didn't happen on Friday. but who thought it would anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

a longer slip southbound for the N2 merge would help the N2 traffic a lot...

Rang fingal county council about this and they said they request a bigger slip lane last monday and they expect it done shortly.

was I asleep this morning or have they really removed the northbound split at Blanch???
    I'd say they can do southbound by the end of the week (if they really wanted to).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

was I asleep this morning or have they really removed the northbound split at Blanch???
    I'd say they can do southbound by the end of the week (if they really wanted to).

They've removed it alright. It was a lot better this morning than even yesterday morning when it was down to one lane for a stretch.

Today the backlogs didn't stretch back as far as the N4 junction and it was relatively painless getting up to the M1 (relatively speaking)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

* From 10 o'clock tonight until 6am Thurs 11th Dec one lane of the M50 northbound will be closed between J6 Blanchardstown and J5 Finglas. This closure is to facilitate the finishing of the construction of the Third Lane northbound. This lane should be open to traffic by 06:00am tomorrow morning.

:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement