Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

heard on radio its mental

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

That accident has now been cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Ice_Box wrote: »
    25 Minute queue this morning to get off at Finglas from M50 northbound. Will it be like this untill April?

Jeez, I hope not. It's a real pity that the freeflow to N2 northbound was not built with the M50 upgrade in mind. It opened less than 4 years ago, so it's terrible to see it dug up so they can move it left a bit, with motorists now forced back to the lights at the roundabout, adding to congestion of people wanting to go towards Finglas/City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

dcr22B wrote: »
    That accident has now been cleared.

Fairly sure it was still there at 14:30 because I was stuck there!

Have to say that if the incident happened at 12:30 as reported on the news, the traffic management was woefully inadequate, I went onto the M50 from the M1 at 13:30 and it took a full hour to get to Ballymun where all traffic was being diverted off the M50 to. To make things worse, there was a Garda at the top of the slip road preventing traffic from entering the roundabout, forcing all traffic to head towards Ballymun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Just did Sandyford > Firhouse in the pouring rain. The new M50 is seriously susceptible to flooding and standing water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Tragedy wrote: »
    Just did Sandyford > Firhouse in the pouring rain. The new M50 is seriously susceptible to flooding and standing water.

Yeah, noticed quite a bit of surface water on that stretch this evening as well. Granted the rain was savage, but I wonder is the drainage finished yet? They are still working on the stretch that seemed worse affected.

Doesn't seem anything to do with drainage, the water isn't puddling to a side - it's just sitting on the whole road. Noticed between Ballymount and N7 turn off is the same as well.

Doesn't seem anything to do with drainage, the water isn't puddling to a side - it's just sitting on the whole road. Noticed between Ballymount and N7 turn off is the same as well.

Irish roads arn't designed to cope with monsoon type conditions! They don't didn't occur often enough to justify the expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 zamur

When the M50 from Firhouse to Ballinteer, and Ballinteer to Bray was first built, it was surfaced with porous asphalt. So when It rained the water would soak through the top surface and off to the drainage channels at the either side. When they carried out the upgrade, they don’t seem to have surfaced the road with this type of asphalt. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it was either because porous asphalt has lifecycle of approximately 10 years and also when you are laying it, you need to lay the full width of the road in one go - this would have necessitated closing the M50 for long periods at a time - which would have been perfectly feasible - they did it to lift the Luas bridges in. I would say their reasoning was to do with the lifecycle of porous asphalt - seeing as the road is been built on a PPP basis by which the contractor will operate it for 35 years - I don’t suppose he would want to be resurfacing it 3 times during that time!!

It's a shame really because the road was great during wet weather - no splash up form trucks and other cars and it was much quieter too!

Irish roads arn't designed to cope with monsoon type conditions! They don't didn't occur often enough to justify the expense.
    The new sections of the M50 aren't designed to cope with rainy conditions full stop, in my experience.

• Advertisement

The new sections of the M50 aren't designed to cope with rainy conditions full stop, in my experience.

I agree! I predict a lot of accidents over the next few years during rainy conditions - could cost the contractor/engineer who specified the current surfacing a lot of money from insurance claims in the long term!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I agree! I predict a lot of accidents over the next few years during rainy conditions - could cost the contractor/engineer who specified the current surfacing a lot of money from insurance claims in the long term!!

A big +1 to that Zamur.

There is something SERIOUSLY amiss along the stretch from Firhouse-Dundrum.
    The flows of surface water are both heavy and unpredictable and I fail to see how the current setup meets any Civil Engineering safety standards for this type of project.

I wonder who the consultant was ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I wonder who the consultant was ?

Afaik it was Atkins - this would seem to be the case from their website!

http://www.atkinsireland.ie/roads/roads-projects-14.html

From their website:
    Atkins is providing all design services, including roads, bridges, drainage, earthworks, pavement, traffic signage, traffic signalling, lighting, communications, environmental and landscaping.

They were appointed by and are working for the contractor - so I suppose their brief is to save on costs where possible!!

There's dip just as the hill starts rising before the dundrum turn off that is particularly nasty for surface water, if anyone else has noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

I thought Firhouse to Dundrum isn't finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Went through the M1/M50 Interchange this morning and the M1 South to M50 South connector was being lined!!!

Fingers crossed for Monday!!!

Is the opening still going ahead tonight? They were working on the barrier today up on the ramp. Might be the start of some relief at this junction and the knock on effect back up the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

cargo wrote: »
    Is the opening still going ahead tonight? They were working on the barrier today up on the ramp. Might be the start of some relief at this junction and the knock on effect back up the M1.

I thought it was going to be opened last night so I was a bit disappointed when I was driving down the M1 a short while ago.
    However, as you said, they were doing a bit of work on the barrier and they also appeared to be moving a lot of the cones out of the way!
    Fingers crossed

The southbound traffic was appalling this morning and seemed to be backed up to about 3km south of the Balbriggan exit when I was heading up the M1 this morning. :eek:

There was no official confirmation that it was to open today.

Serious flooding on the approach to the slip road inside the cone boundary this morning so I'm assuming that will be sorted ahead of the opening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Any word on when Tallaght-Sandyford will be opening all lanes? I'm sick of spending 10-15 minutes on the slip road just to get on to the M50 in Sandyford!! :mad:

It looks like it could be open pretty soon?

Any word on when Tallaght-Sandyford will be opening all lanes? I'm sick of spending 10-15 minutes on the slip road just to get on to the M50 in Sandyford!! :mad:

It looks like it could be open pretty soon?

If you read back a page or two this was discussed in general terms Dont think any actual dates were mentioned but just a general estimate.

• Advertisement

dcr22B wrote: »
    There was no official confirmation that it was to open today.

Serious flooding on the approach to the slip road inside the cone boundary this morning so I'm assuming that will be sorted ahead of the opening.

It was actually tonight that it was to open. Back about 3 or 4 pages in the topic M50 TM said it had been delayed to this "Monday night" so presumably it will be open in the am if all is still on schedule.

dcr22B, I saw that flooding there last week as well. they were having to pump it off the inside lane / shoulder right where the ramp starts... Hope it's sorted for the opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

@M50TM - or anyone else that knows for sure

Are these new gantries on the M50 and M1 all going to be fitted with Variable Message signs? They all look very heavy duty to me, I'm presuming so? One or two of these between each junction on both motorways would make an unfathomable difference to traffic flow by informing people what to do etc. Would be nice to see the M1 and M50 look exactly as the tunnel does at the minute, driving through that is so easy in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sdonn wrote: »
    @M50TM - or anyone else that knows for sure

Are these new gantries on the M50 and M1 all going to be fitted with Variable Message signs? They all look very heavy duty to me, I'm presuming so? One or two of these between each junction on both motorways would make an unfathomable difference to traffic flow by informing people what to do etc. Would be nice to see the M1 and M50 look exactly as the tunnel does at the minute, driving through that is so easy in comparison.

I think they are designed to be able to take them, but it isn't part of the current plan afaik.

cargo wrote: »
    It was actually tonight that it was to open. Back about 3 or 4 pages in the topic M50 TM said it had been delayed to this "Monday night" so presumably it will be open in the am if all is still on schedule.

It wasn't open as of 10:30pm on Monday night anyway. It did look good to go though, lines and barriers appeared to be finished around the M1 side of it as far as I could tell. There were ongoing works on the M50 side so that was probably just the finishing touches being applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Absurdum wrote: »
    It wasn't open as of 10:30pm on Monday night anyway. It did look good to go though, lines and barriers appeared to be finished around the M1 side of it as far as I could tell. There were ongoing works on the M50 side so that was probably just the finishing touches being applied.

It was open early this morning and I used it for my morning commute. It's not well signposted at the moment, with the result that almost all of the M1 to M50 southbound traffic piled up to the roundabout as usual.

Wibbler wrote: »
    It was open early this morning and I used it for my morning commute. It's not well signposted at the moment, with the result that almost all of the M1 to M50 southbound traffic piled up to the roundabout as usual.

lol I'm not surprised...signposts don't seem to make much impact on the average motorist in any case

It'll be made a lot easier when they open the extra lane from the Airport exit directly to the M1/M50 exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It's definitely open, with a poor bloke holding a big blue sign saying "m50 this way" basically. He's answering motorists queries too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Praetorian wrote: »
    It's definitely open, with a poor bloke holding a big blue sign saying "m50 this way" basically. He's answering motorists queries too!

I think this is a step forward, the guy could double up by selling the Evening Herald in the afternoon!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Absurdum wrote: »
    lol I'm not surprised...signposts don't seem to make much impact on the average motorist in any case

There are probably people who use this route daily who wouldn't take too much notice of signs because they know where they are going. If they aren't following progress updates for the M50 upgrade then it's quite possible that they might not notice that the new free flow slip is open. They should all cop it in a day or two though.

Then there are people who blindly follow their Sat Navs and ignore any signage. They could be using the old roundabout for some time to come (until their Sat Navs get updated).. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement