Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

When will slip road from Ballymun Rd to M50 Southbound be opened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Cionád wrote: »
    When will slip road from Ballymun Rd to M50 Southbound be opened?

This date has still TBC but it will probably be early December

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The temporary layout for the M50 NB at the M1 Interchange has yet to be finalised as key stakeholders, NRA, DAA, HSE, Gardai, Fingal, Dublin City Council etc etc have only got the design so we need time to address issues they may arise but there are still some verge works that are not completed in this area so we may not be able to open 2 lanes to the M1 NB but we will confirm closer to the time

I notice in your list of "stakeholders" you make no mention of road users.....

Road users are mere sheep that get hearded from A - B and back again along these roads.

The roads are for the state to get the sheep moved with the minimum amount of bleeting!

Baaaaa!

edit: forgot to add: and regularly fleeced to fund the state!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I often wonder whether any sense of urgency is felt by the other stakeholders when it comes to progressing work on critical pieces of roadway such as the M50 (other than the penalties for late delivery).

Stakeholders should have some "skin in the game" and so should be made travel to work each day via the congested spots on the M50 at peak time. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's not the M50 contractor's fault that they have been presented with this particular list of stakeholders!

IF we had a proper Dublin Transport Authority with some actual commuting members of the public on the board then we'd have the required representation. The fact M50 commuters are not represented at the stakeholder meetings is symptomatic of a much greater failing of government and there's feck all M50TrafficManagement can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭sk8board

was on the M1 south -> M50South freeflow at 7.30 this morning, and it took longer to get onto and around the freeflow it than a car that was in front of me and ended up using the roundabout!

I was backed up all the way to the airport on-ramp, which was a first

roll on the 2 lanes opening, and better sign posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

sk8board wrote: »
    was on the M1 south -> M50South freeflow at 7.30 this morning, and it took longer to use it thana car thatw as in front of me and ended up using the roundabout!
    any idea why? was it mass confusion at the sight of a road with clear signs telling them what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Absurdum wrote: »
    any idea why? was it mass confusion at the sight of a road with clear signs telling them what to do?

Well their is signs on the overhead gantry,

(Blue) M50 over the left lane, and (gree) N32 over the excising lane.

The M50SB was busy this morning so wouldn't have helped but not sure why it was so bad. They do have a direct lane at the end of the new freeflow slip so their isnt need to merger with traffic coming from the N32.

Davy wrote: »
    Well their is signs on the overhead gantry,

(Blue) M50 over the left lane, and (gree) N32 over the excising lane.

The M50SB was busy this morning so wouldn't have helped but not sure why it was so bad.

agree, the sign posting was more than adequate, and probably too much so, as everyone was moving into the left-hand lane at the same point as the traffic from the airport merges on to the M1S.

also gree re the M50, was unbelievablely heavy this morning, and backed up solid from finglas to the blanch exit southbound. Normally thats a 100kmph run. Perhaps it was a result of closing the 3 lanes under teh banch exit flyovers from 3-lanes to 2 lanes; once I cleared that (at the top of the hill where blanch traffic merges with M50S) it was fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

also gree re the M50, was unbelievablely heavey this morning, and backed up sold from finglas to the blanch exit southbound. Normally thats a 100kmph run. Perhaps it was a result of closing the 3 lanes under teh banch exit flyovers from 3-lanes to 2 lanes; once I cleared that (at the top of the hill where blanch traffic merges with M50S) it was fine

Actually, that has been causing a bot of a slow down at times for some reason. On a side note to that, i noticed the other day, the new overhead bridge for the blanch junction is sitting in the hard shoulder. Its quite a hefty piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Davy wrote: »
    Actually, that has been causing a bot of a slow down at times for some reason.

There were long queues from the slip road onto the N3 RB recently, as I think it was down to one lane for most of it, this was trailing back onto the M50 combined with queue jumpers in lane 1, was causing delays.

Absurdum wrote: »
    There were long queues from the slip road onto the N3 RB recently, as I think it was down to one lane for most of it, this was trailing back onto the M50 combined with queue jumpers in lane 1, was causing delays.

nomally the case, but this morning ther wasn't hardly a sinner all the way up to the junct at blanch, and absolutely no queue back on to the M50S.
    I think its the narrowing of the 3 lanes into 2 for the distance from the Blanch off ramp to Blanch on-ramp.
    added to that a lot of people who get public transport would have got into the car this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

From M50.ie
    Junction 6, N3 Blanchardstown
    19/11/2009 :

Please be aware that traffic restriction will be in place on the N3 overnight on Friday 20/11/09 from 10PM until 10AM the following morning and on Saturday 21/11/09 from 10PM until 10AM the following morning. These restrictions involve reducing the N3 to one lane in each direction in the vicinity of Scott's Roundabout and suspension of the right turn facility at Scott's Roundabout. Traffic exiting Blanchardstown Village wishing to turn right and travel inbound on the N3 will be diverted via the Snugborough interchange. Traffic travelling inbound on the N3 wishing to turn right and enter Blanchardstown Village will be diverted via the M50 roundabout. Please see drawings for details of diversion routes.
    Scotts nighttime
    Blanch Village diversion
    Scotts inbound diversion

and
    Junction 3, M1 (Airport)
    M50 Mainline

From Monday, 23rd November a new Free Flow slip road from the northbound M50 to the southbound M1 will open. This removes the need for M50 northbound traffic wishing to access M1 Southbound to use the M1/M50 roundabout improving journey times for the traveller.

Doesn't say single lane or two lanes.

This weekend there will be major restrictions in and around the N3 interchange. On Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm to 10am there will be an up & over in place on the M50 NB & SB at the N3 Interchange. This is for lifting the large bridge beam that is sitting in lane 1 and causing everybody to slow down.

At the same time there will be restrictions at Scott's roundabout, with only one only lane operational in all directions between 10pm and 10am Friday & Saturday nights. This is for tar works to replace the roundabout with a signalised T junction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Sounds like it's gonna be fun so!!! Thanks for that update. I have to travel through that interchange tomorrow morning so I'll leave a bit earlier than normal. Your updates are much appreciated.

This weekend there will be major restrictions in and around the N3 interchange. On Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm to 10am there will be an up & over in place on the M50 NB & SB at the N3 Interchange. This is for lifting the large bridge beam that is sitting in lane 1 and causing everybody to slow down.

At the same time there will be restrictions at Scott's roundabout, with only one only lane operational in all directions between 10pm and 10am Friday & Saturday nights. This is for tar works to replace the roundabout with a signalised T junction

Further to these details,

The beam that is on the M50 SB at present will be lifted into place tonight. While this is being lifted all traffic will be sent up & over with SB traffic being kept in the auxiliary lane to the old toll plaza. The second beam is in the yard at the old toll plaza and will be reversed up the M50 under a Garda ercort in the 3 closed lanes to the lifting site at the N3. Once the beam has reached the N3 the restrictions to the toll will be lifted. It is hoped to start the first lift at 00:00 and depending on how this goes the second beam may also be lifted. If not then it will be tomorrow night, same closures again 22:00 to 10:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The M1 Turnapin Airport to The M50 Should have 5 weaving lanes not four minus a HS. This is going to cause problems. Since the M1 needs to be widened to 3 lanes, it means that there will be only one lane merging from the Airport. There should be be 3 lanes mainline for the M1 one from the Aiport M1 merge, and a left lane for the M50 merge. Traffic here is already over 110,000 vehicles a day and rising .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

those two beams are n place over the m50 at the n3 junction now.
    just realised how massive they are.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

rameire wrote: »
    those two beams are n place over the m50 at the n3 junction now.
    just realised how massive they are.

Yep, and they look quite daunting from the northbound carriageway due to the angle they face you at as you drive towards them as in this pic:

CD7D385D980842C99BD910F9199D366E.jpg

This pic shows where the bridge will land on the left hand side, it's just taken a bit further back:

199AAE66F88E45ECA1C86AC94C5743C4.jpg

• Advertisement

Junction 3, M1 (Airport)
    M50 Mainline

From Monday, 23rd November a new Free Flow slip road from the northbound M50 to the southbound M1 will open. This removes the need for M50 northbound traffic wishing to access M1 Southbound to use the M1/M50 roundabout improving journey times for the traveller.

its crucial to the success of this junction, that they get this part right.

does this mean there will be 4 lanes open for traffic going M50N from Ballymun -> M1 from tomorrow?

if not, then it sounds like the quickest way to the M1N will be to avoid the left side M50 lanes for the M1 and go up to the roundabout and down on to the M1N that way, which will have reduced traffic now that the M1S free-flow will be in place

will be very interesting to see how it works out. really hope its a success

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

its crucial to the success of this junction, that they get this part right.

does this mean there will be 4 lanes open for traffic going M50N from Ballymun -> M1 from tomorrow?

if not, then it sounds like the quickest way to the M1N will be to avoid the left side M50 lanes for the M1 and go up to the roundabout and down on to the M1N that way, which will have reduced traffic now that the M1S free-flow will be in place

will be very interesting to see how it works out. really hope its a success

I was going M1 northbound today and say the line markings on the M50N -> PT (M1S). I looked as if the 2 lanes merge into one lane where the road is coming downhill before it turns into a single slip lane... (unless the road markings weren't finished halfway down the slope) . But if the 2 lanes don't do all the way down and have two separate merging lanes, I think this is asking for trouble / accidents. Could be wrong, let us know when its open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I was going M1 northbound today and say the line markings on the M50N -> PT (M1S). I looked as if the 2 lanes merge into one lane where the road is coming downhill before it turns into a single slip lane... (unless the road markings weren't finished halfway down the slope) . But if the 2 lanes don't do all the way down and have two separate merging lanes, I think this is asking for trouble / accidents. Could be wrong, let us know when its open.
    The M50N -> PT new free flow is 100% only one lane as you come off the new bridge and join the existing M50 (old M1 as you say).

Couldn't believe it myself when I saw it. There is also no room to make it anything more than one lane based on the positioning of the kerbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The M50N -> PT new free flow is 100% only one lane as you come off the new bridge and join the existing M50 (old M1 as you say).

Couldn't believe it myself when I saw it. There is also no room to make it anything more than one lane based on the positioning of the kerbs.

...not on openstreetmap yet BTW, but one can see from the M1/M50(DPT), where the connector singles down to one lane - but what else can they do, given the short distance to the Coolock Interchange?

From 6am this morning a new layout is in effect at Scott's roundabout on the N3

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

drove though N3 interchange this morning and there was literally no traffic.
    I was later than usual about 8.45 but couldn't believe how good it was.
    Reckon getting rid of roundabout will make huge difference.

Did anyone go through it earlier, interested to see did you find the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Went through it earlier and it was it's usual bad self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

The queue this morning off the M50 NB to the N3 WB stretched over the toll bridge. What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

pc123 wrote: »
    The queue this morning off the M50 NB to the N3 WB stretched over the toll bridge. What is going on?

That was happening quite a bit over the last while when the N3 WB was reduced to 2 lanes. That seemed to have been eradicated once they opened up the third lane again a week or two ago.
    I would assume the main problem this morning was people getting used to the new layout.
    What time was this at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

Between 8.30 and 9 - I'm usually exiting the M50 NB at this time but have never seen it this bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement