Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

celticbest wrote: »
    Hi M50 Traffic MGT,

Can you please answer the query on attachment below with regard to the opening of lanes on Thursday.

Works are still unfinished in this area but one lane will open to two at roughly where you have pointed to

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Not sure if phase 2 applies to the other end, i.e. past ballymount and onwards (heading south), but :eek: the traffic was shocking this morning heading that direction this morning. Took ten full minutes to get from Ballymount to tallaght exit and just say fook this and got off. Havent worked out that direction in a year and half so wasnt expecting that. Is it always that bad for future reference?!
    Yes :mad:

And as Heroditas said you did well to spend only 10 mins. Ramp surf any? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

M50 NB Freeflow to M1 SB to open Thursday morning at 6am
    How will the lanes on the mainline feed into the freeflow slips?

Will we have all M1 N, M1 S, Airport, DPT, City, Coolock & Santry traffic squeezed into lane 1 with lane 2 & 3 for the Malahide road traffic?

Lane 1 already backs up to Ballymun at peek times with just Airport and M1 N traffic, can't imagine what it will be like tomorrow!

I might just have to use the old junction as I think that could work out quicker than the freeflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

chinchin wrote: »

Will we have all M1 N, M1 S, Airport, DPT, City, Coolock & Santry traffic squeezed into lane 1 with lane 2 & 3 for the Malahide road traffic?

Lane 1 already backs up to Ballymun at peek times with just Airport and M1 N traffic, can't imagine what it will be like tomorrow!

I might just have to use the old junction as I think that could work out quicker than the freeflow.

chinchin,

By the looks of previous pictures supplied on the layout of this junction the following lanes will be used when complete,

Lanes 2 & 3 will continue on to the M50 / M1 / N32 RA. Layout seems the same as pre-uprade at this R/A.

Lane 1 & the Auxiliary lane will lead to the new freelow junction. These lanes will in turn split into a total of four lanes - two to the M1 NB & two to the M1 SB.

MGT can you confirm above is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Couldn't agree more, the lane allocation on the M50-NB between the Ballymun and M1 interchanges is a disaster.
    I've raised a few posts on this over the past few weeks. Latest one here, this shows what i'd like to see the lane allocation to be
    Lane allocation should be!!!

Lane 1: Airport/M1 NB
    Lane 2: Airport/M1 NB
    Lane 3: Port Tunnel/City
    Lane 4: N32 EB (Becoming 2 lanes after M1 Exit)

And when the lanes become 5....

Lane 1: Airport/M1 NB
    Lane 2: Airport/M1 NB
    Lane 3: Port Tunnel/City
    Lane 4: Port Tunnel/City
    Lane 5: N32 (Becoming 2 lanes after M1 Exit)
    Please, Please, Please.... M50 Mgt, request this to be changed.

Otherwise a lot of people will continue to use the old roundabout as it will be the quickest rout. The current lane allocations just don't make sense!!!!

• Advertisement

chinchin,

By the looks of previous pictures supplied on the layout of this junction the following lanes will be used when complete,

Lanes 2 & 3 will continue on to the M50 / M1 / N32 RA. Layout seems the same as pre-uprade at this R/A.

Lane 1 & the Auxiliary lane will lead to the new freelow junction. These lanes will in turn split into a total of four lanes - two to the M1 NB & two to the M1 SB.

MGT can you confirm above is correct.

I agree wth the long term layout concerns, but my fear for tomorrow is that they will not open the Aux Lane on the mainline after Ballymun and that we will be left with one lane all the way up until after the freeflow splits from the mainline.

Couldn't agree more, the lane allocation on the M50-NB between the Ballymun and M1 interchanges is a disaster.
    I've raised a few posts on this over the past few weeks. Latest one here, this shows what i'd like to see the lane allocation to be
    Please, Please, Please.... M50 Mgt, request this to be changed.

Otherwise a lot of people will continue to use the old roundabout as it will be the quickest rout. The current lane allocations just don't make sense!!!!

Unfortunately the design was agreed and permanent lining works, and gantry signage is now complete. The issue of lane allocation has been raised by Fingal Co Co and the opening has been delayed until next week. It is hoped it will open permanently with full permanent signage

Unfortunately the design was agreed and permanent lining works, and gantry signage is now complete. The issue of lane allocation has been raised by Fingal Co Co and the opening has been delayed until next week. It is hoped it will open permanently with full permanent signage

MGT,

When next week??

It seems every time this is due to open it is pushed out to the following week, what day is it now due to open next week??

In the meantime is there no possibility of opening the auxiliary lane from Ballymun to the M1 to try to relieve the chaos that is the traffic from Ballymun junction J4, to the end of the M50 J3, that is occurring everyday as of late??

......The issue of lane allocation has been raised by Fingal Co Co and the opening has been delayed until next week. It is hoped it will open permanently with full permanent signage

For me, it seems to be a wise decision to delay, I really was expecting mayhem on Thursday.

If we get a full permanent opening next week from Ballymun onwards we'll at least get to see the freeflows given a chance to work with 2 lane feeding them...... not convinced 2 will be enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

For me, it seems to be a wise decision to delay, I really was expecting mayhem on Thursday.

If we get a full permanent opening next week from Ballymun onwards we'll at least get to see the freeflows given a chance to work with 2 lane feeding them...... not convinced 2 will be enough though.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out with the full opening... I'm curious to see how the M1 north merge will be in the evening rush hour with two lanes feeding it again - I agree with previous posts that maybe 1 lane should have been used for N32, but it is what it is now, and if there were to be any changes to this config it would be much further down the line.

I'm also interested in seeing how the freeflow to DPT will work now we know the two lanes will merge into one before merging with the M1/M50 and N32 slip roads towards Coolock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

oddiot wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how things pan out with the full opening... I'm curious to see how the M1 north merge will be in the evening rush hour with two lanes feeding it again - I agree with previous posts that maybe 1 lane should have been used for N32, but it is what it is now, and if there were to be any changes to this config it would be much further down the line.

I'm also interested in seeing how the freeflow to DPT will work now we know the two lanes will merge into one before merging with the M1/M50 and N32 slip roads towards Coolock.

Coolock?

Coolock?
    The scenic route via Clarehall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

26 minute queue this morning (Thrusday 26th) on M50 nortbound for finglas exit. It was completly clear on N2 inbound onto junction. Maybe timing of lights could be looked at here?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Coolock?

Yeah, I could have worded that one better. By Coolock I meant j2 Santry/Coolock exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ice_Box wrote: »
    26 minute queue this morning (Thrusday 26th) on M50 nortbound for finglas exit. It was completly clear on N2 inbound onto junction. Maybe timing of lights could be looked at here?

The timing has been changed on the N3 exit too by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

M50 north was a disaster this morning.... Someone broke something

Hi again MGT,

Another quick question for you, is there any date set for the opening of Lane 1 both NB & SB under J6 Blanchardstown??

With only 2 lanes open along this stretch major tailbacks have occured over the last few evenings, it was back to J7 Lucan on Tuesday and to the Toll Gantry last night.

Hi again MGT,

Another quick question for you, is there any date set for the opening of Lane 1 both NB & SB under J6 Blanchardstown??

With only 2 lanes open along this stretch major tailbacks have occured over the last few evenings, it was back to J7 Lucan on Tuesday and to the Toll Gantry last night.

Lane 1 SB will be opened up again this weekend which should help traffic although the layout worked well until the rubber-necking started when the beams were erected at the weekend. On the NB side however, the slow lane will be several months because to open this will mean removal of the current gantry signage & erection of all permanent signage from the Toll to the off ramp as it is currently split with 2 lanes in each direction. Once the bridge that is currently under construction at the off ramp is completed, then the permanent signage can be erected and 3 lanes opened fully on the mainline.

The erection of the new bridge at the NB Off Ramp will continue this weekend with Up & Overs in operation at the N3 Interchange both NB & SB from 10pm on Friday night to 10am on Sat morning and the same times on Sat night. This weekend we will place the northern section of the structure on the NB carriageway. As this has to be welded in place, it is very time consuming so the last section will follow next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

. On the NB side however, the slow lane will be several months because to open this will mean removal of the current gantry signage & erection of all permanent signage from the Toll to the off ramp as it is currently split with 2 lanes in each direction.

How can you be involved in traffic management and still think there is such thing as a "slow lane"?:rolleyes::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

....this will mean removal of the current gantry signage & erection of all permanent signage from the Toll to the off ramp as it is currently split with 2 lanes in each direction. Once the bridge that is currently under construction at the off ramp is completed, then the permanent signage can be erected and 3 lanes opened fully on the mainline.

Does this mean that only a single (auxiliary) lane NB will exit for the N3, and that lane 1 will become an exclusively through lane? (at the moment lane 1 traffic is for the N3, which seems at odds with the road markings).

• Advertisement

How can you be involved in traffic management and still think there is such thing as a "slow lane"?:rolleyes::eek:
    I suspect he's (or is used to) communicating to those who don't know the correct naming convention, i.e. most of the motoring population.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Now there is not need for that smartness.
    M50 Mgt has consistently given us valuable information over the past couple of months.... If only other authorities would contribute to this forum so actively.
    Everybody knows exactly what is meant by the "slow lane". There is no need for personalised comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Wibbler wrote: »
    Does this mean that only a single (auxiliary) lane NB will exit for the N3, and that lane 1 will become an exclusively through lane?

Yes, once all the work is done, it'll be the same as the other junctions like the N4 and N7, i.e. the auxiliary lane will exit at the junction and the other three lanes remain on the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Anyone see the massive truck bringing the luas carriage from Sandyford to the RedCow on Wednesday night? Was about 10pm and this massive truck was trying to go down the one laned section. It ran over about 100 cones and left a trail of destruction behind it. Must've been some clean up job

Anyone see the massive truck bringing the luas carriage from Sandyford to the RedCow on Wednesday night? Was about 10pm and this massive truck was trying to go down the one laned section. It ran over about 100 cones and left a trail of destruction behind it. Must've been some clean up job

Slight communications breakdown ther methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Please finish the Dundrum to Tallaght section.

Every morning it's the same, traffic is moving brilliantly up to Dundrum, and then slows to 60km/h as cars merge(no matter how few) and never picks up again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tragedy wrote: »
    Please finish the Dundrum to Tallaght section.

Every morning it's the same, traffic is moving brilliantly up to Dundrum, and then slows to 60km/h as cars merge(no matter how few) and never picks up again.
    Even if there was a estimation on when it's going to be finished, as in an actual date! Every day before I finished work I check AA roadwatch and every day without fail it says ''busy at Ballinteer J13 exit'', which usually means it's backed up to Sandyford!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Even if there was a estimation on when it's going to be finished, as in an actual date! Every day before I finished work I check AA roadwatch and every day without fail it says ''busy at Ballinteer J13 exit'', which usually means it's backed up to Sandyford!

The last M50.ie newsletter said it's scheduled to be finished in January: http://m50.ie/uploads/images/m50ph2s09.pdf

That may have changed given the weather in recent weeks though

This is what M50 traffic MGT posted a couple of weeks ago.
    We are on schedule to have 3 lanes from Firhouse to Dundrum by Christmas, but weather will also have an impact on the stretch. Permanent lining is on-going in the areas where the third lane is completed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

While you're correct and in an ideal world everyone would know this, (as posted above I reckon s/he does anyway), please don't treat people who are here to help like that. M50 has been keeping us regularly updated and things like your post will make them stop posting.

@M50 just curious, do you represent the joint contractors, or the NRA here? Or is there a separate body setup for managing the M50 project?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement