Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Tragedy wrote: »
    Please finish the Dundrum to Tallaght section.

Every morning it's the same, traffic is moving brilliantly up to Dundrum, and then slows to 60km/h as cars merge(no matter how few) and never picks up again.
    The third lane (ie Lane 1-to be) is actually complete and waiting to be opened to traffic, and has been for some weeks.

Far worse imho though is the s/b section, particularly Tallaght to Firhouse which frequently back up to Red Cow and at a stand still at that... Firhouse to Dundrum crawls pretty slowly too in the mornings. It still makes the blood boil thinking back on how little work was done here in the 12 months or so to Sept '09...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

it hasnt been ready for a while.
    it was only lined (paint ) last week, edit 85% is lined.
    there is also a lot of barrier work that needs to be completely.
    99% of the barrier supports are in place.
    about 50% of barriers need to be completed.
    there is also some t-macking required between junction 13 (dundrum/sandyford )and junction 12 ( firhouse ).

under tallaght junction they are working quite rapidly and installing pipework and storm drains at the moment.
    once this is completed and all the above work is completed and the final layer laid under tallaght then all the southern section ( excluding jucntions ) can be opened for traffic.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The M50N freeflow slip to PT layouts

pu11091001.jpg

pu11092001.jpg

So the temporary new freeflow is going to be a single lane, at peak times it looks like the existing roundabout may be quicker.

Would I be correct in saying that the new loops would be subject to night time closures as work continues, I take it that the topcoat laying is weather dependant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

So the temporary new freeflow is going to be a single lane, at peak times it looks like the existing roundabout may be quicker.

Would I be correct in saying that the new loops would be subject to night time closures as work continues, I take it that the topcoat laying is weather dependant.

The M1 SB to M50 freeflow that open last week (or the week before) is single lane and did seem loke it was slower for a few days but now people are getting used to it and it flow nice and steadily. Some time you'd be tempted to shoot up to the old lights / roundabout but in gereral if you watch the traffic you'll be over the freeflow ahead of the old route. (unless you got the light change spot-on)

I reckon this one may be a little slower while people get used to it but will settle down to a nince steady flow. It will still build up at peak times though and as you say may be quicker through the old route. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I was going M1 northbound today and say the line markings on the M50N -> PT (M1S). I looked as if the 2 lanes merge into one lane where the road is coming downhill before it turns into a single slip lane... (unless the road markings weren't finished halfway down the slope) . But if the 2 lanes don't do all the way down and have two separate merging lanes, I think this is asking for trouble / accidents. Could be wrong, let us know when its open.
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    The M50N -> PT new free flow is 100% only one lane as you come off the new bridge and join the existing M50 (old M1 as you say).

Couldn't believe it myself when I saw it. There is also no room to make it anything more than one lane based on the positioning of the kerbs.
    ...not on openstreetmap yet BTW, but one can see from the M1/M50(DPT), where the connector singles down to one lane - but what else can they do, given the short distance to the Coolock Interchange?

After driving past it over the weekeing I have to question the reason for this one more time.

This flyer is going to be the busiest bridge with 5 axle trucks that have to get from the M50 north to the port tunnel. Is it only me that thinks a 2->1 lane merge on a "freeflow" flyerover followed by a mainline merge within 300m or so is not only asking for congestion/tailbacks, but is almost dangerous (given the number of big trucks using that route) Accidents/near misses at that lane merge are bound to happen.

There is enough space to the left to run the two lanes all the way to the M50 mainline with one lane merging with the N32 onslip and an extended merging lane. It is at least 300m to the next gantry and from there another 300m to the exchange. me thinks you could even run a fourth lane linking the onslip and the off slip.

But maybe there is a good reason for that design that I don't see. (Apart from oversight, money saving, etc...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Davy wrote: »
    The M50N freeflow slip to PT layouts

pu11091001.jpg

pu11092001.jpg

These drawings have now been superceeded as this will open under permanent signage. The date has also been pushed back a week and it will be next week before they will open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭sk8board

if you get it right, you can have all the time you need ;)

no pressure, ok? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They appear to have done a massive amount of work at the Sandyford part since Sunday evening!
    All the surface there was surfaced between Sunday evening and last night. It looks almost ready to go at this stage.
    The only major piece of work appears to be the road under the bridge at Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

These drawings have now been superceeded as this will open under permanent signage. The date has also been pushed back a week and it will be next week before they will open

Hi MGT, this is the third or fourth time it's been pushed out by a week, why does this keep happening??

Also is there any possibility that the the second M50N to M1N merging lane can be reopened as this is causing major traffic delays in peak times.

• Advertisement

From what I can see, it appears that they have decided to open it as a finished job, rather than unfinished with works interruptuing traffic at nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Heroditas wrote: »
    They appear to have done a massive amount of work at the Sandyford part since Sunday evening!
    All the surface there was surfaced between Sunday evening and last night. It looks almost ready to go at this stage.
    The only major piece of work appears to be the road under the bridge at Tallaght.

There's still quite a bit of landscaping work to be done at Firhouse. Also, the barriers are not complete (many gaps) and the same applies to the 'soundproofing'. It still looks that it could be on target to open before xmas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    There's still quite a bit of landscaping work to be done at Firhouse. Also, the barriers are not complete (many gaps) and the same applies to the 'soundproofing'. It still looks that it could be on target to open before xmas though.

Very true. however, the posts for the barriers seem to be mainly in place at this stage. Hanging the barriers on them should be relatively straightforward.

Fingers crossed it'll be open in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭jlang

There's been a huge amount of excavation inside the M1/M50 roundabout to the left of the southbound carriageway. The new flyovers are outside the roundabout and the roundabout itself isn't changing so what's going here? Widening? Landscaping?

jlang wrote: »
    There's been a huge amount of excavation inside the M1/M50 roundabout to the left of the southbound carriageway. The new flyovers are outside the roundabout and the roundabout itself isn't changing so what's going here? Widening? Landscaping?

maybe little water features / ponds to increase reduce M1 mainline flooding. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

jlang wrote: »

These ponds will be used to collect the rainwater that falls on the M50 & M1 and let it into the drainage system at a constant rate using a hydro-brake. This avoids large surges of water in times of heavy rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

These ponds will be used to collect the rainwater that falls on the M50 & M1 and let it into the drainage system at a constant rate using a hydro-brake. This avoids large surges of water in times of heavy rainfall

Will you be making these into a nice water feature with a few fountains & lighting at night ??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

celticbest wrote: »
    Will you be making these into a nice water feature with a few fountains & lighting at night ??:D
    What? And give crap drivers something to rubberneck at and cause crashes.

Give it over ;)

celticbest wrote: »

As long as it isn't one like this! :D

As long as it isn't one like this! :D

Managed by the ESB.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Very true. however, the posts for the barriers seem to be mainly in place at this stage. Hanging the barriers on them should be relatively straightforward.

Yeah, but there is no section that you look at and say 'that's fully finished'-I'm bemused by the way the work has been done, i.e. I would have thought that they would have continued on from Ballymount and finished Tallaght-Firhouse and then done Firhouse-Dundrum etc. but I'm no engineer or planner so have no idea why the works were structured/scheduled in the way they were-I'm sure there are good reasons for doing so.....
    Fingers crossed it'll be open in a few weeks!

You bet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

30 minute queue this morning getting off M50 northound at Finglas exit.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Yeah, but there is no section that you look at and say 'that's fully finished'-I'm bemused by the way the work has been done, i.e. I would have thought that they would have continued on from Ballymount and finished Tallaght-Firhouse and then done Firhouse-Dundrum etc. but I'm no engineer or planner so have no idea why the works were structured/scheduled in the way they were-I'm sure there are good reasons for doing so.....

You bet!

I'm not an engineer either, but I suspect a lot had to do with drainage and other indirect services, for example, cables and pipes belonging to others may have needed moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Can I ask a question.....when the M1/M50 interchange is finished, will it be freeflow traffic from the N32 to M1 Northbound? I use this route everyday to get from Coolock to Drogheda.
    Thanks in advance.

no, you'll need to use the roundabout just as you do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

no, you'll need to use the roundabout just as you do now.

Thanks. But should the large tailbacks we sometimes get going from the N32 to the M1 northbound now be a thing of the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I use the same roundabout every day. Because there will be alot less traffic on the roundabout, the tail backs should be reduced significantly. They're already reduced with only 1 slip open. They do however need to look at the timing on the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Praetorian wrote: »
    I use the same roundabout every day. Because there will be alot less traffic on the roundabout, the tail backs should be reduced significantly. They're already reduced with only 1 slip open. They do however need to look at the timing on the lights.

Not certain but from observation I reckon they have already been playing with this light sequence but not for the benifit of the N32 traffic. I think they have taken some of the M1SB - M50SB (no I don't mean towards the PT) time and added it to the lights for the M50MB - PT traffic. I have kept an eye on teh M1SB lights as I've went over the new freeflow flyover and they seem to stay red longer allowing the buildups on the M50 of late to get through better.

So I reckon once the M50NB - PT freeflow is open they will go back and re-adjust everything again.

M50Mgt is the opening of the M50NB - PT freeflow still on for next week? Any date set yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Cargo,

I think you might be right, but they definitely don't have the sequence right for peak hour traffic.

The n32 traffic should be totally prioritised as soon as the other slip opens (next week afaik)as anyone else going from m1/m50 /m50 / m1 is on the roundabout in error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

Just came out of Blanchardstown industrial estate onto the Snugborough road and had to turn back and go back to my desk. :( Traffic is backed all the way up. I'd say it's absolutely stationary up to the M50 bridge. Will try again at 6.30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement