Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The M1/M50/N32 isnt a big problem anymore at all, finglas and blanch exits are really bad. Finglas probably the worst of the two, and its effecting the other lanes big time. Need the N2 freeflow slips back

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

cargo wrote: »
    M50Mgt is the opening of the M50NB - PT freeflow still on for next week? Any date set yet?

It looks like it's getting closer. The slip is now lit. The main gantry has its sign installed too, albeit with the sign above the new lanes greyed out.

oddiot wrote: »
    It looks like it's getting closer. The slip is now lit. The main gantry has its sign installed too, albeit with the sign above the new lanes greyed out.

And the overhead gantry for what will be N32 only traffic is now up. Signs not on it yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭sk8board

Ice_Box wrote: »
    30 minute queue this morning getting off M50 northound at Finglas exit.

go up to Ballymun, and come down the other side to Finglas junct; no queue at all and takes 5min max ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Davy wrote: »
    And the overhead gantry for what will be N32 only traffic is now up. Signs not on it yet though

They just put that sign up overnight, just says Malahide N32. They also are doing some landscaping on the mounds of clay each side of the PT lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭jlang

sk8board wrote: »
    go up to Ballymun, and come down the other side to Finglas junct; no queue at all and takes 5min max ;)
    "Usually" the southbound offramp at Finglas is clear but this wouldn't have worked last night - Finglas roundabout was chocked from town and both offramps had major queues.

Best advice I have is to listen to 103.2 before you need to make a route decision.

They just put that sign up overnight, just says Malahide N32. They also are doing some landscaping on the mounds of clay each side of the PT lanes.

Ye, and its a blue sign. Green would have been more appropriate imho

Anyone know if the M50N - M1S (M50 - clockwise) freeflow will open this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Davy wrote: »
    Ye, and its a blue sign. Green would have been more appropriate imho

Blue is correct though. It's technically a motorway, despite the "N" designation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I find it strange that Malahide is the only place that is on these signs considering the N32 doesn't go there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭jlang

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Blue is correct though. It's technically a motorway, despite the "N" designation.
    Is it not blue because the sign is on the M50 and the status of the N32 is irrelevant to the colour? The signs for Ballymun and Finglas are blue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jlang wrote: »
    Is it not blue because the sign is on the M50 and the status of the N32 is irrelevant to the colour? The signs for Ballymun and Finglas are blue too.

Yeah, all signs on the mainline except at terminal junctions are blue, and the M1/M50 isn't the terminal junction of the M50 (anymore).

Ye i know that, and technically its to the book, but its 15 metres from the roundabout, which will have nothing to do with the M50 or any motorway anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

MYOB wrote: »
    Yeah, all signs on the mainline except at terminal junctions are blue, and the M1/M50 isn't the terminal junction of the M50 (anymore).

But it's the end of the "mainline" in a sense, it's a TOTSO junction, so if the N32 were not a motorway, I think green would be acceptable.

I suppose the N32 is technically motorway as far as the Bewleys roundabout as there are no other routes for traffic to go except to/from the motorways (U turns excpted)

These drawings have now been superceeded as this will open under permanent signage. The date has also been pushed back a week and it will be next week before they will open

in relation to the M50N - M1 freeflow, is this still scheduled to open this week? Doesn't look to me like any markings/linings were moved, so I assume its either still under discussion, or else the lane allocation will be left as is.

If it makes any diff, I went past a half-mile tailback (well back past the Ballymun junct) on the M50N -> M1N off-lane on friday evening and went up to the roundabout, straight through the green lights non-stop on to M1N.

given that the M50S has no 'end' as such (it becomes the M11), the M50N ends abruptly at that N32 roundabout traffic lights. Therefore its crucial to a freeflow system that all the traffic is filtered into individual lanes as soon after the Ballymun on-ramp as possible.

shoving the 4 busiest of the 5 possible routes on the M50N into 2 lanes, while leaving 2 lanes for the lesser N32 traffic is going to be interesting if left like that. (M1N, M1S, Airport, Port Tunnel, N32).

implement it and see if it works. its not the end of the world to change the layout once the tar is there.

also, when will the two lanes of the freeflow for M1S -> M50S be opened, and the roadworks on M1S back to the airport junct removed? It still slows the traffic considerably back to Lissenhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

in relation to the M50N - M1 freeflow, is this still scheduled to open this week? Doesn't look to me like any markings/linings were moved, so I assume its either still under discussion, or else the lane allocation will be left as is.

If it makes any diff, I went past a half-mile tailback (well back past the Ballymun junct) on the M50N -> M1N off-lane on friday evening and went up to the roundabout, straight through the green lights non-stop on to M1N.

given that the M50S has no 'end' as such (it becomes the M11), the M50N ends abruptly at that N32 roundabout traffic lights. Therefore its crucial to a freeflow system that all the traffic is filtered into individual lanes as soon after the Ballymun on-ramp as possible.

shoving the 4 busiest of the 5 possible routes on the M50N into 2 lanes, while leaving 2 lanes for the lesser N32 traffic is going to be interesting if left like that. (M1N, M1S, Airport, Port Tunnel, N32).

implement it and see if it works. its not the end of the world to change the layout once the tar is there.

also, when will the two lanes of the freeflow for M1S -> M50S be opened, and the roadworks on M1S back to the airport junct removed? It still slows the traffic considerably back to Lissenhall.
    All these are still M50.

The M1S was renamed M50 good few years ago.

It's just confusing and wrong to keep referring to it as the M1S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Why is the M50 clockwise and anti-clockwise referred to and signed as North and South?

It makes no sense. Surely the current upgrade would have been a good opportunity to start correcting signs and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

KevR wrote: »
    Why is the M50 clockwise and anti-clockwise referred to and signed as North and South?

It makes no sense. Surely the current upgrade would have been a good opportunity to start correcting signs and the like.
    It actually makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

It actually makes a lot of sense.

...until you realise the M50 includes the Port Tunnel, hence the need for clock and anticlock, or better yet a circle with an arrow like the Berlin rail orbital. Or rename the Port Tunnel M1. Either way the current system is unclear.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    All these are still M50.

The M1S was renamed M50 good few years ago.

It's just confusing and wrong to keep referring to it as the M1S.

I've lived just off the M1 since it opened and travel on it every single day, and I didn't know that

thats definitely my new thing for today, thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

I've lived just off the M1 since it opened and travel on it every single day, and I didn't know that

thats definitely my new thing for today, thanks ;)

the northbound & soundbound signs will continue to exist until the eastern bypass is built providing a full orbital imo. until then we will have to make do with what we have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

The opening dates for this new freeflow is still quite unclear as it is hoped to open this scheme on a permanent basis without any temporary measures. To open it permanently requires audits and take over certs which could take some time. At the moment, an opening before Christmas looks doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I suppose the N32 is technically motorway as far as the Bewleys roundabout as there are no other routes for traffic to go except to/from the motorways (U turns excpted)

Hi dolanbaker,

You can actually access the Clonshaugh Road & Cloghran from the N32, I have never seen any signage with no L-Drivers allowed on this road so I presume that the N32 is not actually motorway????

The opening dates for this new freeflow is still quite unclear as it is hoped to open this scheme on a permanent basis without any temporary measures. To open it permanently requires audits and take over certs which could take some time. At the moment, an opening before Christmas looks doubtful

This is an absolute joke, every week for the past three to four weeks we have been told that it will be opened next week, now we're being told that it will be after Xmas.

The tailbacks at this point are completely ridiculous, why can't the people involved just get there finger out and open this junction for once and for all !!!!

The minimum that should be done in the meantime is the opening of the Auxiliary lane from J4 Ballymun this would allow the 2 lanes going to the M1N to be opened up which would put the junction back to the position it was in before any works were started and which seemed to work fine as there was never a tailback at this point for the M1 merge, the only issue was at the N32 which now seems to have eased.

Come on get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

celticbest wrote: »
    Hi dolanbaker,

You can actually access the Clonshaugh Road & Cloghran from the N32, I have never seen any signage with no L-Drivers allowed on this road so I presume that the N32 is not actually motorway????

It is motorway between the Clonshaugh roundabout amd the M50/M1

jd wrote: »
    It is motorway between the Clonshaugh roundabout amd the M50/M1

Again I have never seen any signage from this point, but common sense would say that this would be motorway. It is similiar to any on ramp as you can only access motorways from this point.

Can anybody confirm this??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

celticbest wrote: »
    Again I have never seen any signage from this point, but common sense would say that this would be motorway. It is similiar to any on ramp as you can only access motorways from this point.

Can anybody confirm this??

Take a look here
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,718348,741348,5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

:mad:This is gone beyond a joke now. Years after the DPT has opened and trucks are queueing to get off M50. As someone else said get the finger out and open the thing!:mad:

• Advertisement

Perhaps they've realised that the lanes approaching the flyover westbound, do need to be revised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement