Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

:mad:This is gone beyond a joke now. Years after the DPT has opened and trucks are queueing to get off M50. As someone else said get the finger out and open the thing!:mad:

The news of the delay is annoying and disappointing, but let's not shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

celticbest wrote: »
    This is an absolute joke, every week for the past three to four weeks we have been told that it will be opened next week, now we're being told that it will be after Xmas.

The tailbacks at this point are completely ridiculous, why can't the people involved just get there finger out and open this junction for once and for all !!!!

The minimum that should be done in the meantime is the opening of the Auxiliary lane from J4 Ballymun this would allow the 2 lanes going to the M1N to be opened up which would put the junction back to the position it was in before any works were started and which seemed to work fine as there was never a tailback at this point for the M1 merge, the only issue was at the N32 which now seems to have eased.

Come on get the finger out.
    :mad:This is gone beyond a joke now. Years after the DPT has opened and trucks are queueing to get off M50. As someone else said get the finger out and open the thing!:mad:
    Wibbler wrote: »
    The news of the delay is annoying and disappointing, but let's not shoot the messenger.

My original post was not meant to get at MGT(sorry if this is the way it was picked up, the information MGT has supplied has been brilliant ! ). I know it's the people above MGT that are telling Him/Her what to post.

The issue I have is with the opening of this junction and the weekly ongoing delay as stated above. Each week over the past three to four weeks we have been told that it will open the following week.

This has now turned into a minimum of 3 more weeks. It is just very annoying to be stuck at this point on the motorway day after day when previous to the works this was one of the only points that actually moved / worked properly before the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Perhaps they've realised that the lanes approaching the flyover westbound, do need to be revised.
    Think they realised that a long time ago..... but hopefully they will now do something about it.
    If this are... I think it's worth waiting to get the Job done correctly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭sk8board

The opening dates for this new freeflow is still quite unclear as it is hoped to open this scheme on a permanent basis without any temporary measures. To open it permanently requires audits and take over certs which could take some time. At the moment, an opening before Christmas looks doubtful

appreciate you're honesty MGT; my Q was kinda loaded, as I figured this might be the case.

By 'to open it permanently', should we assume 'it' is the entire junct, or just that M50N freeflow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

sk8board wrote: »
    appreciate you're honesty MGT; my Q was kinda loaded, as I figured this might be the case.

By 'to open it permanently', should we assume 'it' is the entire junct, or just that M50N freeflow?

To open it permanentely means removal of all temporary TM NB from Ballymun to the M1 Interchange, incl re-opening the second lane on the freeflow to the M1 NB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

45 minute queue this morning on M50 northbound to get off at Finglas exit. New record I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

Ice_Box wrote: »
    45 minute queue this morning on M50 northbound to get off at Finglas exit. New record I think.

People coming from Ashbourne and Monaghan to shop in Dublin?
    (8th December and all that)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I'm very lucky to be able to start early in the morning and leave early in the evening for my commutes. Because of this, I think I miss the very worst of it. Even so, it can be a hell of a mess at the times that I travel too.

I can't blame the traffic management rep who posts here (all information is gladly received), but I have to wonder:

a) whether the planning actually takes into account the total hours that are lost by users of the M50 *every day*, and

b) When obvious problems with flow arise, are they considered worthy of timely resolution.

I know that it's impossible to avoid congestion entirely - it's major road works, but some of the planning seems to have been less that ideal. For example, the ripping up of the N2 exit slip on M50N *at the same time* as the reduction of the M50 to N1N to one lane, seems to me to have been unwise. If these changes had been staggered, then traffic heading north from the M50 would have at least had an alternative, albeit with some detouring. As it stands now, the only choice you have is which queue to sit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hi M50 Traffic MGT

Is the pre-Christmas deadline for the opening/completion of Tallaght-Dundrum still likely to be met and if so, is there any chance that Christmas will come early.....

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Nothing to do with N2 inbound traffic! It's because of the removal of M50N to N2N (outbound) freeflow slip a few weeks back. The majority of cars want to go N2 outbound..
    Its bad at the best of times, any little extra problem and ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

You won't find too many Monaghan people coming to Dublin to shop...!!! Newry and/or Armagh are only 30 mins away from most parts of Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭sk8board

I was travelling M50 sthbound in rushhour; the sthbound off-ramp at the N2 had no traffic on it.

if you're heading into town at the N2 junct, why not try head 2mins up the road to ballymun; go up and over, and come back down to N2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭jlang

This morning there is an unexpected and quite dangerous merge from the M1/M50/N32 roundabout onto the M1 southbound heading for Santry/city/tunnel. Previously the onramp formed an extra third lane but the slip now merges with the "middle" lane due to cones around the painting of the lines at the merge of the fly-around. This leaves a very short merge into full speed M1 traffic. If the completed M50N->M1S lane doesn't open soon, I worry there will be a crash unless the cones are replaced to reallow traffic coming down from the roundabout move directly to the left/third lane.

jlang wrote: »
    This morning there is an unexpected and quite dangerous merge from the M1/M50/N32 roundabout onto the M1 southbound heading for Santry/city/tunnel. Previously the onramp formed an extra third lane but the slip now merges with the "middle" lane due to cones around the painting of the lines at the merge of the fly-around. This leaves a very short merge into full speed M1 traffic. If the completed M50N->M1S lane doesn't open soon, I worry there will be a crash unless the cones are replaced to reallow traffic coming down from the roundabout move directly to the left/third lane.

What time was that? Those overnight works are supposed to finish up at 06:00.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Hi M50 Traffic MGT

Is the pre-Christmas deadline for the opening/completion of Tallaght-Dundrum still likely to be met and if so, is there any chance that Christmas will come early.....

+1, very interested to know this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

jlang wrote: »
    Of course it's M50 -> Port Tunnel (M50), not M1S ;)

I agree however it's dangerous as the current set up. I pulled into the left most lane after the M1/M50 junction heading towards the Santry turnover and low and behold it ended suddenly as it's now a merging lane.

Crazy set up.

Hi M50 MGT, do you have any date yet for the reopening of the Freeflow slip from the M50N to N2/M2N.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

celticbest wrote: »
    Hi M50 MGT, do you have any date yet for the reopening of the Freeflow slip from the M50N to N2/M2N.

Dont think it will reopen. When its back, it will be the new permanent layout and that could be march.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Davy wrote: »
    Dont think it will reopen. When its back, it will be the new permanent layout and that could be march.

Yes, the original slip is already dug up. It's looking more and more like the N2 interchange will be entirely free-flow when everything is finished.

Hi MGT,

Coming onto the M1S at the Airport junction this morning the Auxiliary lane had gone, this lane is now part of the mainline M1S, there was no warning of any new lane layout and I saw a very close call just ahead of me.

Is there any possibility of some signage being put in place to warn of the new layout?

Can you please also confirm when Auxiliary lane 1 will be opened from this junction to the M50S.

• Advertisement

Lights out at N2 Interchange until this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Hi M50 MGT,

Would it possible, on occassions when the southbound off ramp at Tallaght is closed, to have a sign warning of this before the Ballymount exit to allow traffic for whom it better suits to exit there rather than having to drive up to Firhouse and back ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Lights out at N2 Interchange until this evening

so what you are saying is that everyone should use the n2 junction as there will be NO traffic problems due to the lights not being in use.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    so what you are saying is that everyone should use the n2 junction as there will be NO traffic problems due to the lights not being in use.

Lights were out on the Junction 3 and the traffic was moving great yesterday. Traffic was moving at the N2 today with the lights out, but it was before the rush. Was around lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

@ M50 Traffic MGT

Any update on the M50N to M1S ( DPT) opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's probably buried in the thread somewhere but whats teh situation with The Tallaght - Ballymount section? When will the new slip onto the M50 northbound at Tallaght be opened? It looks completely finished but is still coned off.

The full carriageway seems done in both directions but Traffic is still having to merge onto the main carriageway instead of beign able to stay in the slip and back off.

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's probably buried in the thread somewhere but whats teh situation with The Tallaght - Ballymount section? When will the new slip onto the M50 northbound at Tallaght be opened? It looks completely finished but is still coned off.

The full carriageway seems done in both directions but Traffic is still having to merge onto the main carriageway instead of beign able to stay in the slip and back off.

For the Tallaght to Ballymount section, paperwork is at an advanced stage and opening of this short stretch, incl freeflow from the N81 inbound, will happen in the next few weeks. For the Firhouse to Dundrum section, the paperwork has still to be done and also construction is not 100% finished so it will be late Jan / early Feb when this will open

For the Tallaght to Ballymount section, paperwork is at an advanced stage and opening of this short stretch, incl freeflow from the N81 inbound, will happen in the next few weeks. For the Firhouse to Dundrum section, the paperwork has still to be done and also construction is not 100% finished so it will be late Jan / early Feb when this will open
    We are on schedule to have 3 lanes from Firhouse to Dundrum by Christmas, but weather will also have an impact on the stretch. Permanent lining is on-going in the areas where the third lane is completed

Looks like the anticipated Christmas present ain't happening .... ah well - not commuting on M50 anymore.... ;)

Looks like the anticipated Christmas present ain't happening .... ah well - not commuting on M50 anymore.... ;)

M1 interchange was to be finished by year end , but that going to be another bit too :pac:

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    M1 interchange was to be finished by year end , but that going to be another bit too :pac:

True, but that delay has been discussed of late - while since the on track for pre-Christmas announcement for the southern works a few weeks back, this is more of a surprise - well, not really actually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement