Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

For the Tallaght to Ballymount section, paperwork is at an advanced stage and opening of this short stretch, incl freeflow from the N81 inbound, will happen in the next few weeks. For the Firhouse to Dundrum section, the paperwork has still to be done and also construction is not 100% finished so it will be late Jan / early Feb when this will open

This is a big disappointment.

Where is the delay in the paperwork arising?

What remains to be completed on Firhouse-Dundrum-I can't see any construction work short of some landscaping at Firhouse?

What about Tallaght-Firhouse? This always seems to be a 'black hole' in any information given out.

P.S. I do appreciate the updates and don't want to sound like I'm having a go, but the lack of progress in recent weeks is frustrating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Redsoxfan,
    have they actually completed the mainline works under the Tallagh roundabout? (been a few weeks since I stopped communting that way)

I always thought that would be the last bit to finish (took forever to upgrade that bridge for the mainline).

Redsoxfan,
    have they actually completed the works under the Tallagh roundabout? (been a few weeks since I stopped communting that way)

I always thought that would be the last bit to finish (took forever to upgrade that bridge for the mainline).

Not quite, but with a bit of tar and some lining, it looks ready to go. (You should be able to tell by my posts that I'm no engineer!) The concrete barrier has been removed and there are just cones down now (usually a good sign)

The level of activity appears to me to have wound down over the past few days-I wonder is this due to the fact that it doesn't matter when they finish the actual work if the paperwork ain't complete.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's will be so much nicer now sitting in traffic with an empty lane beside me blocked off by cones, all because of some paper work:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    The level of activity appears to me to have wound down over the past few days-I wonder is this due to the fact that it doesn't matter when they finish the actual work if the paperwork ain't complete.

Well one guy said "I think were going too quick, we could be out of a job by christmas", make of that what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    This is a big disappointment.

Where is the delay in the paperwork arising?

What remains to be completed on Firhouse-Dundrum-I can't see any construction work short of some landscaping at Firhouse?

What about Tallaght-Firhouse? This always seems to be a 'black hole' in any information given out.

P.S. I do appreciate the updates and don't want to sound like I'm having a go, but the lack of progress in recent weeks is frustrating to watch.
    Not surprised in the slightest. It's just contemptible at this stage...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's will be so much nicer now sitting in traffic with an empty lane beside me blocked off by cones, all because of some paper work:rolleyes:

Add to that the unmarked vans who put their hazards on and slip in and out of the coned off lanes just to skip ahead in traffic and the motorbikes who use it like a bus lane...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Any word on the Ballymun Rd -> M50 South sliproad opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Cionád wrote: »
    Any word on the Ballymun Rd -> M50 South sliproad opening?

You'll never get an exact date on the opening of any new section or junction.

The usual spiel is it will open next week & then this statement will be repeated over a number of weeks until low and behold it's changed to it's currently being held up due to paperwork and no definitive date for the opening can be given......

O, AND EVERYONE IS SUPPOSE TO BE HAPPY WITH THIS RESPONSE.

Only in Ireland do people just take this, any other country in the world and the main Motorway in the Capital City worked be worked on 24/7 until completion.

This upgrade is turning into a complete joke, not only are we waiting for completed junctions & finished new lanes to open when complete but they also close off existing lanes at junctions for no reason, a prime example of this is the M50N TO M1N Junction 3, were we used to have two lanes coming off we now only have one and this is laid out like a chicane just to confuse somebody not used to using the junction, this in turn slows down traffic, this is even though there are still two lanes in place and the only reason they are not opened is due to paperwork as previously stated by M50MGT.

PS - M50MGT, my little rant above is not directed at you, it is directed at the people in charge of this project who need to get there finger out and finish the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

The M50 NB to M1 NB Freeflow has been restored to 2 lanes. Due to the fact that traffic from the M50 NB has to traverse over 2 lanes to get to this freeflow, it is not possible to open two lanes from the M50 directly to the M1 NB as to push two lanes side by side over permanent markings would result in collisions. Another option would be to use some sort of centre-line delineation which would greatly slow down traffic. Hopefully the current layout, where two lanes are opened as early as possible will greatly improve traffic on the M50 NB from Ballymun this evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hopefully the current layout, where two lanes are opened as early as possible will greatly improve traffic on the M50 NB from Ballymun this evening

It was moving well this evening at 5pm, the merge onto the M1 NB is still a disaster waiting to happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭sk8board

Absurdum wrote: »
    It was moving well this evening at 5pm, the merge onto the M1 NB is still a disaster waiting to happen :pac:

yeh, I use it every evening, the short merge on to the M1N is a real white-knuckle ride ... will I slow down or speed up this evening, and which one will lead to my death ... without a doubt its the toughest merge in the State, and not for the faint-hearted.

The M50 NB to M1 NB Freeflow has been restored to 2 lanes. Due to the fact that traffic from the M50 NB has to traverse over 2 lanes to get to this freeflow, it is not possible to open two lanes from the M50 directly to the M1 NB as to push two lanes side by side over permanent markings would result in collisions. Another option would be to use some sort of centre-line delineation which would greatly slow down traffic. Hopefully the current layout, where two lanes are opened as early as possible will greatly improve traffic on the M50 NB from Ballymun this evening

I have to ask, isn't this how the approach will work when completed in it's current (designed) configuration, is the layout being redesigned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Hi MGT,

Why is there such a delay in the opening of the Auxiliary lanes along the whole northern end of the M50??

If these lanes were opened it would greatly reduce the hold up at each junction as three lanes will be in use on the mainline at all times instead of the current situation were lane one ends up as a queuing lane for junctions eg. Finglas, Ballymun.

As others have already stated, the M50 NB to the M1 layout is a bit skewed, in the current design the majority of traffic would have to change lane.

A better option would be to, from the Ballymun northbounf exit slip:
      have the two left lanes go directly to the N1 north (left most split for the airport) the two right lanes go directly to the port tunnel flyover, where the width increases for the fith lane this will diverge from the right hand side of the fourth lane, it then splits in two for the roundabout.
    A layout like this will reduce weaving considerably.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

celticbest wrote: »
    You'll never get an exact date on the opening of any new section or junction.

The usual spiel is it will open next week & then this statement will be repeated over a number of weeks until low and behold it's changed to it's currently being held up due to paperwork and no definitive date for the opening can be given......

O, AND EVERYONE IS SUPPOSE TO BE HAPPY WITH THIS RESPONSE.

Only in Ireland do people just take this, any other country in the world and the main Motorway in the Capital City worked be worked on 24/7 until completion.

This upgrade is turning into a complete joke, not only are we waiting for completed junctions & finished new lanes to open when complete but they also close off existing lanes at junctions for no reason, a prime example of this is the M50N TO M1N Junction 3, were we used to have two lanes coming off we now only have one and this is laid out like a chicane just to confuse somebody not used to using the junction, this in turn slows down traffic, this is even though there are still two lanes in place and the only reason they are not opened is due to paperwork as previously stated by M50MGT.

PS - M50MGT, my little rant above is not directed at you, it is directed at the people in charge of this project who need to get there finger out and finish the job.
    Please direct the above at Joe Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

* Important Information for M50*

All temporary traffic manangement will be removed from the M50 Northern Cross tomorrow night / Saturday morning with the exception of the unfinished N2 & N3 Interchanges. The M50 will now be three lanes at interchanges with an additional auxiliary lane between interchanges. All permanent signage and road markings will then come into effect and all temporary signage will be removed. All freeflows will be operational at the M1 Interchange and Ballymun. It will take some time for all road users to get used to the new layouts so caution is advised over the weekend and into next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

All temporary traffic manangement will be removed from the M50 Northern Cross tomorrow night / Saturday morning with the exception of the unfinished N2 & N3 Interchanges. The M50 will now be three lanes at interchanges with an additional auxiliary lane between interchanges. All permanent signage and road markings will then come into effect and all temporary signage will be removed. All freeflows will be operational at the M1 Interchange and Ballymun. It will take some time for all road users to get used to the new layouts so caution is advised over the weekend and into next week

Typical... I finish work on Friday so wont be using this junction till next year... :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

good news indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

is the limit going up to a hundred then?

• Advertisement

is the limit going up to a hundred then?

It wouldn't be a work site any more so wouldn't be a problem. I think the freeflow slip will be 50kph though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

unklerosco wrote: »
    Typical... I finish work on Friday so wont be using this junction till next year... :p:p

Great job you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Great job you have!

I wish... They work u till 5.30 on xmass eve. Been saving up me holidays to have a proper xmass

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

The opening dates for this new freeflow is still quite unclear as it is hoped to open this scheme on a permanent basis without any temporary measures. To open it permanently requires audits and take over certs which could take some time. At the moment, an opening before Christmas looks doubtful

So you manged to get it opened before Christmas after all - fair play to you. But I assume the soon to be permanent M50N - M1 layout is as before or has it been revised?

Btw, can someone post a current N2 layout drawing?
    When are N3 and N2 interchanges due to be opened?

I saw new signs in the gantries at Tallaght and Firhouse this morning-I haven't seen this type in Ireland before-small sqaure signs over each lane indicating 'M50' or 'N81 only' etc. A good idea as they are probably clearer than the larger signs with the arrows etc.

Very little work going on at the Tallaght-Dundrum stretch for the past week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

So you manged to get it opened before Christmas after all - fair play to you. But I assume the soon to be permanent M50N - M1 layout is as before or has it been revised?

I would say there is many months work left to be done on N3 - probably Q3/4 2010. Sure there's still a ton of earthworks to be done on M50 NB stretch before N3 exit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

That's great news! :) - One question though: The section of M50 (N1) between J2 Coolock and J3 Turnapin is clearly WD3 in spec - as per the original plans, it was to be D4 or WD4. Would you have any information on why this is the case? In any case, I thought that 4 lanes each way were going to be squeezed in on the existing road space (by the looks of things recently) :(, but I'm glad it wasn't done - it would look so lousy! The current set-up looks fine, except that the filter off the SB entry slip from the N32 looks almost non-existent!

Anyway, looking forward to Monday when I'll see the finished product on the M1 towards the DPT! :) We'll also have an M9 to Carlow and an M6 almost to Galway by that time. Great news all round on the roads front :) – though not the jobs front! :(

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Bet you enjoyed typing that update. Great news. :D

The only issue I still have is the land allocation on the M50NB from the Ballymun Junction to M1 Junction. There has been plenty of posts on it.....This needs revising!!! Hope somebody has the bottle to say "We made a mistake, lets fix it!!".

Thanks for all the updated M50Mgt...... Happy Christmas!!! :D:):D:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

The only issue I still have is the land allocation on the M50NB from the Ballymun Junction to M1 Junction. There has been plenty of posts on it.....This needs revising!!! Hope somebody has the bottle to say "We made a mistake, lets fix it!!".

Any change would have to be retro fitted at this stage. It'll be interesting to see how the evening rush hour works with this layout.

• Advertisement

Not much to see at the N2. Will be march or april before its done. They have the concrete supports in for the freeflow bridge.

The N3 has made good progress on the castlenock side. Think most the bridge supports are in too for over the river and train line. Not much has advanced on the slip from the m50NB towards the city. Where the new mainline crossing over the m50 carriageways is in good shape.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement