Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Davy wrote: »
    Not much to see at the N2. Will be march or april before its done. They have the concrete supports in for the freeflow bridge.

The N3 has made good progress on the castlenock side. Think most the bridge supports are in too for over the river and train line. Not much has advanced on the slip from the m50NB towards the city. Where the new mainline crossing over the m50 carriageways is in good shape.

I know that there is not much to see at the moment. I'm curious how the new layout is meant to be like. As the photomontage on m50.ie is not current by any means.
    At least some updated N3 drawings made it into the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Not much to see at the N2. Will be march or april before its done. They have the concrete supports in for the freeflow bridge.

The N3 has made good progress on the castlenock side. Think most the bridge supports are in too for over the river and train line. Not much has advanced on the slip from the m50NB towards the city. Where the new mainline crossing over the m50 carriageways is in good shape.

I saw a very large sarens crane in place there (N3) the other day when I was coming through the junction to go M50SB. I reckon it was lifting beams into place somewhere around the rail/canal crossing. I went off in the other direcion and couldn't take my eyes off the traffic at the time. Looked like the setup fpr a heavy lift anyway as there was a second largeish crane setting out at the time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Blue is correct though. It's technically a motorway, despite the "N" designation.

On this, why are old the old signs green for the N32. The ones at the side of the mainline before the roundabout, and the ones on the roundabout are all green?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

* Important Information for M50*

All temporary traffic manangement will be removed from the M50 Northern Cross tomorrow night / Saturday morning with the exception of the unfinished N2 & N3 Interchanges. The M50 will now be three lanes at interchanges with an additional auxiliary lane between interchanges. All permanent signage and road markings will then come into effect and all temporary signage will be removed. All freeflows will be operational at the M1 Interchange and Ballymun. It will take some time for all road users to get used to the new layouts so caution is advised over the weekend and into next week

If anyone's interested, I see that this did not go ahead, all traffic lanes are as they have been in recent weeks. I would guess this will be status quo until sometime in January.

oddiot wrote: »
    If anyone's interested, I see that this did not go ahead, all traffic lanes are as they have been in recent weeks. I would guess this will be status quo until sometime in January.

Maybe tonight, after all it's just a case of removing a few thousand cones.

• Advertisement

Still some steal work to go up southbound before finglas, and all the coverings to be removed of the arrows and names on the overhead gantries. Plenty of genies around for this, but they will have to be taken away on low loaders also

Still some steal work to go up southbound before finglas, and all the coverings to be removed of the arrows and names on the overhead gantries. Plenty of genies around for this, but they will have to be taken away on low loaders also
    Haven't they finished yet! I thought after that announcement that all of this was done....

Any idea if the new layouts around Ballymun - M1 were opened last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

On this, why are old the old signs green for the N32. The ones at the side of the mainline before the roundabout, and the ones on the roundabout are all green?

Why is there hunger in the world? Correct signs are the exception in Ireland, not the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

cargo wrote: »

No, drove it this morning. All cones still in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

No, and M50N to M1S not open either even though according to M50 Traffic MGT it was to open fri night. sat morn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭sk8board

neither M50N - M1N nor M50N - M50S were open tonight either. certainly looks ready, just removing the cones. Theres no construction vehicles to be seen anywhere along that section.

sk8board wrote: »
    neither M50N - M1N nor M50N - M50S were open tonight either. certainly looks ready, just removing the cones. Theres no construction vehicles to be seen anywhere along that section.

Why the delay?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Why the delay?????????

Paperwork ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Why the delay?????????
    Probably off looking for M50N -> M1S.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Bluetonic wrote: »

LOL

anyone any update on when it'll happen? Passed earlier and there was a roadseeper on the NB section and one or two engineers taking photo's etc sop looks like it was gearing up for an opening alright. Possibly tonight?

I don't know about any updates as it appears that the person who updates the M50 website has gone on holiday. is working late!

anyone any update on when it'll happen? Passed earlier and there was a roadseeper on the NB section and one or two engineers taking photo's etc sop looks like it was gearing up for an opening alright. Possibly tonight?

Dont think it will be tonight. I noticed they put the overhead signs up at junction 5 going northbound, but failed to cover the lane arrows so its noe indicating their is 5 lanes, where coming up to junction 5 southbound both overhead signs aren't even put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

I also saw a road sweeper this a.m. on the NB section. But I think this opening will be deferred until the new year as I'm guessing someone cancelled it last minute on Friday during ongoing poor weather conditions.

• Advertisement

Well M50N to M50S makes no sense so i will continue to refer to the junction as the M50 Northbound to M1 Southbound. BTW this is not afterhours so keep your snide remarks to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Maybe road names could be multiplexed as happens in the States.

eg SR1 coexists with US101 in California.

So we could have M1/M50 coexisting from the port tunnel to the m50/M1 junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Well M50N to M50S makes no sense so i will continue to refer to the junction as the M50 Northbound to M1 Southbound. BTW this is not afterhours so keep your snide remarks to yourself

Using the wrong name for a road is unlikely to gain us any clarity. But yes, the direction-naming conventions on the M50 are a mess. What about clockwise and anticlockwise?

Well M50N to M50S makes no sense so i will continue to refer to the junction as the M50 Northbound to M1 Southbound.
    It certainty makes no sense referring to a road which does not exist. I will continue to correct you in the hope you will review your position.

In the mean time don't get a job doing sat nav voice overs, and lighten up.

mackerski wrote: »
    What about clockwise and anticlockwise?
    It's much easier to say travelling on the M50 from J3 towards J2 (J4 to J2, or any combination), or alternatively from J2 towards J3 I would have thought.

Those descriptions are pretty self explanatory, junction number increasing indicate one direction, decreasing the other direction.

It certainty makes no sense referring to a road which does not exist. I will continue to correct you in the hope you will review your position.

In the mean time don't get a job doing sat nav voice overs, and lighten up.

Came out of the Port Tunnel today northbound on M1 then entered M50, turned around at Ballymun and went Northbound on M50 then went Southbound on M1 back into Port Tunnel. Pity the new M50 North to M1 South was not open!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

i will always think of the road from whitehall church to the m50 /n32 /m1 junction as the m1 motorway.

im from the area and everyone i know from the area recognises and calls it the m1.
    its just ingrained in our minds, as we grew up with it like that.

another one i cant get my head round is the m50 junction 13 and 14.

to me junction 14 is leopardstown
    and junction 13 is sandyford and dundrum.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

rameire wrote: »
    another one i cant get my head round is the m50 junction 13 and 14.

to me junction 14 is leopardstown
    and junction 13 is sandyford and dundrum.

Yeah-the roundabout at the top of the slip at J14 leads onto Leopardstown Road

Anyway, I'd rather see the lanes open and then argue about what the signs should say.

Came out of the Port Tunnel today northbound on M1 then entered M50, turned around at Ballymun and went Northbound on M50 then went Southbound on M1 back into Port Tunnel. Pity the new M50 North to M1 South was not open!
    Don't tell me, you were in the fast lane as well.

I understand it must be embarrassing now you've taken a stand but as you know the road you described does not exist, regardless of whats going on in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

Why on earth did you do that?
    Did you leave your sambos at Dublin Port?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement