Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Ice_Box wrote: »
    * From 10 o'clock tonight until 6am Thurs 11th Dec one lane of the M50 northbound will be closed between J6 Blanchardstown and J5 Finglas. This closure is to facilitate the finishing of the construction of the Third Lane northbound. This lane should be open to traffic by 06:00am tomorrow morning.
    :eek:

Which will mean the queue starts further north.. when 3 lanes merge into 2 at Finglas... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Which will mean the queue starts further north.. when 3 lanes merge into 2 at Finglas... :-)

Me gets off at finglas. :D

Me gets off at finglas. :D

me too.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Is the third lane actually opening or just finalising it??

fletch wrote: »
    Is the third lane actually opening or just finalising it??

Its open all-right. And moving well.

• Advertisement

some update on the southern section...

Highlight updates on junctions and progress.. (graphics and lots more text in the link...)
    N81 Junction No 11:
    Works will include the construction of a new free-flow sliproad from the N81 eastbound to M50 northbound and the upgrade of the existing Northbound On-ramp to 2 lanes. All other traffic movements will remain the same.

"New" Scholarstown-Firhouse Junction No 12:
    The reconfiguration of the existing bridge to three lanes travelling in an eastern direction and a one way cyclist/pedestrian lane
    ■ the construction of a new three lane bridge to carry traffic in a western direction
    ■ The construction of a new one way pedestrian/cyclist bridge to the south of the existing structure.

Sandyford Junction No 14
    The upgrade to the Sandyford Junction includes the construction of three new free-flow left-turning slip-roads in the Northwest, Southwest and Northeast quadrants.

Progress to Date
    At present works are well under way on the construction of the widening of the existing M50 mainline to facilitate the addition of the third lane in both directions. This part of the works in the Southern Section (between N81 and J14 Sandyford) is expected to be completed in March 09 after which traffic will be rerouted onto the newly constructed lanes which will facilitate

3-4 month or so before traffic will flow on newly constructed lanes.. Three month of island diversion and broken down cars in isolated single lanes - I can feel the pain already.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/images/roads/M50%20Phase%202%20Info%20Sheet11122008.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

* From 10 o'clock tonight until 6am Thurs 11th Dec one lane of the M50 northbound will be closed between J6 Blanchardstown and J5 Finglas. This closure is to facilitate the finishing of the construction of the Third Lane northbound. This lane should be open to traffic by 06:00am tomorrow morning.

:eek:

any update when 3 lanes will be open southbound from finglas to blanchardstown??

ipodrocker wrote: »
    any update when 3 lanes will be open southbound from finglas to blanchardstown??
    Coming southbound the other day, I would say that there is still a considerable amount of work still to do. A couple of weeks at least!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A bit of a bump here but it doesn't warrant a new thread.

Does anyone know why they placed the cat's eyes to the left of the white line on the right-hand-side of the over-taking lane on the M50?

I would always automatically drive towards the right side of the over-taking lane to leave me reaction time if anything happens to my left. Because of my natural driving lane position find myself subconsciously driving over them causing the frustrating bump, bump, bump, etc. Now I know I'll have to adjust my driving to avoid them and drive in the middle of the lane but I've never seen them installed like this anywhere, anyone throw some light on this for me? Hope ye know what I mean.

A bit of a bump here but it doesn't warrant a new thread.

Does anyone know why they placed the cat's eyes to the left of the white line on the right-hand-side of the over-taking lane on the M50?

I've noticed that as well, some sections of motorway have the cats eyes to the left of the line and some have them to the right, both on the central median and the hard shoulder.
    Drive along the M4 & M6 and they change positions several times on the route, depending on who constructed the road. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

i've seen this n new motorways about the country too, maybe the cateyes are placed before the lines are marked, needing them to be offline.

anyhow,Has phase 1 finished or has a finish date been announced?

3rd lane M50 south from Finglas to Blanch due to open in the morning...

link to m50.ie
    From 6:00 AM Friday 30th January 2009, There will be a change to the Traffic management Layout. A new third lane will be opened between Junction 5 (N2) and Junction 6 (N3) on the southbound carriageway.

That should help easing the N2 chaos and the M50 south tailbacks due to the N2 merge.

3rd lane M50 south from Finglas to Blanch due to open in the morning...

link to m50.ie

That should help easing the N2 chaos and the M50 south tailbacks due to the N2 merge.

Thats great news. Should make a difference to that dreadful junction. a 30 minute queue is not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

works on phase 2 of the m50 started roughly one year ago now

i think they seem to be moving along quite well certainly when you compare how phase 1 went (still going actually)

any thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well the North section seems to be progressing quickly. The South section seems to be progressing at a snail's pace though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I think the lesson learnt was to get the mainline widened asap and fix the junctions later - the 3 lane sections from blanch to finglas seem to be much freer flowing in semi-peak times I've been on them since they were widened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I drove from Park West to the airport car park in 30 minutes last Friday at 3.30pm, and half that time was spent getting onto the motorway. I had driven the same journey on the M50 the previous day (before the widening) at 10am and it took longer to navigate the Blanch to Finglas section despite being offpeak.

And then I spent 50 minutes in a queue to get through airport security. Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

ciaran75 wrote: »
    works on phase 2 of the m50 started roughly one year ago now

i think they seem to be moving along quite well certainly when you compare how phase 1 went (still going actually)

any thoughts??

A couple the section worked on during phase 1 had major work going on at J7 and at J9 so it's understandable that might have taken longer. I think they tried to ut too many eggs in the one basket and the constractors for phase 2 probably learnt the lesson from them. It'll be interesting to see if J6 takes as long to complete as J9 because from the plans it looks far more elaborate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The widest section of motorway seems to me, is the Blanch to the M1 am i right? The median does seem wider than the western parkway:confused:

Am I correct?
    I would love if they bulldozed the old redcow bridges and make it four lanes underneath and have a fifth auxillary lane from their to thr M1:D

But If I had my way...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mysterious wrote: »
    I would love if they bulldozed the old redcow bridges and make it four lanes underneath and have a fifth auxillary lane from their to thr M1:D
    Might be a bit too soon to be talking about this, but what about a 5th lane (2nd auxiliary lane) between N4 and N7? There's enough space at the verges. Could we see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

I can't find where I read this, but I definitely read somewhere that the Ballymount/Greenhills bridge -> Sandyford section was going to be under construction until From Feb 08 to Feb 24th 09. Can't find it on m50.ie

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Does anyone understand the new junction between the N3 and M50? The mocked-up designs on the M50 website are not very illuminating. Is there a better description somewhere?

Godge wrote: »
    Does anyone understand the new junction between the N3 and M50? The mocked-up designs on the M50 website are not very illuminating. Is there a better description somewhere?

Have a look at some of the other M50 threads here (or Infrastructure), I know at least one links to some high quality proposed layouts, just not sure which thread it is.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Might be a bit too soon to be talking about this, but what about a 5th lane (2nd auxiliary lane) between N4 and N7? There's enough space at the verges. Could we see it?

My plan would be retrofit the Redcow bridges to allow Four lanes each and facilitate the current loop slips. The stupid **** head planners built the new bridges to narrow again:mad:. The redcow section is the narrorest cross section of the M50.Yet the shower of handicappers built the bridge with according to the old bridge with adjacent to the old heap of crap.

Horray to the irish planning system.

Then I would have three lanes and 2 auxillary lanes from N7 to N4.
    Same with treatment with N4 interchange, three lanes + auxillary lane under the bridge.

Westlink new bridge slip added on the left lanes to facilitate the N4 to North M50 bound movement as a separate lane. Then 400 metres into the merge I would turn the HS into an auxillary lane.
    Then the new bridge slip then turns to an Auxillary lane for Blancherstown only.

After that there should be 2 auxillary lanes and three running lanes onto the M1 interchange. I would also dig up the Proposed M1 heap of crap and build a proper free flowing interchange with half the cost they are using at present.

Then I would build a tunnel at Longmile and link this tunnel directly with the south circular, Davit road and the city centre at Edward/High street. This would allow traffic from the city to avoid the heavy congestion at Longmile, inchicore and Turnpike(the road they never fixed in this upgrade) Also I'm up for the East link tunnel. Once our motorway network is integrated we can finally have traffic circulating around the city and taking more and more traffic away from the liffey quays and conjested through roads.

Then the focus would be public transport as the motorway network is intergrated.

http://www.m50.ie/index.php?page=traffic-layout-changes
    Junction 12, Scholarstown (Firhouse)

Traffic Layout Change From Wednesday 18th February 06.00am there will be a change to the traffic layout on the Southbound carriageway between Junction 12 Firhouse and Junction 14 Sandyford. The new layout will divide the traffic creating an Island site. Both lanes will continue along the M50 Southbound. Traffic wishing to access Junction 13 Ballinteer/Dundrum and Junction 14 Sandyford must do so via Lane 1 (Left lane).

lets hope its not an island solution from J12 all the way to J14..? that would be just nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

http://www.m50.ie/index.php?page=traffic-layout-changes

lets hope its not an island solution from J12 all the way to J14..? that would be just nuts.

It certainly sounds like it, that's going to cause absolute mayhem tomorrow morning.

The new M1 interchange is just plain horrible.. UGH

It's just nasty to look at on maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

mysterious wrote: »
    The new M1 interchange is just plain horrible.. UGH

It's just nasty to look at on maps.

It's pretty ugly alright, but it's well designed for the job it has to do. Hopefully the N32 roundabout can have the traffic lights removed when it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

It certainly sounds like it, that's going to cause absolute mayhem tomorrow morning.

Traffic issues worse than usual this morning alright.

There didn't seem to be much advance warning (on traffic reports the previous evening or that morning IIRC) of the extension of the split in the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

At least they're working on this stretch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement