Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

* Important Information for M50*

All temporary traffic manangement will be removed from the M50 Northern Cross tomorrow night / Saturday morning with the exception of the unfinished N2 & N3 Interchanges. The M50 will now be three lanes at interchanges with an additional auxiliary lane between interchanges. All permanent signage and road markings will then come into effect and all temporary signage will be removed. All freeflows will be operational at the M1 Interchange and Ballymun. It will take some time for all road users to get used to the new layouts so caution is advised over the weekend and into next week

Hi M50MGT,

Any update on why above did not happen / when is it going to happen???....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Why on earth did you do that?
    Did you leave your sambos at Dublin Port?

No was going home to get my sambos and realised i forgot my keys and had to go back to the port to get them

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Don't tell me, you were in the fast lane as well.

I understand it must be embarrassing now you've taken a stand but as you know the road you described does not exist, regardless of whats going on in your head.

You being "the expert" should know that theres no fast lane but an overtaking lane! ;)

Like another poster, I too have lived beside the M1 ( Coolock interchange northwards ) for many many years and will continue to refer to it as the M1 as it makes more sense.
    Build a bridge and get over it...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

You being "the expert" should know that theres no fast lane but an overtaking lane! ;)

Like another poster, I too have lived beside the M1 ( Coolock interchange northwards ) for many many years and will continue to refer to it as the M1 as it makes more sense.
    Build a bridge and get over it...:D

I know I feel the same, I will always call the Dublin Airport road the M1, it will never be known as the M50 in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Hopefully by next Christmas the disaster that is the N3 exit off the M50 northbound will be a dim and distant memory. No more paying a toll to sit in seemingly endless traffic in the middle of the afternoon of December 22nd.

And a pox to all those that slip into the inside two lanes at the last minute. And to those saps that let them.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Well there's work going on as I speak southbound between M1 interchange and J5 Finglas, with lane 1 cordoned off. I noticed this morning for the first time a new overhead sign (probably VMS?) between Ballymun and the M1 interchange. It's half width in that it only goes over two of the final 4 lanes.

They are installing two more of these on the southbound carriageway, one between M1 and Ballymun, and the other between Ballymun and Finglas.

Doesn't look like they're gearing up to do anything else tonight though, but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

celticbest wrote: »
    Hi M50MGT,

Any update on why above did not happen / when is it going to happen???....

Might be in for a treat tomorrow morning :D

Davy wrote: »
    Might be in for a treat tomorrow morning :D

???? Have you heard something we haven't ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Those short gantries on the N2 to M1 section look to be in plpace on both sides now. Perhaps the delay was because they wanted to work on these before the full opening. Hopefully it'll happen now.

cargo wrote: »
    Those short gantries on the N2 to M1 section look to be in plpace on both sides now. Perhaps the delay was because they wanted to work on these before the full opening. Hopefully it'll happen now.

I get the feeling that someone didn't think it wise to open it because of something trivial, e.g. the council road gritters not wanting to add extra lanes to their gritting routine over the xmas. I see the M50N to PT slip was very white this morning when I was passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

It is worth pointing out that the delay isn't really causing all that much hardship. Traffic from M50 to Port Tunnel seems to be quiet, hopefully just because of time of year. But there have been no delays from Ballymun to M1/M50 or on the N32 any time for me in the last week or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Don't suppose any further work was done over the quiet period? Passed through the M[1 junction once or twice in the last few days and no further progress there anyway. Not sure about the southern sections

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

cargo wrote: »
    Don't suppose any further work was done over the quiet period? Passed through the M[1 junction once or twice in the last few days and no further progress there anyway. Not sure about the southern sections

LOL. No. I drove N4-Leopardstown on December 30th and nothing has changed since December 23. I'm not surprised really given the holidays and the weather. Sure how would you get any paperwork done in those conditions?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    LOL. No. I drove N4-Leopardstown on December 30th and nothing has changed since December 23. I'm not surprised really given the holidays and the weather. Sure how would you get any paperwork done in those conditions?

I doubt anything further will open until temps return to above zero at night.

Its almost January 5th. Lets get the M1/M50 freeflows open

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pretty laughable how little has been done in the last month.

Pretty laughable how little has been done in the last month.

I suspect that the contractors had a "freeze" on all changes in traffic management leading up to the christmas period just in case anything came up that required (very costly) work to be done during the holidy break.

Have they started back yet!

M50MGT a statement please . This is a joke now. I can see a news item in the next few days.

Just had a quick look at www.M50.ie and it hasn't been updated since the 22.12.2009, that's a full two weeks, this is absolutely ridiculous!

http://m50.ie/

Have they started back yet!
    I saw 2 men a dog piddling about at Firhouse this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

...ridiculous....a joke.... etc...,

It's hardly safe to do roadworks and implement new layouts in this type of weather.

You'd be on here giving out if there was an accident then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

sure its too cold to pour concrete and i suspect too cold to lay tar mac. so apart from landscaping there is not much that can happen.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

I don't doubt that the current weather would affect work on the M50, but as far as the southern section is concerned, the foot was taken off the pedal long before the cold snap started.

rameire wrote: »
    sure its too cold to pour concrete and i suspect too cold to lay tar mac. so apart from landscaping there is not much that can happen.

Junction 3 - M50S to M1N & M1S freeflow has been finished and marked since at least 3 weeks before xmas, no works need to be done here except lifting of cones........is it to cold to do this as well????

The current layout at this junction is far more dangerous at the moment then if they lifted the cones and grited the new lanes and opened it.

Junction 3 - M50S to M1N & M1S freeflow has been finished and marked since at least 3 weeks before xmas, no works need to be done here except lifting of cones........is it to cold to do this as well????

The current layout at this junction is far more dangerous at the moment then if they lifted the cones and grited the new lanes and opened it.
    Bad idea to roll out new layout in bad weather.

Get the idea?

Bad idea to roll out new layout in bad weather.

Get the idea?

Please explain how a better road layout can be more dangerous in bad weather.....I really can't understand that!

Instead of squeezing all M1N traffic into one lane they would instead have two, & all traffic heading for the M1S would be freeflow, so no need to stop. Both of these are far safer options considering the current weather conditions.

If they got there finger out and opened this junction before xmas as was stated by M50MGT we would not need to have this discussion.
    * Important Information for M50*

All temporary traffic manangement will be removed from the M50 Northern Cross tomorrow night / Saturday morning with the exception of the unfinished N2 & N3 Interchanges. The M50 will now be three lanes at interchanges with an additional auxiliary lane between interchanges. All permanent signage and road markings will then come into effect and all temporary signage will be removed. All freeflows will be operational at the M1 Interchange and Ballymun. It will take some time for all road users to get used to the new layouts so caution is advised over the weekend and into next week
    Originally Posted 17.12.2009 when the temperature was Max 8°C and Min 3°C.

Don't forget that there has been a debate about whether the "proposed" road markings are correct for the traffic flows.

Several here have made comments as to the amount of weaving that would happen.

So it's possible that there is a rethink going on, no point in opening it and then changing it a few days later.

Please explain how a better road layout can be more dangerous in bad weather.....I really can't understand that!
    It might not be a better lay out. This is why its delayed already as we all know from this thread, in fact you've contributed to some of the debate.

So you'd be happy to implement a road which might not be layed out better in icy/snowy conditions?

Then again if your going to refer to it as M1S then I feel I'm never going to be able to explain anything to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

So can anyone give me an update as to what the road is like from Blanch to the M1
    Have the Four lanes each way done?
    Have they fully completed the M1? Is it Five lanes each way from there to the Ballymun Exit?
    And can anyone give any update on the N2/N3/

Is there any photomontage of the N2 design and build scheme. I hear it's different to the old design slightly. I believe they are making it fully free flow?

• Advertisement

...ridiculous....a joke.... etc...,

It's hardly safe to do roadworks and implement new layouts in this type of weather.

You'd be on here giving out if there was an accident then :rolleyes:

The M50 to DPT freeflow has been finished since before Christmas. Even the lights are on since then. Moving a few cones in this weather is hardly going to cause a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement