Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It might not be a better lay out. This is why its delayed already as we all know from this thread, in fact you've contributed to some of the debate.

So you'd be happy to implement a road which might not be layed out better in icy/snowy conditions?

Then again if your going to refer to it as M1S then I feel I'm never going to be able to explain anything to you.

I will and many others will always refer to it as the M50 N to M1 S as it makes more sense. Get over it and move on for gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

mysterious wrote: »
    So can anyone give me an update as to what the road is like from Blanch to the M1
    Have the Four lanes each way done?
    the 4 lanes are finished, but only the 3 mainline lanes are open. the Aux lanes are conned off.
    Have they fully completed the M1? Is it Five lanes each way from there to the Ballymun Exit?
    The M1s widens to three lanes just under the M1/M1 junction. traffic coming from the M1e has to merge onto this new third lane, there is only one lane from the Airport interchange rab onto the M1s mainline. The aux lane is conned off from here to just after the M1/M50w/M32/M50s junction splits, it widens to two lanes M1s-M50w and then closes to 1 lane on the ramp up.
    There are five lanes built from east of the R132 bridge, not from the Ballymun junction
    Only 3 of these are open, 2 for the M32/M50s and 1 for the M1n
    the one for the M1n then goes through a chicane of cones to the original route near the illegal gate from the long term red carpark.
    I'm not too sure what the M50w looks like. It's coned off so there's 1 lane from the M32, one from the M1s, then there's one or two long merges from the M50n
    And can anyone give any update on the N2/N3/
    the N3s has a freeflow onto the M50n, the rab west of the M50 has been removed, it;s now traffic light controlled junction. The N3w aproaching the M50 junction now goes on a new alignment, there' s a dip and a steep rise up to the lights, causing a bit of hassle in the icy conditions.
    Is there any photomontage of the N2 design and build scheme. I hear it's different to the old design slightly. I believe they are making it fully free flow?
    the freeflow M50-N2n and N2s-M50 are closed, new ones are being built in a bit of useless planning by whoever allowed them go ahead on the Ashbourne bypass scheme.
    I think it will be freeflow on all movements, with a bit of doubt over the M50w-N2s movement, there may be some control here. It was very hard to see anything here on 2nd Jan, there was no gritting done on the N2 by the corpo. THere's a new road into Charlestown shortly after the junction on the N2s, I don't know if there's entrances into the business along the n2 between these two places or they are re-routed to this new road.

how do you spell coned? conned? cone'd?

All directions are actual directions on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

It might not be a better lay out. This is why its delayed already as we all know from this thread, in fact you've contributed to some of the debate.

So you'd be happy to implement a road which might not be layed out better in icy/snowy conditions?

Then again if your going to refer to it as M1S then I feel I'm never going to be able to explain anything to you.

My only contribution to this thread in relation to Junction 3 is looking for it to be opened!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current markings they have in place, it is people using this thread that are making such a big deal of them.

Also it you know a road since the day you were born as the M1 you will naturally always call it the M1 (as do most people using this thread), I have not seen any signs on the M1S stating were it changes over to M50 and I use this road on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

celticbest wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current markings they have in place
    Grand, you obviously know better than the individual groups involved. If you do fair enough, presenting your findings to the groups involved may speed things up.
    I have not seen any signs on the M1S stating were it changes over to M50 and I use this road on a regular basis.
    Thats no excuse for ignorance though. Many roads have changed names in Ireland over the last decade, if we all had your attitude where would that get us.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

.......There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current markings they have in place, it is people using this thread that are making such a big deal of them...........
    Are you saying that the N32 should get the same number of lanes allocated to it as The Airport + M1N + City + Port Tunnel????????????
    When you pass under the Ballymun interchange 2 lanes go the the N32 while the other 2 lanes are for everywhere else. The N32 should treated like any other exit, it should have one lane, with the only difference being it "exits right".

• Advertisement

Are you saying that the N32 should get the same number of lanes allocated to it as The Airport + M1N + City + Port Tunnel????????????
    When you pass under the Ballymun interchange 2 lanes go the the N32 while the other 2 lanes are for everywhere else. The N32 should treated like any other exit, it should have one lane, with the only difference being it "exits right".

Please see attached file which contains the layout of Junction 3 as it currently stands if opened tomorrow.

Junction 3.JPG

Can you please explain the major issue people are having with this layout. Before any upgrade works the free flow to the M1N worked fine were one lane broke into two, I cannot see why this would still not be the case now.

The free flow to M1S PT would take on the same pattern and would in my opinion would also work without any issues.

Yes, as with all new junctions which have opened along the upgraded M50 it would take people a week or two to get use to the new layout, but if you miss the junction you have an option to use the old R/A.

From what I can see, the issue is the area under the words "M50 Southbound" with half the lanes taking about 80% of the traffic.

From what I can see, the issue is the area under the words "M50 Southbound" with half the lanes taking about 80% of the traffic.
    That's where I see the problem as well - Just after the Ballymun Junction.
    Some people are going to be driving in the outside two lanes, the will need to cross multiple lanes of traffic to exit on M1N.
    I'm not saying that it will be a total disaster, however they really should have thought a little bit more about the layout. The current lane allocation does not optimise the full capacity of the Junction and could lead to avoidable tailbacks.

I certainly wouldn't use the statement
    ....."There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current markings they have in place"......
    There plainly is!!!!

Is this alternative layout what people are looking for???

Junction 3 Alternative layout.JPG

If so, how long can it take for them to decide to remove some hatch markings and realign the lanes?? Cold weather should not stop such works happening.

Yes, that's what the consensus appears to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

If so, how long can it take for them to decide to remove some hatch markings and realign the lanes?? Cold weather should not stop such works happening.

Getting new signage for the gantries... more paperwork....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

At least one of the new slip roads at the sandyford interchange has opened during the past few weeks. The one I saw open was Sandyford Village north to Rathfarnham & M50 N/B

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

this is my first time on this thread and I have followed posts for a while. there seems to be much debate about the m50/n to dpt. i use the n7 approaching the red cow regularly and the lane allocation is less than ideal but people are gradually getting used to it. there are 2 outer lanes that go toward city centre and only 1 inner lane followed by 2 that break into m50 s & m50 n. even though there may be an argument for having only 1 outer lane, my guess is that based on safety grounds to have only 1 'overtaking lane' exiting to the right would not work. that said, some of the gantry signage had had subtle changes added to help traffic flow for m50 n & s. The main thing is to get the new layout open soon and have drivers navigate the new layout......... :)

The same could be said for the Lucan rd to M50 north, it's a very short slip which dives left!

emfifty wrote: »
    ......my guess is that based on safety grounds to have only 1 'overtaking lane' exiting to the right would not work.........
    There's absolutely no issues with this. Many countries world-wide have exit lanes both to the left and to the right (especially in large cities).....Of course proper signage is a must.
    Besides, I can't see how 1 lane exiting is any less safe than 2 lanes exiting..... infact 2 lanes must be more dangerous as anyone using the "overtaking lane" would need to cross an extra lane to avoid the N32.

This section is still two lanes, but this muppet tried to open up a third one. (M50 Edmondstown)

attachment.php?attachmentid=101248&stc=1&d=1262805793

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

This section is still two lanes, but this muppet tried to open up a third one. (M50 Edmondstown)

There was one dude (in a Merc ML) driving in the unopened lane northbound between Sandyford and Firhouse. Didn't look like he had been working on the road tbh.

M50MGT any more news on the opening of the M50 north to M1 South (DPT)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

M50MGT any more news on the opening of the M50 north to M1 South (DPT)?

They were working on that flyover this am. Pulling a cable or unblocking a drain or something like that. 1st time in ages I've seen anyone on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Tuesday 12 January. 45 Minute queue for N2/M50 junction this morning on M50 northbound. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Ice_Box wrote: »
    Tuesday 12 January. 45 Minute queue for N2/M50 junction this morning on M50 northbound. Why?

Big queue for the southbound exit this am as well. Also noticed that the N2 inbound was backed up across all lanes approaching the junction but yet the N2 in-bound on the city side of the roundabout was clear so perhaps there was an incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Looks like the same situation southbound around 9:30 when I passed, N2 junction seems to be a disaster at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

M50.ie mentioned overnight roadworks with lane restictions on N2 outbound last night. maybe they didn't finish in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

A friend of mine was stock there for 75 minutes this morning. What a joke these people are.

A friend of mine was stock there for 75 minutes this morning. What a joke these people are.
    It might be a good idea to find out the cause before apportioning blame!

http://m50.ie/index.php?page=m1-m50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

chinchin wrote: »
    Looks like the same situation southbound around 9:30 when I passed, N2 junction seems to be a disaster at the moment.
    Stuck there for 45 minutes this morning and 30 minutes this evening.

There's no additional physical lane restrictions in place so I'd guestimate it's got something to do with changing the timing of the traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Didnt see this posted December update newsletter:
    http://m50.ie/uploads/images/M50%20Upgrade%20Leaflet%20December%2009.pdf

Does say N2 will be finished Q1 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Stuck there for 45 minutes this morning and 30 minutes this evening.

There's no additional physical lane restrictions in place so I'd guestimate it's got something to do with changing the timing of the traffic lights.

There was a note on AAroadwatch.ie earlier saying that the "faulty traffic lights at the M50/N2 junction have now been repaired"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Tomorrow night, Friday 15th, one lane of the freeflow slip from the M50 NB to the M1 SB will open. As a result the lane designation from Santry bridge will change. Lane 1 - M1 NB, Lane 2 - M1 SB, Lanes 3 & 4 - N32. Below is a sketch of the area showing what will be in place by 6am on Saturday morning. This sketch will also be on M50.ie this evening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement