Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Tomorrow night, Friday 15th, one lane of the freeflow slip from the M50 NB to the M1 SB will open. As a result the lane designation from Santry bridge will change. Lane 1 - M1 NB, Lane 2 - M1 SB, Lanes 3 & 4 - N32. Below is a sketch of the area showing what will be in place by 6am on Saturday morning. This sketch will also be on M50.ie this evening

Any word on the Ballymun rd -> M50 SB slip opening? Looks complete to me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Also Tallaght - Sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Tomorrow night, Friday 15th, one lane of the freeflow slip from the M50 NB to the M1 SB will open. As a result the lane designation from Santry bridge will change. Lane 1 - M1 NB, Lane 2 - M1 SB, Lanes 3 & 4 - N32. Below is a sketch of the area showing what will be in place by 6am on Saturday morning. This sketch will also be on M50.ie this evening

thanks. Does that means the allocation of 2 lanes for N32 will remain as is?

thanks. Does that means the allocation of 2 lanes for N32 will remain as is?

According to the attached sketch it does.

According to the attached sketch it does.

There was never any confirmation when the question was asked in the past. From the sketch I also assume that it will stay the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Make it M32 on all the pics please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Sad and still incorrect darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also Tallaght - Sandyford?

Tallaght to Ballymount is the most immediate issue. Looks completely finished for weeks now but still not open.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Thanks for the info M50 Mgt (Happy new year also... good to have you back).

BUT.... It actually makes me sad to see that lane allocation. I cannot believe nobody has the balls to say they made a mistake in allocating 50% of the lanes to the N32.

Can you confirm if there's any chance of the lanes being retrofitted to a more sensible allocation in the coming months?
    If not, we'll let out moans die and hope the lane allocation doesn't cause major delays or accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Grand, you obviously know better than the individual groups involved. If you do fair enough, presenting your findings to the groups involved may speed things up.

Thats no excuse for ignorance though. Many roads have changed names in Ireland over the last decade, if we all had your attitude where would that get us.

Hi Bluetonic,

Please see attachement as posted yesterday by M50MGT stating that one lane of the freeflow slip from the M50NB to the M1SB will open tonight.

M50 NB Freeflow to M1 SB Open[1].pdf

Can you please explain how there is no excuse for ignorance even when the authorities in charge of the road call it M1S.

Also was I not correct in calling for the junction to be opened with it current markings as 'the individual groups involved' obviously concurred with my opinion. If people follow signage I cannot foresee any issue with this junction.

As with the opening of all junctions over the course of the upgrade once a few days have passed people will get use to the new layout and traffic will flow more freely.

• Advertisement

celticbest wrote: »
    .....Also was I not correct in calling for the junction to be opened with it current markings as 'the individual groups involved' obviously concurred with my opinion. If people follow signage I cannot foresee any issue with this junction.......

I cannot believe you won't admit that the lane allocation is wrong, and could be optimised much better.

Just because the relevant authorities don't have the balls to admit they made a mistake doesn't justify your opinion that there's nothing wrong with it.
    There simply is something wrong with it!!!!
    This is a real attitude we have in this country.... "it will do rightly"...... "it will be grand"...... "people will get used to it",.... etc ,etc.
    This is not good enough for the most important junction on the most important motorway in Ireland.
    We should be looking for the most perfect, optimal layout possible!!!! Not some lane allocation that was decided upon without any thought whatsoever!!!!

Thanks for the info M50 Mgt (Happy new year also... good to have you back).

BUT.... It actually makes me sad to see that lane allocation. I cannot believe nobody has the balls to say they made a mistake in allocating 50% of the lanes to the N32.

Can you confirm if there's any chance of the lanes being retrofitted to a more sensible allocation in the coming months?
    If not, we'll let out moans die and hope the lane allocation doesn't cause major delays or accidents.

It's not quite 50% going to the N32, please see attachment.

Junction 3.JPG

This will be the layout of the junction once it is fully opened as is currently marked. As far as I can see the M1N/M1S is allocated 3 lanes which split into four lanes on the bend of the junction.

It's not quite 50% going to the N32, please see attachment.

Junction 3.JPG

This will be the layout of the junction once it is fully opened as is currently marked. As far as I can see the M1N/M1S is allocated 3 lanes which split into four lanes on the bend of the junction.

For the four lane section just after the ballymun interchage, it is 50% lane allocation to the N32.

I cannot believe you won't admit that the lane allocation is wrong, and could be optimised much better.

Just because the relevant authorities don't have the balls to admit they made a mistake doesn't justify your opinion that there's nothing wrong with it.
    There simply is something wrong with it!!!!
    This is a real attitude we have in this country.... "it will do rightly"...... "it will be grand"...... "people will get used to it",.... etc ,etc.
    This is not good enough for the most important junction on the most important motorway in Ireland.
    We should be looking for the most perfect, optimal layout possible!!!! Not some lane allocation that was decided upon without any thought whatsoever!!!!

As prevoiusly stated,
    My only contribution to this thread in relation to Junction 3 is looking for it to be opened!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current markings they have in place, it is people using this thread that are making such a big deal of them.

I'm not on here looking to be nitty picky about everything, I just want to see the upgrade completed so my journey home from work is takes the shortest time possible.

P.S. 1/2 of Five lanes does not = 50%

As prevoiusly stated,

I'm not on here looking to be nitty picky about everything, I just want to see the upgrade completed so my journey home from work is takes the shortest time possible.

P.S. 1/2 of Five lanes does not = 50%

I'm not going to spend the morning arguing with you.
    All I want it the Junction to be opened properly and to be as future proof as possible. I don't mind it opening now (infact it should have been opened weeks ago), but I do want to hear that they will address the lane allocation as a retrofit before the project is completed. It would be nice to get everyones weight behind this and not have some people saying that "there's nothing wrong with it"!!!
    See this post for details of what i'd like to see...

As for my maths...... 2/4 does equal 50%. See this picture.

Traffic has to start merging/ changing lanes well before you have the 5 lanes.
    The vast majority of traffic will have to use the two leftmost lanes.

Not only will this increase the number of cars changing lanes, but it also increases the numbers of lanes they have to move across. In addition when the two left lanes are going slow (as they will), ppl will use the two empty N32 lanes to go all the way and squeeze in at the last minute.

While everyone will be wondering why there are two empty lanes feeding the N32.

Celticbest, you are using the N32 right? ;)

I wonder if anyone has ever analysed the traffic pattern at this junction before drawing up the layout? If so, either the results were different to we all believe and the current layout is justified, or the results were blatently ignored in which case it was wasting public money doing the analyis in the first place....

If you look more closely you'll see that from about 300m before the junction, auxiliary lane one splits into two lanes, hence five lanes by the time you get to the junction. As I also stated before heading towards the M1N was always one splitting into two and this never caused a problem in the past. Auxiliary lanes two and three going to the M1S I would be more worried about the merging capacity there as lorries going through the port tunnel still have to cross lanes quickly to gain access to it while traffic already on the M1S will also have to cross lanes if they do not wish to access the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Once the freeflow opens tonight there will be restrictions on the existing roundabout tomorrow and Sunday to plane the existing surface and re-lay new tar. Details of these closures at http://m50.ie/index.php?page=m1-m50

Roundabout will be reduced to one lane, lanes 2 & 3 closed tomorrow and lanes 1 & 2 closed on Sunday. Traffic should be much lighter once both freeflows are operational

Traffic has to start merging/ changing lanes well before you have the 5 lanes.
    The vast majority of traffic will have to use the two leftmost lanes.

Not only will this increase the number of cars changing lanes, but it also increases the numbers of lanes they have to move across. In addition when the two left lanes are going slow (as they will), ppl will use the two empty N32 lanes to go all the way and squeeze in at the last minute.

While everyone will be wondering why there are two empty lanes feeding the N32.

Celticbest, you are using the N32 right? ;)

I wonder if anyone has ever analysed the traffic pattern at this junction before drawing up the layout? If so, either the results were different to we all believe and the current layout is justified, or the results were blatently ignored in which case it was wasting public money doing the analyis in the first place....

I go M50 north to M1N, I have used this route for the past six and a half years, I have never seen an issue with the freeflow before the upgrade and a similar layout will be in place after the junction is fully opened. If people get into there lanes at the right time this junction will work without any problems.

If they abuse it and jump in at the last minute it is up to the gardai to determine if it warrants stopping them for dangerous driving.

If the gardai in this country enforced the road laws properly we would not have half the slowdowns which currently take place around Junctions, were major lane hopping at the last minute occurs on a daily basis.

Can you please explain how there is no excuse for ignorance even when the authorities in charge of the road call it M1S.
    The subcontractors, who control the website, refer it to M1S.

The signs on the road refer to it as M50 which it is.

If you want to discuss it further PM me and lets not clog up this thread, clearly you have nothing to lose from the continued disagreements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

In addition when the two left lanes are going slow (as they will), ppl will use the two empty N32 lanes to go all the way and squeeze in at the last minute.

Yeah, that happens even now and the behaviour really annoys the hell out of me, so much so that I've stopped exiting onto the M1 via the 'freeflow'. I now stay in lane for the N32 and exit northbound at the roundabout. It's quicker and safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not noticed so much lately but it used to be a big problem at the M1/Santry junction Southbound in the morning. Coupla traffic cameras and fines would sort it out pretty quick.

I go M50 north to M1N, I have used this route for the past six and a half years, I have never seen an issue with the freeflow before the upgrade and a similar layout will be in place after the junction is fully opened. If people get into there lanes at the right time this junction will work without any problems.....
    Celticbest,
    Will you at least admit that the lane allocation could be better???? Just that, I don't even expect you to say that there'll be any issues with the current one, just that it could be improved???? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The M50 eastbound to N32 rotary should be made one lane. It's redicoulous giving extra lane allocation, over the M50 and M1 free flow lanes. This is just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

If you look more closely you'll see that from about 300m before the junction, auxiliary lane one splits into two lanes, hence five lanes by the time you get to the junction. As I also stated before heading towards the M1N was always one splitting into two and this never caused a problem in the past. Auxiliary lanes two and three going to the M1S I would be more worried about the merging capacity there as lorries going through the port tunnel still have to cross lanes quickly to gain access to it while traffic already on the M1S will also have to cross lanes if they do not wish to access the tunnel.

Why are you arguing over something that doesnt work.

If it doesnt work for proper traffic management, I know you like to think your right, butr my brutal honest advice is to you is to just stop. Seriously.

90% percent of traffic is merging to the left and its handles the Airport, city and Portunnel traffic. There should be 2 lanes for the Airport one lane for the Portunnel and One lane to the N32.

This is proper traffic routeing.

It's also common sense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The subcontractors, who control the website, refer it to M1S.

The signs on the road refer to it as M50 which it is.

If you want to discuss it further PM me and lets not clog up this thread, clearly you have nothing to lose from the continued disagreements.

Most intelligent people will take the info from M50concession ltd. as correct as they are the contractors. The signs like you are incorrect!

The signs like you are incorrect!
    Oh thats a new one, now the signs incorrect. Of course they are up there for the good of their health and a third party company know best. :rolleyes:

Fell free to PM me if you wish to discuss it further as I said already this conversation is adding nothing to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Most intelligent people will take the info from M50concession ltd. as correct as they are the contractors. The signs like you are incorrect!

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,717808,740847,5
    The ordnance survey have it as the M50?
    Are they wrong too, and if so, why?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

google have it & the tunnel itself on their maps as M1 and google know everything
    (I know it is the M50!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

M50 Concession = bunch of builders
    Signs = put up by the roads authority that designates the numbering system

ANY intelligent person is going to know which one is right, and which one is somebody who hasn't adjusted to the roads authority changing numbering years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement