Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

mysterious wrote: »
    The M50 eastbound to N32 rotary should be made one lane. It's redicoulous giving extra lane allocation, over the M50 and M1 free flow lanes. This is just stupid.
    You're from America...right???? :)
    Totally agree with you...... you sum it up in one simple sentience!!!
    Most intelligent people will take the info from M50concession ltd. as correct as they are the contractors. The signs like you are incorrect!
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    Oh thats a new one, now the signs incorrect. Of course they are up there for the good of their health and a third party company know best. :rolleyes:

Fell free to PM me if you wish to discuss it further as I said already this conversation is adding nothing to the thread.

OK.... Here are the facts about the M1SB/M50CW/M50PortTunnelBound (or whatever we call it).
    • The official Name of the road between M50-J3 and Dublin Port (including the tunnel) is "M50"
    • This causes a lot of confusion surrounding the M50NB and M50SB naming conventions.
    • This is why a lot of people and contractors continue to use the term M1SB. It is much less confusing than "M50CW" or "M50PortTunnelBound", etc
    • There is also a legacy of People calling it the M1
    • Personally, I don't think they should have ever changed it's name.
      • It just causes too much confusion,
      • They didn't combine it with a new Naming convention
      • They messed up all the signs from the very start.
    • They Should have:
      • Let the M50 be the "C-Style" orbital rout
      • Let the M1 continue to Dublin Port
      • And if there ever was an Eastern-Bypass, let that be the M11 once you go southside (M1 for the Northside section)
    Like the M1NB-J3 lane allocation, They don't have the balls to change it at this stage!!!!

Well, did the freeflow from M50N to Port tunnel south open?

I can't be bothered to decide whether to call it M50 or M1, so I just called it Port tunnel. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

I can't be bothered to decide whether to call it M50 or M1, so I just called it Port tunnel. :rolleyes:

...and can anyone confirm if the aux lane is open northbound all the way from Ballymun, as they suggested it would on m50.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Thought I was been smart and checked the Dublin City Council Traffic cameras website but they don't have anything showing this stretch :(

cargo wrote: »
    Thought I was been smart and checked the Dublin City Council Traffic cameras website but they don't have anything showing this stretch :(
    But they DO have two cameras looking at the same section of road! (Southbound from Ballymun)

Edit: and one looking at clouds. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

This freeflow did open and has worked very well all day. The fourth lane opens opprox 500m after the Ballymun on ramp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This freeflow did open and has worked very well all day. The fourth lane opens opprox 500m after the Ballymun on ramp
    Any update on Tallaght-Sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

The completed M50/M1 junction is now mapped on OpenStreetMap.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

:cool:

i can vouch for this....took a spin on both of the new freeflows and it was a driving pleasure. as i live in kildare i drove from the airport/m50 interchange to the off ramp at exit 7 on the m4 without stopping. now that's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

emfifty wrote: »

i can vouch for this....took a spin on both of the new freeflows and it was a driving pleasure. as i live in kildare i drove from the airport/m50 interchange to the off ramp at exit 7 on the m4 without stopping. now that's progress.

The journey you describe didn't use the new ramp, though. The ramp from M1S-M50S has been open for some time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 The Prisoner

For all those saying that the N32 should have only one lane at the end of the M50, that was the case today due to resurfacing works and there was a very lengthy tailback around 5pm. Can only imagine that it would be much worse at peak times Mon-Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

For all those saying that the N32 should have only one lane at the end of the M50, that was the case today due to resurfacing works and there was a very lengthy tailback around 5pm. Can only imagine that it would be much worse at peak times Mon-Fri.

No,
    people are saying there should only be one lane at the diverge, widening to 2 afterwards. No one is against the two lanes on the rab or it's approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

mackerski wrote: »
    The journey you describe didn't use the new ramp, though. The ramp from M1S-M50S has been open for some time now.

i can vouch for this....took a spin on both of the new freeflows and it was a driving pleasure. as i live in kildare i drove from the airport/m50 interchange to the off ramp at exit 7 on the m4 without stopping. now that's progress

Used the new M50 to Port tunnel flyover this morning - great! :)

But it has confirmed yet again that

IRSIH MOTORISTS DON'T READ SIGNS!!! (there was a flashing VMS there!)

I was one of only a handful that actually used it the queue for the roundabout was half way back to Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

:confused:

I was one of only a handful that actually used it the queue for the roundabout was half way back to Ballymun.

Have to agree with you dolanbaker, I haven't seen one junction open along the M50 in either direction that was used correctly in the first week after it's opening, no matter how many signs are put in place before the junction the majority of people will still ignore them.:confused:

...and a couple of advance vms signs saying to use left lane for city/port. Driver behaviour not unlike that of lemmings, let's just follow the lemming in front and don't dare make an independent decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

I saw that yesterday, but I think the problem was caused by two things

1. Reduced capacity on the Roundabout (one lane open)
    2. People changing into the N32 lanes from the M1 lane, having seen the Electronic sign which says "Port Tunnel Traffic - Left Hand Lane" and then panicing and switching into the N32 lanes.

I don't believe this will the norm when the junction fully opens and the signs get properly sorted (have to say, the signage is still terrible)
    One lane aux lane is enough for the N32.... just as it's enough for the N2, N3, N4, N7, etc, etc (The only difference is that it would be on the right hand side of the Mainline)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Yeah the M50 NB was backed up to Ballymun around 9am as drivers still barrelled up to the roundabout only to find it down to one lane.

I'm sure it'll improve in a day or 2 when drivers get used to it and the 2 lanes onto the old route via roundabout open again.

I imagine the evening commute shouldn't be as bad this pm as the volume wanting to go to PT wont be as heavy as in the am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Attached is a photo of signage on gantries between Ballymun & the M1. The two N32 lanes backed up passed Ballymun this evening while the other two were empty. I never realised the N32 was so popular, or maybe the signage was just being ignored?

cargo wrote: »
    Yeah the M50 NB was backed up to Ballymun around 9am as drivers still barrelled up to the roundabout only to find it down to one lane.

I'm sure it'll improve in a day or 2 when drivers get used to it and the 2 lanes onto the old route via roundabout open again.

I imagine the evening commute shouldn't be as bad this pm as the volume wanting to go to PT wont be as heavy as in the am.

Fraid not. Backed up to Ballymun again, but then again that could have been caused by this....

"Very heavy outbound between the Port Tunnel exit & J2 Dublin Airport. An earlier crash at the M1/M50 has been cleared. www.aaroadwatch.ie"

Thankfully I was travelling the opp direction at 5:30. Wonder if the crash was caused by the new layout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The problem is that by the time u get to see the signs for the new layout you've been sitting in traffic for about 10-15 mins... Sure even this morning I was watching people pull out as soon as they saw the sign and others continued up to the roundabout and went down onto the M1/PT the old way... It's gonna be a good week or two before people get used to this. And they need to put up more signs. There's should be signs at ballymun telling people to get in lane... Its a bit of a mess at the mo...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I never realised the N32 was so popular, or maybe the signage was just being ignored?

One problem is that much of the signage on the M50 has cried wolf. Lanes have M50 written in them when in fact you can't continue in that lane, but have to exit (e.g at N81). Other gantries point to lanes that are coned off. For the convenience of the builders signs were erected and markings painted which are plain misleading at the time. Consequently people are inclined to rely on the lane that worked the last time, as signs are untrustworthy.

ardmacha wrote: »
    One problem is that much of the signage on the M50 has cried wolf. Lanes have M50 written in them when in fact you can't continue in that lane, but have to exit (e.g at N81). Other gantries point to lanes that are coned off. For the convenience of the builders signs were erected and markings painted which are plain misleading at the time. Consequently people are inclined to rely on the lane that worked the last time, as signs are untrustworthy.

True enough, but in addition there's 4 lanes open now, so anyone who uses it regularly should really notice that over the next day or so and think about what it could mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Signage is very very poor. There are more signs telling you to obey the signs then there are actually giving you information. The first gantry after ballymun has only arrows for N32 and Belfast - Port Tunnel etc still obscured.

I cannot comprehend why the auxilary lane in closed after ballymun only to reopen a couple of hundred metres after the merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Attached is a photo of signage on gantries between Ballymun & the M1. The two N32 lanes backed up passed Ballymun this evening while the other two were empty. I never realised the N32 was so popular, or maybe the signage was just being ignored?

The problem is the lane closure for the tarmacking that is going on all around the roundabout. Some trucks noticed the signs, and did get out of the queue and moved over into the new slip which was flying along, where the N32 queue was 15mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I noticed that the VMS signs tonight said Port Tunnel left lane, if you were to follow this signage you would end up on the M1N.

This signage needs to be updated badly as it is not the left lane for the port tunnel it is actually Auxilary lane 2 wich brings you over the new flyover to the port tunnel.

Auxiliary lane 1(the left lane), brings you to the M1N.

Please M50MGT can you look into getting this updated ASAP.

celticbest wrote: »
    I noticed that the VMS signs tonight said Port Tunnel left lane, if you were to follow this signage you would end up on the M1N.

If you mean the VMS at the Ballymun turning, then it is correct! as the Aux lane goes to the M1N at that point, there are plenty of signs directing traffic to the middle(ish) lane for PT.

Came north again tonight and the queue for the roundabout was back beyond the Ballymin junction.

What should have happened it that there needed to be a week of "settling down" before rebuilding the roundabout, give drivers time to realise that the flyover is open and are using it. Today would have been the first day for the vast majority.

It's worth repeating! as the chaos repeated this afternoon. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I noticed some of the overhead signs were not cleared. Im open to correction, but of the 3 for junction 3 i think only the last one going northbound has half cleaned, and the other two are still fully covering the 'city centre and Dublin port'. You would think this could have been done over the weekend at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

People are idiots. Let them wait for 20 minutes instead of getting in the way of those of us who can actually read a straightforward sign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement