Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Stark wrote: »
    And there's an underpass so you won't have to stop at the lights at the T-junction. Though I wonder what the point of the underpass is. Surely there's not that much traffic coming from the village? And there should be no need to get rid of the ilghts

i don't see what underpass you are talking about, is it the one between m50 roundabout and present auburn roundabout.

or is it coming from blanch village to the m50 roundabout. all of the other bridges/underpasses are dark grey on image. i don't see any here.
    am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Coming from Blanch village to M50 roundabout. Currently there's a T-junction there with lights for turning right and going towards the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

And I can't work out the reason for that road next to the canal onto New Dunsink Lane. - unless this is cause you can't turn left coming from roundabout as you have to cross traffic lanes...

If you notice from the diagram, once the junction is completed there will no longer be a south bound on-ramp to the m50 from the existing roundabout. It is lost to accomodate the freeflow dual carriageway that hooks around behind total fitness and connects to the N3.

From what I can work out, the main purpose of the road you are referring to is to accomodate traffic coming from blanch village that would otherwise no longer be able to access the m50 southbound.

Such traffic will now have to take the left after the roundabout, turn right onto dunsink lane, then right again at the auburn avenue junction to access the new free flow slip just beyond this point

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

ofjames wrote: »
    If you notice from the diagram, once the junction is completed there will no longer be a south bound on-ramp to the m50 from the existing roundabout. It is lost to accomodate the freeflow dual carriageway that hooks around behind total fitness and connects to the N3.

From what I can work out, the main purpose of the road you are referring to is to accomodate traffic coming from blanch village that would otherwise no longer be able to access the m50 southbound.

Such traffic will now have to take the left after the roundabout, turn right onto dunsink lane, then right again at the auburn avenue junction to access the new free flow slip just beyond this point

Right. now i got it. thanks! I bet you they will hate that routing. (compared to now....)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Some changes at N2/M50 this morning. N2 outbound to M50 south slip looks open. Should help that road a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Hey M50, now that the mainline is opened up and a lot of the jams freed up, if you get a chance can you post a quick overview of the next few stages in the project? I expect there will be small milestones along the way (i.e. a slip opening here and there) before the full sign-off.

Are the N2 and N3 junctions are the only major items left now? Are the ones South of the N7 (i.e. Tallaght / Firhouse etc) mostly finished or are there more improvements to come on these also? i.e. are all slips open?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

I think before they sign off there need to be a review off the exit ramps before there are some serious accidents with cards stopped on the lanes of the M50 to merge or going from stopped into moving traffic, resulting in only the 2 right hand lanes being clear.

In the mornings when I go past heading southbound from the N4 junction the M50 exit ramps are not to bad, with some delays at Ballymount and Leopardstown, latter being the worse of the two.

In the evenings Northbound, its Firhouse which is not to bad but the N7 and N4 exits are quite bad, easily up to 2 miles tail back in the auxiliary lane which often blocks the next lane to it with cars merging from the main M50 traffic.

The N7 exit is particularly the worst as its auxiliary lane backs up to the Ballymount ON ramp causing cars coming onto the M50 to over take cars in the auxiliary lane and cars merging into the auxiliary lane from the M50 leading to possibly 3 lane with stationary/barely moving cars.

p.s. the M50 is now a pleasure to drive, appart from the above.

manc wrote: »
    I think before they sign off there need to be a review off the exit ramps before there are some serious accidents with cards stopped on the lanes of the M50 to merge or going from stopped into moving traffic, resulting in only the 2 right hand lanes being clear.

In the mornings when I go past heading southbound from the N4 junction the M50 exit ramps are not to bad, with some delays at Ballymount and Leopardstown, latter being the worse of the two.

In the evenings Northbound, its Firhouse which is not to bad but the N7 and N4 exits are quite bad, easily up to 2 miles tail back in the auxiliary lane which often blocks the next lane to it with cars merging from the main M50 traffic.

The N7 exit is particularly the worst as its auxiliary lane backs up to the Ballymount ON ramp causing cars coming onto the M50 to over take cars in the auxiliary lane and cars merging into the auxiliary lane from the M50 leading to possibly 3 lane with stationary/barely moving cars.

p.s. the M50 is now a pleasure to drive, appart from the above.

2 problem here.

1 - Newlands Cross
    2 - Bad drivers

No 1 is is been sorted (although it'll take a few years) No 2 we have to live with forever :)

Serioiusly the N7 backlog is caused by a backup from Newlands Cross and will not be sorted anytime soon. The N4 back-up should be sorted soon enough as the upgrade of he N4 junction progresses and the M50 outbound / inbound free flows open up.

M50 would be in a better position than me to give a rough indication of when this will be happening.

I'm not sure if all free flows are open at the Lepardstown junction yet as I don't use it too often and never during the am rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The 2 or 3 times I've gone to the N4 or N7 I've encountered this. Its absolutely lethal, I'm amazed I never saw an accident. How they never forsaw this happening is beyond me.

Something definitely needs to be done about it. To be stationary or near stationary in the Aux and 1st lane with the 2nd and 3rd lane doing 100 in heavy traffic with vehicles trying to merge both in and out is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,848 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

cargo wrote: »
    2 problem here.

1 - Bad drivers
    2 - Newlands Cross

No 1 is is been sorted (although it'll take a few years) No 2 we have to live with forever :)

Serioiusly the N7 backlog is caused by a backup from Newlands Cross and will not be sorted anytime soon. The N4 back-up should be sorted soon enough as the upgrade of he N4 junction progresses and the M50 outbound / inbound free flows open up.

M50 would be in a better position than me to give a rough indication of when this will be happening.

I'm not sure if all free flows are open at the Lepardstown junction yet as I don't use it too often and never during the am rush hour.

what?

How has 1 been soted?

2 lasting forever? Or just til after the planned upgrade to Newlands Cross?

If you mean 1 has been sorted with the Driver Licence stuff (provisionals being cracked down on etc) I would say it is not learners that are the problem, it is experienced drivers who think they know it all and are entitled to do what they want. the people who wait til the last moment to pull off the M50, meaning people already off the M50 have to stop to let them out, and people on the M50 have to slow or stop while the moron in front merges out.

Really, i don't get what you are talking about with 1 being sorted and 2 lasting forever.

• Advertisement

what?

How has 1 been soted?

2 lasting forever? Or just til after the planned upgrade to Newlands Cross?

If you mean 1 has been sorted with the Driver Licence stuff (provisionals being cracked down on etc) I would say it is not learners that are the problem, it is experienced drivers who think they know it all and are entitled to do what they want. the people who wait til the last moment to pull off the M50, meaning people already off the M50 have to stop to let them out, and people on the M50 have to slow or stop while the moron in front merges out.

Really, i don't get what you are talking about with 1 being sorted and 2 lasting forever.

Read it again!!

amazing what how a misplaced phrase can change the whole context of an argument :) sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

cargo wrote: »
    The N4 back-up should be sorted soon enough as the upgrade of he N4 junction progresses and the M50 outbound / inbound free flows open up.

I think you might have mixed up the N4 junction with the Blanchardstown junction, as far as I can see the N4 junction is finished as are the N4 works on the main line. There are some works still on the Leixlip and Woodie Eastbound On junctions which might be done this weekend but they are not affecting traffic.

I think you might have mixed up the N4 junction with the Blanchardstown junction, as far as I can see the N4 junction is finished as are the N4 works on the main line. There are some works still on the Leixlip and Woodie Eastbound On junctions which might be done this weekend but they are not affecting traffic.

Yip my bad again. i meant the one that backs up in the evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

The 2 or 3 times I've gone to the N4 or N7 I've encountered this. Its absolutely lethal, I'm amazed I never saw an accident. How they never forsaw this happening is beyond me.

Something definitely needs to be done about it. To be stationary or near stationary in the Aux and 1st lane with the 2nd and 3rd lane doing 100 in heavy traffic with vehicles trying to merge both in and out is crazy.

Something similar happens northbound at the N2 exit. Here some drivers don't want to queue, so they'll speed along the 1st driving lane past the queue and then brake as they try to 'nip in' at the last minute. When it doesn't work out for them, they're often left with the tail of the vehicle poking out into the driving lane.

This is the sort of behaviour which discourages other drivers from using the left most driving lane. The other driver runs the risk of having to brake suddenly for one of these muppets, or being caught behind them as they wait for someone to let them in. Meanwhile traffic zips past to the right at 100kph.

There is enforcement of some sort needed there or there will be a serious accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Wibbler wrote: »
    Something similar happens northbound at the N2 exit. Here some drivers don't want to queue, so they'll speed along the 1st driving lane past the queue and then brake as they try to 'nip in' at the last minute. When it doesn't work out for them, they're often left with the tail of the vehicle poking out into the driving lane.

This is the sort of behaviour which discourages other drivers from using the left most driving lane. The other driver runs the risk of having to brake suddenly for one of these muppets, or being caught behind them as they wait for someone to let them in. Meanwhile traffic zips past to the right at 100kph.

There is enforcement of some sort needed there or there will be a serious accident.

I experienced this last week during evening rush hour. I don't normally travel along this stretch of the M50 so was not familiar with the large que to get off the M50.
    Anyway, I was driving along in lane 1 at about 80/90, past the stationary queue in the aux lane. All of a sudden, a car pulled straight out in front of me. There were cars to my right, in lane 2, so all I could do was drop anchor. Didn't hit him but gave him a good blast of the horn. Everything was fine then until I got to just before the point where the aux lane separates from the main carriageway. What happens.......yes, the gob****e who pulled straight out in font of me now slams on the brakes to try cut in. but there's no gap for him. So I'm left right behind him. At this point there is nothing behind me but I can see headlights approaching me....FAST! I couldn't move to the lane 2 as traffic was flying past. All I could do was keep my foot on the brakes, put the hazard lights on and hold down the horn for as long as I was a sitting duck....I was trying to cause as much noise and be as visible as possible. 30 seconds of a constant horn blowing was not too pleasant for people beside me in aux lane but I needed to be as visible and audible to other road users doing 100kmh and heading straight for me.
    I really can't believe his sheer stupidity. Hopefully, he lost control of his car later that day and wrapped himself around a tree....as long as he was on his own, of course!

highdef wrote: »
    I experienced this last week during evening rush hour. I don't normally travel along this stretch of the M50 so was not familiar with the large que to get off the M50.
    Anyway, I was driving along in lane 1 at about 80/90, past the stationary queue in the aux lane. All of a sudden, a car pulled straight out in front of me. There were cars to my right, in lane 2, so all I could do was drop anchor. Didn't hit him but gave him a good blast of the horn. Everything was fine then until I got to just before the point where the aux lane separates from the main carriageway. What happens.......yes, the gob****e who pulled straight out in font of me now slams on the brakes to try cut in. but there's no gap for him. So I'm left right behind him. At this point there is nothing behind me but I can see headlights approaching me....FAST! I couldn't move to the lane 2 as traffic was flying past. All I could do was keep my foot on the brakes, put the hazard lights on and hold down the horn for as long as I was a sitting duck....I was trying to cause as much noise and be as visible as possible. 30 seconds of a constant horn blowing was not too pleasant for people beside me in aux lane but I needed to be as visible and audible to other road users doing 100kmh and heading straight for me.
    I really can't believe his sheer stupidity. Hopefully, he lost control of his car later that day and wrapped himself around a tree....as long as he was on his own, of course!

and the tree wasn't seriously damaged :D

Yes, I'm sorry. I was supposed to add the part about the tree not being seriously injured....a nice big oak would've done the trick nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p4ddyv

I come off at this exit every day, some of the maneuvers I see on a daily basic would make you think do some people actually have a ****ing brain.

Another problem with this exit is that some people come off for the N4 and then come back over the m50 fly over towards Palmerstown.
    Its generally a clear run which is why some people tend to cut in at the last minute rather than que for 15-20 minutes to take that exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

That's quite a shocking story and thanks for sharing it.

What you didn't realise, though, is that this guy (I'm presuming it was a male driver) was a VERY IMPORTANT PERSON and couldn't possibly queue like the rest of us.

serfboard wrote: »
    That's quite a shocking story and thanks for sharing it.

What you didn't realise, though, is that this guy (I'm presuming it was a male driver) was a VERY IMPATANT PERSON and couldn't possibly queue like the rest of us.

hmmm The graveyards are full if VIPs, unfortunately that sort of activity is likely to bring others with him!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. Why were headlights approaching you on the M50?
    2. You were obviously not keeping a safe distance between you and the car in front. Had you hit them, it would have been your fault!

kbannon wrote: »
    1. Why were headlights approaching you on the M50?
    2. You were obviously not keeping a safe distance between you and the car in front. Had you hit them, it would have been your fault!

1. I said "At this point there is nothing behind me but I can see headlights approaching me" - I would presume that anyone reading this sentence would assume that I looked in my rear view mirror (which gives a view behind me) and saw headlights approaching me, from the rear. Apologies if you didn't cop this.

2. I obviously was keeping a safe distance as I did not hit him when he slammed on the brakes. Why do you say I was not keeping a safe distance when I stopped without hitting him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

1. I said "At this point there is nothing behind me but I can see headlights approaching me" - I would presume that anyone reading this sentence would assume that I looked in my rear view mirror (which gives a view behind me) and saw headlights approaching me, from the rear. Apologies if you didn't cop this.

2. I obviously was keeping a safe distance as I did not hit him when he slammed on the brakes. Why do you say I was not keeping a safe distance when I stopped without hitting him?

Wish I could thank that more than once.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fair enough - whatever way I read it, it came across in the manner that I responded to which obviously wasn't your intention.
    Maybe its time to get some sleep!

Well without the human emotions involved with speech, text conversations such as these can often be interpreted in a different way than intended. Thank you for acknowledging that you misinterpreted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This isnt proper internet, it hasnt turned into a slagging match yet ;)

This isnt proper internet, it hasnt turned into a slagging match yet ;)

Just wait until it goes into the fast* lane. :)

*overtaking lane unless you're Irish...

/ducks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

The opening of the M50 from Tallaght to Sandyford has cut my travel time by half nearly!

Good work lads.

(It is helped by keeping in the left lane whilst everyone else battles for position in the other two lanes. It's like a willy waving contest at times - Who can go fastest and overtake most dangerously then hit the brakes etc. All fun and games till someone loses their life)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

(It is helped by keeping in the left lane whilst everyone else battles for position in the other two lanes. It's like a willy waving contest at times - Who can go fastest and overtake most dangerously then hit the brakes etc. All fun and games till someone loses their life)

I share Craiginireland`s views here and it`s somewhat incredible to see the manner in which the completion of one of Irelands largest civil engineering projects has been handled.

With the removal of the Restrictions and the transformation overnight from a Special Speed Limit zone into a full-blown (Urban) Motorway I would have expected a VERY hi-profile presence from ALL of the agencies involved,Particularly the Garda Traffic Corps,The NRA and the RSA.

Instead we got.....nothing.

Removing the black sacks from the 100 KPH speed limit signs and collecting most of the traffic cones was the extent of it.

There is little doubt but a Major RTA is imminent on the new M50,within weeks I would say as the very high level of ignorance in relation to disciplinary driving on Motorways continues to be displayed.

The off-ramps in particular require immediate and high profile attention from the Gardai.
    These locations were totally ignored by the authorities with the consequences now that drivers see it as acceptable to display their ignorance and "chance-it".
    Drivers who,as witnessed by hidef,display contempt for basic motorway regulations must be pursued to the limit.

The most educational method by far is to ensure that the queue jumper is targetted and FORCED to continue on to the Next Exit (something most appear to believe does not exist)
    However,before this the offender needs to be VISIBLY reprimanded on the hard shoulder or Garda lay-by.

As a stop gap the NRA needs far more Get-In-Lane flashing signes as well as doubling the frequency of the advance road lane markings.

However NOTHING will work as quickly as VISIBLE policing,which will of course entail some Gardai being removed from highly important Speed Limit enforcement along the Stillorgan Road.

Currently,in true Irish style,we merely await the serious accident before wondering aloud how it happened. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I especially love the overhead signs at Junction 14, I believe it is.
    There are at least 2-3 signs stating that you get off the next exit for Stillorgan.

So you follow the signs and exit the M50 by taking the offramp.
    Then when you come to the top of the offramp you are met by a roundabout,
    with signage to Stepaside and an industrial site I believe,
    NO mention of Stillorgan.

You feel like Anika Rice driving around the roundabout looking for indications as to where Stillorgan might be - if only I had an eye in the sky to help or some people labouring over maps in some library to be able to direct me over telephone. I enjoy that type of thing, it reminds me of road signage Oldcastle in Co Meath! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement