Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Davy wrote: »
    No i mean J3 as in M50/N32 roundabout. Ballymun slip is J4 sorry :o

Ah of course! Stupid me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

major work went on last night at the n3 junction.

lots of resurfacing going on around the auburn roundabout which looks like will be gone in the next couple of days.

also, lots of bridge struts lifted into place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apologies if I missed it, but is there a likely finish date for the Firhouse junction works?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

the auburn roundabout is now gone from the n3 junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

so is there traffic lights instead of the roundabout or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yup, traffic lights. And no right-turns or heading straight across from River Road to Auburn Avenue at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

here we go from m50.ie

This change in layout will see the removal of the roundabout and the introduction of a permanent signalised junction. For a period of about 2 weeks there will be no right turn inbound onto Auburn Avenue and instead traffic will have to continue inbound to the Train Station junction to turn around and approach from an Outbound direction.

Auburn Junction pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

4370052819_9883b123cf_o.jpg

i cant see why they didnt just reduce this junction to LILOs and leave it freeflowing. Only one movement is catered for by lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Roryhy wrote: »
    i cant see why they didnt just reduce this junction to LILOs and leave it freeflowing. Only one movement is catered for by lights!

I count four.

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote: »
    I count four.

Auburn av to city is the only one i see? what 4 do you count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Roryhy wrote: »
    Auburn av to city is the only one i see? what 4 do you count?

Add:

N3 Southbound-Auburn Avenue
    River Road-N3 North
    N3 Northbound-River Road

Though it looks as though you may be referring to the movements permitted today - keep in mind that these restrictions are temporary.

mackerski wrote: »
    Add:

N3 Southbound-Auburn Avenue
    River Road-N3 North
    N3 Northbound-River Road

Though it looks as though you may be referring to the movements permitted today - keep in mind that these restrictions are temporary.

Ah yes, i thought that was the permanent set-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Junction 4 Ballymun now has the freeflow slips open. This should improve things significantly during evening rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The amount of near misses I'm seeing daily on the Firhouse junction is shocking.

No-one has a clue where they're going, or where traffic is coming from - the only reason I haven't been in two accidents is because I'm watching people like ****ing hawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Tragedy wrote: »
    The amount of near misses I'm seeing daily on the Firhouse junction is shocking.

No-one has a clue where they're going, or where traffic is coming from - the only reason I haven't been in two accidents is because I'm watching people like ****ing hawks.

Northbound or southbound?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Northbound or southbound?

I find the Southbound side to be particularly dangerous,perhaps due to the slip coming off the inside of the natural bend of the Main M50.

On The Northbound aspect the slip comes off the outside of the same arc and may have something to do with perception.

I would happily predict a major multiple RTA at this location before very long unless highly-visible action is taken to advise drivers of the BASIC rules regarding Motorway Driving Practice.

It is in no way acceptable for the NRA and The Garda Siochana to adopt their standard Wait-and-See approach here as it will result in DEATH. :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

The Ballymun Interchange was fully opened over the weekend. This means that all freeflows are now operational. We should start to see the effect of this on this evenings peak traffic.

Auburn Ave junction is also working quite well. Full turning movements will be returned in 2 weeks. We will confirm a date once works are substantially completed.

The new freeflow from the N3 Outbound to the M50 SB will also open in around 2 weeks

question for M50 Traffic MGT, heading northbound past dundrum junction there is gantry supports but no gantry cross section for traffic signs and also there is another gantry further northbound with no traffic sign, will signs be erected there?

also going southbound just before dundrum exit there is a tiny sign for dundrum junction 13 will it be changed?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I have a question for M50TrafficMgmt, or anyone else who knows,

Is it planned to have electronic signage on the the M50 once upgrade works are complete. By electronic signage i mean, Real-time information about traffic and weather conditions, speed signage that reduces when there is ice on the road or congestion etc.

I think I have seen gantry's on the M50 that could be used for signs of this nature but I couldn't be sure.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

They really should be buiding a bridge at the Auburn road citybound area. Why because traffic will back up on the blanchardstown interchange at peak times and will spill onto the M50 and cause another tollbridge style tailback that the M50 endured here years before.

Its only a cheap flyover that will be half the size of the Luas bridge. I've said the Turnpike road at the Redcow would be a problem and it still is. They ignored my warnings. But will they take my advice this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

ipodrocker wrote: »
    question for M50 Traffic MGT, heading northbound past dundrum junction there is gantry supports but no gantry cross section for traffic signs and also there is another gantry further northbound with no traffic sign, will signs be erected there?

also going southbound just before dundrum exit there is a tiny sign for dundrum junction 13 will it be changed?!

Not all of the gantries will be fitted with signage. Some gantries are just for VMS signs. These gantries are for future use, just like other urban motorways in europe. This will enable active traffic management to be implemented. See the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Traffic_Management

ok in relation to junction 13 southbound with the tiny signage is that a temp sign?

Not all of the gantries will be fitted with signage. Some gantries are just for VMS signs. These gantries are for future use, just like other urban motorways in europe. This will enable active traffic management to be implemented. See the link below

When will the VMS signs get installed?
    Is the ATM system all future use? If so, when?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The new freeflow from the N3 Outbound to the M50 SB will also open in around 2 weeks

Fantastic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

When will the VMS signs get installed?
    Is the ATM system all future use? If so, when?

VMSs wont be used for a long time AFAIK due to lack of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

What a piece of really good news! Coupled with M3 tie-in completion this will really ease the stress :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

VMSs wont be used for a long time AFAIK due to lack of money.

All the VMSs that have been fitted so far are used. It appears that they aren't installed until a section is totally finished, so the new ones are only from the N3 to the N81. They're extremely high resolution two (or possibly three?) colour units.

ATM won't be used for a long time, I'd expect you meant this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Ok, Can you tell us that none of them will be used for a toll system the full length of the motorway?

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    All the VMSs that have been fitted so far are used. It appears that they aren't installed until a section is totally finished, so the new ones are only from the N3 to the N81. They're extremely high resolution two (or possibly three?) colour units.

ATM won't be used for a long time, I'd expect you meant this?

If ATM wasn't planned to be included in the upgrade now - I'm pretty certain it will never happen!
    Putting the infrastructure to support ATM in place surely cost a bit of money.. why not do it all at the same time? Or when they come around doing it, then systems will probly incompatible with the infrastructure and it will cost a fortune and cause major disruptions to upgrade... nothing new then... ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement