Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody else has noticed how bad the covering of surface water is on a wet day all along the M50 since the upgrade.

I was coming into work this morning and at stages you could hardly see the line markings on the road, there seems to be absolutely no camber in the road to allow drainage. I can see quite a few accidents occurring because of this in the future especially in the depths of winter when rush hour traffic is travelling in and out in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

celticbest wrote: »
    Why can't they install a free flow slip from the M1N to Swords at this junction(there's plenty of land)?? This would reduce some of the queuing each evening at this junction and save everyone some time whether going North or South on the R132.

very good point, and an easy win you would think.

AS for the extension of the 3 lanes all the way to lissenhall, its now the one place that they mention every-single-morning on AA roadwatch from 7.15am onwards, and again there is amble central-reservation room for a 3rd lane all the way to join with the new airport jnct layout (a 6km journey according to google maps).

Southbound in the morning is the worst by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mrs2be.ie

Does anyone have any idea when work will be fully completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

October was mentioned on a previous post, not sure if thats been updated.

ciaran75 wrote: »
    October was mentioned on a previous post, not sure if thats been updated.

The last official update I can find is in the M50 Quarterly Update Newsletter which states completion of the last part of the upgrade will be December 2010.

December Newsletter.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

N2 slip lane has open. City bound to M50 northbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

N2 slip lane has open. City bound to M50 northbound.

Cool. The M50 website is also showing a diagram indicating that the next free-flow will be N2 south -> M50 south.... http://m50.ie/index.php?page=advance-notice-of-new-layout-at-n2-interchange. When this is done, they can start working on the M50 south -> N2 North freeflow loop, which is just south of the original roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

from m50.ie click here
    Advanced Notice of Overnight Closure of the N2; 13th, 14th & 15th April 2010

Please be aware that a section of the inbound (citybound) N2 will be closed between 22:00hrs and 06:00hrs each night on the 13th, 14th & 15th April. The affected section of the N2 is between the M50 roundabout and the Charleston Shopping Centre junction.

Traffic travelling on the inbound N2 will be diverted onto the northbound M50 at M50 Junction 5 N2 and travel to Junction 4 Ballymun. The diversion will then be via the inbound R108 to the IKEA junction and along St. Margaret's Road to Charleston Place where diverted traffic may rejoin the inbound N2.

Traffic exiting the M50 at J5 N2 wishing to use the inbound N2 will be diverted back on to the northbound M50 to follow the same diversion via St. Margaret's Road.

Please click on the below click link for the plan or details of the planned diversion route. The diversion route will be fully signed.

pdf map of diversion

Traffic exiting the M50 at J5 N2 wishing to use the inbound N2 should be notified via VMS to exit at Bullymun...instead of going around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

oddiot wrote: »
    Cool. The M50 website is also showing a diagram indicating that the next free-flow will be N2 south -> M50 south.... http://m50.ie/index.php?page=advance-notice-of-new-layout-at-n2-interchange. When this is done, they can start working on the M50 south -> N2 North freeflow loop, which is just south of the original roundabout.

So it looks like they are adding a full junction with traffic lights at the charlstown junction. I suppose this had to happen to allow traffic from Denis Mahony etc to get into the city. The queues could continue out the N2 because of this.:(

So it looks like they are adding a full junction with traffic lights at the charlstown junction. I suppose this had to happen to allow traffic from Denis Mahony etc to get into the city. The queues could continue out the N2 because of this.:(

So when the roundabout ceases to exist, so the only alternative would be for cars exit Denis Mahony's, head out the N2 to Coldwinters, and come back on the inbound N2.

A full junction here would also increase traffic from Charlestown as they would then be able to access the M50 and N2 north by turning right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Diversions starting tonight for a few nights.

Also noticed loads of the large ganteries parked up arounf the junction this morning so I imagine they're lifting these in while they have the reduced flow through the junction this weekend.

From M50.ie

http://m50.ie/index.php?page=advanced-notice-of-overnight-closure-of-the-n2-13th-14th-15th-april-2010

Advanced Notice of Overnight Closure of the N2; 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th April 2010

Please be aware that a section of the inbound (citybound) N2 will be closed between 22:00hrs and 06:00hrs each night on the 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th April. The affected section of the N2 is between the M50 roundabout and the Charleston Shopping Centre junction.

Traffic travelling on the inbound N2 will be diverted onto the northbound M50 at M50 Junction 5 N2 and travel to Junction 4 Ballymun. The diversion will then be via the inbound R108 to the IKEA junction and along St. Margaret's Road to Charleston Place where diverted traffic may rejoin the inbound N2.

Traffic exiting the M50 at J5 N2 wishing to use the inbound N2 will be diverted back on to the northbound M50 to follow the same diversion via St. Margaret's Road.

Please click on the below click link for the plan or details of the planned diversion route. The diversion route will be fully signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

cargo wrote: »

The diversion is via the M50. I wonder what traffic prohibited from motorways is supposed to do...

/csd

csd wrote: »
    The diversion is via the M50. I wonder what traffic prohibited from motorways is supposed to do...

/csd
    Use the motorway, it does anyway! The police turn a blind eye to it anyway.

csd wrote: »

/csd

Is that part of the N2 (where it is been closed) covered by motorway restrictions already? I know the N2 to Ashbourne couldn't go full M2 from the M50 NB because a small section of it at the start had to be retained to keep local traffic routes. Is it the same SB on the N2 i.e. is there a local access that non-motorway traffic could have entered from or would you already be in breach of motorway restrictions if you arrived at the diversion in your tractor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Also noticed loads of the large ganteries parked up arounf the junction this morning so I imagine they're lifting these in while they have the reduced flow through the junction this weekend.

From M50.ie

http://m50.ie/index.php?page=advanced-notice-of-overnight-closure-of-the-n2-13th-14th-15th-april-2010

Advanced Notice of Overnight Closure of the N2; 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th April 2010

Please be aware that a section of the inbound (citybound) N2 will be closed between 22:00hrs and 06:00hrs each night on the 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th April. The affected section of the N2 is between the M50 roundabout and the Charleston Shopping Centre junction.

These works on the N2 Interchange are to gradually raise the pavement level on the cityside of the interchange to construct the new freeflow from the N2 Inbound to the M50 SB. The gantry's will be raised on Monday night. During works, all N2 Inbound traffic is diverted onto the M50 NB and a diversion is in place via the IKEA access roads to Charlestown shopping centre and back onto the N2, as the SB off ramp will also be closed.

N2 Outbound traffic will not be effected, except for Monday night when a gantry will be lifted over the N2, alongside the new M50 SB Off Ramp which crosses the N2 roundabout. All outbound traffic will be sent onto the freeflow at Denis Mahoneys leading onto the M50 SB to turn at J6 Blanchardstown

These works on the N2 Interchange are to gradually raise the pavement level on the cityside of the interchange to construct the new freeflow from the N2 Inbound to the M50 SB. The gantry's will be raised on Monday night. During works, all N2 Inbound traffic is diverted onto the M50 NB and a diversion is in place via the IKEA access roads to Charlestown shopping centre and back onto the N2, as the SB off ramp will also be closed.

N2 Outbound traffic will not be effected, except for Monday night when a gantry will be lifted over the N2, alongside the new M50 SB Off Ramp which crosses the N2 roundabout. All outbound traffic will be sent onto the freeflow at Denis Mahoneys leading onto the M50 SB to turn at J6 Blanchardstown

Good stuff M50. Any update on how works are progressing at the M50 NB off ramp free flow at this junction? Are the issues on track to be sorted in a few weeks still?

looks like work on N2 - M50S ramp has been completed

N2 -> M50S freeflow slip to open
    Saturday 24th April Opening Notice of New Free Flow Slip at N2 Interchange

The next Traffic Management phase on the N2 Interchange will see a new on-ramp from the N2 the southbound M50 open. This will replace the existing on-ramp to the southbound M50 which will be closed.

looks like work on N2 - M50S ramp has been completed

N2 -> M50S freeflow slip to open

This freeflow is now open

This freeflow is now open

Is it the N2 outbound to M50S freeflow or N2 inbound to M50S freeflow that has opened? I presume it's the N2 outbound at this stage?

Is it the N2 outbound to M50S freeflow or N2 inbound to M50S freeflow that has opened? I presume it's the N2 outbound at this stage?

The link in an earlier post suggests inbound, as does the map.

• Advertisement

nope. N2 inbound freeflow
    N2 out to M50S is open for ages :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You still have to stop at the lights at the roundabout, so its not full freeflow yet

Davy wrote: »
    You still have to stop at the lights at the roundabout, so its not full freeflow yet

That's what I was thinking so I wondered was it only some change to the outbound onramp that was happening but at least it looks to be taking shape now.

I haven't been around hte N2 junction in a while, only passing over it so it's hard to try take in what stage it's at as you whizz along the mainline.

any update on the M50 to N2 outbound freeflow works?

That's what I was thinking so I wondered was it only some change to the outbound onramp that was happening but at least it looks to be taking shape now.

I haven't been around hte N2 junction in a while, only passing over it so it's hard to try take in what stage it's at as you whizz along the mainline.

any update on the M50 to N2 outbound freeflow works?

Passing through this junction today, the current status seems to be:
    M50 north to N2 north is a way off completion due to the ESB culvert issue mentioned in an earlier post.
    N2 north to M50 north has a lot of work to be done to tie the freeflow bridge into the N2 north. It seems they are doing a lot of work on reinstating a cycling/pedestrian route in this area too that doesn't mix with traffic.
    M50 south to N2 north could be done fairly quickly as now the old slip onto M50 south is closed, there's nothing in the way of completing the loop that would bring traffic around anti-clockwise and under the M50 overpasses.

Finally, they've broken up the old left in left out traffic island at the Charlestown turnoff, which seems to go along with a full signalised junction being installed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Davy wrote: »

Never will be by the looks of things?

Hi M50MGT,

Any chance of a quick update on progress at Junctions 5 & 6 ??

Also is there any possibility that the new layout on the M1N @ the Airport Junction could be made more clear.

Most people whom are not use to using this junction now think that Auxiliary lane 2 is a Northbound lane as the road marking do not indicate this as an Auxiliary lane (the lane markings are the same width as normal lane markings and not of the thicker Auxiliary type), I can see this leading to a major accident especially around the area where the M1 curves back into the old Mainline route, I have seen a lot off lane crossing here as people seem to realise at the last second what they thought was Lane 1 of a three lane motorway is infact Auxiliary lane 2 of the Airport fly off.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

they have started putting in the final section of bridges over the N3 (between M50 and auburn) which will be for M50 southbound traffic.

from what i can see this is the last main structures to go up, should be just a matter of surfacing all these newly constructed bridges.

ciaran75 wrote: »
    they have started putting in the final section of bridges over the N3 (between M50 and auburn) which will be for M50 southbound traffic.

from what i can see this is the last main structures to go up, should be just a matter of surfacing all these newly constructed bridges.

Yeah, I saw the cental section of the last bridge was in place last Friday morning, I was just wondering if the progress on the completion of this junction and the N2 Junction where now on/ahead of schedule because of the recent good weather which we have been having.

celticbest wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw the cental section of the last bridge was in place last Friday morning, I was just wondering if the progress on the completion of this junction and the N2 Junction where now on/ahead of schedule because of the recent good weather which we have been having.

The loop on the city side of the N2 Interchange at the Mercedes garage will be paved this week but an opening date has still not been confirmed. Works on the Ashbourne side have been severely disrupted but the delay in the ESB culvert, but in the next week or so outbound traffic will be shifted closer to the ESB station allowing construction of the access to the freeflow to the M50 NB.

At the N3 Interchange, beam lifts will continue this Wednesday to Saturday with considerable closures and diversions in place from 10pm to 6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

Anyone on the M50N from N4 - M1 junct this evening at about half five would have been treated to some goon in an artic flatbed truck, with a skip lorry on it, with 2 skips on the skip lorry, with rubbish in the upper-most skip, strike ever bridge along the way.

Everyone had to avoid him as he brushed each bridge, with crap scraying down on the road. The grantries were hit but it was just the rubbish, but the skip hit one of the concrete bridges under the Blanch exit pretty hard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement