Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Two more movements on N2 to open this weekend.??? according to dublin city fm. M50 north to city and m50 south to N2 north. True?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Two more movements on N2 to open this weekend.??? according to dublin city fm. M50 north to city and m50 south to N2 north. True?

Both loops from the M50 to the N2 NB & SB will open on Saturday morning at 6am. They will both be a lane gain on the N2, meaning that in each direction there will now be 3 lanes on the N2 under the M50. The right lane will be for M50 only while the other 2 will continue onto the N2. Temporary signage will be placed on the gantry's inbound, while outbound, permanent signage arrows will be uncovered and come into effect. The permanent signage on the off ramps will also come into effect. I will post up a drawing tomorrow showing all available movements

Both loops from the M50 to the N2 NB & SB will open on Saturday morning at 6am. They will both be a lane gain on the N2, meaning that in each direction there will now be 3 lanes on the N2 under the M50. The right lane will be for M50 only while the other 2 will continue onto the N2. Temporary signage will be placed on the gantry's inbound, while outbound, permanent signage arrows will be uncovered and come into effect. The permanent signage on the off ramps will also come into effect. I will post up a drawing tomorrow showing all available movements

N2 Interchange Layout on Monday morning. Both lights remain on inbound to facilitate U-turn at roundabout while outbound signals are both removed

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Hi M50 Traffic mgmt,

I don't know if this has been discussed recently but I was driving along M50 between red cow and exit 11 SB recently. the road surface seems very uneven and i wonder was this whole part put down in haste due to severe traffic restrictions during construction. i observed many cars travelling along and most just seemed to be bouncing along this stretch. the same can be said for the NB section. it's disappointing considering the effort gone into the widening. the northern cross seems to have a much better standard wearing course...

can you comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

I've driven along that stretch and it seemed fine to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

highdef wrote: »
    I've driven along that stretch and it seemed fine to me

I agree with emfifty its very rough and tumble around there. Shoddy finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

N2 Interchange Layout on Monday morning. Both lights remain on inbound to facilitate U-turn at roundabout while outbound signals are both removed

These new loops are great. It's going to look very well when all of the works are finished. Can't see any way for pedestrians through the interchange at
    the moment but a series of bridges are in the process of being built on the northern side of the m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

oddiot wrote: »
    These new loops are great. It's going to look very well when all of the works are finished. Can't see any way for pedestrians through the interchange at
    the moment but a series of bridges are in the process of being built on the northern side of the m50.

Ye their is a lot of the pedestrian route done at this stage, becoming more clear. Their is a shuttle bus running at the minute while its still underway :pac:

The new slips added on saturday are great though, and another set of lights removed from outbound to derry or M50NB. Only thing i noticed this morning, the sign posts suggested lane new separation at the offramp from M50SB, but it was closed off. Signs shouldn't have been up

The next lift at the N2 will happen tonight. Inbound traffic will be diverted via Ballymun and outbound traffic will use the inbound carriageway. This contra-flow setup will be in place from 1am to 5am

The next lift at the N2 will happen tonight. Inbound traffic will be diverted via Ballymun and outbound traffic will use the inbound carriageway. This contra-flow setup will be in place from 1am to 5am

The N2 is really taking shape now, used all the different freeflows over the past 2 days and they are a great help. The M50NB to the city inbound is nice :)

I bet kids will be having fun on the new pedestrian ramp, looks good for bikes :p

• Advertisement

2ni5qgi.jpg

2nsp6xv.jpg
    M50NB to N2/City slip showing new pedestrian bridge

Davy wrote: »
    2ni5qgi.jpg

2nsp6xv.jpg
    M50NB to N2/City slip showing new pedestrian bridge

That bridge is going to be both cooool and daunting. Further work ongoing at the Charlestown junction south of the interchange. Looks like a full set of lights will be installed.

That bridge is going to be both cooool and daunting.

Just to the left of the picture is where it spirals, nearly looks like a water slide.
    Further work ongoing at the Charlestown junction south of the interchange. Looks like a full set of lights will be installed.

Saw the set of poles in place today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Anyone else noticed between Firhouse and Dundrum(both directions) already starting to get bumpier and a worse surface?

The final section of the N2 footbridge will be lifted into place tonight. As a result, the freeflow from the N2 outbound to the M50 NB will be closed from 10. Diversion will be via the N2 outbound to Coldwinters and back Inbound using the freeflow from the N2 inbound to M50 NB

The new pedestrian bridge over the N2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thanks Davy.
    Were you listening to Tom Dunne by any chance when you were filming that? :D

To be honest im not sure what was on the radio, i was trying to get the phone to stay in the holder! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

For M50 MGT,

Hello! Id just like to ask do you know of any plan to actually install the traffic management system on the M50 for which gantries have been installed? It is crazy to still be relying on road side VMS` which arent much good to the car in lane 4 overtaking trucks in lanes 1,2 and 3.

After the incident recently with the truck overturning on the M50 > M1S (Port tunnel) ramp, and the closure of the Slips roads to M1N and M1S, it was chaos as no one knew where to go. The VMS simply read "left lane closed". There were actually 3 lanes closed and no guidance on what route to now use.

The closed lanes should have been marked by red signs in the gantries above, with routing advice given on the large VMS in the gantry. But of course, after spending 1 billion Euro on upgrading the motorway, someone has decided to save money by not installing the system!

If the NRA are reading, this is insane and should be sorted out ASAP. A major accident will result. The M50 is now too big and too busy to not have an active traffic management system, especially since the gantries are already in place for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

runway16 wrote: »
    For M50 MGT,

Hello! Id just like to ask do you know of any plan to actually install the traffic management system on the M50 for which gantries have been installed? It is crazy to still be relying on road side VMS` which arent much good to the car in lane 4 overtaking trucks in lanes 1,2 and 3.

After the incident recently with the truck overturning on the M50 > M1S (Port tunnel) ramp, and the closure of the Slips roads to M1N and M1S, it was chaos as no one knew where to go. The VMS simply read "left lane closed". There were actually 3 lanes closed and no guidance on what route to now use.

The closed lanes should have been marked by red signs in the gantries above, with routing advice given on the large VMS in the gantry. But of course, after spending 1 billion Euro on upgrading the motorway, someone has decided to save money by not installing the system!

If the NRA are reading, this is insane and should be sorted out ASAP. A major accident will result. The M50 is now too big and too busy to not have an active traffic management system, especially since the gantries are already in place for one.

+1...

...the system should be installed ASAP, as well as extensive monitoring. God forbid if anyone's car was to seize up in Lane 3 (Lane 4 is the aux lane) where the median strip is only 1.0m, or worse, the Westlink where there's just enough room for 4 lanes each way and nothing else. The mere idea of it scares me, especially as I'm learning to drive! :eek:

A proper traffic control system (along with robust enforcement) should also ease congestion at peak times.

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

+1...

The mere idea of it scares me, especially as I'm learning to drive! :eek:

A proper traffic control system (along with robust enforcement) should also ease congestion at peak times.

Regards!

Should you be on the motorway at all if you're learning to drive? Perhaps robust enforcement of that rule first - I'm presuming you have a qualified driver in the car with you at all times?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

I've been driving for 10 years and I still say that I am learning to drive. you really do spend your whole life learning to drive. There is no such thing as a perfect driver - we all have our faults. And we learn from our mistakes for our entire driving career.

That being said, if Irish and Proud does only hold a provisional licence, then indeed he/she should not be on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

highdef wrote: »
    I've been driving for 10 years and I still say that I am learning to drive. you really do spend your whole life learning to drive. There is no such thing as a perfect driver - we all have our faults. And we learn from our mistakes for our entire driving career.

not me, my only fault is I'm too modest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I was on the N2 interchange the other day for the first time. Coming onto the M50 southbound from N2 southbound there is a vicious bump in the road. I thought I'd broken something going over it.

There's gonna be accidents if that remains in place for long, it'll break a tyre of wheel hitting it at speed

+1...

...the system should be installed ASAP, as well as extensive monitoring. God forbid if anyone's car was to seize up in Lane 3 (Lane 4 is the aux lane) where the median strip is only 1.0m, or worse, the Westlink where there's just enough room for 4 lanes each way and nothing else. The mere idea of it scares me, especially as I'm learning to drive! :eek:

Regards!

It's been said before that although the gantries are in situ, they are only to facilitate a future project which is not part of the m50 upgrade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Is there any chance anyone could take a video camera and film the length of the M50 from the M1 to the M11? Would give a good idea as to how the road has changed and what is left to do. Very few pictures of the actual upgraded road online.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Is there any chance anyone could take a video camera and film the length of the M50 from the M1 to the M11? Would give a good idea as to how the road has changed and what is left to do. Very few pictures of the actual upgraded road online.

Pay for the tolls, petrol and an hours wages and i will gladly do it for you :)

Its the interchanges that have changed really, each is different to each other. Their is no freeflow slip the same as another. I have another n2 video going northbound from the city, that i will put up, but its pretty boring :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I might be able to do it myself shortly - just have to get a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Should you be on the motorway at all if you're learning to drive? Perhaps robust enforcement of that rule first - I'm presuming you have a qualified driver in the car with you at all times?

Sorry, I was near no motorway when learning to drive - in fact, I obey all regulations (both state and insurance) including having a named driver with me at all times on the public road. What I am saying is that in learning to drive, I myself will have to contend with the said dangers on the M50 in the future - I should have made that clearer. What seems to be common though are young drivers with L-plates and no-one else in the car - I find this quite shocking - are they insured in those circumstances? - To the best of my knowledge, I guess not!

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

God forbid if anyone's car was to seize up in Lane 3 (Lane 4 is the aux lane)

Only in Ireland would lane 4 not be beside lane 3.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement