Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Only in Ireland would lane 4 not be beside lane 3.....

No mate, that's pretty correct. Lanes 1, 2 & 3 are to the right of the thick white broken lane - this is the D3 element as on the Naas Road. Lane 4 is the next additional lane as it's an auxiliary lane, but maybe it should be called Lane A. In the case of having 2 auxiliary lanes, the lanes could be numbered A1 and A2 with A2 next to the Hard Shoulder.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No - there should be a scheme in place that numbers lanes in numerical order or alphabetical order if letters are used.

Changing reality to fit daft schemes is part of the reason the country is feiced....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

M50NB to N2 City - Before the pedestrian bridge was finished

N2 Outbound to M50NB Free Flow Slip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Only in Ireland would lane 4 not be beside lane 3.....

Offically there is no lane 4 on the M50.

You have the Mainline which has lanes 1 to 3 or lanes 1 & 2 depending on were you are on the M50, then you have the Auxiliary lane/s, these cannot be given a number as they are not through lanes they stop & start at junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Maybe M5 Traffic Management can help

Why are there "NO U-Turn" signs on the M50?

Surely a U-Turn is to turn around in a "U" shape and go back the way you came. Surely this is a given on a motorway that you can't do this.

I think these signs should be "No Right Turn" or "No Left Turn" depending if you are on the mainline of the motorway or on the merging slip road.

Surely it would be better to use "Ahead only" arrow.

moto157.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

oddiot wrote: »
    It's been said before that although the gantries are in situ, they are only to facilitate a future project which is not part of the m50 upgrade.

I understand this was mentioned before on the forum, but this isnt what was promised prior to the commencement of the upgrade. I remember reading newspaper articles that this would be an integral part of the upgrade to the M50 and would be installed during construction.

Regardless of when it was promised, the fact that an urban motorway which is 8 lanes wide for most of its running length, with up to 6 lanes on either side at busier interchanges, has opened without a proper traffic management system, is insane.

When you factor in the idiocy which you see of traffic using the wrong lanes, middle lane sitting (they genuinly seem to think you dont use Lane 1), which one only seems to see in Ireland, it was a ridiculous ommision to make.

Even better, all the Motorways and DC's leading into and out of the M50 need one integrated system.

runway16 wrote: »

When you factor in the idiocy which you see of traffic using the wrong lanes, middle lane sitting (they genuinly seem to think you dont use Lane 1), which one only seems to see in Ireland

Is that not a reason against installing them. The amount of poor driving that goes on the m50, would they really pay any attention to overhead messaging.

Even today, the road was practically flooded with the amount of rainfall on it and people still flying past at 120kph. I was in the outside lane at one stage and the guy behind left less then 10 meters of distance between us because i wasn't going over 100kph. Now you dont need VMS to tell you their is heavy rain slow down! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Maybe they need to educate people about how to drive on a motorway with more than two lanes.

The Gardaí should over patrol it for a few weeks and pull over people for,

diving in lane 2 or 3 when there is no traffic in Lane 1 or 2.

under taking (passing people on the left)

they don't have to give tickets, just tell people to drive better.

Davy wrote: »
    Is that not a reason against installing them. The amount of poor driving that goes on the m50, would they really pay any attention to overhead messaging.

Even today, the road was practically flooded with the amount of rainfall on it and people still flying past at 120kph. I was in the outside lane at one stage and the guy behind left less then 10 meters of distance between us because i wasn't going over 100kph. Now you dont need VMS to tell you their is heavy rain slow down! :mad:

I would still argue to install them. Most of these people actually seem to think they are in the right by driving in the centre lane etc. Ive had to move from Lane 1 over to Lane 2, and then to Lane 3 to overtake these people. I stay in lane 2 for a moment hoping that it will dawn on them that they are in the wrong lane, and they will move over to the empty lane 1, but they dont. I must confess to having beeped at one or two of these individuals in my time, but they still plod along in the centre lane.

Some signs may well do the trick. You can drive the M50 when its empty, and still see people in the middle lane. Clearly, they think they are correct, as opposed to them just not caring.

In any case, they are vital for advance information in the event of incidents, thus lessening the possibility of pile ups etc, by warning traffic and slowing it down.

VMS in the gantries would also be useful if only certain lanes need to giving information.

Some examples of there use could be,

If traffic is heavy at an upcoming junction the auxiliary lane and maybe lane 1 could have there speed set to say 60/80km/h while lanes 2 and 3 remain at 100km/h.

If there is an accident ahead the speed limits could be lowered over the space of a km or two using VMS, 1 gantry set to 80km/h and next one set to 60km/h, this could stop a major pile up from occurring.

I think in the long run the cost of installing these signs is far less than the loss of a life.

PS.
    The current VMS signs are only worried about informing you of an upcoming toll, yesterday the traffic on the NB carriageway was crazy after some sort of incident around Junction 6 Blanchardstown, however there was no change of information on the VMS signs that are currently in operation on the M50N ??

• Advertisement

celticbest wrote: »
    VMS in the gantries would also be useful if only certain lanes need to giving information.

Some examples of there use could be,

If traffic is heavy at an upcoming junction the auxiliary lane and maybe lane 1 could have there speed set to say 60/80km/h while lanes 2 and 3 remain at 100km/h.

If there is an accident ahead the speed limits could be lowered over the space of a km or two using VMS, 1 gantry set to 80km/h and next one set to 60km/h, this could stop a major pile up from occurring.

I think in the long run the cost of installing these signs is far less than the loss of a life.

PS.
    The current VMS signs are only worried about informing you of an upcoming toll, yesterday the traffic on the NB carriageway was crazy after some sort of incident around Junction 6 Blanchardstown, however there was no change of information on the VMS signs that are currently in operation on the M50N ??

I agree fully on all points - the NRA shoudk examine to Dutch Motorway traffic control system - it is excellent.

celticbest wrote: »

103.2fm anna livia, or the NRA alerts are the best thing in this type of situation. I got the sms and avoided the crash.

True, but pretty useless for someone who isnt from Dublin and doesnt know these methods.

We need the info system - and even the NRA know it, or they wouldnt have put the gantries up.

103.2fm anna livia, or the NRA alerts are the best thing in this type of situation. I got the sms and avoided the crash.

Davy, I knew about the incident as I was listening to Livedrive on 103.2 Dublin City FM and used lane 1 as this was the fastest moving lane.

Thanks for the NRA alerts links, I've just signed up.

As below from runway16, if you are not a regular user of the Dublin road network you may not know about 103.2, the whole point in VMS is that it is updated to inform motorists of upcoming road conditions.
    runway16 wrote: »
    True, but pretty useless for someone who isnt from Dublin and doesnt know these methods.

We need the info system - and even the NRA know it, or they wouldnt have put the gantries up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Is there a charge for receiving the NRA texts? Presume this service covers N and M roads or just M roads?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Is there a charge for receiving the NRA texts? Presume this service covers N and M roads or just M roads?

They are free and always have been. They only cover the m50 and m1 usually. You will get ones from the likes of n2, n3, n4 etc but dont hear that much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Any news on how the N3 junction is going? Any sign of new slips opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

cargo wrote: »
    Any news on how the N3 junction is going? Any sign of new slips opening?

Lots of work going on but it still looks ages away before anything opens

I cannot wait until the M50N to N3N Freeflow is opened so they can finally open lane 1 under Blanchardstown Junction 6 NB. This is a real mess and the cause of the only major mainline hold up everyday during peak times.

Has anyone any update on when this part of the junction will open?

The N3 outbound from M50NB looks pretty good. The bridge section on the m50 itself looks finished, and the larger section over the n3 has most of the concrete in at this stage. They were pumping a fair bit last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They'll have to open N3E->M50S before they can open M50N>N3W as the slip for M50N>N3W cuts straight across the on-ramp from the roundabout, which will need to be closed before the freeflow can open.

(I can't wait for N3E->M50S as that's the one I use regularly).

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Stark wrote: »
    They'll have to open N3E->M50S before they can open M50N>N3W as the slip for M50N>N3W cuts straight across the on-ramp from the roundabout, which will need to be closed before the freeflow can open.

(I can't wait for N3E->M50S as that's the one I use regularly).

Agreed. I think the opening order will be as follows:

1. N3E > M50S & N3E > City (via new slip towards auburn ave junction)
    2. Block scott's junction to m50 rab eastbound. Push all eastbound traffic onto new N3 (blanch village traffic to use new overbridge beside total fitness, merging with City/M50N > N3W traffic). Now old M50S on-ramp can be removed, and works can be done to N3W from scott's onwards. Blanch to m50 probably forced to divert (via next overbridge to west) for a while.
    3. M50N > N3W and M50S > N3W opens, probably reducing to one lane approaching Scott's, feeding into the right hand lane of N3W.
    4. Lots of overnight and weekend pain around scotts until new layout is completed. Reopen Scott's to old m50 rab.

I think City -> N3 west will feel maximum pain between the start of 3 and the end of 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

MrDerp wrote: »
    Agreed. I think the opening order will be as follows:

1. N3E > M50S & N3E > City (via new slip towards auburn ave junction)
    2. Block scott's junction to m50 rab eastbound. Push all eastbound traffic onto new N3 (blanch village traffic to use new overbridge beside total fitness, merging with City/M50N > N3W traffic). Now old M50S on-ramp can be removed, and works can be done to N3W from scott's onwards. Blanch to m50 probably forced to divert (via next overbridge to west) for a while.
    3. M50N > N3W and M50S > N3W opens, probably reducing to one lane approaching Scott's, feeding into the right hand lane of N3W.
    4. Lots of overnight and weekend pain around scotts until new layout is completed. Reopen Scott's to old m50 rab.

I think City -> N3 west will feel maximum pain between the start of 3 and the end of 4.

Next phase of this interchange currently being finalised. Should have a plan this week. Probably be implemented next weekend (26th June). Date and scheme subject to agreement with usual authorities, Garda, HSE Fingal etc etc

Next phase of this interchange currently being finalised. Should have a plan this week. Probably be implemented next weekend (26th June). Date and scheme subject to agreement with usual authorities, Garda, HSE Fingal etc etc

M50MGT, Good to hear this junction upgrade is moving along, can you please post the plan once agreement has been reached with all authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

never mind the authorities and get on with the build.
    more banana republic stuff.

drives me round the m50:)

@ M50mgt

Do you have road sweeper patrolling the mainlines?

I got a chipped windscreen last week on the m50, and have since notice their is quite a bit of stones and debris along the median mostly. 2 bastard stones managed to hit me and now the windscreen has to be replaced

@ M50mgt

Do you have road sweeper patrolling the mainlines?

I got a chipped windscreen last week on the m50, and have since notice their is quite a bit of stones and debris along the median mostly. 2 bastard stones managed to hit me and now the windscreen has to be replaced
    +1, the centre Median badly needs to be cleaned up, there's all sorts of debris in it, this really needs to be done on a regular basis.

M50MGT, can you also please confirm if there will be any planting done in between the concrete median barriers, as there seem to be a lot of weeds growing in the sections with two separate barriers between the mainlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Tomorrow morning there will be a temporary layout from the N32 to the M50 South. To build a new merge lane in the median we have to remove the permanent barrier. For a few weeks the attached layout will be in place to do these works

Tomorrow morning there will be a temporary layout from the N32 to the M50 South. To build a new merge lane in the median we have to remove the permanent barrier. For a few weeks the attached layout will be in place to do these works

Why the design change all of a sudden?

• Advertisement

Why the design change all of a sudden?

Because the existing lane markings were confusing and increasing the risk of collisions!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement