Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Because the existing lane markings were confusing and increasing the risk of collisions!

I wouldn't say confusing, just poorly designed. I said there would be accidents at that spot after it just opened. My point was why wasn't it done right in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Tomorrow morning there will be a temporary layout from the N32 to the M50 South. To build a new merge lane in the median we have to remove the permanent barrier. For a few weeks the attached layout will be in place to do these works

You missed the one where they shut the M1(S) to M50 slip at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

SeaSide wrote: »
    You missed the one where they shut the M1(S) to M50 slip at the same time

They seem to have remarked the lanes on the Freeflow from the M1S to M50S around the merge with the M50, they have made the curve less severe, especially on Lane 2 of the Freelow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Next phase of this interchange currently being finalised. Should have a plan this week. Probably be implemented next weekend (26th June). Date and scheme subject to agreement with usual authorities, Garda, HSE Fingal etc etc

didn't notice any changes when I passed by. Was this proposal shelved?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Godge wrote: »
    didn't notice any changes when I passed by. Was this proposal shelved?

There's a lot of surfacing activity on the new N3 section east bound, though it seems to be prioritising the left two lanes.

This would indicate to me that we'll see an opening of the N3 East > City this weekend.

The surface is also laid on N3 East up to the divide for city/M50S. So who knows, if they finish surfacing the new bridge there then maybe we'll get N3 East > M50S free flow then too, or soon afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

I've attached the TM plan for the next phase of the N3 works. This layout will be implemented mid/late next week. The N3 inbound will be diverted onto the new M3 section at Scott's to construct the new M3 outbound, and as a result lane designation inbound will change:

• Lane 1 will now be for M50 Southbound & Blanchardstown village
    • Lane 2 will be for M50 Northbound
    • Lane 3 will be for City
    The new bridge from the N3 Inbound to the M50 SB will not be ready for another 8 weeks so in the meantime traffic wishing to access the M50 SB will have to leave the N3 at Scott's via the new off ramp for the hospital and use the new bridge at Total Fitness to get back onto the existing route. The new freeflow slip to the M50 SB will be opened in 8 weeks. This will be followed by the freeflow slip from the M50 SB to the N3 outbound

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The N3 inbound will be diverted onto the new M3 section at Scott's to construct the new M3 outbound, and as a result lane designation inbound will change:

I expect the "M" is a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I've attached the TM plan for the next phase of the N3 works. This layout will be implemented mid/late next week. The N3 inbound will be diverted onto the new M3 section at Scott's to construct the new M3 outbound, and as a result lane designation inbound will change:

• Lane 1 will now be for M50 Southbound & Blanchardstown village
    • Lane 2 will be for M50 Northbound
    • Lane 3 will be for City
    The new bridge from the N3 Inbound to the M50 SB will not be ready for another 8 weeks so in the meantime traffic wishing to access the M50 SB will have to leave the N3 at Scott's via the new off ramp for the hospital and use the new bridge at Total Fitness to get back onto the existing route. The new freeflow slip to the M50 SB will be opened in 8 weeks. This will be followed by the freeflow slip from the M50 SB to the N3 outbound

Stone madness. It's a good plan, and I've no doubt all the traffic flow figures stack up to make this workable, but I have grave doubts as to the practicality - mainly due to appalling driver behaviour and education we have here.

The 1% of people that read information like this will be forewarned. The 10% of Irish drivers who read signs on the fly and adapt will get it first day. The selfish and the rest will cause havoc. You're changing everyone's lane, and proposing to change them back again in 8 weeks?

This will cause havoc in the mornings, and will make the evenings look like the mornings.

Lane 1 is going to back up immediately. Lane 2 will be filled with people wanting to exit for the new bridge at the last minute.

Lane 3 will be full of:
    • The most aggressive of the last minute lane jumpers (of which there are plenty) - at least under current conditions many of these are in lane 3 anyway.
    • Drivers who can't adapt in real time to driving conditions
    • All of the M50N and City traffic
    Why can't the M50S traffic continue up from scott's as usual, re-double your efforts on the new N3 east to M50S bridge for 4 weeks, and only then come back and divert all remaining traffic onto the new N3 for the reconfig at Scotts?

The one good element to this plan will be Blanchardstown on-ramp traffic not crossing from lane 1 to 3

MGT, will this allow for more green time for traffic coming from the M50S to N3 inbound, as the queue is getting worse day by day at this junction ?

Just wondering if anybody knows why there are still cones in place at different points along the M50 were works seem to be complete??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

celticbest wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody knows why there are still cones in place at different points along the M50 were works seem to be complete??

to give the impression of work being done?

to give the impression of work being done?

:D, like it......or are they just to busy to collect them?

:D, like it......or are they just to busy to collect them?

More likely, there's not enough money left in the pot to finance their collection. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The N3 inbound's looking good and quite close to pening soon. Only a few days left before we get backed up at Auburn Avenue instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

MrDerp wrote: »

Why can't the M50S traffic continue up from scott's as usual, re-double your efforts on the new N3 east to M50S bridge for 4 weeks, and only then come back and divert all remaining traffic onto the new N3 for the reconfig at Scotts?

The one good element to this plan will be Blanchardstown on-ramp traffic not crossing from lane 1 to 3

I imagine the "8 weeks" is probably due to the concrete deck curing period. there was a lot of concrete put into that bridge and only recently finished up the pour so I presume it needs time to cure.

plantmans wrote: »

What's that in aid of..................:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a spammer. I reported it earlier.

I've attached a flyer in relation to the N3 interchange

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Thanks. Shouldn't it be Tuesday 13th July? (not not June) :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There is going to be carnage here. Irish people won't grasp the concept of getting in the left lane to go right, the middle lane to go left and the right hand lane to go straight.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Shouldn't it be Tuesday 13th July? (not not June) :confused:

Correct, amendment made

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

MGT, will this allow for more green time for traffic coming from the M50S to N3 inbound, as the queue is getting worse day by day at this junction ?

M50MGT, Can you please confirm if above will happen from next Tuesday ?

The green time currenty given to the off ramps will be greatly increased from Tuesday as all inbound traffic will not use the roundabout.

Also, I've attached the revised flyer

The green time currenty given to the off ramps will be greatly increased from Tuesday as all inbound traffic will not use the roundabout.

Great news M50MGT. Cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Has anyone else noticed the extremely poor standard of landscaping and general cleanliness of the M50?

Drove along from the M1 to N7 two evenings ago, and noticed weeds growing at the sides, rubbish littering the route, and all the construction detritus, such as chippings just brushed into the median instead of being swept up.

M5OMGT, so you know if there are plans to properly landscape the route once all works are complete?

Given the M50 concession are managing the route, and they earn very handsome toll revenues, one would at least expect them to keep the route looking well? Its a disgrace currently!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I raised the point earlier in the thread, but i didn't get an answer to the question. I know they have about 4 gritters, but i have never seen a road sweeper on patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

I think an e-mail should be dispatched to M50 concession. For a company that probably makes close to half a million a day in toll revenue, the state of Dublin's premier Motorway is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

runway16 wrote: »
    I think an e-mail should be dispatched to M50 concession. For a company that probably makes close to half a million a day in toll revenue, the state of Dublin's premier Motorway is disgraceful.

The tolling operator and M50 Concession are unconnected (despite the profits from one effectively being used to pay the other).

M50 Concession are paid a fixed price to do the upgrade and maintain the motorway; the tolling operator collect tolls for the NRA.

• Advertisement

the centre Median badly needs to be cleaned up, there's all sorts of debris in it, this really needs to be done on a regular basis.

M50MGT, can you also please confirm if there will be any planting done in between the concrete median barriers, as there seem to be a lot of weeds growing in the sections with two separate barriers between the mainlines.

I have also asked this question in the past and am still currently awaiting an answer.......................

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement