Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I've attached a flyer in relation to the N3 interchange

Looks like i am going to have lots of "fun" coming from Snugborough Road/Waterville and than having to cross 3 lanes to get to the city centre lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

inforfun wrote: »
    Looks like i am going to have lots of "fun" coming from Snugborough Road/Waterville and than having to cross 3 lanes to get to the city centre lane.

You think it's going to be bad in a car? That's the way the 38A goes, how much fun is it going to be watching a double decker bus do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Ah Ok, I didnt realise that. Still, compae how M50 maintain the motorway and how CRG maintain their stretches. Much better. The M50 looks like a dogs breakfast. It badly needs a clean up.

I just drove past (outbound) so couldn't get a good look but I think they've put the signage in place for the final layout inbound, which of course has us in different lanes to what we're supposed to be on Tuesday. Will these be covered up over the weekend or are they just there to add to the fun on Tuesday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

On the N3 inbound this evening there were new temporary overhead lane designation signs on the last overpass bridge before Scotts, slight problem however the signs were set up for the new layout which won't be in place until next week!

• Advertisement

You think it's going to be bad in a car? That's the way the 38A goes, how much fun is it going to be watching a double decker bus do the same!

Didnt really think of that. Where i am from the bus drivers wouldnt give a ****e. Indicator on and there you go.
    Believe it or not, most bus drivers here surprise me the way they behave on the road. And i mean that in a positive way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

We have been in consultation with Dublin Bus and depending on how heavy the traffic is, the citybound routes have the option of using lane 1 and going the old way or using lane 3 and using the new freeflow to Auburn.

Also, on the temporary signage on the inbound, this has been changed and reflects the current layout. It will be changed again on Monday night to hopefully get motorists in the correct lanes before Snugborough and avoid weaving. Traffic from Snugborough can continue in lane 1 and use the blue route to all destinations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

With the new layout will it still mean that cars will have to stop at the lights on Auburn Ave or will there be freeflowing traffic all the way to the lights just after the Halfway House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There is going to be carnage here. Irish people won't grasp the concept of getting in the left lane to go right, the middle lane to go left and the right hand lane to go straight.

in fairness, this type of "turn left to go right type" model is already in place on the new inbound N4 and N7 interchanges and I don't recall hearing any issues. Sure, there might be a few familiarity issues for the first time but I'd say motorists will get used to it quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

The green time currenty given to the off ramps will be greatly increased from Tuesday as all inbound traffic will not use the roundabout.

Also, I've attached the revised flyer

Hi M50 - sorry confused by this - are you guys talking about the roundabout at the M50/N3 interchange? In the new arrangement from tuesday, the inbound and N3 to M50 southbound will still use that roundabout. If anything - the traffic on this roundabout will be worse because of Blanch traffic.

thanks!!

• Advertisement

The big problem on Tuesday's going to be if there are delays at the Auburn Avenue traffic lights that cause a backup on the N3 inbound lane, people are going to drive in the empty M50 Northbound and M50 Southbound/Blanchardstown lanes and then expect to be let in at the last minute

The big problem on Tuesday's going to be if there are delays at the Auburn Avenue traffic lights that cause a backup on the N3 inbound lane, people are going to drive in the empty M50 Northbound and M50 Southbound/Blanchardstown lanes and then expect to be let in at the last minute

Auburn Ave Roundabout is currently being wired up by Serco and will be fully opened by 4pm. This will be 4 lanes inbound - the current 2 from the rotary and an additional 2 from the scheme being opened in the morning. The main roundabout will have all the Blanchardstown traffic on it tomorrow but it will loose all citybound traffic from the N3, thus giving the southbound off ramp extra green time

Auburn Ave Roundabout is currently being wired up by Serco and will be fully opened by 4pm.

How's that 4pm opening working out for you? Absolute chaos at the moment coming down Auburn Avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

Heard on the radio this morning that the new layout using the gym bridge was postponed. Looking across the road this morning I can see the road is still covered in junk (piping etc). What went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Can someone clarify the purpose of the hard shoulder on the M50? It's barely wide enough to fit a car never mind to open your door and get out and forget about parking a van or truck. The frustrating thing is there is ample room to put a decent size hard shoulder in. Am I missing it's intended purpose? Cause it certainly isn't for emergency parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

pc123 wrote: »
    Heard on the radio this morning that the new layout using the gym bridge was postponed. Looking across the road this morning I can see the road is still covered in junk (piping etc). What went wrong?

It's an absolute joke, this is not the first time that they have failed to open a junction on a specified day, I remember the opening of the M1/M50 Freeflow was put back a few times

Surely they would have know yesterday that it was not going to open this morning and let people know..........only in Ireland.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

M50.ie has update saying
    N3 New Traffic Layout

Please be advised, the change in Traffic Layout at the N3 Interchange has been postponed until further notice. M50 Concession Limited will give advance notice in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

celticbest wrote: »
    Surely they would have know yesterday that it was not going to open this morning and let people know..........only in Ireland.:mad:

The really stupid thing was that flyers were being given out yesterday morning at the Blanchardstown junction (opposite the hospital) saying that the new layout was starting today! What happened between then and now?:mad:

I joined the N3 inbound at the Waterville slip this morning, sticking to the left lane for M50 southbound, only to find the old signage and generic messages on the multi-function displays.

Sick to the teeth of the sheer incompetence and lack of care shown during the upgrade.

Apparently we're back on for tomorrow now but don't hold your breath.....

On a positive note, it looks like you can turn right from River Road onto the N3 outbound at Auburn Avenue again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MessyRedBlue

From AA Roadwatchwebsite:
    * Road conditions are wet so drive with extra care. *MAIN TRAFFIC* * A major change in traffic layout will go ahead for 6am Wednesday, 14th July on the N3/Navan Rd inbound approaching the M50. Overnight lane restrictions will be in operation to facilitate the change of layout from 10pm until 6am. * No traffic delays reported for the M50 in either direction. * No delays reported for Dublin City centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Looks like there will be a fixed camera going in just south of Firhouse on the northbound carriageway-noticed road markings on the road this evening.

Apparently we're back on for tomorrow now but don't hold your breath.....

On a positive note, it looks like you can turn right from River Road onto the N3 outbound at Auburn Avenue again.

It is open indeed.
    But as i came from the opposite direction i can not really tell if things were working well or not.
    Certainly because i am around that place pretty early, around 7.15am.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Took the n3 inbound just after 8am. It worked very well - freeflow the whole way. Traffic for the M50N and S also moved very quickly. Inbound traffic on the Navan road, however, was backed up from Ashtown roundabout to a point before the "new" bridge - a ittle worse than usual (though it still cleared fairly quickly).

richardjjd wrote: »
    Inbound traffic on the Navan road, however, was backed up from Ashtown roundabout to a point before the "new" bridge - a ittle worse than usual (though it still cleared fairly quickly).

That will always remain a problem as it is going from 2 lanes to 1 and everybody trying to squeeze in at the last moment.
    Thankfully i always go against the flow, in the morning direction Navan, afternoon direction city centre :D

The new freeflow from the N3 Inbound to Auburn Ave opened at 6:30am this morning. There were no delays during the morning peak but some motorists are still getting used to the new layout. Things should settle down in the next few days. The delay in opening on Tuesday was a last minute hitch with Iarnrod Eireann in relation to opening the new bridge but this was sorted out yesterday.

Apologies for this scheme opening a day later than advertised but we had no option but to cancel on Monday evening, hence the short notice.

Next phase will be opening the freeflow from the N3 Inbound to M50 SB and M50 SB Freeflow to N3 Outbound

M50 Traffic Management

celticbest wrote: »
    MGT, will this allow for more green time for traffic coming from the M50S to N3 inbound, as the queue is getting worse day by day at this junction ?
    The green time currenty given to the off ramps will be greatly increased from Tuesday as all inbound traffic will not use the roundabout.

Also, I've attached the revised flyer
    The new freeflow from the N3 Inbound to Auburn Ave opened at 6:30am this morning. There were no delays during the morning peak but some motorists are still getting used to the new layout. Things should settle down in the next few days. The delay in opening on Tuesday was a last minute hitch with Iarnrod Eireann in relation to opening the new bridge but this was sorted out yesterday.

Apologies for this scheme opening a day later than advertised but we had no option but to cancel on Monday evening, hence the short notice.

Hi M50MGT,

Can you please confirm when the extra green time will be given to traffic exiting the M50SB @ Junction 6 now that both the M50NB & N3 inbound freeflow slips are open & as per above this should have happened.

I used this Off Ramp this morning and the traffic was backed up the same as ever & there seemed to be no extra green time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Next phase will be opening the freeflow from the N3 Inbound to M50 SB and M50 SB Freeflow to N3 Outbound

M50 Traffic Management

Great stuff M50. Any idea how many weeks the next phases are away? I think you were hoping around 8 weeks for the inbound to M50SB freeflow. Is this about right?

The new bridge from the N3 Inbound to the M50 SB will not be ready for another 8 weeks so in the meantime traffic wishing to access the M50 SB will have to leave the N3 at Scott's via the new off ramp for the hospital and use the new bridge at Total Fitness to get back onto the existing route. The new freeflow slip to the M50 SB will be opened in 8 weeks. This will be followed by the freeflow slip from the M50 SB to the N3 outbound
    cargo wrote: »
    Great stuff M50. Any idea how many weeks the next phases are away? I think you were hoping around 8 weeks for the inbound to M50SB freeflow. Is this about right?

Original Post above by M50MGT was on the 01.07.2010, 2 weeks ago, therefore there are only 6 week left before the Junction is due to be fully opened (around 19.08.2010).

Hopefully the 3 mainline lanes under junction 6 on the M50NB will also open on this date if not earlier to relieve the jam that occurs here during rush hour everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Signage was left in the median, but just turned around, so if your coming northbound after blanch, it looks like lane 3 and lane 4 are about to close.

Ok if you have sense you will realise as the distance markings go from 200m upwards, but still it should have been removed, or folded and left on its side in the median.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement