Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool finish 5th or 4th and win the CL?

• 13-02-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

Just thinking about this today....

if Liverpool finish 4th and win the CL, i would class that as a super season, the CL being the biggest trophy in club football.

granted, league finishing place would be a disappointment though. (although i'm kinda of the opinion, that first is first, 2nd is nothing when it comes to the league)

BUT!

i think i would actually prefer for us to finish 5th in the league and win the CL, meaning that if Everton were to finish 4th in the league they still wouldnt get into the Champions league!

any Liverpool fans agree?

Finish 4th or 5th AND winning the Champions League? 14 votes

Yea-Everton would never recover from the shock,hilarious!
    0% 0 votes
    Nah, We HAVE to finish above Everton in the league!
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Shouldn't this be in the Liverpool thread ? What exactly are the options ?

A) Finish 4th and dont win anything in Europe
    B) Finiah 5th and win champions league

Of course everyone will go with b. Didn't they change the rules recently so that the winner of the CL automatically qualifies the following year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he's asking,

Would Liverpool fans rather finish
    4th and win the CL
    OR
    5th and win the CL
    thereby taking Evertons CL spot.

Personally I'd prefer what I feel is the right option,
    finish 5th, win the CL, and don't get into the CL, but that's a whole other debate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thats exactly wat i'm asking PHB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Eh I'd rather beat them on merit in the league thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

finish 5th and win the CL FTW:D ha ha that would great:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If we win the CL I have not a care in the world where we end up in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Mr Alan wrote: »
    granted, league finishing place would be a disappointment though. (although i'm kinda of the opinion, that first is first, 2nd is nothing when it comes to the league)

no. 2nd would be progression. major progression.
    i think i would actually prefer for us to finish 5th in the league and win the CL, meaning that if Everton were to finish 4th in the league they still wouldnt get into the Champions league!

what are you 12? could personally give a flying fcuk about everton tbh. they havent been on our radar since 1980-something, except in 2005. the day i'm happy about finishing below everton or anyone in the league is the day i stop following the team.

so to answer the orignal question, i'll be happy when we win the league, the champions league, the fa cup, the league cup, the super cup, the mars bar cup, the charity shield, the lot.

ps. i'll settle for the league though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I mistook it, though it meant come 4th, or come 5th and in CL.

I voted for the second (the first option on the poll), but if we win the CL either way, i'd prefer we came 4th as well. Its already a bad season, finishing as far behind the top 3 as we would need to to finish 5th would be pretty terrible going. At least finishing 4th, we have the possibility of gaining a little ground on the teams we should be amongst. We really shouldn't be down slogging away with everton and pompey etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Even bottom 3?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Because you know you won't win the league. If Liverpool were top now or in serious contention you wouldn't be saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Well if thats the case, 4th and the champions league, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Because you know you won't win the league. If Liverpool were top now or in serious contention you wouldn't be saying that.

Yeah, correct. So? We can't get relegated now. And we can't win. So if we win the CL we get into it for next year. So if someone says "you get to win the CL and..." my brain shuts off at that point because the rest is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Pointless and stupid question tbh. I can't believe some Liverpool "fans" would choose to make a piss-poor league compaign even worse just so they could rub it into the faces of the Evertonians.

Finish 5th and you don't deserve to be in the Champions League, regardless of if you win it the year before. And being honest any supporters who would want their team to do worse then they already are in the league don't deserve to be supporting a team in the CL

deise59 wrote: »
    Pointless and stupid question tbh.

yea- your face!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Dont think it's pointless and stupid at all.i couldnt care less where we finish in the league if we win the champs league again.Biggest competion in world football after all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

ha ha ha ha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

More babble from Mr Alan! You've been banging on all season long in the Liverpool thread how winning the league would be nice but the most important thing is to CHALLENGE for it. Now you're dismissing a whole seasons worth of opinions and have performed a complete U-Turn by stating that 1st is all that matters, anything else doesn't matter!

You're a gas man Mr Alan.

not as gas as you Pighead.

Yes i feel it is important for Liverpool to challenge for the title this season, but that doesnt really look too possible now does it?

not as gas as you Pighead.

Yes i feel it is important for Liverpool to challenge for the title this season, but that doesnt really look too possible now does it?

So you change opinions when your original opinion isn't working out anymore. Fair enough I'll fix your original quote so.
    although i'm kinda of the opinion, that first is first, 2nd is nothing when it comes to the league, seeing as how Liverpool aren't going to come 2nd now.

• Advertisement

good work

keep it up

good work

keep it up
    Cheers buddy! Means a lot. Its not easy keeping abreast of all your Alanisms.

i'm sure you'll be able to manage, if i'm not making it easy for ya, be sure to let me know.

top man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

lets see who will win the derby in anfield and we can come back to this post then huh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I think the very fact that this thread exists means that Liverpool fans acknowedge the blue threat =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Where is the most likely option of Liverpool finishing 5th and winning feck all!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

patmac wrote: »
    Where is the most likely option of Liverpool finishing 5th and winning feck all!;)

Damn you got there before me!

That's the dream situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Pighead wrote: »
    Cheers buddy! Means a lot. Its not easy keeping abreast of all your Alanisms.

More great Alanism's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

patmac wrote:
    Where is the most likely option of Liverpool finishing 5th and winning feck all!

Damn you got there before me too! (Villa fan :D)

If Liverpool fans think it's a two horse race for 4th place between the clubs across from Stanley Park then they have another thing coming ;)

• Advertisement

jaysus folks, get your knickers out of their twists!

of course Liverpool fans should acknoledge Everton as a threat, and City and Villa.

lets see who will win the derby in anfield and we can come back to this post then huh.

Why?! ye planning on parking the team bus on the goal-line again?:D

astrofool wrote: »

So funny.

"Sh*t! Did you see that?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Why?! ye planning on parking the team bus on the goal-line again?:D

Nothing wrong with parking the open top bus on the goal line in order to win a derby :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Man City, Everton, Aston Villa.....yeah fair play for a good season and all. But ultimately Liverpool will finish fourth and the others will be scrapping for a UEFA Cup spot. End of story. It's nice though that you's can talk of a Champions League spot and feel what's it's like to support a big club for a while. That's not bragging cos that's still a sh!t season for Liverpool.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Man City, Everton, Aston Villa.....yeah fair play for a good season and all. But ultimately Liverpool will finish fourth and the others will be scrapping for a UEFA Cup spot. End of story. It's nice though that you's can talk of a Champions League spot and feel what's it's like to support a big club for a while. That's not bragging cos that's still a sh!t season for Liverpool.

Eh that is "bragging" if I ever saw it. Its one more reasons why people don't like Liverpool fans tbh.

• Advertisement

that was a pretty smug post in fairness monkey! :)

that was a pretty smug post in fairness monkey! :)

Yeah i know. It felt great though, i'm not gonna lie. I feel much better for it now.

i just hope it doesnt come back and bite ya in the arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

any Liverpool fans agree?

It's like a school ground in here!!!!!

Football is a game, you're aware of that?

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah i know. It felt great though, i'm not gonna lie. I feel much better for it now.
    i just hope it doesnt come back and bite ya in the arse!

Bookmarked for further reference.

MrJoeSoap, i'm sure you're not the only one to bookmark it! :)

and btw, "that why people dont like Liverpool fans" was a bit harsh!

i think people just dont like fans of clubs that arent the same as their choice! pretty sure its nothing personal against Liverpool!

and btw, "that why people dont like Liverpool fans" was a bit harsh!

i think people just dont like fans of clubs that arent the same as their choice! pretty sure its nothing personal against Liverpool!

Oh it is...

I "dislike", for want of a better word, Liverpool fans in general more than United, Arsenal or Chelsea fans. I don't know what specifically it is, and its not every Liverpool fan, but I do. Might be the Everton connection in my house kicking in, or the fact that they are worse than the England fans re: 1966 when it comes to boasting about history whilst consistently underperforming in the league.

Anyway, don't take it personally.

History? 2005? 2006?

Liverpool have a lot to be proud of in the very recent past.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Bookmarked for further reference.

I will stand by these comments come May.

ffs Batesy....we have a better team than last year and 2005!???!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Anyone that thinks Liverpool have even a chance of winning the Champions League this season is a Nutcase! (I'm a Pool fan by the way, we're just not good enough this year)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Pighead has already won this thread.

internet over for today

Batesy wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks Liverpool have even a chance of winning the Champions League this season is a Nutcase! (I'm a Pool fan by the way, we're just not good enough this year)

Eh....even i'm not that smug. Nobody on this thread has mentioned winning the league this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Lfc fans seem to think they have a divine right to be in the top of the league and the cl automatically, which is bollocks, I can recall your last 4 wins off the drop of my hat so tbh ye need to get your head out of the gutter as ye are absolute gash all season , i mean for a so called big club.!
    EFC on the other hand never claim to be challenging for a league every season or even about finishing in the top of the table, because we know we have not got the strength to challenge that far.

Villa and City are having great seasons so it looks like this so called top 4 monopoly is going all pete thong.......

how bad:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement